web analytics

Oba Martins To See Action Tomorrow But Bassong Doubtful

Chris Hughton will give Obafemi Martins his first taste of pre-season action against Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road tomorrow.

oba-martins-2312

Oba Martins – the thrill of scoring for Newcastle

The Nigerian International striker returned to full training this week, and will taste action at Leyton Orient. But star defender Sebastien Bassong still remains a doubt with a muscle injury that he has sustained in training.

Chris says that Newcastle will look at the defender again this morning but it doesn’t look like any risks will be taken with the Paris-born central defender, as he remains one of the club’s key men, and one Alan Shearer would be desperate to keep, if he ever gets the Newcastle manager job.

Chris told the Newcastle Journal today:

“We will make a decision on Sebastien today but we might just save him for another game,”

“He’s had extra time off and we don’t want to rush him back and risk aggravating an old or an existing injury. There are still a couple of pre-season games, so he has time on his side.”

“I will still make quite a few substitutions because we have a big squad and I want to give minutes to most of them if I can.”

Hughton is in another difficult position at Newcastle, through none of his own making, and at some point he will be replaced by a new manager.

But a new owner will need to be found soon, and we are finding it hard to see how that will happen this summer, unfortunately.

Chris continued:

“There is nothing to report on that at the moment. We’ll just keep plugging away,”

That’s about all anybody can do right now as the impasse at the Newcastle club approaches a staggering 9 weeks.

And we all thought we were in bad shape when we relegated almost 9 weeks ago. 🙁

• lesh

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:17 AM

SNAFU!

• belfast toon

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Snafu indeed lesh

• Toon Graeme

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Come on Oba son – get some in the net!!

How many times has that been said last season?!

• belfast toon

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Thanks chris that’s made my day

FCUK OFF ASHLEY!!!!

• WELSHMAG

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:00 AM

In my opinion Mike has made another fatal mistake – not looking after the club while it was for sale. Where has this guy come from? he’s f-ing nuts. If he had appointed a manager at the end of the season and shipped out a few players and invested in some youngsters we have a team that looked reasonably good and up for a challange, we’d have 35,000 season tickets sold all of which would make us look a much more promising investment.

Instead he’s left us to rot thinking it soon won’t be his problem well looks like we’re stuck with each other so Pull your f-ing finger out of your ar$e and do something positive which might help the club. jesus wept.

• MickMack

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Nail on the head there WELSHMAG.
    Unbelievable some of the decisons that have been made. You will get people who come on here and defend Ashley – saying he cant do anything whilst selling, as that could affect the sale, but thats bull*hit, its his or his employees decisions to do completely f*ck all. Why could they not give Shearer a rolling contract until its sorted? IF IF he fails to sell its not only us who are up sh*t creek – its him aswell.

• Big Dave

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Lads had a dream last night and the more i think about it the more it seems realistic. Big Al walks away because he is peed off waiting about, and 2 days later Ma comes out and says he has tried selling the club and cant bla bla, so he is going to stick with it. he has time to offload a few of our better players but doesnt have the time to bring in replacement, as we still have no permanent manager. but it was all a big ploy to get rid of Big Al as Ma knew he couldnt walk over him .I hope it doesnt come true but it could easily happen.

• sirjasontoon

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Mike will put us in administration I think.

• Big Dave

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:45 AM

SJT being a long serving fan of the toon you tend to become optimistic, but tbh i am now very fearfull of what could happen to us

• Toon Graeme

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:49 AM

SJT & Big Dave – its not scare mongering but its a possibility thats in my mind.

The transfer embargo really does my head in as it must mean something is going on – why would Ashley knowingly go into a season and not sell his highest paid players if he know he aint gonna sell or not anywhere near.

What a ba*tard!!!!!

• Stardust

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:55 AM

“sirjasontoon // Jul 24, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Mike will put us in administration I think.”

I think Mike Ashley will sell the club for 1billion.

Both statements are equally worthless and based on nothing whatsoever. Anyone can hissyfit or make up cheap lines.

• NUFC FAN

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:55 AM

wot ever happened to THE PROFITABLE GROUP ! they pacific-ly sed ” If there has been no reactions to our bid or other wise news towards this upcoming friday then the deal looks unlikely”

• Toon Graeme

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Is anyone planning on going to the baggies away?

I was considering it and it will be my first away match.

Anyone been there before?

• sirjasontoon

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Mike bores me.
    9 weeks since we fell from grace and we have gone backwards since then.

Mike will take the club back off the market just as the window closes and continue with Houghton or possibly JK.

I would love to know what his motives are with our club…I am bemused.

• UTD111

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Starprick…..

Isn’t it about time you explained some of your gay terms that you use on here??

“hissyfit” for example…..

Have you ever been with a woman? Was she conscious at the time?

• Stardust

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:17 AM

UTD111

Thank you for your kind post, I realise you find it impossible to consider others in your posts and have to use bad language and expletives to put your point across – I however consider younger fans will read the blog and keep my terms appropriate.

Its called having class fella – something you cant buy or gain.

• lesh

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Good morning Stardust.

