web analytics

Some Really Surprising News On Jonas Gutierrez

There´s some surprising news  today in the Sun that former Newcastle United winger Jonas Gutierrez is suing the Tyneside club over disability discrimination.

Jonas Gutierrez is suing Newcastle for £2M over the way the Argentine was treated both during and following his battle with testicular cancer.

jonas gutierrez scores - west ham

Jonas Gutierrez scoring with 5 minutes to go in his Newcastle career

The really good news was that Jonas was successful in his fight with testicular cancer and currently he is cancer free and playing for Deportivo in Spain.

Jonas was informed in a cell phone call from then interim head coach John Carver that he (and Ryan Taylor) were not having their contracts renewed and that was after the final game of the season.

We put that down to a complete lack of professionalism and man management from John Carver, can you ever imagine somebody like Steve McClaren doing that?

But John Carver showed in the five months he was interim head coach at Newcastle that he didn´t  have a clue about managing players – it was embarrassing.

the sun

Here´s the Sun Sports page today

Carver should have arranged a face to face meeting with both of the players individually to tell them the news – that´s management 101 and with anything as personal as that – it has to be done face to face.

But Lee Charnley, who has not impressed us, has to also take responsibility for that piece  of crass management  – he´s the one running the club on a day-to-day basis for owner Mike Ashley.

This is what Jonas said at the time in a BBC Radio 5 interview about the news he was not getting a new contract:

“I think man to man, face to face is the nice thing to do,” “It made me think they don’t care about anything.”

“I had been there seven years, I always did my best. The only 18 months I didn’t play was because I was going through my illness.”

“Maybe they could have told me before the end of the season so I could say thank you to the fans on the pitch after the last game.”

Jonas had that final fantastic game when he was easily our Man of the Match against West Ham and voted the best player in Europe on that final weekend of the season.

He made the first and scored Newcastle´s second goal and at the time Jonas still thought he was able to get a contract extension at Newcastle.

In July this is what he had said in Argentina:

“Things weren’t done in the best way, they weren’t very honest.” “They didn’t do things like I would have hoped, but that’s now done and I’m looking forward.”

“It’s bothersome because I don’t think it was the right way to let me go, but that’s it.”

“I’m looking forward and I feel comfortable training, I feel good physically, one can’t look back, only forward, and give importance to the present.”

It was a bad situation and made a lot worse by the incompetent way Lee Charnley and John Carver handled the situation and it made news around the world – bad news for Newcastle United.

Newcastle United have made no comment on this – so far.

If this news is accurate Newcastle should settle this out of court and quickly too – the club will look bad if it goes to court.

The club did not handle Jonas’ sickness well from the very start when Alan Pardew – as Jonas was having chemotherapy treatment – told him he had to look for a new club.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Had Percy already told Jonas his contract would not be renewed? Was Jonas in Darras Hall or Argentina when the club contacted him at thevend of the season to thank him for his services?

• RUNAWAY777

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM

no they did not cause his disability,but when they found out about it they wanted him gone,that last game he single handed got the point we needed to stay up, couple bloggers on hear should bow there heads in shame jones you get that money away you can nufc is nothing but parasites from top to bottom

• Ibizatoon

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Blackley…Neither. They were in the distant land of Northern Ireland.

• Slank

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:08 PM

If he is bringing a court case under the Disability Discrimination and Equality Act all I can think is that the club dismissed him or wouldn’t select him because he had developed a disability.

The fact that he then (I think) played for Norwich and eventually us must complicate the issue. Also the fact that he returned to his employer and presumably was declared fit enough to play competitive football must further complicate things unless his issue with club is something else that warrants compensation worth £2M.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:09 PM

beefman…The subject isn’t that he couldn’t get the medical care he needed. At the time he said he paid for the treatment, as he needed it and there are more important things than money.

He also then said this.

“Two things I learn from my illness how you can support a player (newcastle fans) and how you leave a player alone (newcastle owner).”

My guess is this has nothing to do with money.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Blackley – he still had about a year of his contract to run, I think, so if he’s under contract he’s still an employee and therefore has protection re discrimination -adding of course that the club ALSO has it’s responsibilities for employees.

• RUNAWAY777

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Former Newcastle star Jonas Gutierrez launches £2m disability discrimination claim against club after he paid for his own medical treatment during cancer battle and was dropped after emotional comeback
    Newcastle released Jonas Gutierrez at the end of last season do football clubs not cover there players with insurance

• Jib

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM

The timeline was thus:-
    May 2013 Kicked in the groin while making a tackle at Arsenal
    Summer 2013 Concerns over the injury not clearing up , a tumour discovered
    October 2013 a return to Buenos Aires (recommended by the club doctor) where Jonas agrees to have testicle removed which is done straightaway and he seems to make a full recovery.
    Jan 2014 Jonas old manager Chris Hughton agrees to take him at Norwich for 6 months
    as he is not getting game time at NUFC (however he sustains a calf injuryand only plays 4 times )
    April 2014 Norwich sack Hughton
    May 2014 After feeling poorly Jonas is mortified to find out that far from being clear the cancer is now in his lymph nodes .
    He returns to BA to undergo a course of chemo
    which looks up to now to have been successful
    He then returned to NUFC not long before Pardew walked.
    Where his lawyer’s claim for dicrimination comes from is not quite clear.

Here is a very garbled interview he gave after training at Coruna today.
    He makes a clear point of saying Charnley was always concerned for his health and treated him fine but he says the ones who weren’t sympathetic know who they are.
    All a bit petty and melodramatic if you ask me.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Lads and Lasses – this Equality and Discrimination stuff should be “bread and butter” to employers -and probably employees. I’ve been on courses on this very subject.
    For the club to fall foul of this I’m afraid illustrates their hapless and incompetent practices.
    Really this IS bread and butter stuff.

