web analytics

Report – Newcastle Make Club Record £35M Bid To Sign Bas Dost

There’s news coming out of Portugal today that Newcastle United have made a club record £35M bid for Sporting Lisbon striker Bas Dost, who has been a long term target for Newcastle.

The 28-year-old striker has been in terrific goalscoring form in his first season at Sporting and scored a whopping 36 goals in 41 appearances in all competitions for the Lisbon club.

The report is in the Jornal de Notícias and the bid was lodged a few days ago, according to the report.

28 year-old Sporting Lisbon striker Bas Dost

£35M is more than double the £17M club record fee we paid to Real Madrid for Michael Owen back in August of 2005.

Dost could be great in the Premier League and his 6ft 5ins frame makes him a great header of the ball but he’s good with his feet too and a physical player.

So Bas Dost could offer Newcastle an attacking threat from free kicks and corners and he could score the goals, but he could also knock the ball down to other strikers who can put the ball in the net like Dwight Gayle.

Bas Dost was a striker target of Newcastle a couple of years ago when he was still at Wolfsburg and the news at that time is that we bid £9M for him but for whatever reason he did not join Newcastle.

While at Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga for four seasons from 2012 and he scored 48 goals in 117 games so he can certainly score the goals.

In his career so far the 28 year-old has scored a whopping 161 goals in a total of 321 first team matches.

Last year he joined Sporting Lisbon for just €10M (£8.7M) and the Portuguese club then put a huge buyout clause of €60M into his contract – which we assume nobody will be willing to pay.

But if this news is accurate it shows Newcastle are indeed willing to pay out big bucks for good players and may even explain why we didn’t want to pay the full £8.7M up front for recent signing Florian Lejeune from Eibar.

What do you think?

Comments wleocme.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:18 AM

Jazzy
    I’m in the corner mate where the noise starts lol

• jazzyp

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:18 AM

Spoof

Are you a regular at the games mate.
    Where you sit??

• Spoof

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:22 AM

Rotonda

I didn’t say it was a problem, on the contrary, I suggested getting rid of the one who would generate the highest selling price so we could utilize the cash elsewhere in the squad, but at the same time plans b and c could be needed so I would keep Murphy.

• martoon

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:25 AM

ShirebrookToon – I don’t know if you’ve realised but your first year DD’s are higher because the payment year runs to March. Therefore because your first payment is not till July you have only 9 (8 if you don’t make July in time) payment months. Next April it goes down because it splits into the whole 12 months.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Does that mean everyone’s gonna move from strawberry corner now!

• jazzyp

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Everton have made a bid for Benfica forward Raul Jimenez, believed to be around €45million (£39.6million), but the Portuguese club will only accept a fee of €50million (£44million), according to reports in Portugal.

The Mexican has spoken openly about his desire to play in the Premier League.
    What the hell has happened to Everton. I bet there fans are loving it

• switch365

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Chinese investment/sale has gone quiet, shame as it could have generated funds for the kind of players we’re going to need to have anything more than a mediocre season.
    Also what do you guys make of the sleeve sponsor malarkey? I would have understood the bottom of the shirts, but sleeves, they’re gonna be tiny!

• Spoof

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:33 AM

jazzyp

I was a ST holder since the early 90’s, KK forced me to get one, before then you could pay on the day but he changed that, got rid 3 seasons ago, the reason I got rid was Ashley, just disillusioned, still am to be honest, he hasn’t changed, January proved that, not getting Townsend and McCarthy was for me typical Ashley, “I’ll take the gamble and hope we go up anyway” we did so he won, but now we will suffer once again, and I have had enough, I still want us to do well, but I will not back them financially until he has gone, once he has gone, I will get my ticket back, but not before.

• martoon

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:36 AM

switch365 – You would think the idea of a sleeve sponsor is so that all the people wearing replica shirts become a walking advert. If it is still to be announced surely they miss out on a lot of shirts which are being sold now!

• jazzyp

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Spoof

Fair play mate. I know a lot have gone from around me over the last 3 year with the same thoughts of Ashley.
    For me I think the resentment and anger in the stands has been felt by the players on the pitch.The Atmosphere at games over the last 3-4 years at times has been pretty toxic

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Martoon…thank you for great welcome back yesterday…it’s much appreciated. I cannot remember if we didn’t agree alot but I’ll take your word for it 😉

About me not being on much the last year – I think I posted twice – and what I thought about the season? Well thank god for the internet and social media. I didn’t watch much of our games seeing as it was more or less impossible to find a stream if at all the was a stream.

