web analytics

Some Really Surprising News On Jonas Gutierrez

There´s some surprising news  today in the Sun that former Newcastle United winger Jonas Gutierrez is suing the Tyneside club over disability discrimination.

Jonas Gutierrez is suing Newcastle for £2M over the way the Argentine was treated both during and following his battle with testicular cancer.

jonas gutierrez scores - west ham

Jonas Gutierrez scoring with 5 minutes to go in his Newcastle career

The really good news was that Jonas was successful in his fight with testicular cancer and currently he is cancer free and playing for Deportivo in Spain.

Jonas was informed in a cell phone call from then interim head coach John Carver that he (and Ryan Taylor) were not having their contracts renewed and that was after the final game of the season.

We put that down to a complete lack of professionalism and man management from John Carver, can you ever imagine somebody like Steve McClaren doing that?

But John Carver showed in the five months he was interim head coach at Newcastle that he didn´t  have a clue about managing players – it was embarrassing.

the sun

Here´s the Sun Sports page today

Carver should have arranged a face to face meeting with both of the players individually to tell them the news – that´s management 101 and with anything as personal as that – it has to be done face to face.

But Lee Charnley, who has not impressed us, has to also take responsibility for that piece  of crass management  – he´s the one running the club on a day-to-day basis for owner Mike Ashley.

This is what Jonas said at the time in a BBC Radio 5 interview about the news he was not getting a new contract:

“I think man to man, face to face is the nice thing to do,” “It made me think they don’t care about anything.”

“I had been there seven years, I always did my best. The only 18 months I didn’t play was because I was going through my illness.”

“Maybe they could have told me before the end of the season so I could say thank you to the fans on the pitch after the last game.”

Jonas had that final fantastic game when he was easily our Man of the Match against West Ham and voted the best player in Europe on that final weekend of the season.

He made the first and scored Newcastle´s second goal and at the time Jonas still thought he was able to get a contract extension at Newcastle.

In July this is what he had said in Argentina:

“Things weren’t done in the best way, they weren’t very honest.” “They didn’t do things like I would have hoped, but that’s now done and I’m looking forward.”

“It’s bothersome because I don’t think it was the right way to let me go, but that’s it.”

“I’m looking forward and I feel comfortable training, I feel good physically, one can’t look back, only forward, and give importance to the present.”

It was a bad situation and made a lot worse by the incompetent way Lee Charnley and John Carver handled the situation and it made news around the world – bad news for Newcastle United.

Newcastle United have made no comment on this – so far.

If this news is accurate Newcastle should settle this out of court and quickly too – the club will look bad if it goes to court.

The club did not handle Jonas’ sickness well from the very start when Alan Pardew – as Jonas was having chemotherapy treatment – told him he had to look for a new club.

• mindshaft

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Not sure Jonas will have much luck in the courts, as has been mentioned he was on full salary and the club have no legal obligation to do anything but fulfill the terms of the contract.

• Big Foot

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Jib,

I would class myself as one of the silent majority who follow and read the blog but rarely post due to not having the spare time to continue decent discussions/dialogue. So to pose a brief question to you and a brief yes/no response would do; are you the same person who previously posted under the name of Jeff from Benwell? Just purely out of interest.

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:41 PM

It may not be about the money.
    Jonas can get it off his chest in court, with legal privilege.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:43 PM

lesh,
    jeff from benwell claimed to be from there and named local pubs as his watering hole until someone posted a link to the nightowls when a jeff from benwell with severe learning difficulties was shown, jeff then claimed to live in Liverpool, Afghanistan and Benidorm and partied with celebrities while being an early seventies football hooligan, as well as being a prop forward for Tynedale Rugby club, his new character Jib is very much the same but has added modern languages lecturer to his resume.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Have I got this right? Percy and John are getting the blame for this season? Leaving us with a poor mentality? Well, well, well. I’ve heard it all.

• Tsunki

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Nice one BF but I wouldn’t hold your breath for the answer. He’s jeff alright though.

Lesh that’s not the Stardust on the ‘ other’ blog is it?

• Tsunki

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Jail I think jeff is also on the speaking circuit, lecturing on modern politics or the like.

• NezzaNUFC

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Sorry but Jonas won’t get 2 million because Newcastle didn’t have any intention of giving him a new contract, so Newcastle didn’t let him go because of his so called disability for having cancer, sorry but I’ve had testicular cancer a few years ago with a all clear and I also have lung cancer which is banine or however it’s spelt lol and it’s not a disability.