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Melodramatic Jib?
    I thought it wasn’t true?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:23 PM

So jeff it’s gone from being made up nonsense to petty and melodramatic?

• Ibizatoon

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Jib…thanks for the link. As you know, my Spanish isn’t great, so I will look to you here.

“A partir de mi periodo de quimioterapia -la temporada pasada- vuelvo al club y se da también una cosa, que tenía una la cláusula de renovación de contrato por una cantidad de partidos. En las últimas nueve jornadas, juego siete de titular y me faltaron dos partidos para llegar a esa cláusula”

Does it have anything to do with this?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:34 PM

Tuff
    You seem to be pre-supposing that the club has fallen foul of the legislation. Fans who hate the regime and know their poor record seem to be taking it as read that the club is at fault in this particular case. Football is no exception to the legislation. However, it is a peculiar business. The employer should support its employee through his illness as far as is teasonably possible and I agree your sentiments in your ginal paragraph @120 above. However, is it kinder to tell someone, if it is the case, that for footballing reasons their vontract will not be renewed? If you don’t want a player for footballing reasons, what are you meant to do? The best thing is to support their rehabilitation and help them get a new club. If people are honest, they’d admit Jonas took some heavy criticism on this blog for years. Many who wanted him out of the club are no doubt criticising the club for moving him on. I support Jonas in any legitimate action against the club and say good luck to him. Nobody knows his cause of action or indeed whether this story has any legs.

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Ibizatoon,

I always thought it was very sweet of Jonas to allow the story of his cancer fight be used in the way it was.
    Perhaps he thought he was showing just the sort of loyalty to the club that might be well-looked upon in contract negotiations?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:39 PM

And no I don’t galk like ghat. My finger is too big gor my samsung geyboard.

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Quite right Blackley.

No-one knows what the detail of Jonas’s case will be, or how they will align with the provisions of Equality and Disability legislation.

So obviously, no-one will be pre-judging the issue.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:42 PM

Jib…Are you sure you speak Spanish? Now, I am not a confident speaker or reader of the language, I don’t hide from that, but if you really do, I can’t help but feel you’re misleading us with your translation.

How can you read that and then say “Where his lawyer’s claim for dicrimination comes from is not quite clear”.

Does this following part not basically say that he always was a first team regular, during the first 5 years, then he got an injury. After returning from that injury it turned out he had a tumour, and then after that treatment he was told he’d have to find a new club?

“Lo que sentí en el último tiempo en el club (Newcastle) fue una discriminación a partir de mi enfermedad. Básicamente, me baso en lo que pasó después de la operación y el tratamiento. En los primeros cinco años en el equipo prácticamente no tuve ausencias”, relató. “A partir del sexto, que inicio como titular, tengo una lesión muscular y, cuando vuelvo, me detectan un tumor en el testículo. Cuando vuelvo de la operación me dicen que me busque club. No son cosas normales para un jugador que no se había perdido partidos en los cinco primeros años”, criticó.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:46 PM

BandB…Perhaps Jonas thought the clubs situation (pending relegation) was more important that his own personal aggreivances at that particular moment.

Whatever peoples thoughts on Jonas’ ability, the guy gave his all for NUFC. It may not have been enough (ability wise), but he gave all he had. I can’t say the same for those who are charged with running the club.

Then again, that isn’t a legal issue, and not what he’s suing the club for. Nice for people to remember though before labelling him greedy, petty or melodramatic.

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:46 PM

However, as you say Blackley,

“If people are honest, they’d admit Jonas took some heavy criticism on this blog for years. Many who wanted him out of the club are no doubt criticising the club for moving him on.”

Surely someone should be apprising the club’s lawyers with this piece of highly relevant evidence?

• terencelim

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:47 PM

The 18th richest club in the world is rooted to the bottom of the Premier League.

I always hope someday Ashley take over ManUtd.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:05 PM

I think the club will try to settle out of court. I think Jonas will turn them down. I think this will become interesting.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Hey, why rely on my dodgy Spanish…

Interviewer: You go back to England, to Newcastle, and what did they tell you there?

JG: I was training by the end of November, the team was in a good moment [of form] and in the middle of December the coach told me that the best option was that I looked for a [new] club.

Interviewer: Did that surprise you?

JG: Yes, obviously because I had always been playing, for five years, always playing, and to then go to the situation where they wanted to loan me out…

• thejokethatisnufc

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Good i dont blame him

• Mister Tuff

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Blackley – I hope I was not pre -judging the Jonas case – just summising what he might be getting at. Indeed we’ll all have to wait for further details to be known.
    However, I may have been influenced by my KK tribunal post earlier in respect of the club telling porkies, false PR etc etc.
    Unfortunately, and this is not intended to sound bad but when something like this happens the employer is “unfortunately” left holding the baby to some extent until the employees problems are sorted out.
    Typically you would assume that if any course of action was decided upon by the hierarchy – it would be normal practice to run the proposals via HR (or equivalent) to make sure the course of action was legal and no potential for pot holes to appear later. Either this was not done or their advice was overuled (all this is summising they have a case to answer – so really we can only muse about what may or may not have occurred.

Either way it seems another blast of negative publicity associated with the club.

• davis_toons

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:57 AM

The Best man for Captain Role After Colo is Georginio Wijnaldum.

Give the Arm Band to him. He will motivated the rest and fight. Time will tell.