But the change of atmosphere and mood was just incredible…it wasn’t amazing football and we weren’t promoted because of how we played football, but because Rafa had constructed a team to push for promotion.

I am hoping he’ll take the same approach this season, but buying Lejeune and being linked with the likes of Grosicki has me a little bit worried…not sure what the goal is this season. Still the transfer window is open 2 more months so I’ll wait and see what happens.

• jazzyp

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Manuel Quilon claims his client, Pepe Reina has received no offers from any club, despite several media outlets linking him with #NUFC.

• Slank

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:55 AM

To quote:

‘…him a great header of the ball but he’s good with his feet too and a physical player.. could offer Newcastle an attacking threat from free kicks and corners and he could score the goals, but he could also knock the ball down to other strikers who can put the ball in the net like Dwight Gayle..’

Isn’t this what was said about Mitrovich ?

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:56 AM

I see someone trying to be positive in The Mag. He got some decent responses as well, but Leazes Bell Ender had to have his usual dig. This time he chose our very own Dr Ed to target.
    We’ve got some whoppers on here alright, but bell ender truly takes the biscuit. Along with his Mickey Mouse counterpart – or spare part – you choose.
    If the bell ender truly ever stood in the Leazes is open to question. He would surely have known we’ve never had a good owner. SJH came closest, by truly transforming the club, but the rest took more out than they put in.
    Let’s hope Ashley does sell up. The sooner the better. Will we get a nice sugar daddy? Don’t hold your breath. They all want something from us and that’s just life. Would be nice to find a Roman Abramovich willing to back us to the tune of a billion smacks, but we’ll no doubt get what we always get – someone out to make a buck off us.

• Spoof

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:58 AM

jazzyp

For people of my age group it’s difficult, I’m now 51, I was brought up watching shyte but then came Sir John Hall and KK, it was fantastic, you could almost taste the trophies as we were that close, now before them failure was a normality so we just accepted it, you don’t miss what you’ve never had, but all that changed with KK and to now be what we are is heart breaking, awful awful man who is a cancer to our great club.

• Spoof

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:01 AM

Slank

Hardly, seeing as we signed Mitrovic twelve months before we signed Gayle, unless of course they had a premonition that Gayle would join at a later date.

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:01 AM

Arsenal buying Lacazette for a cool 54m. A show of intent from Arsene as he tries to go out on a high.

• jazzyp

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:05 AM

Spoof

Haha I’m 46 mate so I feel ya pain

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:05 AM

Martoon,
    I didn’t realise that about DD. Thanks for the heads up 🙂

• Nufc-83

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM

I still believe we will bring 5 or 6 more players in who will be in the first team. Priority for me is Cam, LW, ST, CM, LB.

Will not be happy with us starting with Dummet as LB and Lazaar must be utterly useless if he couldn’t displace dummet who is a league 1 player at best. Hadairra looks athletic but his touch is terrible so don’t see him making it at our club either. Need a LB who offers something going forward as well as being defensively sound.

• martoon

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Jesper @51 – I don’t think anybody at NUFC would ever admit it but I would think aim for this season is to survive comfortably i.e. mid-table well clear of relegation. However with Rafa I’m sure we’ll have a good try at the cups and maybe have a decent run in one of them. Not very exciting but realistic and then we can push on with some Premiership money behind us.

• Spoof

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:08 AM

Bobbybee

£54m for a player who gets kept out of the French team buy Giroud seems a bit puzzling to me, I seriously do believe that Arsenal have been well and truly stung with this one.

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:11 AM

More shit to read about players we have know chance of signing as Ashley will not pay the going price but where going to be left behind at this rate, Huddersfield have signed four player a striker there last.

• lesh

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:15 AM

Off thread and referring to the supposed investor interest in NUFC and Ashley’s willingness to manage the Club on their behalf, I must say if I were a potential investor and having read about Ashley’s management style and his love of fine dining and wines, I wouldn’t go anywhere near such a proposition. Would anyone in their right mind invest millions with a man who’s a disgrace to the Club?