Jonas and agent being greedy I reckon.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Lesh
    I know Stardust in real life. Very funny guy with interesting takes on all things NUFC. Hasn’t got much time for blogging these days. Pity.

• Tsunki

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Blackley I think as far as Ed is concerned the ghost of JC continues to haunt the sjp corridors to this day.

• Tsunki

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Lesh that’s probably a no, then.

• Big Foot

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Tsunki,

I presume this is where the guy disappears and reappears later when the discussion has moved on? It was a simple question that could be given a simple answer. Silence speaks volumes i guess.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Jib Jibberish ( the blog pest and part-time multiple).
    Some key phrases from the Tribunal s reported by the Mail. The phrases of the tribunal clearly point the finger as to who was lying – and it wasn’t KK.
    More damaging than the £2m pay-out is the panel’s indictment of the Newcastle hierarchy. The hearing declared that the club had admitted to ‘repeatedly and intentionally misleading the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United’, while the evidence given by owner Mike Ashley and his fellow executives over the course of the two-week hearing was described at one point in the verdict as ‘profoundly unsatisfactory’.”

Desist in your feeble efforts at trying to re-invent history – trickery and deceipt are not acceptable.

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:06 PM

I always thought it worked out well for the club the news of Jonas’s until then secret battle with cancer emerged right on the eve of the biggest SackPardew protest.
    As it was, it was it created a situation in which it appeared very unseemly and petty to applaud Jonas and boo the manager.
    I think Jonas may have some stories he wants to tell.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Nezza,
    Greedy, the guy must be a multi millionaire do you really think it’s about the money ?

• NezzaNUFC

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:11 PM

Jail

Sueing Newcastle for 2 million!

Yes it’s called being greedy, what in any rights have Jonas got to claim 2 million?

Like I said in my post Newcastle had no intention of giving him a new contract same with Ryan Taylor.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Nezza @ 88 I’m afraid you are wrong – cancer is a disability under the Disability Discrimination Act and Equality Act. The law was changed a few years ago and affords workers certain protected rights under the re-vamped legislation.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Nezza,
    Were the people who were hacked by the NoFTW being greedy ?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Tsunki
    Ed likes to contrast the rot of JC with the reign of King Percy. He puts the boot up JC at every opportunity, even when the article has nothing to do with it. It’s hilarious. But he is now seeing how Makro is struggling with the addition of £50m of reinforcements, and there are signs he might be having a reappraisal of the man who ultimately kept us up. Although he will never forgive what he sees as his embarrassing antics.

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Ironically, I think someone from the club may be very keen to arrange a face-to-face meeting as soon as possible. Maybe it needs Colo to fly out…see how he’s getting on, and stuff.

• NezzaNUFC

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Tuff

I never knew it had changed mate and thanks for the update.

I’ve never considered it a disability unless it was severe but still I don’t see Jonas having a case for this.

• NezzaNUFC

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Jail

NoFTW?

And what does this have to do with the Jonas case?

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:20 PM

Nezza,

I imagine you went into work to tell your boss that you’d been diagnosed with cancer, and he subsequently suggests you find yourself a new job.

Would you not think that just a trifle unsympathetic?

• Ron Knee

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:24 PM

BandB
    I imagine the trouble-shooting mission would start on 24 October, or maybe a little sooner?

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:25 PM

This is solano, accurately predicting the reaction of sections of this blog not long after the news broke.

solano // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:05 AM

BnB: Whatever the details of Jonas’ claim, I think we have had more than a few hints/rumours of how the club were perceived to have behaved upon finding out about his condition,so it’s no great surprise.
    What will be interesting to see is how the real Super Toon Geordie mega fans turn against Jonas/Judas for challenging Sports Direct’s methods of treating sickness at work.
    I note the £2m claim is the same amount that KK claimed for his unfair dismissal case and many chose to stick to the club’s offiicial line and slag the greatest figure in our recent history…even after they lost in a court of law! I can see Jonas being blamed for threatening our January budget by the sycophants and the pinky wonga people!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Nezza,
    Your post suggested that h was being greedy as he was suing the club, it sounded like you were saying it was greed because he was after money, the people who were hacked by the News of The World were also suing, also wanting monetary compensation but wanting more than just money, they wanted apologies and justice, until you know the case history you can’t just accuse Jonas of being greedy.

• NezzaNUFC

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:26 PM

BandB

I don’t have a boss, I am the boss.

