web analytics

Newcastle Maintain Interest in Greek Star

Newcastle United have watched Greek wingback or defender Vasilis Torosidis several times since January of this year.

vasilis-torosidis-1.jpg

Vasilis Torosidis – promising young Greek wingback

This must be the 5th player we have been linked with, and that’s just for today. 😀

Anyway, we will track all players we are said to be interested in over the summer, and then see who exactly we end up with, but take the stories with a pinch of salt.

However this lad looks good, and this is not the first time we’ve reported Newcastle’s interest in the player.

The 22-year-old Greek International has also impressed Ibrox manager Walter Smith but Olympiakos are said to want £4M before they will allow him to leave.

Although other clubs are tracking the youngster, Newcastle are said to be favorites to get Torosidis and he seems to be the type the Tyneside club are after, as he will only improve as he gets older.

The 11-times capped player who stands 6’2” tall will play alongside former Rangers defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos for the Greek national team at the European 2008 Championships this summer.

The 22 year old is rated highly in Greece as an attacking full-back, and the boy has put in some excellent performances this season for Olympiakos.

His form this season has alerted a number of clubs with scouts from Juventus, Monaco, and Atletico Madrid also allegedly at the Karaiskaki Stadium this season to watch Torosidis.

Here is Vasilis’ playing record so far:

Years 	   Club 	   App Goals

2002-2006  Skoda Xanthi     76   3
2006-      Olympiacos CFP   31   2
2007- 	   Greece 	    11   0

Comments very welcome.

May 27, 2008 at 10:12 PM

lol…thats what it seems like anyway…

I think they have forgot to sell 🙂

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 27, 2008 at 10:12 PM

17- thats what they set it at, do you recon its true we have bid for arda atlast?

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 27, 2008 at 10:14 PM

they will sell mate, they have to sell there prize asset toon supporting dimitar

• Toon1978

May 27, 2008 at 10:14 PM

I hope it is true GG7 just to beat then bloody Spuds to a good player. Lets wait and hope looks like Emana, Arda up to now and lets hope we snap them up sooner rather then later.

May 27, 2008 at 10:16 PM

how class would that be…They can f*cking have modric ..We’ll just take there best player ever in there shite history…

• Danny

May 27, 2008 at 10:16 PM

We need to bid for somebody I reckon….Once one is in the rest should be impressed with the ambition!

Not to mention the chance to play in front of 52,000 of us plonkers every week…lol

Gomis or Turan should start the ball rolling….

Lets hope keegan and wise were at that france game…The bloody should have been! haha

May 27, 2008 at 10:17 PM

that emana guy does’nt look too bad…seen him score a goal from about 80 yards…Made beckams goal look pants

• Ross

May 27, 2008 at 10:20 PM

they do look like theyve forgotten to sell! they’ll keep dimitar though, unless he ends up at man utd for some reason.
    if we managed to get conformation of 2 of the 3 from gomis, turan and emana within the next month or so, i’d be pretty happy.

• Toon1978

May 27, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Ideal signings that would excite the fans would be..

Gomis
    Gomez
    Arda
    Metzelder
    SWP
    Shorey or Riise

Even if we get ONE of those players i would be happy.

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 27, 2008 at 10:21 PM

class goal wasnt it.

GS FAN, WE NEEEEEEEEDDDDD YOUUUUU!

• Hadrian

May 27, 2008 at 10:27 PM

spurs are trying to hijack the deal for dos santos .

May 27, 2008 at 10:27 PM

gs fan is a bit like superman ..you call and he apears and clears all the speculation up 🙂

• GSfan

May 27, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Right just going to translate the article linked by Martins. Btw that source is a well known sports newspaper in Turkey, though they do fill their pages with made up rumours every now and then (better than many of the other sources that have been quoted before though). The article is called “The Arda panic”.

In one week time or so Galatasaray is expecting board members of Newcastle United to knock on their door for Arda Turan once again. In the talks that happened during the past week Adnan Polat demanded about 16.5m euros for Arda. It is also known that Tottenham is interested for the player.

Newcastle United seem to be drawing closer to Arda. The English team’s representatives are closely watching Arda, even the friendly matches he plays in, and seems to have more of an apetite for him than before. The Newcastle board seems to want to make a move for Arda before the European Championships in case his price may go up too much.

May 27, 2008 at 10:30 PM

has anyone noticed that the newcastle official website has’nt been updated in about a month..

I wonder are they waiting to annouce something big soon..Like Turan signs for newcastle for life

• Ross

May 27, 2008 at 10:31 PM

hadrian, spurs are trying to hijack who’s deal for dos santos?..its their deal is it not? :S
    GG7, emana scores a few canny goals in that video like! the flick from the tight angle into the other side of the goal is a complete peach though

• Ross

May 27, 2008 at 10:32 PM

hahahaha john, that is hilarious
    “GS is like superman”

next comment

GS fan-“right im jus gonna clear up the confusion here”

• GSfan

May 27, 2008 at 10:33 PM

I have to add there are no other sources mentioning about Newcastle making a move right now in the Turkish press. Tottenham certainly hasn’t been mentioned at all anywhere else and if they’re really trying to keep their interest away from the press then, I’d say they’re doing a damn good job. There’s nothing even about Arda today, not even on the GS fansites. The latest talk seems to be about us signing Riise… sigh. I really hope we don’t get him.

And ye I’ll gladly translate whatever you like 😀

May 27, 2008 at 10:33 PM

quality reporting gs….

I really hope we sign this guy..If he’s anything like georgy hagi we would off signed a real gem…

Please god don’t let me wake up tomorrow morning , log on to bbc football and see Turan signs for spurs…I think my daughter would see my cry for the first time

• Toon1978

May 27, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Thank you GSfan how did you translate it?

