web analytics

Newcastle Defender Staying Put – Gosling Deal Held Up

There was a report in the Daily Mirror over a week ago that Newcastle were willing to give Steven Taylor and £6M to get QPR’s Loic Remy.

steven taylor anzhi

Steven Taylor – going nowhere this summer

Now we wouldn’t put it past Harry Redknapp to ask for that deal, but there’s just no way Newcastle would let one of their two starting center-backs leave Newcastle so we get Remy into the club.

And there is news today in the local papers that Alan Pardew has no intention of letting Steven Taylor leave the club, and remember that late last season Alan was pushing for Taylor to be included ion the England squad.

And Steven made the squad but didn’t pick up his first full cap for England in the March World Cup qualifying games for Group H at San Marino (won 8-0) and Montenegro (drew 1-1).

And Newcastle need to keep some local home-grown players at the club, and that’s especially true since we seem to be losing a number of our English players this summer.

Danny Simpson has left for QPR, James Perch has signed on at Wigan and Steve Harper is having a medical at Hull City today,

dan gosling atromitos

Dan Gosling – Newcastle holding out for bigger fee

And it looks likely that 23 year-old Dan Gosling will sign on at Crystal Palace, but Newcastle are said to be holding out for a bigger fee from the newly promoted London club.

Newcastle agreed a £8M fee for Remy in January, so we’re not sure why there’s a delay in putting in a bid for the French International striker, since Alan Pardew has told the world that we are after both Remy and Aston Villa striker Darren Bent.

The saga to bring in a new striker this summer could continue for a while yet, but there’s no way we are going to lose one of our best defenders this summer.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• SecretSausage

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Last night I had the pleasure of once again speaking to someone that really is ITK and what he told me was very interesting.

He said that things were moving along very nicely and just as they expected. They had a Summer plan that is well mapped out and by the time the season starts it will be just as they aniticipated. There will be some good players coming in and there will be a few more outgoings.

Take that as you want. I couldn’t get any names out of him but I tend not to ask many questions as I want our chats to continue.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Anybody who has read the blog over the last year will know my views on that the biggest factor in our demise last year was the decision not to strengthen and the negative impact it had on the squad, if we fail to do so again exactly the same will happen except this time Pardew will be fired and Media Joe will be brought in to replace him.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:04 PM

TDS
    Yup defo the quality! Our bench last season was absolutely shocking, when the game wasn’t going to plan (most weeks 🙂 ) you looked at the bench and just thought who the hell can we bring on to change the game apart from Marv!

• Sazzer

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:05 PM

We have made bid for player with the nickname the Terrorist.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Ruddy

The fans of both Man Utd and Arsenal are crying out for new signings. Man Utd’s midfield is looking poor for the champions, with Nani off-form, Scholes retired etc. And they have injury problems at the back too with Evra, Vidic and Ferdinand all having problems last season. Arsenal fans are desperate to sign players to break an 8 year run without a trophy.

I’m just wondering if they are panicking in the same way as the Newcastle fans…

I’ll guess that they’re not, because there’s plenty of time to go and they will be making some signings.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Sausage…that was like reading ones horoscope!

…could apply to everyone and everything!

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:08 PM

JfA

I’m 100% with your post 401, except…I really don’t think that JFK can be brought back to manage the team. I’ll be shocked if that happens again. I simply can’t believe that top players will respect a manager who has achieved so little. It’s one thing him negotiating to bring a player to the club because he claims to be good at spotting a decent player, another thing to call tactics in the modern game.

I’ll absolutely draw the line right there.

• the truth will out

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:08 PM

@386 Well there you go you are no better than he is i think there are a few on the blog who know him and know him to be outspoken but with valid conjectures. If I myself were to have a disagreement with him i would try to point out his shortcomings not try to align my legions against him or call him like you just have.

• croftus5678

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:09 PM

@397 tds

oh yes i completely agree with that buddy with no pressure and half a season under there belt i too believe they will be a lot better this season !

my concern is cisse and his goals (and goals from elsewhere if i’m honest) i really dont believe cisse will play the whole season again as imo we was very very lucky for him not to be injured last year.

we depend far too much on him and we really should not need to in a prem side as we should have other players getting goals also.

• SecretSausage

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM

jesper,
    You are right. I nearly didn’t bother posting it.
    But what was interesting was his enthusiasm for the situation. It was as if they had mapped something out and it is running very smoothly and is going to work.
    I asked about PEA and he said he couldn’t say much about it but that what I’d read was probably true but that it wouldn’t affect any plans as it was expected.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM

TADS

If you think of our bench now though, it’s not bad. We’ve got 17 players that I’m convinced Pardew wants to keep, plus a list of 9 fringe players and at least 2 very good U21 players (Haidara and Bigi). When our bench has a goalie plus 6 players of the level of Tav, Fergie or Sammy, I definitely worry…

That’s why I really want us to sign another top striker and another exciting winger/attacking midfielder.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM

TDsarf,
    Why do you always take it to the extremes, we’re not asking to sign a load of players just the three or four we all know we need and on the flip side of where to target why should a team that finished fifth target top ten when a 12 to 15 M investment would have at least given us hope of finishing in a Euro spot, and please don’t mention Leeds or Portsmouth because around that amount wasvspent in January andas far as I know we didn’t get docked ten points for spending it.

• BandB

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Jail,

As you might recall, I was a worried as you last summer that hubris was at work within the inner rectum (sorry..I meant sanctum)
    They admitted later they’d under-cooked the summer, and tried to put it right in January. What they must not now be allowed to do in a month is claim they did THIS summer’s business early, and I will dance on the first apologist who offers this as an excuse. They can’t have it both ways. We still need players.

• croftus5678

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM

in fairness to manu/arsenal (even though i hate manu)
    there fans know they can offer 80mil for a player and 150k pw on wages and that they have stability in the top 6 so they wont have too much problems getting layers in last minute ! arsenal not a bigger fee or wages but still have top6 and europe ect.

we kinda have…*sigh*

• toonicle

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Benzia would be a great signing, and at 3M it’s within our penny pinching price range!

1 9 10 11