web analytics

Time To Give James Perch A New Contract At Newcastle

James Perch has already played 33 times for Newcastle this season,  and has also scored his first goal for the club, and after a very tough first year at Newcastle, James has seemed to blossom under manager Alan Pardew.

james perch p[ervhino new strip

James Perch – Perchinho – has come good at Newcastle

Last season he made 28 appearances for the side, and a large portion of those appearances were in the second half of the season, when he really started to come through with some solid performances  for the Magpies.

And this season he has continued to be a key player for the side,  and because of his versatility he has been used a lot by the manager and he’s played at full back, center-back and in defensive midfield – and he can do a solid job in all of those positions.

James reminds us a bit of Nobby Stiles in the England World Cup winning side – he’s not as good as other players technically, but his temperament, solidity and consistency adds a lot to the team.

This is what James Perch said today in an exclusive interview he gave to the Newcastle Journal:

“Things have changed a great deal for me since I’ve been here,” “I can’t really complain.” “I feel it has changed a bit for me. When I go out there now people aren’t groaning.” “I think before, if a supporter saw my name on the team-sheet they’d think ‘Oh no’.”

“They were doing that. I hope now it’s not the same reaction, or not as much anyway! I think that’s a fair reaction.” “I have to be honest with myself and say that people probably were saying that when I first came but now I hope they don’t.”

“It was what I always intended to do a year ago when I got my opportunity. There’s no better feeling than turning people’s opinions round. When I first came it was tough and the fans didn’t take to me, but that was because of  my own performances, not through any fault of theirs.”

“It’s good to go out there and enjoy it now. When you enjoy it, it’s better and you do get a sense of achievement.” “I love the city, my family is settled up here now and I’ve been here two and a half and I’ve loved it.”

“Even when things weren’t going my way and I got some stick. I absolutely loved it from the start – Newcastle is such a nice place.” “It is the friendliness of everyone that gets me. I lived in Nottingham where it is a bit rougher.”

“There’s gangs and everyone has to be a bit careful,  but there is a freedom about this place that I love. You can go anywhere and in some places it’s not like that as a footballer. “People make you feel welcome and whatever happens you’re part of it.”

Those are great words from the unassuming Perchinho – who has become something of a cult hero on Tyneside.

James signed on in the summer of 2010 on a four year contract, and that will run out in fifteen months time – and we think the 27 year-old former Nottingham Forest player has earned an extension to that contract.

We would expect James to get a new deal soon, before he starts his final year of his current contract – we think he deserves it.

And he’s not been a bad buy for around £1M either.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• ichrisho

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Cant find any tickets for 2 for the match vs benfica…. arse…

• Big Pappa Cissé

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM

@ Jay

He sure is. I remember a cruncher he put in on that little rat Suarez when we beat Liverpool 3-1 at home last year 🙂 . Made the day even better than it already was

• jayphoto

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Think bigi needs a year at a top championship league team that will play him each game! Would like to see him, sammy and campbell at boro next year, think they are a good club to send our young players too as mowbray plays attacking football on the floor and gives youth a chance! Plus its close enough to keep an eye on them!

• Transfer Sage

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM

On perch

He is a solid squad player. For me he is the type you want to hold onto, man utd are masters of having average players playing above themselves when around good players, lads who don’t shy away when needed. They had o’shea and brown for years, never amazon but when needed could cover w few positions and do it well enough. You can’t have a team of 23 world class players no matter who you are…you need a few youngsters or players happy to be squad players.

On pardew

Is he a good manager? Not sure, seems sold enough and does a decent job but never will have us in the top 6/7 consistently with such defensive football. Sitting on 1-0 leads means there will inevitably times you concede and drop points, more often than if you keep attacking in my opinion.

Do I want him sacked? No, let him see if he can develop and improve his style. Then if in a couple of years he hasn’t then look to replace him. Now is the first time he has had a very good squad of players but its still lacking to be genuine top 4 challengers.

Give him time….what’s another couple years without a trophy anyway.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Big pappa

That tackle on Suarez was what finally convinced me on perch

• ichrisho

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Bony going this week to PREM prob West Ham or Everton…. and RVW already coming to Norwich… where is our new striker option coming from?

• Transfer Sage

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Ichriso

Well Ashley was in the crowd watching PEA play so may well be him. Some talks must have started for him to travel. Either that or he wants to see what the fuss is all about with him if Carr and pardew are asking him to dig deep.

