There is not as much news linking us with new players as we would have either hoped for, or expected today.
- We reported last night that sources in Norway claim that Newcastle are interested in Rosenborg midfielder Per Ciljan Skjelbred. Blackburn Rovers are also said to be interested. The transfer fee quoted at £6M is probably closer to £4M, although Rosenborg have denied there has been any approach yet from Newcastle.
This seems reasonable since they’re going to keep quiet until any deal is completed.
- News today that Tiago will probably be staying in Italy with Juventus.
New manager and former Chelsea manager Ranieri had been furious with the player, but now seems to have changed his position and wants Tiago to stay – what a soap opera.
Both Newcastle and Everton had been interested in a one year loan deal, but that will probably not now happen, although you never know.
- There is still lingering news linking us with Chelsea midfielder Florent Malouda, who hasn’t done particularly well at the London club, and will be available for around £12M.
Florent only moved to Chelsea last summer for £15M, from Lyon, and hasn’t settled too well, but we think the fee is a bit steep.
- The Daily Mail is reporting we are still interested in Blackburn Rovers left-back Stephen Warnock. We think that’s very likely true, and that Kevin would love to bring the former Liverpool youngster to Newcastle – we could well still pull this one off.
- There was news over the weekend that Javier Saviola would be willing to come to Newcastle, but only if Real Madrid didn’t want him. The piece was reported in the Sunday Sun but with no evidence of who he said that to, or what the context was, in which it was said.
Only a couple of says before Real Coach Bernd Schuster had reportedly had a heart-to-heart with Saviola, and the German coach allowed Javier to keep the number nine shirt as a show of faith.
We have a sneaking suspicion this deal however could be one of those resurrected and pulled off at the last minute – we’ll see – hope so.
That seems to be it, although new news linking us with another player, can break quickly in the remaining days of the transfer market.
Not much going on right now – but we have a good chance of going through in the Carling Cup tonight at Coventry City.