web analytics

The Manager Tore Into Us – There Were Some Harsh Words Said

Mike Williamson is a good lad, and he’s been under-estimated as a player by most fans in his time at Newcastle, since he joined us for £1M from Portsmouth just over four years ago – and Mike is also down to earth and tells things as they are.

Mike Williamson heading ball

Mike Williamson – no excuses

And that’s exactly what the 6’4″ defender has done today, as he has been interviewed, and he says there are just no excuses for the display on Wednesday night when we were ripped apart 4-0 by Tottenham and there seemed no fight or spirit in the side at all – and that’s never good.

This is what big Mike said:

“We’ve let the manager down, we’ve let the club down, we’ve let the fans down and we’ve let ourselves down,”

“Sometimes, the fans can be a little bit unfair but you can’t say that over the past few games. They are justified. We completely understand their anger and upset. Believe me, the players in there are feeling exactly the same.

“Every now and again when it is necessary, the manager tears into us and there needed to be some harsh words said because he felt it wasn’t good enough from the players out there on the pitch.”

“It might have come across to the fans that there was no heart and that’s a disappointing thing but what we have had at this club in years gone by, is a reaction and so when things like this do happen, the lads pull together.”

“We have players missing. A lot of quality missing. But the fact is that we need the fight, the spirit and the quality.”  “For the next week and a half, we’re going to have to work on that and make sure that we do get a good reaction from this difficult period because the lads really are hurting.”

“We have let the manager down. We have let the fans down and we have let ourselves down so it is all about getting back to the basics now.”

It would have been interesting to hear what Alan Pardew said in the dressing room, but some of our better players like Moussa Sissoko, Tim Krul, Papiss Cisse, Ben Arfa and others have all under-performed in the last month or so.

And it doesn’t give us a good feeling about our strength in depth either – because when the big players like Colo, Tiote and Remy are missing we are simply not the same side – and that’s got to be worrying.

But the only thing Alan Pardew and the players have to do is to get back on track – get back to basics – and fans need to see a fully committed performance from all Newcastle players against Aston Villa a week on Sunday.

That’s simply the minimum requirement.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• SuperShearer

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Thought this was interesting and very relevant to us. Juande Ramos criticises Tottenham; “Man City sign Jesus Navas, Alvaro Negredo. They don’t look at the age of the player, they look at the performances. Spurs look at the age, thinking of a future sale. What are you chasing? Titles or economic success?”

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Clinath,
    Yeah, anyone who says ‘believe me’, ‘trust me’ and ‘honestly’ too often to is rarely believable!

Pardew does it with far too much regularity. I guess that is why some people think he is speaking on behalf of Pards here.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:26 AM

super

I think each club has to play to their strength, know their limits.

spurs do buy young but have also brought in players like van der vaart, adebeyor, lloris who are already at the top of their game to improve the side.

I don’t mind buying young, talented players but you need to make sure that there is also experience in the squad as well, even if that’s the odd loan signing of a 30 year old or maybe getting soembody in who’s 30 on a 2/3 year contract, keep them on a year at a time as long as they still have something to offer. I don’t mean spend huge money on an old player, but maybe a free or a couple mil.

• SuperShearer

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:30 AM

TS, couldn’t agree more mate. Just think it’s interesting that Ramos thinks that about Spurs when it’s endlessly more true of say us and Arsenal. There seems to be a lot of hate for AP on here at the moment and while I’m not his biggest fan I think a lot of the animosity towards him is unfair considering the parameters he’s having to work under at the club. Can you imagine Mourhino, Wenger, Moyes etc having their best players sold from under them on a regular basis? How would they react? (I’m not saying AP is as good as them but merely making the point that they wouldn’t stay silent while AP does – but maybe that’s the problem).

• clinath@ed

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:31 AM

“To tell you the truth” Lil, I have ALWAYS thought that!!!

• Transfer Sage

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:34 AM

super

I think Pardew is complicit in this mess, he is reportedly the lowest paid manager in the league and considering those who get relegated often walk into others jobs surely he could speak his mind more as if sacked he’d easily get another job….with his good reputation in the media for his managing and what he has done here he has leverage, holds all the cards really.

At least people would judge him on what he does then, not on being a patsy for Ashley.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Super

And to be fair arsenal have consistently sold their best players for the past 6/7 years, not won a trophy in that time but still always done reasonably well…and until this year not bought a single big money player.

Mourinho wouldn’t stand for it though, he always moves to one of the richest teams around, never to a team which hasn’t got the finance to compete on all fronts.

• clinath@ed

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:38 AM

TS….just about to type something similar. You worded it better than I could of.
    His standing would have increased, if he had just walked, or as you say, manipulated a dismissal.

• toonarmydownsouth

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Good words from Willo
    Absolutely have to see a reaction vs Villa

• SuperShearer

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:50 AM

@ TS I think we may underestimate how much AP loves his job here. He’s said as much recently and this is undoubtedly this biggest club he’s ever managed and likely ever will. I’m not saying he’s perfect and if you offered me a genuinely good manager to replace him I’d bite your hand off, I just think he gets so pretty hostile reaction on here much of which is unjustified. That’s just me opinion though, at times I too want to scream bloody murder at what I see the team doing that he’s no doubt instigated. But you are right, he has become something of a media darling for the way he handles the madness that is NUFC.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:55 AM

clinath

Exactly….I don’t think he should walk away, why should he as the problem is above him. He should come out with a statement which implies “back me or sack me”. He would either get more money, be sacked and get another job (probably on higher pay) or at worse be stuck in the same situation.

I don’t think that he is good enough for us though and seems quite happy to have an excuse for why the season always seems to unravel.

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:00 AM

My iron is broken, it doesn’t heat it up, but I’ll continue to use it anyway.

The stability theory, with Alan Pardew.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Willo
    my player of the season
    reasons – 4th choice centre half came in Everton game and never looked back
    and had to play with a succession of central pairings with Colo, Mbiwa and Taylor
    and covers the full backs when they go on walk-about

• Transfer Sage

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:04 AM

laurent

That explains why you look such a scruffy bugger 😉

• Transfer Sage

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:07 AM

charlie

I’d definitely have him as mine as well, the bloke was dropped last year (and rightly so), but has since worked hard on his ball control/passing out from the back, has cut out most of the errors he was making and just looks a lot better.

• stan anderson

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Any offers to buy the club yet.
    Is Pardew still here.
    Oh Well.

• dantoon85

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Willo and mbiwa are the best pairing at the back as when they have been together we have rarely conceded and always looked tidy and sharp at the back. The mixture of pace an height is the perfect combo for me

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:12 AM

I’m bright and breezey like Spring meadows, Transfer.

My fridge is broken, but I’ll continue to use it because it stores food.

The stability theory, with Alan Pardew.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:20 AM

dantoon85
    I agree like to see them at the back for the rest of the season so they can grow a understanding
    main reason colo and taylor must likel;y will be away in close season

• Transfer Sage

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:26 AM

dantoon

yeh they are the most successful pairing so give them a run, taylor is way to error prone and colo doesn’t really want to be here and is riddled with injuries.

• dantoon85

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Taylor is just fat and lazy now and I think colos head is elsewhere

• dantoon85

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Debuchy —- willo —- mbiwa —- dummett

Back line against villa drop santon he’s gone off the boil dummett is young and will want it more

• toonarmydownsouth

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:37 AM

• Phil K

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Pardew is FAR more of a problem than the players