web analytics

The Fairy Tale Continues – Rafa Keen To Keep This Player

Two players who are first choice at Newcastle this season – Yoan Gouffran and Vurnon Anita – two players who work their socks off for the team – have contracts which run out next June.

We had thought that Vurnon would get a new deal but not Yoan – but it looks like we wrong on that one – what – again?

🙂

Rafa was interviewed in the local press over the weekend and was asked specifically about the two stalwarts  and he said the club had already started to talk with their agents and that it was only a matter of time.

Yoan Gouffran – to get new deal at Newcastle

That’s really good news that Newcastle want to sign these two up who have simply thrived since Rafa came on board in March and Yoan in particular has been a player reborn at Newcastle.

This is what Rafa said when asked about the two players as reported in the Shields Gazette:

“The club is talking with the agents, and now it’s a question of time.”

“I know what we need, but it’s too early.” “We have to concentrate on the games and keep working in the same way to see if we can get the targets I have.”

“You have to wait.”  “I am really pleased with the squad.”

“But we know we have players who are at the African Cup of Nations and others who are out of contract.”

“So we have to try and balance the team as much as we can just in case.”

Gouffran and Anita can officially talk to other clubs in January and it doesn’t necessarily mean the players will stay on at Newcastle – it will depend on the contracts they are offered.

But they both seem to have bought completely into Rafa’s ways at Newcastle and they have to think we could be going places in the next year or two.

They are enjoying their football at the club so that has to be another big factor in Newcastle’s favor.

We’d like to see both players get good offers because they have both been instrumental to the success of Newcastle this season and of course Yoan scored his 5th goal of the season against Birmingham on Saturday.

Rafa has transformed Vurnon into a terrific right-back who could well get his place back on the Dutch side.

And it’s nothing short of a fairy tale for the Frenchman who joined us four years ago from Bordeaux – but he deserves a new deal because he really has been great for Newcastle this season.

What do you think?

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:37 PM

I think my Dwight Gayle, there’s only one Dwight Gayle is possibly the easiest option and one simple enough for everyone to pick up on instantly. Worth a try anyway.
    So, jail, your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to get the corner singing that song. 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Gayle. Ale? Seem to recall a Newcaslte Brown Ale song that could be plagiarised…at least it’s Newcastle specific.

Come on you locals.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Get to see how Sammy is doing on sky tonight, if he’s playing. Heard some decent reports from the manager, who says he’s unplayable at this level when he turns it on. Fair to say that he’s unplayable at any level when he turns it on, he just didn’t turn it on for us enough. Be nice to see how he’s getting on though.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:49 PM

WW……. It’s good that you have your own opinion and even though it may well differ from Rafa’s you have the right to voice it. He’s not beyond reproach and differing opinions are healthy.

I think Anita is technically good enough to play in the PL and Gouffran gives his all every game but lacks the finesse and creative ability of a top left winger. Maybe Rafa just wants Gouff as back up and to see out games when we’re leading. It’ll be interesting to see what happens but as you say we have to be careful with squad numbers as I’m sure Rafa is aware.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Betty, be prepared for Rafa to show a ruthless streak when summer comes around. He’ll sell players that might surprise us a lot, but he’s not one to care about feelings. He’ll do whatever he thinks is right for NUFC and sod the consequences of what we think. And rightly so.

• WWSBRD

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:59 PM

betty
    Haha I think its fair to say am more than happy to share my opinion. I may be wrong with Gouffran and Anita going on to lead us to the CL but I highly doubt it. And though I fully trust Rafa (more so than any other manager for a long time) he wont get everything right (giving Sels the number 1 shirt so early for example)

I think Anita is good as a RB (back up in the PL) but useless as CM or LB or RW or anywhere else tbh though he does follow instructions well. Gouffran will give 100% when things are going well but once u hit a tough patch he is prone to dropping off a cliff….Jonas he is not. Id prefer a better option to that personally especially when we will have to lose player to bring in new ones

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Bobby,
    Ha ha, who said it’s your fault and I never asked you personally about the ear cupping thing he does. I asked you your opinion on Saturday, as a regular match goer why you think the fans haven’t taken to Gayle as much as they imo we should. There’s only one Dwight Gayle is pretty pants.

• WWSBRD

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Bobby
    It could go either way apparently Rafa wants to keep as many as possible in order to save money for bigger priorities next year and then build from there

• sing in the corner

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:11 PM

mister tuff @35
    Ha ha he’d pick up radio transmissions from Moscow with those beauties!

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:16 PM

WW…,
    Despite being a fan of Gouffran I’l be surprised and a little bit disappinted if he is still here next season, I was hoping for a massive upgrade, maybe there will be but I can’t see him and Atsu being kept as back upstogether

• Lindisfarne

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:22 PM

I’m dweaming of a Dwight Christmas
    Just like the ones I used to know
    Where the score board glistens and children listen
    To hear Rafa run the show.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Pants?! My wonderful ditty pants?! Well, maybe a bit, but I was just fishing for ideas really. It goes with the tune of ‘one song, you’ve only got one song’ but maybe something better would suffice.
    Got another, but it’s not about Gayle. It goes “U N I, T E D, we’re the famous Toon Army, the Geordie boys are living the dream, coz we support our local team” Shove that up your jacksie Manure. 🙂

• bettyswallocks

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:24 PM

Bobby…… I have total confidence in Rafa’s judgement but he should take on board the point that WWSBRD is making.

