web analytics

Report – Newcastle Make Club Record £35M Bid To Sign Bas Dost

There’s news coming out of Portugal today that Newcastle United have made a club record £35M bid for Sporting Lisbon striker Bas Dost, who has been a long term target for Newcastle.

The 28-year-old striker has been in terrific goalscoring form in his first season at Sporting and scored a whopping 36 goals in 41 appearances in all competitions for the Lisbon club.

The report is in the Jornal de Notícias and the bid was lodged a few days ago, according to the report.

28 year-old Sporting Lisbon striker Bas Dost

£35M is more than double the £17M club record fee we paid to Real Madrid for Michael Owen back in August of 2005.

Dost could be great in the Premier League and his 6ft 5ins frame makes him a great header of the ball but he’s good with his feet too and a physical player.

So Bas Dost could offer Newcastle an attacking threat from free kicks and corners and he could score the goals, but he could also knock the ball down to other strikers who can put the ball in the net like Dwight Gayle.

Bas Dost was a striker target of Newcastle a couple of years ago when he was still at Wolfsburg and the news at that time is that we bid £9M for him but for whatever reason he did not join Newcastle.

While at Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga for four seasons from 2012 and he scored 48 goals in 117 games so he can certainly score the goals.

In his career so far the 28 year-old has scored a whopping 161 goals in a total of 321 first team matches.

Last year he joined Sporting Lisbon for just €10M (£8.7M) and the Portuguese club then put a huge buyout clause of €60M into his contract – which we assume nobody will be willing to pay.

But if this news is accurate it shows Newcastle are indeed willing to pay out big bucks for good players and may even explain why we didn’t want to pay the full £8.7M up front for recent signing Florian Lejeune from Eibar.

What do you think?

Comments wleocme.

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:42 AM

SJH and KK loved Newcastle as well. Ashley doesn’t. SJH was willing to gamble a large part of his fortune to see success at his beloved club. To repeat that we need another Newcastle fan with bottomless pockets. The queue is pretty small.
    The alternative is to get a world class manager and try to slowly move up the pecking order. It’s going to take time, which in fairness is my point in a nutshell. Instant success would be a monumental fluke along the lines of Leicester. A perfect storm where bigger clubs were in transition and Leicester came storming through.
    What I’m driving at is the need for patience. We’ve just come up from the Championship. Let’s keep it real.

• toontaff2

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:46 AM

Mounie has scored 26 goals in 74 games in France – underwhelming- A Carr type?

• toontaff2

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:47 AM

Prefer Mitro to Mounie.

• Spoof

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:50 AM

Bobbybee

I don’t expect us to win the league, I don’t expect us to win a cup either, but I do expect us to try, Bobby you really do surprise me with your acceptance that we should fail without trying to succeed, I really don’t get that, but we’re all different, I’ll just have to accept the fact that some are easier pleased than me.

• toontaff2

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:55 AM

Could Penfold have a large Chinese wedge in his pocket? 😮
    Not likely we would tell anyone during the window.

• ToonRich

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:56 AM

A reported £15.8m for Ruben Neves and Palace been quoted €30m (£26m) for Carvalho…surely we can muster up the monies for these type of players? 🙁

• Spoof

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:57 AM

Bobbybee

Building slowly, yes that would do me, but it won’t happen, as soon as we have two or three building blocks he will cash them in, he always has, Milner with KK, then Carroll and Cabaye with Pardew, who next with Rafa, and then Rafa will go, Mikey will have cut his looses a touch and then we will start all over again.

• magspuggy

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:00 PM

Are we really trying to buy bas dost ?

Im all for getting a goalscorer but his value has gone up that much in a year i cant see us paying that.

However if theres any truth in the failed bids it hints to rafa having money to spend.

Should be other options available with that amount to splash oot.

• Jib - Jazzy's mardy bitch

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:05 PM

Spoof
    Stop spouting crap man
    Carroll would have been sold by any club for the money L’pool were offering
    Cabaye bitched and twittered on formonths for his dream (nightmare) move to PSG

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:09 PM

SPOOF @ 84

Sounds about right. A failure expecting failure…lol.

• toontaff2

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:10 PM

Didn’t Cabaye go on strike???