May 27, 2008 at 10:36 PM

lol ross…had a chuckle myself

• Ross

May 27, 2008 at 10:36 PM

also, my thanks go to you GSfan.
    well, apparently we still havent bid. we’re still not even 100% we want him,lol.
    if it turns out there isnt actually any interest in him, then its been weeks of wonder, for absolutly nothing!

• GSfan

May 27, 2008 at 10:37 PM

@Toon1978 – Well I’m a diehard Galatasaray fan myself, so ye in other words I’m Turkish.

And I have to say it’s np at all, just glad I can help fellow fans of the team that Arda might go to in the future :p

Btw this Greek lad seems solid. Though it seems you don’t urgently need someone in his position… I have to say though he might be a bargain for 4m.

• Toon1978

May 27, 2008 at 10:37 PM

John even if he does go to Spurs we would target someone similar or better Spurs cannot bye every player there is KEEP THE FAITH.

May 27, 2008 at 10:38 PM

I think Totenham are just been mentioned just to beef up the speculation a bit…..

They beat us to 2 players now so the press are jumping all over that now…

Spuds probably dont even know who Arda Turan is

• Toon1978

May 27, 2008 at 10:39 PM

aahhh cheers..GSfan do you think we will get Arda?

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 27, 2008 at 10:40 PM

CHEERS GS FAN, DID YOU HERE ME CALL FROM MY LOFT WINDOW, AND SEE THE GS SIGN IN THE SKY, MUCH LIKE THE BATMAN ONE USED TO BE. I HOPE TO GOD THE ARDA THING IS TRUE

May 27, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Gs fan..thanks for translating…really aprreciated..

you must be a bit gutted if turan actualy leaves then?

• Danny

May 27, 2008 at 10:41 PM

I tried to translate it word for word…yes I am sad like that!

Anyway I got pretty much what GSfan has just said…Looks like we have been bugging Gala about the deal o the table, lets hope they give in soon enough eh? haha

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 27, 2008 at 10:42 PM

GS FAN, MUCH LIKE IM SUPPORTING TURKEY IN THE EURO’S, U SHOULD SUPPORT THE TOON ASWELL AS GALA, MY LITTLE TURKISH MATE DOES, HE GAVE ME HIS TURKEY SHIRT WITH EMRE ON THE BACK

• SCOTOON

May 27, 2008 at 10:42 PM

i agree wif hueva was goin bowt the offficial toon hmepage! aint been updated since Thursday? Friday? I hope we get Arda like along with Cuellar and Emana! I would also like to see Veloso Gomez and SWP arrive but they look very unlikely now! F*** Spurs they are jus nikin r players!!!!

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 27, 2008 at 10:44 PM

everyone seems in such a better mood now we have actualy heard abit of news, so gs fan, is that bit about arda from today? and also do you think he would choose us, from what you interprated from that interview?

• GSfan

May 27, 2008 at 10:45 PM

I’d say Newcastle has every chance of getting Arda. In fact it’s all up to how much the Newcastle board wants him. If Galatasaray really did put up a 16.5m euro price tag for Arda then it’s pretty clear that it’s all down to the clubs that want him. The question is, like I mentioned in some other entry before, would it be better for the Newcastle board (and any other club) to gamble 16.5m euros for a player who ‘might’ (might being the key word here) be a star in the future? That’s all down to how they scouted this lad.

As for Tottenham being interested, I’d say they might just make like they’re interested in him so their rivals would have to increase their ‘bid premium’ thus forcing Newcastle to buy at a higher price. Stuff like this happens loads in business unfortunately.

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 27, 2008 at 10:46 PM

danny- i have tried doing it word for word a few times but got v. frustrated

May 27, 2008 at 10:46 PM

I’ll second that gg7..Im a turk for the Euro’s also…
    It will be even sweeter if we sign Turan and Emre signs a new 5 year contract..I know Emre gives the odd comeo in a black and white shirt but im sure if we actualy do sign Turan Emre would off been involved at some point and for that alone he would deserve a 5 year extension 🙂

• Toon1978

May 27, 2008 at 10:49 PM

GSfan you know your stuff you must be one of the good GALATASARAY fans the rest seem nuts but thanks for your info much appreciated

• GSfan

May 27, 2008 at 10:49 PM

That bit about Arda is from today yea.

And yea I’m gutted we might lose this lad but during the season I always said to my friends “this kid’s too good for us. Foreign clubs ain’t going to let us have much fun with him in the future I’m afraid”.

I really hope you guys do get him, I’ll be supporting Newcastle in the premiership all the way then 😀 I just need to get myself used to some of the chants and get over there like I said before to see them play with my own eyes.

May 27, 2008 at 10:51 PM

scottoon that was my thinking also..There not even doing the day to day rumours on there anymore..

I have a feeling something big might be brewing, and then BANG the site is updated with a guy i don’t notice but has signed 🙂

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 27, 2008 at 10:51 PM

lol, i like emre alot, i just wish he wasnt injured constantly. i have said many of times that when he is fit, he is one of the best in his position, also, i remember in his debut, friendly, he cracked the bar with a free-kick from about 40 yards

May 27, 2008 at 10:53 PM

is he really that good then GS fan? I’ve heard hes like the great Georgi Hagi..But what you seen off him would you compare him to Hagi?

May 27, 2008 at 10:57 PM

I’m the same GG…think he is class when hes fit..I think that was against some italian Giant in some preseason game..Remeber that also..Class strike..He was brillant in the 2002 world cup when turkey came 3rd or 4th..

Shame now though..He seems to pick up injuries so easy..He always seems to grab he’s left thigh aswell no matter what the challenge was..