web analytics

Time To Give James Perch A New Contract At Newcastle

James Perch has already played 33 times for Newcastle this season,  and has also scored his first goal for the club, and after a very tough first year at Newcastle, James has seemed to blossom under manager Alan Pardew.

james perch p[ervhino new strip

James Perch – Perchinho – has come good at Newcastle

Last season he made 28 appearances for the side, and a large portion of those appearances were in the second half of the season, when he really started to come through with some solid performances  for the Magpies.

And this season he has continued to be a key player for the side,  and because of his versatility he has been used a lot by the manager and he’s played at full back, center-back and in defensive midfield – and he can do a solid job in all of those positions.

James reminds us a bit of Nobby Stiles in the England World Cup winning side – he’s not as good as other players technically, but his temperament, solidity and consistency adds a lot to the team.

This is what James Perch said today in an exclusive interview he gave to the Newcastle Journal:

“Things have changed a great deal for me since I’ve been here,” “I can’t really complain.” “I feel it has changed a bit for me. When I go out there now people aren’t groaning.” “I think before, if a supporter saw my name on the team-sheet they’d think ‘Oh no’.”

“They were doing that. I hope now it’s not the same reaction, or not as much anyway! I think that’s a fair reaction.” “I have to be honest with myself and say that people probably were saying that when I first came but now I hope they don’t.”

“It was what I always intended to do a year ago when I got my opportunity. There’s no better feeling than turning people’s opinions round. When I first came it was tough and the fans didn’t take to me, but that was because of  my own performances, not through any fault of theirs.”

“It’s good to go out there and enjoy it now. When you enjoy it, it’s better and you do get a sense of achievement.” “I love the city, my family is settled up here now and I’ve been here two and a half and I’ve loved it.”

“Even when things weren’t going my way and I got some stick. I absolutely loved it from the start – Newcastle is such a nice place.” “It is the friendliness of everyone that gets me. I lived in Nottingham where it is a bit rougher.”

“There’s gangs and everyone has to be a bit careful,  but there is a freedom about this place that I love. You can go anywhere and in some places it’s not like that as a footballer. “People make you feel welcome and whatever happens you’re part of it.”

Those are great words from the unassuming Perchinho – who has become something of a cult hero on Tyneside.

James signed on in the summer of 2010 on a four year contract, and that will run out in fifteen months time – and we think the 27 year-old former Nottingham Forest player has earned an extension to that contract.

We would expect James to get a new deal soon, before he starts his final year of his current contract – we think he deserves it.

And he’s not been a bad buy for around £1M either.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Shot Bru

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Perch reminds me of Darren Fletcher. Derided by fans early on but has grown in confidence and has proved himself to be a key squad member.

Plus Perchino scored at at the theatre of wet dreams!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Rainrix…You’re right, I did not include Robins criticism of other posters…silly me 🙂

• JackButler

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Interaction on here is slowly being killed off by ‘holier than thou’ attitudes and those who only look to descend everything into arguement

• Rainrix

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Ibiza… Its ok, my minds numbing rapidly just talking about the fellow. Any further and i might just go back to making pardew jokes 😮

• AndyNUFC

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Its great that Perch, Raylor and Saylor aren’t the most talented, but as British players put their bodies on the line and always give 100% great example to the kids.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM

JB…Agreed.

Rainrix…Then we best change topic quickly…has the weather improved?

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Did anyone notice it was Perch who jumped in at half -time at Wigan and stopped John Carver chinning someone?

Top player, get him signed!

As for all the critique on Pardew! There is not one person on here calling for his sacking, who is naming a Realistic replacement!

• Rainrix

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Ibiza… No its gotten worse in fact. Still not as bad as you southern daisies make it out to be. Its been worse in recent times but its still badish. Has your little island imploded under its own heathenism yet? 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM

NewExPat…I’ve seen the pictures of him holding Carver back 🙂 That is my issue with the people who want Pardew out, they don’t seem to get that it’s not that we think Pardew is excellent at his job, but he does okay and we don’t think we’ll be getting better, so why kick off? Support the manager, the team and see where it takes us. Revolving door of okay managers hasn’t and wont do anything to take us forward.

Rainrix…Sorry to hear that. You’ll be pleased to hear the white isle is still ticking along nicely 😉

• JackButler

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Love the people who sight Roberto Martínez as a replacement for Pardew, he’s such a top class manager that Wigan have been involved in a relegation fight every season but at least they play some great football FFS (for around a month of the year)

• G

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I must confess if I see Perch starting at Full Back postion, it’s squeky bum time for me! But old habbits die hard. Regardless of wether you rate him or not, it cannot be argued that he has been our most improved player this season. That in itself deserves and improved / extended contract.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM

JB… I also love answer to that point of “Well, it’s better to fight relegation with stylish football”. So what, accept a relegation battle each year but watch “some” nice football. Hmmm…

• toonincheek

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

robin has gone quiet.
    All he wants is 23 purples
    and a manager who can keep them all happy.
    That’s what we all want, isn’t it?

• G

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Is it just me, but when somebody puts ‘Wigan’ and ‘Attractive Football’ in the same sentence, it’s a bit like seeing the words ‘Port Stanley’ and ‘Heatwave’. They just don’t seem to go together to me.

• toonincheek

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

The team needs players like Perchino.
    He knows well enough that he’s not likely
    to become first choice, but he’s happy to
    work hard and fill in when required, doing
    a commendable job in various positions.
    He knows the players and how the team plays.

Just as valuable as a purple who doesn’t always
    turn it on.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM

G…No, it’s not just you.