• WWSBRD

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:25 PM

Jail
    Yeah its odd one of the two Id have Atsu but maybe they would back up to Ritchie and a new LW with Aarons getting the boot out on loan or sold

Rafa wants atleast 2 players in each position so that would fit but I cant square away Gouffran staying personally

• Mister Tuff

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:26 PM

sing – must say it was quite a funny pic.

• cyprus

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Moon
    Gayle arrogant? He doesn’t seem that. Confident OK.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:27 PM

we could nick the Man city chant song saying
    Feed the Goat – Sean Goater
    to
    Feed the Gayle.

Difference between Gayle and Mitrovich…
    How I see why fans pump up the noise for Mitrovich is a lot to do with his Inter-action with the fans and his inconsistency – you don’t know what you are going to get-
    ie Blackburn rovers where he looked like he could not be bothered
    Preston game when he was fired up from the first minute when he got on the ball and charged forward.

Gayle is unassuming – just quietly goes about his job of sticking the ball in the net.

Me I would start with Gayle as he is a proven goal scorer
    At the same time I think Mitro is a raw talent and pointed in the right direction could become a great asset

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Anyway, time for a quick shower and get ready for the Bolton game. Later chaps.

• WWSBRD

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:34 PM

betty
    Haha if only I could let Rafa know what I am thinking about his plans damnit haha Ive little doubt that if I spoke to him about it by the end of the conversation Id be arguing he was right all a long and I should go back to my corner and keep quiet

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Bobby,
    Could we not pinch the Andy Cole song.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Just bought a ticket for the SJP Lego model.

• Lindisfarne

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Ibizatoon

If you want a Striker that’s perfection indeed, –
    I’ll give you a guide to fulfilling your need
    At home or away, the league or the cup
    He plays for Newcastle, a toon on the up.
    He’s a strong’un, he’s a fast’un, – he’s the top scoring male –
    The scoring sensation is Newcastles Dwight Gayle –
    Newcastles Dwight Gayle!

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Lindisfarne,
    I hope you never made that up.

• WWSBRD

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:50 PM

On the Gayle song we could just recycle the Colo song, its a good one tbf

• sing in the corner

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Watching Moyes on Look North talking after the 3.0 defeat to Swansea.. 🙂
    David Moyes has took over Steve McClaren’s inane grin.
    What’s he doing grinning at losing three nowt to fellow relegation candidates??
    Loving it. Who’s laughing now SAFC?

• Ibizatoon

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:57 PM

Lindisfarne…Exactly the song I was thinking of!

Nice work.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:16 PM

‘Wor Dwight is blowing a Gayle, Wor Dwight is blowing a Gayle.

He’s banging them in so lets aahl sing Dwight, Dwight Gayle.’

• cyprus

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:17 PM

There’s a Dwight Gayle sing here somewhere:

All Right Now” or wor Dwight Gayle

Whoa-oh-oh-oh-woha
    There she stood in the street
    Smilin’ from her head to her feet;

I said, “Hey, what is this?
    Now maybe, baby,
    Maybe she’s in need of a kiss.”

I said, “Hey, what’s your name?
    Maybe we can see things the same.

“Now don’t you wait, or hesitate.
    Let’s move before they raise the parking rate.”

All right now, baby, it’s a-all right now.
    All right now, baby, it’s a-all right now.

(Let me tell you now)
    I took her home to my place,
    Watchin’ every move on her face;

She said, “Look, what’s your game?
    Are you tryin’ to put me to shame?”

I said “Slow, don’t go so fast, don’t you think that love can last?”

She said, “Love, Lord above,
    Now you’re tryin’ to trick me in love.”

All right now, baby, it’s a-all right now.
    All right now, baby, it’s a-all right now

• bettyswallocks

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Lindisfarne…….. We just need a group of Cushy Butterfields all lined up to sing it and it would definitely catch on.

• BandB

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:47 PM

With due credit to Lindisfarne for the inspiration, but easier to remember and more in the style of Geordie Ridley, to the same tune, Cushie Butterfield.

And just the chorus will do.

“We were brokken-hearted Geordies
    And we felt let doon.
    And we needed a hero to play for the Toon.
    To set the lads a-cheering and to not let us fail.
    We asked the manager to gan and get one
    And he signed us Dwight Gayle.

He’s a big lad, he’s a bonny lad
    And he likes his ale.
    He’s the greatest goalscorer,
    And the caa’ll him Dwight Gayle.

• toontaff2

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:02 PM

BLOG’s New Gayle Song:

tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckQXegJZJuI

• toontaff2

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:03 PM

• toontaff2

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Setting the bar very low – it did make be laugh, though!!

• Ibizatoon

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:06 PM

taff…Glad you were only joking!

BandB…Like that one also.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:08 PM

Toontaff….. Hahahaha.

• BandB

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Ibizatoon

Needs someone with a big bass drum to hit the offbeat…

It’s a hit. I feel it in me water.

• BandB

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Though not as good as my Blaydon Races skit…

• Ibizatoon

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:12 PM

BandB…It’s all about that offbeat.

Hope you and your water are well.

• BandB

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:14 PM

We’ve both been better…

• toontaff2

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:15 PM

The bloke next to me was singing one Saturday ,very loudly, very badly and very fast but someone posted a link to it on here, earlier