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:16 AM

We’ve spent more time in the PL than we did in the first division before KK. Whereas we’re now a top table club who’s slipped up twice for the odd season, we used to be a second division club that occasionally popped into the top league.
    They were truly grim times to be a Newcastle fan. Crowds of ten thousand, even less on occasion and in danger of slipping into the third tier. That’s how I remember it.
    We’ve never won nowt, so no idea why this entitlement comes from. Would we even know how to take care of a trophy if we ever won one? 🙂
    The good thing though is this: like him or not, whoever buys the club from Ashley will be getting a club in good financial repair. They’ll have little excuse for not pushing on. All we need now is someone with the financial clout to take us on.
    The Chinese govt are clamping down on investing in football overseas, so maybe we’ve missed that boat. I certainly don’t know anybody with 400m to spend, neither I imagine do you. Demanding he sell is fine and dandy, but finding a buyer? Good luck with that.

• martoon

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:16 AM

ShirebrookToon @59 – No problem – it’s not really made very clear and it is a bit of a shock when the first DD goes out and is more than you expected!

• Our Toon

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:17 AM

It’s down to a managers preference that’s why Giroud starts ahead of lacazette for France, he starts ahead of Mbappe as well does that mean Giroud is better than both?

Deschamps likes sissoko does that mean he’s a good player as he gets into the side ahead of many others that are simply better?

Giroud starts as he’s a better foil for Griezeman, lacazette is some player though and it’ll become apparent when he bangs them in this season

• hibbit

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:19 AM

From the Chronicle

Reading ready to lodge £5million bid for Newcastle United goalkeeper Karl Darlow

• Our Toon

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:19 AM

Anyone know anything about the Montpellier forward that Huddersfield have bought? They’ve broken there own transfer fee again.

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:21 AM

Don’t like the idea of investors either. Investors want returns. They don’t invest for a buzz, they do it to make money.

• toontaff2

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM

Yes, Runaway, but who have ‘Udders bought? That Mounie chap scored less than Thauvin, last season!

• Spoof

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Bobbybee

As I said, you don’t miss what you’ve never had, but going back to what we were in the 70’s and 80’s cannot be accepted.

Who mentioned any entitlement, I certainly didn’t, all I ask for is for the club to do what SJH and KK did, which was to do their up most in trying to bring success

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:31 AM

Not many trophies to win though Spoof and they tend to go to the clubs that spend a fortune. I’m sure fans of every club feel the same as us mate, everyone wants to win stuff.

• Jib - Jazzy's mardy bitch

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:34 AM

Newcastle HAVE lodged a bid of 2/3 of Bas Dost’ Sporting Lisbon buyout clause – that is €40 million.
    (Actually £35.1m)
    The Portuguese are huffing and puffing but will crumble because that is a hell of an increase in one season on the €10 million they paid Wolfsburg.

• Ron Knee

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:35 AM

So is the new contract for Dummett just a press report?

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:36 AM

SHJ and KK were a different era. There was nowhere near the level of money around then, even Blackburn bought the league. That won’t happen again. It’s gone. We came close and it was a great ride whilst it lasted but hoping for that again is a pipe dream. There’s too much money about.
    Overnight success is a thing of the past. Even Manure are struggling, what chance us?
    How many fans of Brighton and Huddersfield will be expecting a top eight finish? None. They’ll be happy with survival. There’s the difference.

• Our Toon

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:37 AM

Bobby

Everton have an investor on board Farhad Moshiri, he bought 49.9% of the club and they are currently spending his cash on new recruits. No strings attached

• Spoof

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Bobbybee

You say we’ve never won nowt, but never winning in the past should never be used as an excuse for not trying to win now.

You also say that if we do get a buyer they would be buying a club in good financial repair, how do you make that conclusion, he bought the club for £80m and he is demanding £400m so he can get his loses back and that is good financial repair.

• magspuggy

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:42 AM

@ g2 lee charnley is on about 150k a year
    It was just over 100 but he got a pay rise
    Around the time he brought the players wage bill down.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:42 AM

Bas Dost, I really hope that that’s DT type news.

I’d rather we kept Murphy or sign that Koukaboro bloke, cheaper and looks more what we need.