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Hahahaha, I remember being one of those people that used to moan when he came on, now I chant loudest I possibly can ‘we’ve got perchinio’.
    The lad has changed people’s opinion with his own performances and deserves a contract extension, it’s well earned. 🙂

• ichrisho

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Sage – How much do you reckon we would need to pay – I’d say seeing as they turned down what we offered a while back – 12m…

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM

JB…Agreed.

Dok…Ah yes, of course.

• ichrishaldo

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Change in name inspired by the almost-brazilian Mr James Perch…

• ichrisho

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM

If we could PEA and Cisse with Sissoko sitting just behind and Cabaye playing the ball about – we have the makings of top6 team easy…

• toonLYF

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM

give him a 2-3 year deal, he’s earned it as much as the likes of Cabaye and Krul.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Deffo
    Give him a new contract
    Reason- he can fill a number of positions on the field in defence and midfield and does the job in hand well

• toonLYF

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM

…and to add to Charlie in the Gallowgate’s comment

…he does so with a smile on his face and with passion in his heart. He’s the most valuable type of football player you can get. Give me Perch over Tiote, any day!

• ichrisho

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM

LYF – Bravo… Tiote would be doing well to see how Perchino attempts his tackling…

• MacToon

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

toonLYF
    could not of put it better

• Spoof

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Why are so many having a go at Tiote, he has been a great player for us but this season just like, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Cisse, Colo and Gutierrez he has failed to match his performances of previous years, good players do not become bad overnight, and even now, although not at his best we are still a better side with him in it than what we are without him in it

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM

@85:

That,s a sweeping statement about Boney ?

Reported in the Dutch Press this morning that no offers have been made for Boney since the January Window! Most of the Vitesse support are resigned to the fact he will leave, but the bets at Vitesse are that he will be going to a German club.
    Big page spread about it in The Gelderlander this morning!

• Troy Stavers

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM

@Spoof

I think its a great idea for the finalists of the Europa league qualify for CL the following season. It would give the competition much more credibility however harder to win!

• Spoof

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I agree Troy, it certainly would, however, on the other hand it means that next season we could be playing Champions league football whilst in the Championship, to me that just doesn’t seem right, I don’t for a minute think we will go down, but theoretically it could happen

• toonLYF

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM

spoof…

i wasn’t having a go at Tiote at all, i was comparing him to Perch, as he does play in the same position afterall. I just think Tiote could learn alot from him regarding how to operate in a professional manner whilst maintaining the raw passion. I like Cheick, but the man is a liability and that’s a straight up fact.

• beddersmag

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Robin

Think you are showing how little you know about football. Perch us exactly the type of player who is appreciated by those who have played competitive football. While the newbies and those who cant play football prize the tricks and silky stuff, those who understand half of football is defending will admire what he does. Simple, effective, ball retention, commited tackling, great attitude, play anywhere. Whats not to like?

• Spoof

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM

LYF, I was speaking generally, and many are having a go at Tiote, players in his position always have disciplinary problems whether its Tiote, Cattermole, Batty or Keane, it goes with the type of job they have to do, yes at times I also feel that he does make unnessesary challenges but generally he is superb at his job, Pardew taught Ben Afra how to work hard, if he can get to grips with Tiote’s over exuberance then I doubt there would be a better player than he in his position, certainly we could not afford to buy anyone better, so lets make the most of what we have got, and back him rather than knock him

• Transfer Sage

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Ichrisho

No idea on the price. Varies massively on form, interest from others, willingness to stay, his relationship to the club etc etc.

A lot can change in a few months but I’d imagine you not get him any lower than say 8mil.

• toonLYF

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM

…sorry, it was just directly after my post, so assumed it was aimed at me. I assumed wrong.

…but i disagree with what you have said, if Tiote was going to learn, he would’ve done so by now. He cost us a derby victory this season, and surely Pardew would’ve bollocked him for that, yet nothing has changed.

It’s not a case of not backing him; of course i back him, i pay over £500 a year to do exactly that from the stands, i back every player wearing our colours, no matter what. I’m not by any means saying i want rid of him, as he is very valuable in alot of games, usually the ones against the big teams; but i don’t see him as one of the first names on the team sheet for us, as he is very irrational, and once things don’t go his way on the pitch, the mood swings come out, and he puts the whole team’s hardwork at risk. Particularly in feisty games, he gets carried away, and seemingly cannot help it.

Also, i don’t think it’s true about players in his position always having poor disciplinary records. I was going to come up with a few different examples…but you need not look no further the man this article is based on. The 4 you named are reckless players, and would be no matter where they were playing.

In my opinion, anyway.

• toonLYF

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM

no doubt about it though, that there’s a quality player in Tiote, sadly it is hidden behind his aggression, too often for my likings.