Like the rest of the mere mortals who post on this site, I am so glad that you’ve had a good night’s rest, have woken in fine form, are in generous good spirits and at peace with the world!

It is so refreshing to read the musings of a contented, kindly and sage-like soul such as you.

Butr sadly, on to relatively minor matters and Big Dave’s dream (thesis) how this charade of an attempt to sell the club was all a big ploy to get rid of Big Al as Ma knew he couldnt walk over him.

BD, ,that wouldn’t surprise me one bit. As far as we mere mortals know, he did not [for Sawdust’s benefit – apparently] engage with KK during the pre- walk-out period!

Perhaps he’s the sort that can’t look someone in the eye when issuing the poisoned chalice?

I’m sure that Moodust’ll pass on the benefits of insightly wisdom

• lesh

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Stardust, having class is demostrating tolerance and respect for others’ views.

Please don’t mistake having class with being arrogant and opinionated!

• Stardust

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Morning Dog Lesh

May I start my reply with an apology, for a long time I have thought that we are diametrically opposed, we are not, in less that two days you have described me perfectly “An egocentric and A sage” I love the fact I am all wise and all knowing and know I am lol.

Onto your post above re Big Daves comments, There were only two motives for the meeting with Shearer at the end of the season, 1 was to plan his exit strategy with AS’s blessing to enable MA to state that AS had agreed to come on board if the new owners want him OR he genuinely tried to find a route forward with AS and couldnt make it happen with AS’s demands therefore he has had to fall on his sword and the cost of losing a second messiah was unbearable.

I have no opinion either way as I do not know what happened in those meetings, thereon I can not draw conclusions re motives.

• Stardust

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:28 AM

“lesh // Jul 24, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Stardust, having class is demostrating tolerance and respect for others’ views.

Please don’t mistake having class with being arrogant and opinionated!”

Ian Huntely, Ian Brady, Dennis Neilson, Hitler, all had opinions and I similarly dennounce them without a thought too.

Yours truly

Egosage.

• batty

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:30 AM

shearer said he will wait as long as it takes for the job ssn

• Johno Toon

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM

any word yet from this porfitable group yet? or do you think they will try drag it out in the media for another week?

• nufc RIP 2

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM

still not got a manager or a new owner its only getting better for you guys isnt it!lol
    weres your messiah now hey boys?
    hope you enjoy life in the lower leagues because thats were you will be for a long time if ashley dont sell up.
    why would you want shearer to manage you he has no experience of managing a team do you no how stupid that sounds! you get relegated with that manager now you want him to start the next campaign with you again. because that makes sense! typical i expect nothing less!

• Johno Toon

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM

was this recently batty?

• hitman

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:35 AM

batty shearer carnt wait for as long as it takes,the bbc have a contract on the table,and they wont wait,they will want an answer before the season starts.

• batty

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:35 AM

just ten mins a go

• UTD111

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Stardust // Jul 24, 2009 at 11:17 AM

UTD111

………..

Stardiss – Perhaps you can have another look at post 16 and tell me where the bad language and expletives are??

Oh – and you didn’t answer my questions…..

• Stardust

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM

UTD111 – your post starts off with addressing me in an expletive manner – like I said no class – you dont even realise you are doing it.

• Johno Toon

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM

that is great news! anyone see last night when ssn said celtic beat wba and newcastle to sigiing d . fox?

• UTD111

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Stardust – my post to you started with a perfectly accurate desciption of you – which many people in here will readily recognise….

Having monitored your posts here for quite a long time now – especially all last season when you were “campaigning” (your word) about what a great job Mike Ashley was doing – I don’t expect you know what class is – perhaps its best if you don’t try to preach to others….or learn about it first?

Now….are you going to answer my questions?

• Stardust

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Ah UTD111 – “Campaigning” a straight forward lie.

I simply explained rationale behind decisions no more or less – a lesson free of charge in objectivity for you – now scram little boy I have done with you.

• UTD111

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Stardust
    That must be one of the most pathetic comebacks ever witnessed on here…..probably qualifies as a “hissyfit” …..

Run away then…..if you have none of your pathetic arguments left…..

• doofa the loofa

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:31 PM

easy ladies…

• UTD111

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I asked him about easy ladies earlier – post 16…..he refuses to reply.

I’m not sure he likes the ladies at all…..if you catch my drift LOL

• lesh

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM

• batty

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM

what a surprise gerrard not guilty

• Stardust

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:09 PM

“lesh // Jul 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Oh Stardust, you feel that UTD111 addressed you in an expletive manner….. surely you’d recognise that as understandable!”

WE AGREE AT LAST! Of course it is understandable – I forgive him – I realise it was the way be was brought up and to be fair he wont know many words that arent swear words, poor him. UTD111 I forgive you.

• Rasz

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Fight night

in the red corner,Gerrard and in the,uh,yellow corner, Colocini

Your referee is Mr Joey Barton.

round 1………

• UTD111

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Another pathetic comeback!

I was about to use the phrase “I think Stardust is losing it”…..but I’m beginning to doubt if he ever had it to lose…..

Might be better if you just stay in the corner with your colouring-in book and crayons Stardust – you’ll be safer there son…..