web analytics

Martins Going to Wolfsburg

Newcastle United has accepted a bid of a reported £9M for Nigerian striker Obafemi Martins.

Obafemi Martins-It’ll be sad to see him go

Sky Sports is reporting that Martins will be Newcastle’s first transfer this offseason joining reigning Bundesliga champions Wolfsburg. Martins was a very entertaining though frustrating player at Newcastle. His larger than life personality will be missed, however.

This will signal the end of the short lived transfer embargo. Expect a flurry of players to leave as Ashley tries to bail himself out of this current financial mess.

This news and the recent reports of the Profitable Group dropping out of their bid to purchase Newcastle could signify that Mike Ashley is resigned to being the owner for the start of the season. He will be desperate to trim the wage bill before the season starts.

The first, well now second, thing he needs to do is appoint a manager quickly. Then maybe we can get in some players as we offload the high wage earners. This is already a small squad which will need reinforcements. Leave it to Ashley to begin preparations a week and a half before the season starts.

• Danish_Magpie

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Goodbye Oba. You will be missed.

• shrews mag

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:44 PM

If the embargo is over, then presumably either

1. a sale is imminent (the buyer has agreed the sale of oba)

or

2. the sale has collapsed and MA is gearing up to get a new manager and buy and sell a few players before the season starts …

… I know which I would prefer …

• Charlie Toon

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I agree Ed, I’ll miss Oba! Best player we’ve had past couple of years! 9 Mill is a good sum of money though which could buy us 3 or 4 good Championship players!

All the best Obafemi!

• Steve_48

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Can’t say I’m surprised; was more miss than hit for me. Best of luck in pastures new.

• toonoholic

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:46 PM

its on skysports. must be true.

we are screwed if ashley is the owner and no manager is appointed by this weekend .

• NorCal ToonFan

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Do you really think Ashley’s going to bring IN players? I am guessing this is the first of a few sales being done to control wages. I don’t see new players coming in. Youngsters are going to get some PT me thinks.

• toontony

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:47 PM

The first of many to go and money straight into Fat Ashes pocket, tw** been too greedy and left everything until last minute.
    Prob didnt even bother to entertain anybody unless they had full £100 mill,as reports saying other potential interested partys have had no communication from Nufc or seymour pierce.
    Hope its not same old bull had to sell players then come out with that old chestnut cant sell.
    AHLEY YOUR A JOKE

• Frank pingles come sock

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:51 PM

thays not what ssn have just said toontony, they report a sale could be imminent, with 3 potential biddders, so f off

• coxonfamily

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:51 PM

ive got to say last season martins got a lot of “stick” from fans but I’m sad to see him go, maybe with creativity from the midfield he might have been able to concentrate more or scoring goals… good luck oba, and bring on Ranger now!

• stevep

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:51 PM

yup if this is true I can see lots going out and no-one coming in

Out

Anyone we can sell

In

Anyone we can’t sell

• jonny

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:52 PM

when did they say a sale could be imminent?

• stevep

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM

god knows where goals are going to come from if we can only score a pen against leyton orient and can’t score against leeds and one against huddersfield ( i doubt any of those teams will get promoted to championship this season)

we’re fooked

• Frank pingles come sock

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM

ashley is a twerp

• Frank pingles come sock

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:55 PM

on lua lua blog

Raffo // Jul 29, 2009 at 9:25 PM

there was also talk of imminant sale with DG too. I wonder if it is with the blessing of the new guys, or whether the penny has dropped that getting high earners off the wage bill is a positive thing in terms of attracting a buyer

• stevep

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM

lets face it if we can only score one goal from open play against leyton orient, huddersfield and leeds none (of which will get promoted to championship this year) – we are up the creek big time

• Frank pingles come sock

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM

he meant d craig not dg!!

• Charlie Toon

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:00 PM

@ Stevep – 14

Have to disagree with you there. Huddersfield will win League One this year, I’m willing to put money on that!

• toonoholic

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:00 PM

there is NO SALE!!! FFS has been bullshitting us for 2 yrs and this is no different year.

no players will come in
    and we will start season with
    7 first team players leaving with wages down
    no manager (chrissy chris)
    same ol fat owner.

• NUFC HOPE

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I am going to miss obafemi. He showed his true colors at the end of the season when he tried to keep us i the premiership even with the injured groin.

OFF THE SUBJECT.