• Marty-Toon

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Top professional this guy
    Obertan and Willo n the likes could learn loads off him.
    Keep it simple and do your job right.
    A good steady player

• toonLYF

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Lads and Ladies, am I the only person who thinks Cabaye has been better in the games hes played this season than he was last?

• Mister Tuff

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM

spoof @90 -checked out your suggested post. I had no idea that EUFA were considering allowing the finalists of the Europa League to compete in the Champions League Group stages. Makes sense when you consider the reverse is allowing the “lesser” CL teams
    to enter the EL.
    Whilst most fans will probably write off this season (apart from progressing further in the EL or winning it and PL safety) there is a potential that we could be in the Champions League next season, if we get to the final of the EL. This would clearly be a godsend -giving our present players something to achieve and acting as an attractor to potential new signings who want to play at the highest level.
    So with the obvious signs at the Toon that progress/improvement is now under way – viz all the January signings and the further anticipated influx in the summer (and the clear out) -things are certainly looking up -despite it being
    a season we all could probably forget. Clearly NUFC have learnt lessons which will not be repeated.
    So I am looking forward to next season.

• Spoof

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Your never to old to learn, Ben Arfa did in his mid twenties so why can’t Tiote, to put things into perspective, Tiote gets slaughtered off some fans for a lack of discipline and Perch gets praised for being disciplined and many wish Tiote could be more like Perch.
    James Perch has received 9 yellow cards in 23 prem games, six of those 23 are when he came on as a sub, a total of 1602 minutes played {1 card every 178 minutes]
    Tiote has received 6 yellow cards in 19 games, 2 of those coming on as a sub, a total of 1366 minuetes played. [1 card every 228 minuetes]
    So why do so many use Perch as such a good example, as I said, it goes with the role, but comparing the facts between Perch and Tiote, only proves to me that there is an unjustified witch hunt for Tiote

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Spoof….Interesting stats.

I think a lot of it comes as Tiote is seen as a better player or perhaps the potential to be better would be a better way to word it, so it leaves fans frustrated. Not many people expected much from Perch so he constantly exceeds expectations, hence the better reputation.

Back on to the stats, I wonder how many of those yellow cards were completely unnecessary? It seems Tiote does pick them up at times where a challenge was not needed or at least not to the extent that he throws himself in, but that may just be a wrong assumption.

I do agree that we should keep Tiote though. People saying Tiote should have learned by now, well he is a year younger than Perch, so no reason to think he can’t adapt his game…question is, does he still bring enough to the table if he looses his aggression? I’m not so sure.

• Spoof

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Mister Tuff, most would class this season as 1 to forget, yet we still have a chance of winning a Trophy for the first time since 1969 and we could even end up qualifying for the Champions league, if both or even one of those do happen, it will end up being a season to remember rather than one to forget, what a strange sport this is, its why we all love it though, isn’t it

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Also interesting news about the EL winners possible qualifying for the CL. Obviously a few things to work out but in principle it’s a great idea. We already have teams that fail in the CL group stages dropping to the EL, so why shouldn’t a team that wins the EL be promoted up, it makes complete sense..well to me at least.

• Rainrix

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Spoof… Its not just disciplinary records, its his general play that makes him a liability at times. Holding onto the ball for too long in compromising positions dangerous back passes plus his occasionally reckless fouls.

Dont get me wrong i think tiote is a better player than perch on his day. Its just he really hasn’t played well this season and has been a liability at times. i dont agree with the fact he’s become the new scapegoat for some people as he has improved recently but a lot of the criticism levelled at him are justifiable

• toonLYF

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM

i echo the words of Rainrix @ 115

• JackButler

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM

If the Europa League winner’s get a place in the Champions league it will be the first sign that Platini does actually have a modicum of common sense. Now if he would just stop failed champions league side from dropping into the competition most people would be happy with UEFA

• Spoof

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Ibiza, it would be interesting to see how many could have been avoided as you say, from both players, and even though Perch has recieved more I would not be suprised if Tiote could have avoided more than Perch, if thats the case then all that proves is that Tiote can read the game better and put himself into better positions, so he can break opponents down without getting booked, so who is the better player, its got to be Tiote, don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking Perch, and I would give him a new contract, for me he is good backup to Tiote, but he is not as good as Tiote, in fairness to Tiote 6 in 19 is a marked improvement on previous seasons, lets give the lad some credit, we forgave Alan Shearer for missing a penalty against Sunderland, its about time we forgave Tiote for getting sent off against Sunderland, as stupid as his challenge was