web analytics

Carroll Scores Winner – Newcastle in Europe

In a great finish for Newcastle, in today’s FA Cup semi-final tie,  Andy Carroll headed the winner for Liverpool after 86 minutes to put Newcastle into Europe.

Andy Carroll scores winner against Everton today

Oh yes, I almost forgot,  and Liverpool reached the FA Cup final with their 2-1 win over Everton.

And over the 90 minutes Liverpool probably deserved to win the game although their defending at times was not good.

It hadn’t looked good for Liverpool in the first half , when Jamie Carragher had given away a terrible goal after just 23 minutes, when he dithered instead of thumping the ball away, and  Jelavic hit the ball into the back of the net, and Liverpool were 1-0 down at the half.

But Liverpool were a much improved side in the second half, although Andy Carroll missed an absolute sitter from just five yards out on 47 minutes, when he somehow headed the ball wide.

He used to score those when he wore the black and white stripes of his home town club Newcastle.

But then it was former Newcastle center-back Sylvain Distin who made a terrible mistake for Everton,  and his poor pass back was jumped on by Luiz Suarez, and he had the ball in the back of the net in a jiffy.

It was anybody’s game now, but then on 86 minutes, following a corner, it was that Geordie lad Andy Carroll,  who back-headed the ball into the back of the net, to see Liverpool into their second cup final this year, and it was Andy’s second goal this week.

But much more importantly, it means that 6th place in the league will qualify for Europe, and Newcastle are currently 12 points ahead of 7th placed Everton.

While it’s still technically possible for Everton to catch Newcastle,  we will go a long way to making that almost impossible,  with a win against Stoke next Saturday.

We need just 4 more points in our last 5 games to make 100% sure, but that also assumes Everton will win every one of their remaining games.

We’re in Europe next season – believe me – and it’s unbelievable.

Now let’s see if we can make it the Champions League!

Howay The Lads!!

• dev

Apr 14, 2012 at 4:54 PM

@thump the difference is runner up in fa cup gets europa league before 6th in league but liver pool are already in cos they won the carling cup

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Apr 14, 2012 at 4:54 PM

We haven’t really dumped anyone all season – except maybe Manure at home. Could do with a 4+ clear goal win once this season

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I just don’t want this season to fizzle out. Ridiculous as it sounds, I’d be disappointed with anything below 5th now!

• Rodney Cisse

Apr 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Cant wait to buy Europa league badges for next years kit.

• ToonAndy

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Muambas died? Is this true lad ? 🙁

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Is anyone else worried that we’re 5th because we haven’t played anyone yet? 😐

• Indian Magpie

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:06 PM

i have nt heard anything

• ToonAndy

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:08 PM

This might be wrong… I heard it on
    Foreign tv at my local pub…. I hope im wrong!

• mallyonthetoon

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Tragic news from Italy where 25-year-old midfielder Piermario
    Morosini has died following a suspected heart attack on the pitch,
    football officials say. He was taken to Pescara’s Santo Spirito hospital
    by ambulance, where he died

• Spuggy

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Muamba’s fine, it’s a player in Italy’s serie B that has had a cardiac arrest and died today. Aweful.

• Crow59Cdo

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM

its not muamba its an italian player check my previous post for the name

• Spuggy

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Muamba is hopeful of resuming his playing career incredibly after being fitted with a defribulator.

• tonynufc

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM

if we got CL we would be in the 4th pot for seeds yes?. but if we finish 5, would we be a high seed for europa or low seed because of our past results and not being in europe for a while?????

• Paulo Martins

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I agree on what you said, we have to thank our players and continue supporting them until the last minute of the season

• Beattie25

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM

TDS

My sentiments exactly. I was hoping for Everton to win as this may be an excuse to take the foot of the old pedal. I don’t want the mentality of ‘oh well, a loss to Chelsea aint bad cos we’ve got Europa Leauge.’

I’m not worried about the players becoming complacent, I’m worried about the fans in the terraces.

Just because we may have cemented Europe doesn’t mean we shouldn’t treat every game as a cup final! We need to be the 12th man and push our team onto 4th.

I can guarentee spurs and Chelsea will drop points. Chelsea have got big games against local rivals and spurs are playing against those in a relegation battle! We could do this if it falls our way.

From now every game matters more than the one before and we can do well against Chelsea and Citeh. The way some talk on here it’s like it’s a forgone conclusion that we are going to ge beat in both those games! We are the same Newcastle that has given every team we have played this season with the exception of spurs and fulham away, a real go! What a load of shit it is I am reading today!

Europa leauge is more than any of us expected but less than we deserve! Let’s do this! HWTFL

• GeordieToon89

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Oh when the mags, go marching in, Oh when the mags go marching innnn, into Italy, into Russia, Into Spainnnn, Oh when the mags go marching inn! Howay the lads!!

