web analytics

We Have Fallen Short As A Team And As Players

Newcastle are in decline this season, and in decline quickly since Boxing Day,  when we hammered Stoke City at St. James’ Park, after we were 1-0 down just before the break, but the referee sent two players off in three minutes and kindly awarded us a penalty, which we missed, but we still went on to thrash those nine men 5-1 in the second half.

Fabricio Coloccini +XAiDgHivPe-m

Captain Fab Coloccini –  must lead the turnaround

But since that game we have won only one game of the last nine, and failed to score in seven of those games – and we could be the worst side in the Premier League over the last few weeks – as far as our form goes – which has been terrible, and last night it was pathetic, and we were hammered 4-0 at home by Spurs.

Our Argentine center-back and captain Fabricio Coloccini has been badly missed at times like these, and he is recovering from a knee injury that has kept him out of the side since he freely walked off in the second half with a knee injury during the West Brom game, and that was shortly after Mathieu Debuchy had been sent off.

This is what captain Coloccini has told the Evening Chronicle today:

“We set ourselves standards as a team and as individual players, but we fell well short of that in the biggest game of the season,” “Everyone at the club was very disappointed in what happened.”

“We followed it by travelling to Chelsea and although our performance was much better, we suffered another 3-0 defeat. Not winning games recently has been tough for everyone.”

“But it is important to remember we are ninth in the division and have had some really good results this season.”

When you lose six of eight league games, fans don’t think of where we are – in 9th position – in the league – but rather where we could be if we had say won say six of those games.

Indeed if we had picked up 18 points from those last eight league games we’d be in 3rd place in the league, one point above Manchester City – so we were really well placed before the decline set in when we lost 1-0 at home to Arsenal in the final game of last year.

With determination, perseverance, guts and some fighting spirit thrown in – Newcastle players and manager Alan Pardew can quickly turn this thing around.

Our next game is against Aston Villa at home a week on Sunday – and we should have Coloccini, Remy and Tiote all back in the starting line-up – and it will be the strongest side we can field, with all players hopefully available.

Time to see how many men we have at Newcastle these days, who can stand up and be counted, in this great time of need at the Tyneside club.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• BandB

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:14 PM

G2,

Respect for the shout out for The Riff Song. A first for the blog, I’m certain.
    I remember that song being sung into a rather manly shaving mirror on a Sunday night at home a long time ago.
    Go. Before you’ve bitten the sword.

• GeordieTwo

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Well, I suppose Lilongwe mate @75. But it’s setting a bad precedent man! What’s next? Cuddling together while watching Housewives of Beverly Hills? Harrumph.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:15 PM

lilongwe

Bridget Jones is an absolute classic….certainly more entertaining than a game at st james’ these days

• JackButler

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Markaccus @73

agree mate, the sad thing is we do have a good squad but we are rotten to the core in terms of how we are run and managed.

We are the architects of our own demise

• GeordieTwo

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Well, thanks then BandB mate @80 (I think). Still, for la Revolucion to succeed there is work to be done. And miles to walk before I rest. Beautiful.

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:19 PM

BandB

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I cancelled my season ticket direct debit. I’m saving for a deposit for a mortgage and regularly check my credit rating on exeperia. The season ticket doesn’t show up on there as it’s not “credit” in the way council tax isn’t credit.

There is nothing the club can do if you dont pay your season ticket other than stopping your card for working as you swipe it to open the turnstile.

People need to wise up and if they dont agree with the way the club is heading, cancel the direct debit

• welshgeordie9

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Stand up if you love pardew
    Stand up if you love pardew
    Stand up if you love pardew
    Stand up if you love pardew

Pardew for England
    Pardew for England
    Pardew for England
    Pardew for England

Come on everybody sing along

• GeordieTwo

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Jesper mate have you got any more good hallucinogenic pie fillings available? That may in part explain why your mind is aglow with transient nodes of thought mate.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Welsh,
    Course it isn’t. But do you think that with the players that we have in the squad, 1win in our last 8 games, only scoring in 1 of those, not to mention knocked out of the cup at the first hurdle. Haven’t even mentioned we were beat by our local rivals.

Zero interest from the players, no tactics, or plan b. The man is out of his depth, and regardless of whether he has been hampered by his superiors, you don’t let someone drive a formula one car when they haven’t passed their driving test yet. He can’t make the most of what he has, so what makes anyone think he can do better with other players.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:20 PM

welsh

the point stand though that if i was managing this team we might do worse (certainly would actually) but if i was then given 5 better players i would get better results….it’s natural as there is more chance of players just doing something special if they are better.

Pardew would definitely do better with better players bu there are 2 points.

1. it still wouldn’t be getting the bets out of what he had

2. the owner doesn’t seem keen on building a big squad who all have ability, so we need somebody who can work with these guys

• GeordieTwo

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Oh and it’s whatever sinks my submarine JackButler @77.

• JackButler

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:22 PM

GeordieTwo

you are a strange one 😀

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:23 PM

G2,
    It is my Man Cave, and the women have been confined to the front room. Ha, that will show them! (Better?) No, you can’t come in. Shoo little lady!

Sage,
    Is there a Bridget Jones blog that I can discuss plot lines and casting with though??

Welsh,
    Would you be so happy if it was Pardew for Wales!! 😉

• GeordieTwo

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Can I be the first one on here to say I don’t really like Ashley very much? No, really I just don’t like him. It started as a vague irritation but now I would have to say it’s more severe than that. Does anybody else share these carefully hidden feelings?

