web analytics

Some Really Surprising News On Jonas Gutierrez

There´s some surprising news  today in the Sun that former Newcastle United winger Jonas Gutierrez is suing the Tyneside club over disability discrimination.

Jonas Gutierrez is suing Newcastle for £2M over the way the Argentine was treated both during and following his battle with testicular cancer.

jonas gutierrez scores - west ham

Jonas Gutierrez scoring with 5 minutes to go in his Newcastle career

The really good news was that Jonas was successful in his fight with testicular cancer and currently he is cancer free and playing for Deportivo in Spain.

Jonas was informed in a cell phone call from then interim head coach John Carver that he (and Ryan Taylor) were not having their contracts renewed and that was after the final game of the season.

We put that down to a complete lack of professionalism and man management from John Carver, can you ever imagine somebody like Steve McClaren doing that?

But John Carver showed in the five months he was interim head coach at Newcastle that he didn´t  have a clue about managing players – it was embarrassing.

the sun

Here´s the Sun Sports page today

Carver should have arranged a face to face meeting with both of the players individually to tell them the news – that´s management 101 and with anything as personal as that – it has to be done face to face.

But Lee Charnley, who has not impressed us, has to also take responsibility for that piece  of crass management  – he´s the one running the club on a day-to-day basis for owner Mike Ashley.

This is what Jonas said at the time in a BBC Radio 5 interview about the news he was not getting a new contract:

“I think man to man, face to face is the nice thing to do,” “It made me think they don’t care about anything.”

“I had been there seven years, I always did my best. The only 18 months I didn’t play was because I was going through my illness.”

“Maybe they could have told me before the end of the season so I could say thank you to the fans on the pitch after the last game.”

Jonas had that final fantastic game when he was easily our Man of the Match against West Ham and voted the best player in Europe on that final weekend of the season.

He made the first and scored Newcastle´s second goal and at the time Jonas still thought he was able to get a contract extension at Newcastle.

In July this is what he had said in Argentina:

“Things weren’t done in the best way, they weren’t very honest.” “They didn’t do things like I would have hoped, but that’s now done and I’m looking forward.”

“It’s bothersome because I don’t think it was the right way to let me go, but that’s it.”

“I’m looking forward and I feel comfortable training, I feel good physically, one can’t look back, only forward, and give importance to the present.”

It was a bad situation and made a lot worse by the incompetent way Lee Charnley and John Carver handled the situation and it made news around the world – bad news for Newcastle United.

Newcastle United have made no comment on this – so far.

If this news is accurate Newcastle should settle this out of court and quickly too – the club will look bad if it goes to court.

The club did not handle Jonas’ sickness well from the very start when Alan Pardew – as Jonas was having chemotherapy treatment – told him he had to look for a new club.

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Lip-reading, Band B.

Jail @39 – very well said

• martoon

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM

The overrated Frenchman @35 – I accept there is a lot wrong with the club and you do right to take them to task about it. I just feel in this particular case your venom was spat at the wrong person who was merely stating the facts that we have a lot of injuries – the medical staff are busy!

• Jib

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:15 AM

BandB
    I am not sure how anyone can claim to know what silent people are thinking.

Which fool claimed that ?

What an idiot if he said it

Oops hang on

• sickandtired

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Hardly like Jonas was this regimes first victim, was it?
    *KK tribunal (lost and branded as liars)
    * Broke up the players committee and sold all who were vocal in it
    * Broke up the singing section
    * Renaming Shearers
    * Hand picked ‘fans forum’ with a now reduced meeting schedule
    * Owner who has publicly spoken once, for 3 mins, in the 9 seasons he has been here
    * Current MD communicates only via occasional email
    * Sale of Gallowgate land, now for an Ashley commercial development – not NUFC’s.
    They treat everyone with contempt and there’s nowt new in any of that. Anyone attempting to defend this lot are as bad as they are.

• Jib

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Sav
    Jonas thanked the club at the time for the Norwich loan.
    Jonas was told the best way to get his head together after the chemo was to play , Pardew couldn’t guarantee him game time at SJP so he sent him to Norwich where there was more chance of him getting a game.

• Slank

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:25 AM

I remember reading that Jonas was still paid during and following his battle with cancer. Is his complaint that he wasn’t paid ? Also, doesn’t the club insure all the players on their books ?

With regard to the text. That is crass management by I presume Carver but not an unknown way of delivering news nowadays, sadly.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Could somebody speaking out against that despotic regime in N Korea be deemed unpatriotic, I guess that in the eyes of somebody very pro regime they would be !

• catchy in norway

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Anceint

I happen to think Shteve is doing a miles better job than Chaver or P45.

The new players have settled in well , we try and play football from the back, we get bodies in the box, but he has been unfortunate with some results, even the city result, first half we more than held out against them and could easily have been 3-0 up going in at the break,

The problem in my opinion is the mentality that both p45 and Chaver left behind , they took some good players and turned them into zombies.

3-0 to us vs Norwich on Sunday

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Slank,
    Yup terrible management by honest John Carver, I can just imagine him dreaming up that one and rushing to the phone in the faint hope of keeping his job !
    Not sure if I was being sarcastic there ?

• sickandtired

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Utter bollarx and someone seems to be wanting to re-write the events.
    Jonas actually said (and is directly quoted) :-
    “The manager told me in December I was not going to play any more and told me to find myself another club.

“I don’t know why it happened and I still don’t understand what I did wrong.

“There were no rows with Alan Pardew or anything like that. He just said I needed to leave and that was that.

“I honestly don’t know why I wasn’t playing, you will have to ask the manager that. He just made his decision and that was it.