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM

tony

You’re definitely right about the CL. I imagine we’d be a low seed in the Europa aswell, however we’d have the advantage of coming from a top league, so we wouldn’t be in the bottom pots.

• toonking

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:18 PM

well with europa league ours for sure all that is left is aim for top4 and hope chelsea don’t win cl

• StuW

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Fantastic day, capped the season off perfectly, and the fact we can still go for the CL too makes it a great few weeks.

HOWAY THE LADS!

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Beattie

Spurs have got what looks an easy run in, but I fancy them to drop points away to QPR next weekend.

We’ve got four very very tough games – and Stoke isn’t exactly a walk in the park – so everyone will have to be up for it.

But being completely realistic, there’s no reason why we can’t win the last 5 games. Not saying I expect us to, but it’s perfectly plausable.

• Beattie25

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM

And if one more person thanks Andy Carroll I’m going to snap and go back to my old ways!

That judas cnut left us for his 30 pieces of silver and disgraced the number 9 shirt, his boyhood club and the hallowed turf of st James park. Add to that he became a cheating cock end in the process by diving like a falling horse when rounded Krul.

He can take his pony tail and wife beating ways and become a hero for scoring 1 goal for the scum no 2, but never ever will I thank him for scoring for and against another team. While you lot are at it why not thank suarez and king kenny. Some of you make a mockery of this club.

The only irony is the fact that this blog swells with numbers when we are doing well. I understand the light hearted comments as I did chuckle, but those who really meant to thank big AC need to go back to supporting man ure.

2 rants in 2 days. My rehab ain’t going well.

• WWJBD

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:23 PM

People keep mentioning if Chelsea win the CL….really?

Have to add horrible news coming out of Italy RIP Piermario Morosini

• tonynufc

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:23 PM

toon down south.
    trying explain the seeds for europe to the wife. she came out with are you talking about planting seeds in a pot. side splittingly funny. she hasnt got a clue.

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Chelsea will not win the Champions League haha. Nothing to worry about there!

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM

WWJBD

Snap. On both accounts.

• Beattie25

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM

TDS

Our previous 5 games were all tough, the first 11 games if the season difficult! The hallmark of out team is defying exceptions. I don’t think we can win all 5 but I will not rule it out. Ive been shortest so much this season that I don’t know where I am anymore. But boy am I enjoying it. It doesn’t sound like it all the time but I am immensely happy and proud but we cannot see the finish line now. We’ve got to put our heads down, round that corner and run as hard as we can!

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:28 PM

tony

Hahah. Same with my girlfriend like. She just doesn’t give a crap, but I keep rambling on 😉

• Hemel Mag

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Beattie @141 Well said, I’d love it if Carrol picks up an injury now and misses the final either that or he scores an own goal to lose it for them.

• geordiejamie89

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Bad news about that player in the Italian league like.

• toonking

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:35 PM

we might have europa league but finishing 5th will still give us a bigger benifit than 6th if spurs are in the final.
    winning the fa cup will put a team in group stand right away so spurs liverpool will guarantee liverpool that so 5th will get us into playoff but 6th will mean a very early start like birmingham had

• WWJBD

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM

TDS
    Aye Chelsea havent a hope imo if Barca dont run through them Madrid or Bayern will

Anyway lads have a good un and enjoy the celebrations

• toonking

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:37 PM

mean stage not stand

• geordiejamie89

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Well I must say I felt like I had to thank Andy Caroll. He doesn’t deserve a number nine at any club, let alone Newcastle. But he’s got 35 million for the club for being a traitor, and his goal today just made sure we’re playing in Europe next season. Hopefully Liverpool will lose against the London side they play in the final, and his goal will mean nothing.

• Oleg G

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:41 PM

What happens if Chelsea don’t win CL (no way anyway), don’t go to the finals of the FA Cup, and finish in 6th?

They won’t have European football next season?

• craigTnufc

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:43 PM

It’s an ironic thankyou Beattie f off!!

• JAMSHA

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:46 PM

wow i hear CL music 🙂 jst put CL music as our entrance music in fifa 12

• toonking

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM

i got a thought which relates to how good shity have looked since the ballay has been suspended. so what i am wondering is will ballay starting give us more chance to win than if he was benched?

• ilovetoon8788

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Now where did I put my passport……….

• Oleg G

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Another thing.

If Liverpool takes the FA cup as well. Cardiff gets something for her runner up in the cup?

• toonking

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:06 PM

oleg chelsea will still get it through 6th place but it will be through carling cup unless spurs won it and we got 4th in which case the go as 5th place would.
    basically the way europa entries work is
    1. group stage via fa cup
    2. playoff which is given via 5th
    3. a qualification stage leading up to playoff for group stage which is given via carling cup