• JackButler

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Lilongwe

Pardew for Wales???

Wash your mouth out, how dare you even think something like that ;(

• Transfer Sage

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM

BandB

very good article….my personal view is that the mag gets more season ticket holding readers than this blog so it will be better on there.

would be good for an article to be on here though….unless Ed is worried about giving out financial advice just in case it backfires….remember he lives in the land of suing.

• Markaccus

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM

G2 and Jack

Yes. The club is run badly. The team often plays badly, and often that is due to the manager making bad decisions. And licking bottoms is just wrong!

There is much to blame. There are many to blame.
    Pardew has imploded since cabayes sale, as have many of the players. Ashley has carried on doing what he has always done (toon, toon, fiscally secure army) and brought us precisely F#CK ALL.

• Markaccus

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM

G2

You have “come out” as an Ashley Hater. Welcome! 😀

• GeordieTwo

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Why yes, yes I am JackButler mate @91. Did you just notice? Have a word with Markaccus or Ibiza or Jesper for a more complete description. BandB on the other hand thinks I’m wonderful. She absolutely adores me.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM

lilongwe

I believe there is, no wait, that’s just my diary…oops

and the man cave sounds great, but also like a euphemism…as in “I’d like to shove a pineapple right into Ashley’s man cave”

• welshgeordie9

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM

The way Coleman is at the moment oh yes in fact I would rather have kinnear in charge.

• BandB

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Ernest,

I remember you explaining that. We (my family) didn’t arse about either. We just cancelled the DD. How many people can they afford to chase through court, we reckoned.
    Bobby Thompson the comedian made a joke of it once, a joke his generation understood. “I never worry about debt. I let them that’s owed the money worry.”

• Transfer Sage

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM

lilongwe and Jack

Then it’s agreed, we’ll pack pardews bags and send him on the next available train to wales.

• welshgeordie9

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Sorry JackButler

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Jack,
    Apologies to you. I shouldn’t have said that, treat others as you wish to be treated yourself and all that!! Pardew for……. sod it, just Pardew not for Newcastle (or England and Wales)

• welshgeordie9

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:29 PM

You got to laugh

• Transfer Sage

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Jack

Or maybe North Korea….he seems to like sucking up to a superior but over there this many defeats would result in him strapped to the next nuclear warhead they test.

• GeordieTwo

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:29 PM

A lot of you on here can’t seem to make up your minds about Ashley and Pards. You love them, you hate them. You think we have wonderful players, you think we have terrible players. You love Sports Direct hoardings, you hate Sports Direct hoardings. Hmmmm. Now where was I going with this? 😯

• Transfer Sage

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:30 PM

jack

then the sun really would shine out of his arse like he thinks….well something bright anyway

• Markaccus

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Welsh

Coleman has always been a bitter, petty minded Tw@t! I can’t believe Wales appointed him. He was bound to undo any good work done by Gary Speed (RIP)

• stuart no9

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:32 PM

I just can’t believe people when they say ” we have to turn it it around starting from next week , ot pardew saying ‘ just not good enough , I never want to see another performance like that , 2 years down the line guess what ???? We have to turn it around starting from next week and that performance just wasn’t good enough for these fans . Pardew could help himself by turning it around and getting those performances better , but he can’t – he just can’t do it . They are comments that really make my teeth itch .

• welshgeordie9

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Gary speed was a very good manager and also mark Hughes

• JackButler

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Markaccus

Ashley is Ashley and will never change how he approaches this club, the fans or anything related to the City, his interest is in money, not football and he’s not concerned about trampling over everything we love.

The players are seeing what is going on and are seeing the best player being sold and not replaced and are themselves left questioning what is happening and where we are going as a club and as a direct result performances are tailing off into the realm’s of the abysmal.

Pardew has always been a manager of limited ability and needs everything working for him in order to get the results and performances. the man will latch onto anything in order to have an excuse as to why we are failing but will never come out and say what we all know and for that reason alone I have zero respect for the man

• BandB

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Ernest,

I have been meaning to ask. Why Ernest Hemingway? It’s a bit different from ToonToon, etc.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Sage,
    I’m not sure I want to go anywhere near Ashley’s ‘man cave’!!

Welsh,
    Haha, but if only Wales would breed 2 or 3 better players, then Coleman would do better! 🙂

To be fair, Coleman is similar to Pardew, not cut out for top. Pardew is an old fashioned manager, given our clubs structure, we need a Head Coach who knows how to develop and bring the best out of what he has. That isn’t Pardew. I thought that last year, then he almost had me thinking he had changed his ideology. It has all collapsed in on itself though now, and time is up in my opinion. It will take a lot to bring me back to support him this time….

• JackButler

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM

To be honest I don’t care where Pardew goes………………as long as he does go

• GeordieTwo

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM

I hope my comments on here are helping everyone to clarify (in their own minds) their particular stance toward the club and owner. I feel a sincere need to share these thoughts (from my own mind) because. otherwise there might be confusion (in peoples’ minds). Thank you.

• welshgeordie9

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM

If we had 10 Gareth bales we might just win the world cup

• GeordieTwo

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Yes Ernie, why are you Ernie?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Sadly, and God rest his soul, I don’t think Gary Speed had enough time as a anger to be classed as a good manager or not…. If we are calling Mark Hughes a good manager though, then I guess Speedo was as well.