The time Jonas was mistreated was the time that Newcastle let him go to Norwich on loan.

There maybe other times he’s been mistreated by Newcastle but to come out puplic and state Newcastle didn’t give him a contract because he had a disability is by all mean’s making yourself look silly.

He may get compensated for being mistreated while at Newcastle but 2 million? Get over man.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:27 PM

BandB
    Did the club honour Jonas’ contract? Did they pay him while he was ill and did they make a footballing decision to loan him to Norwich? What are you supposing is Jonas’ case? It should be interesting to see, if we ever do. I can’t recall the sequence of events.

• martoon

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Tuff @97 – From what I heard on the radio this morning that’s exactly the act that his legal team are basing their case on.

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Nezza,

Well, he’ll likely come to court and have his say and no amount of whining by you is likely to affect that.

• NezzaNUFC

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Jail

Then why didn’t Jonas just come out and say I want an apology from Newcastle with the way they treated me at his time here instead of listening to his agent.

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Blackley,

I haven’t a clue, and therefore I’m not going to go into overdrive trying to rubbish whatever it may be.
    As I say, I imagine he wants his day in court, regardless of the outcome.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:32 PM

BandB
    So far as I’ve noticed on this blog, there’s no evidence that Solano’s prediction has been proved right. Most have supported Jonas whilst others have responded to that support by giving an altetnative view. Unless I’ve missed something, which is not beyond the realms of possibility.

• martoon

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Like others have stated about Jonas it’s probably not about the money it’s about the way he thinks he was treated. If he did win I wouldn’t be surprised if he gave it all to a cancer charity.

• NezzaNUFC

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:33 PM

BandB

It’s not whining it’s being realistic.

2 million? Did Newcastle cause his disability? No!

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Sadly Nezza, I doubt whether the issue will be decided by a show of hands on the NUFC.Blog.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Nezza,
    Have you got a poster on the wall that says there are two rules at this place ?

• beefman13

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Why didnt Jonas have the best health insurance on the market that covered everything, i mean the fella was on Tyneside for 7 years he must have averaged 30 G`s a week.

That surely must be a priority if your Country has no National Health service.

• optimistic prime

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:56 PM

It doesn’t really matter who thinks Jonas is right or wrong, most would agree the whole situation was dealt with unprofessionally.

To me this entire episode showed the Slug and his puppets in a true light.

This isn’t the only time over the last 8years the club has shown a utter lack of class.

There’s more class in the bollock Jonas had removed than Ashley or any of his puppets can claim to have!
    Check out Shirebrook etc.

A bit like people turning up for home matches in tuxedos because there’s no club suit or jacket, I’m sure the the slug could discount a couple dozen jackets from his sweat shops.

Nae class!

Sunday league clubs are run more proffesional and have way more discipline!

Ashley out!

I vote for Jonas’s exiled bollock to replace Lee Charnley in running the club!

• Mister Tuff

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:02 PM

I’ve extracted this little bit from the web about Disability Discrimination which shows probably what Jonas is pursuing.

“What the Equality Act means for people with cancer

The Equality Act considers a diagnosis of cancer as a disability. You don’t have to have symptoms or to consider yourself to be disabled by your cancer to be covered. But the Act gives you important rights. These rights might affect

Your work
    Your education
    How you use services
    Your housing needs

Your work

These rights mean that you can negotiate for reasonable changes in your work or workplace. The term reasonable means that any changes or adaptations must be practical for your employer, in terms of cost and effects on other workers.

For example, if you need time off work for treatment and recovery your employer might allow you a period of leave and your job will still be there when you want to go back. Or it might be reasonable to have more flexible working hours so you can carry on working. And the Act also gives you legal protection if you feel your employer has treated you unfairly.

You don’t have to tell your employer you have cancer. But if you don’t tell them, they can’t make any changes to your job or workplace. You can ask your employer to keep the information confidential so only people you agree to have this information are told.”

Reading the penultimate paragraph I think is what Jonas will be using. Clearly when you report you have the big C your employer should not respond along the lines “you’d better FO and find another club then.”

Really can you imagine if Jonas had been publicly supported by the club – with a bit of PR attached – few photo sessions -link it with other campaigns re the big C – highlight the magnificent display in the West Ham game – NUFC would have gained so many friends with admiration and understanding.
    But what do they do -go in the opposite direction -probably to save a few bob and now it is probably going to cost them a couple of million. Will they ever learn?