“Something must have happened – but I don’t know what.”

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Catchy,
    You have to say that !

• Slank

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Sick

Is that a reason why Jonas wants £2M ?

• Tsunki

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Nobody should feel sorry for a young millionaire if he complains about his wages, or how he’d rather play in a warmer country. But Jonas isn’t doing that. He’s talking about simple respect. The club valued him enough to make him a millionaire, if he wasn’t already, so what’s wrong in making the time to have a man to man chat with him when you’re letting him go? At best it’s appalling planning.

And Jeff, you are indeed a valued member of NUFC fandom. Because you react to a player, who has been a loyal and hardworking servant, misused by a clueless tactician, running off form as a legitimate target for your lamentable ‘comedic’ ridicule. All based on a story which you claim is nonsense. I seem to recall your undying love for our club legend Mr Moncur. Strangely you don’t see his ‘ more tea?’ role of late as being a dip in firm. How prized you are among the supporting throng. You aren’t funny in any sense.

• sickandtired

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Slank – no idea if he was or wasn’t ‘paid’ but I would suspect money has little to do with this at all. They treated him like a Leper, that is a fact, and whatever the club does for players, Jonas has stated several times he paid for all his treatment himself..
    He’s considering the action under disability discrimination law and to me it seems to be a way for him to reach closure over how the regime treated him.

• Tsunki

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:50 AM

No Jail not the Fail! 🙂

No smoke there either eh?

• Mister Tuff

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Jib Jibberish (the blog pest and part-time multiple) does it again – using Google is fine but without any other knowledge of the club it always exposes the wums, trolls, Pallion Plonkers and “Johnny come lately types”.
    Jibberish -you posted earlier that KK was offered monies in an “out of court” settlement. No he wasn’t there were no such offers made. Man you know nowt about the club (and football in general).
    You seriously need to change your game – why not go back to rugby (you brag you used to play) – but make a slight change – I hear Ladies rugby is becoming popular. Alternatively the Ladies Wrestling Forum or a netball forum.
    What a knacker.
    Be off with you you Sunderland scroat, you Pallion Plonker.

• catchy in norway

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Why jail?

• catchy in norway

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Jail

Read the posters in this blog , first half vs city, a lot of happy people. Shame it was spoiled by 20 mins of poor goal keeping and some dodgy defending

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:59 AM

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Spoiled six times catchy.

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:03 PM

martoon@42 OK, the medical staff are busy. Why not just say that instead of using language that implies that they are working their fingers to the bone and performing miracles and we should be in awe of their efforts.They continue to insult our intelligence, and to be getting it from a blockhead like Simpson just doesn’t sit well with me.

• Ron Knee

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Pedantry corner
    From The Mirror: “Gutierrez was a fan’s favourite at the club”.
    Surely he had more than one?

• Jib

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Tuffty
    Keegan vehemently denied the out of court settlement at the time.
    However in the words of Christine Keeler (or was it Mandy Rice – Davies) he would wouldn’t he .

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Surely the medical team “working magic” is likely to be the one that has the fewest injuries to treat, prevention being a key part of any medic’s role.

• catchy in norway

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Bandb

Yes it was 6 times, I think Krul should have done a lot better with most of them 🙁

• Tsunki

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Yep shame about that little blip. But for the second half we’d have ‘ad ’em

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:15 PM

“But apart from that, Mrs Kennedy, did you enjoy the drive?

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:17 PM

BandB@65- Take your venom and bile to a mackem blog where it belongs.

• Ron Knee

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:19 PM

BandB
    Do you know: “But apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?’

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Why catchy ?
    Because if you said he was shyte it would look like you were continually moaning about management and not the bigger issue. At the end of the day Mclaren is a failed, sacked championship manager chosen not for his ability but because he had the best CV of someone who buys into our policy, a policy in which he had no interest in until he had no choice !

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:21 PM

I do Ron (Ron)
    I do
    Ron (Ron)

ToF….you were right about the squirming.

• Ron Knee

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:25 PM

BandB
    “But apart from that, Ms Clarkson, did you enjoy your evening with Mr Spector?”

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Ron

Weird…
    I was reading about that for the first time only yesterday…

• ilovetoon8788

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM

2million ???? ! that’s our january transfer budget gone then.

• Ron Knee

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Cue for a song by the Carpenters (or maybe not).

• Tsunki

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:32 PM

So, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, apart from that did you enjoy the dri…oh…er….

• lesh

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:33 PM

BandB

Years ago, a poster that went by Stardust, used to behave in a troublesome and narcisstic way.

He/ she claimed to live (live?) in Benwell or Cruddas Park and was banned by Ed a few times. But, persistsntly, he/ she would reappear under other names.

A troublesome poster who reminds me of somebody that currently posts. Who could that be?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:34 PM

So Nancy did you think he was acting,
    No, he’s not that good !

• catchy in norway

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:35 PM

Jail

Sorry but as much as I like reading your posts , I think your wrong, if I thought for one second that Shteve was failing , I would be the first to have a go at him. You have to trust me on that, you say failed championship manager , I think it was more down to NUFC for him failing at Derby than his ability , his ability had them flying until we stuck our necks in ,

As for the start to this season , I think it’s going as many thought it would do, but more down to our opening fixtures than anything else. I’m sick of reading about not buying prem experience is costing us, when in fact 3 of our better players so far have been new signings , which enforces the fact the problem was left at the club from previous management.

As for Ashley, will I ever trust him , NO WAY. But he did buy good players for good money in the summer. He kept to his word.

If I was the club, this summer I would go all out to get Debore from Ajax. He said he is ready,