web analytics

More Criticism For Newcastle

50 year-old Sky Sports pundit and former West Brom, Sunderland and Wolves striker Don Goodman had a good article out yesterday, when he looked at various clubs near the top of the Premier League and how they are faring.

He covered Brighton, Aston Villa, Norwich, Huddersfield and …. Newcastle.

Huddersfield have followed Norwich on a bad run of form and they have just one win and five defeats in their last eight games.

Sky Sports pundit Don Goodman

Before beating Brentford 5-0 at home last Saturday Norwich had gone seven games with five defeats and two draws.

🙁

And we know that Newcastle have lost three games in a row after going on a nine game winning streak.

Let’s hope that streak doesn’t get any worse on Saturday.

Don is looking at the games coming up over the next 10 days when we play Birmingham at home and Wigan and Burton on the road.

This is what the pundit had to say about Newcastle:

“Will Newcastle stumble further?”

After facing Birmingham at home they go to Wigan on #10in10, a team who are capable of springing up a surprise in this division.”

“It’s obvious Rafa Benitez’s side are the strongest in the Championship, but that counts for nothing if you go on a wretched run that is difficult to dig yourself out of.”

“It’s more about morale and character in those situations than skill, particularly in this league.”

The hashtag #10in10 refers to 10 televised Football League fixtures from Sky Sports over 10 consecutive days, starting tomorrow night with the game between Brighton and Leeds United – that should be some game.

Don’s right that this is all about character more than anything else, so three wins in the next three games can see us in a very good position before Christmas.

Next up after those next three games is a tough game at home on Boxing Day against Sheffield Wednesday.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Birmingham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• sing in the corner

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Nah, wish I was but got other commitments.
    Got to get my son properly infected with the bug by going to every home game first.
    After all, why should he get away with it?

• sing in the corner

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:16 PM

6800-odd tickets sold though..?
    It will be amazing!

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Is thst how many have sold so far or what they’ve given us.

• Jack Root

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Mate
    Simply because the blog used to represent football quality and has been in marked decline for sometime.
    It’s a question of maintaining standards and often I don’t read other than Ed H’s input.
    Sad decline started with the passing of Beattie and his like I would prefer to see the back of tuff than many others because of his input.Just my opinion.

• sing in the corner

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:20 PM

I read somewhere that was the allocation, not sure if sold out.

• Jack Root

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Sing
    The Toon army away largely tend to stand and it adds to the interaction and singing.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:28 PM

sitc,
    I bought a ticket for someone yesterday so theyre still available.

• AncientC

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:29 PM

It would appear that Mike Ashley hasn’t changed his ways after all. Not a good sign of things to come on the footballing side.

Is it any wonder SD is crashing, with the chairman living in denial, and making statements, such as:

Chairman (of SD) Keith Hellawell, who faces another shareholder rebellion, said that the “extreme political, union and media campaign waged against this company has not only damaged its reputation and influenced our customers, it has impacted negatively on the morale of our people.” “I begin to question whether this intense scrutiny is all ethically motivated.”

SD questioning the ethics of journalism, for exposing a Public Limited Company paying it’s staff less than the minimum wage. Unreal.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Jack Root etc,
    But you just happened to read Tuffs outburst, what a coincidence.

• sing in the corner

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Jack
    Yeah definitely makes a difference, as does everyone in different company every away game. I have been able to get to very few away games for a while now, must try harder!

• Mister Tuff

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Jack Root/Ian.
    More twisted accounts of what I did say – invented.
    I made a generalisation (Note generalistion) that it was hard to debate issues when people clearly do not know the laws of the game.
    Not me saying I know it all -but there has been clear statements on here by folk who clearly have posted erroneous understandings of the laws of the game.( most obvious for example being off the ball incidents cannot be a penalty).
    And regrettably did say that such folk were clots and divvies and knobbers (more regrettably) not once did I mention individuals.
    How this is then translated into me abusing Jib, Belfast and Bobbybee I do not know.

How you getting along with you list??

(Post submitted in response to a post – and not instigated by me)

• martoon

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:34 PM

sing in the corner @29 – You’re right the atmosphere was better but I don’t miss the old SJP. You used to have to get to the ground about 2 hours early, spend the first half hour queuing at the turnstile, then you had to choose a good spot to stand in, when we scored you got crushed and if you dared to go to the toilet it was like an open sewer.

• sing in the corner

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Martoon
    Ha ha yeah that just about sums it up! It was me with tongue in cheek there mainly.
    The crowd in those days were mostly, err shall we say from a different demographic… Very little corporate stuff, no phones or other distractions. There was no saturation coverage of live football like there is now, and I remember having an agonised wait of endless days til the next game.
    People were bang up for it for a multitude of reasons. I would suggest (looking around at how kids / young lads in the ground take in their football now) it isn’t as close to life and death to most young fans as I remember it felt to us at the time..
    just my thoughts on why it’s not as immersive..

• G

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:53 PM

@52, I have less than fond memories of the worry that the person stood behind me may well decide to p**s on me, than venture to the open sewer.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:54 PM

The atmosphere can only improve under Rafa and there’s a huge improvement from the morgue that Ashley and Pardew helped create.

• Rotonda heights