Does anyone know where i can stream championship football? I live in the states so no sky sports and all i can find are premier streams.

I will go insane not being able to see my club.

I am going to london in the spring and will be sure to make as many trips to St. James’ Park as possible.

• toonoholic

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:07 PM

nufc hope, if you come to know let me know too.
    its a shame the official club site doesnt stream matches.

• Raffo

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:08 PM

i dnt hold out any hope of an imminant sale, but hope spings

• Frank pingles come sock

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:11 PM

NUFC HOPE // Jul 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM

OFF THE SUBJECT.

I will go insane not being able to see my club.
    —————————————————»

WE MAY NOT HAVE A CLUB!!!!

• NorthernPaul

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:11 PM

If I thought the money would be reinvested in the squad I would be delighted at this news, as I think Oba is crap.

Unfortunately I believe the asset stripping fire sale has begun before we go into administration.

• Doocey

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Going to really miss this player, was my favourite player for Newcastle in the last two/three years.

Although he wasn’t consistent , he was a legend and I’ll never forget that goal against Spuds.

Good luck Oba 🙂

• TonyGreenSupreme

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Not to concerned about Oba leaving, good lad
    but ultimately failed to live up to expectations.
    1) Poor 1st touch
    2) Snatches at chances
    3) Poor positional play
    Part of the reported 9m is owed to Inter Milan, so do not expect any investment on new players.
    This transfer is difficult to gauge which direction the club is taking, IMO I think Fatty has failed to sell the club.
    Hope I am wrong…………………

• Rangerman

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:13 PM

The money we get for martins will help cover the losses we are going to make in the coming season, I’m not sure how much that will be after Oba and his agent have had their cut and we’ve paid Inter the rest of what we still owe for him.

• Tino 11

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Nufc hope – for our matches try; justin tv, ustream tv, myp2peu, adthe.net and iraq goals. There the usual footy sites but until the season starts i don’t know if they’ll have any of the games.

• pearceet

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM

he will be missed especially as we have no other decent strikers it looks like ameobi will be first choice
    *gulp*

• RyanToon

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Im watching SSN waiting for david craig to interview hughton about the gossip

• NorthernPaul

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:16 PM

pearceet // Jul 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM

I think Ameobi will be great in the Championship. And I really mean that too.

• Rangerman

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Martins fee was to be paid over the length of his contract so there’s a good chance we owe Inter £4 million still.

• bro56

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM

its got to be a good thing, at least someone is actually at St James conducting business. its certainly good news for potential buyers if players are to be sold, especially the high earners. maybe MA is aware of concerns of would-be buyers and is acting on it by reducing the costs….

• Tino 11

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Interesting line from this report, can anyone confirm?

“And when Beye departed the field in the 70th minute, it looked like the defender – who has gone public with his desire to leave St James’s Park this summer – was saying goodbye to the crowd when he left the field to be replaced by Kazenga LuaLua.”

• RyanToon

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:20 PM

ive got little hope going into the season but you never know things may change sooner rather than later 😉

• Rangerman

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Beye had a tantrum about being brought off, the bloke on the radio said they wanted to give Ryan Taylor a run out at right back in case Beye does leave.

• NUFC HOPE

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Tino 11

those are the sites i normally use but none of them seem to show newcastle games since relegation.

• NorthernPaul

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:22 PM

I’ll be gutted to see Beye go Tino 11,

He’s been our one true class player recently. Absolutely brilliant.

• Rangerman

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I think Beye has been a big baby in the way he’s acted to try and get a move from the club while not handing in a transfer request so he can screw every last penny out of us.

• Jezza

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Yes, as others have stated, this is just the start of a wholescale asset stripping policy before Ashley plunges the club into administration and nets himself, as the main creditor, a huge personal income tax rebate in the process.

I don’t think Ashley ever had any intention of selling the club. Administration was always his secret masterplan. Putting the club up for sale this summer was just a smokescreen, his excuse for:

1. Not giving Shearer the manager’s job

2. Not signing any new players

Before the transfer deadline Ashley will sell as many players as he possibly can with no new arrivals, then on 1st September you can guarantee two things will happen:

1. The club will be officially taken off the market

2. Ashley will finally appoint a new manager, not Shearer but Fat Joe Kinnear

• toontony

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:27 PM

frank pingles sock who you telling to f off, sick of people sticking up for ashley,
    I signed up for 3 years season ticket and to be put through this shit.
    so youy fffffff offffff