Newcastle have put out a fact-file on new signing Jesus Gamez and I have used most of that and augmented it some.
Gamez seems like a great signing for us on a short two year deal for the 31 year-old.
He brings experience, skill and leadership to the Newcastle squad and as Rafa has said – he’s a great character and an excellent professional.
Jesus Gamez – new signing for Newcastle
Here’s some of the facts on Jesus:
- Jesus Gamez Duarte was born in Fuengirola, Spain, on April 10th, 1985
- The full back is five feet 11-and-a-half inches tall, or 1.82 metres – from now on we’ll call that 6ft tall
- On Wikipedia he’s down as being a Newcastle United player who plays mainly as a right-back – we shall see
- Jesus began his career at his hometown club, Fuengirola, as a junior
- He moved to Malaga in 2000 and progressed through the ranks, earning four caps for Spain at under-23 level in 2005
- He was part of the victorious Spanish under-23 team at the Mediterranean Games in 2005.
- After playing over 40 games for the Malaga B side Gamez made his La Liga debut as a substitute on 27 November 2005 in a 2–3 away loss against Getafe
- Malaga were relegated in that season (2006) and Gamez was a regular in the Spanish second division for the next two seasons
- Malaga were promoted in 2008 and by that time Gamez was a regular starter for the side
- Jesus played 35 games in their first season back to the top league in Spain as he continued to be the first choice right back
- Gamez was appointed captain of Malaga in the summer of 2011 when goalkeeper Francesc Arnau retired
- Gamez led the club into the Champions League at the end of the 2011/12 season thanks to a 4th place La Liga finish.
- Gamez further extended his contract with the club that summer and went on to represent Malaga a total of 256 times
- In August 2014, Gamez signed for Atletico Madrid for a fee of over £2M.
- In his first season at the Vicente Calderon, he made a total of 21 appearances under manager Diego Simeone, making his Champions League bow for the club in a 1-0 defeat at Bayer Leverkusen in February 2015
- During most of his first season at Atletico he was used as a left-back by manager Diego Simeone
- He made another 16 appearances for Los Rojiblancos last season as they reached the Champions League final
- Gamez did not feature and was not on the subs bench in their penalty shoot-out defeat to Real Madrid in the final in the San Siro, Milan
- On8th July of 2016 Gamez signed on at Newcastle United and was successful in helping the famous Tyneside club to get promotion from the Championship with a massive 112 points in the following season – a record number of points.
- In the first season back to the Premier League in 2017-2018 Jesus helped Newcastle to second place and qualification for the Champions League for the first time since 2003.
- In 2018 Rafa Benitez was named Manager of the Year
Only three of those above points are not true – or to be more exact – not yet true.
Any idea which ones?