• Troy Stavers

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM

@Jack

Totally agree. WTF is it with Martinez. He’s done sweet bit all and his predecessor Steve Bruce did better and he is shite.

• carl

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Why would anyone want to replace the current PL manager of the year. And furthermore the LMA manager of the year. To be recognised by your fellow managers is the highest accolade. Long may he reign at the toon. Onwards and upwards.

• toonincheek

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM

G –
    These things are relative.
    16° is a heatwave in Port Stanley.

• JackButler

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM

@Ibiza

Exactly mate, lets play football thats so stylish we fight to stay in the league every year

• Rainrix

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Ibiza… Damn im sure my strongly worded letter of complain would’ve worked. Time to have a look at the nuclear bomb option again 😉

• G

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM

True toonincheek, but you don’t often see photo’s of the islanders lying on the beaches do you?

• carl

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Martinez appeals to the formation nerds. More style than substance.
    Thoroughly nice guy but lacking in ambition. In my opinion.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM

JB…I should say that I quite like Martinez or at least have some respect. He doesn’t get a great deal of financial backing and does fairly well with what he has…however people stating he would do better than Pardew are simply guessing. If we’re not going to upgrade manager then why bother?

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

• estechco

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Troy @ 13 – 1st April 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Rainrix…Did you translate the letter? Do let me know if you want me to put up some flyers for you. Be a good excuse to get the shorts on and work on my tan 😉

Carl…Why do you think he’s lacking ambition, because he hasn’t left Wigan yet? I don’t so much have a problem with that, it could be he’s just biding his time for now. People just frustrate me with this foresight that he will be brilliant. What is that based on?

• Rainrix

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Ibiza… Sure i’ll just sit here and passively agressively hope you get sunburn 🙂

• JackButler

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM

@Ibiza

Pardew isn’t someone who exactly has the pleasure of throwing money around in the transfer market either (the last window being an exception). And under Martinez his side can look good going forward but concede for fun all year round.
    If people call for someone like David Moyes then I can understand as he’s done an amazing job at Everton with very limited funds, but the simple, honest fact is that we will not get the likes of Moyes here.

The days of throwing money around and only looking for the ‘Big’ name managers like we did under Sheppard are long gone, but it seems that some people can’t accept the truth of where we are now under Ashley.

• ichrisho

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Was ROBIN a Mackem?

• DokToon

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM

the grass is greener on the other side.. when the neighbor is spray painting his lawn ibiza…

hope everyone, with the exception of robin the mackem, had a great weekend…

• DokToon

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM

lmfao, great minds ich, great minds!!

• Troy Stavers

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I never saw stylish football against us last away game. Two poor footballing sides IMO.

But I don’t think there are any good footballing sides outside the usual top 5 sides.

If someone mentions Swansea then they are no better than mid table crap who play the odd bit of keep football but on the whole average.

Anyway, off to check out my bucket seat which I’m getting installed today on the 7th tier.

• Tsunki

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I have my benfica home tickets ha ha not many left in the bar areas lads get yer trainers on! 🙂

• jayphoto

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Arguabley should be in the starting 11 in the heart of midfield! On performances hes been miles better than tiote and anita! ( i knw hes still adapting) thing with perch is he offers less going forward, i think against the bigger teams he is very important, a good player to bring on when preserving a lead!

• Big Pappa Cissé

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM

If we don’t give Perchino a new contract I will be madder than a midget with a Yo-Yo 🙂

• Troy Stavers

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Tsunki

Got mine and my son’s for the Platinum club. Cheap as chips. If you are there I will be wearing my usual. Cape, wrestling trunks and wrestling boots. The youngun gans mad but I’ve done it for years now! Bloody freezing in the winter! My nipples are like HGV wheel nuts!!! 😉

• jayphoto

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Also, perch is possibly the hardest fair tackling player of seen! Goes in 100% but his timing is impeccible! After tiotes showing in previous vs the mackems id love to see perch vs cattermole in the derby

• carl

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Ibizatoon
    He’s had offers and is too easily persuaded to stay. You might argue he’s building but that’s highly questionable from constant relegation battles. He’s footballs answer to Terry Wogan. The females choice
    they just love him in Wigan. He is not very good at adjusting when things don’t go to plan. Nice guy though compared to Pardew who’s
    a bit of a poser.

• beefman13

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM

James Perch has a good chance of a new contract, I have on quite a few occasions had a pop at the lad during this season, but in his last three appearences for the toon I have been quite impressed with the lad, and have to say that the tide has turned regarding him.

Utility players like him are of course needed in any club, a top professional by all accounts as well.

My mind will remain open regarding any player or manager who may improve or visa/versa.

The manager has taken quite a bit of flack of me this season, he has been stagnant in his approach even considering the horrendous injuries we have had, I have not enjoyed his brand of football this season, I still say even though we are not out of the woods we would have been for sure back in the championship but for the new signings in January, he has made a lot of noises regarding us shooting up the table over the last couple of months, and we have moved but its a tough league and its one game at a time.

A real hard game on Saturday v man city and we arnt expected to get owt? who knows? if teams win below us then the pressure is certainly really on.

On the shola contract issue, I would not be surprised if he gets another contract as they love him at the toon, but it would only be a rolling contract from me, a year at a time, we do have to move on from wor shola at sometime surely, we need to get Campbell involved more and shola seems to be the block, were that is concerned at the moment.

• ichrisho

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:19 PM

How long do we think Bigi will take to be 1st team player… I like him… he has something…