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:11 PM

Spoof, leave it out. Acceptance? It’s not acceptance, it’s realism. How many other clubs have taken the PL by storm having just got promoted? So please, tell me, WHY should we be different? What gives us a right to expect anything? 52k crowds means NOTHING financially. One player a year at best.
    What I don’t get is the constant whine about having the worst owner ever in the history of football, combined with this feeling we should do well. How does that work? How does having the worst owner fit in with winning anything?
    So, the reality is this. We have a piss poor owner, although maybe – maybe – he’s turned a corner; time will tell. Clubs with crap owners? Tell me which club with a crap owner has won anything recently? I’m struggling to think of one, so help me out.
    Am I happy? Have I said I am? Don’t remember that bit. Think you might have imagined that bit mate. Of course I’m not happy, but whining doesn’t help so I don’t whine. Do I want Ashley to sell up? Yes, yes and yes again.
    We’re not going to transform overnight mate. Expecting it is bizarre thinking. How does that happen in any world?
    Until Ashley sells up, we’re stuck with him, that I accept as reality. So whilst he’s in charge we simply have to make do.
    We’ve got Rafa. That’s a start. This is his first run at the PL with us, so why not look in the bright side? Could it be worse? Hell yes, we could have Pardew.
    You’re not the only one who wants success. We all do. Sometimes in life you can’t have what you want and make do. This is one of those times. You can’t expect the worst owner ever in the history of football – apparently – to win trophies. Can you? If we win things, he can’t be that bad. But he is and we don’t.
    Right now I think this is as good as it’s going to get. We’ve got Rafa but stuck with Ashley. If Ashley goes and someone decent takes over, it becomes a different ball game mate, but right now? I’m just thankful we’ve got a fighting chance with Rafa.

• john tudor

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:14 PM

have you forgot bobby we did

• magspuggy

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Jib
    Are people only allowed to type their views
    On this blog if they agree with you ?

Or do they have to be born on the banks of the tyne and walk to the ground barefoot.

Us geordies are known across the world as friendly welcoming folk
    Why do you keep attacking people

Have a word with yasel kidda
    Or stick to google cut nd pastes
    Theres nee need for it mate

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Do one filth. Ignore me I’ll do likewise. Don’t want you running away crying again.

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:16 PM

Toontaff, yes he did mate. Cried like a baby to get away but some people make heroes out of tossers like him.

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:20 PM

Sorry JT, have I forgot what? Seriously, give us a clue matem

• john tudor

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:22 PM

we stormed the pl after promotion

• ToonRich

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:23 PM

On Wednesday, Portuguese newspaper A Bola claim that Benfica have rejected an offer from Everton for midfielder Andreas Samaris.

The 28-year-old Greek midfielder made 18 appearances for Benfica in the Portuguese top flight last season.

Everton’s offer for Samaris was reportedly 16 million euros, according to A Bola.

Well if we did want him we’re not going to get him up against the clout of Everton now!!

• Jib - Jazzy's mardy bitch

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:24 PM

magspuggy
    You want to learn the difference between an attack and putting somebody right on facts

• ToonRich

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:30 PM

I may have mssed it, but did anyone report this yesterday??

• john tudor

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:32 PM

jib you only have a 32% success rate on putting people right lol

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:33 PM

JT, don’t know if you meant that, but you’ve just backed up everything I’ve been saying. We did. We flew up there. Just remind me though, when was that? 1994? About the time Blackburn were buying the league, right? You do realise that was well over twenty years ago? That’s why I used the word ‘recently’. I am perfectly aware what happened over twenty years ago, has it happened since? Unless you’ve been in hiding since you might have noticed football is a completely different ball game now. The money involved is obscene. Over the last ten years, how many clubs have stormed the PL following promotion? Or, how many have gone straight back down might be a better question.
    Seriously, I’m at a loss as to why we should challenge this season? It promotes the deluded tag we get. Every single other club in the country would aim for survival. Why should we be different?

• john tudor

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:37 PM

it is the beginning of the end for football for me obscene amounts of money what does not exist

• magspuggy

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:38 PM

Jib
    You do it all the time man.
    Its a blog where 99% of things folk write are open to discuss

What you do is try and big yaself up by putting others doon
    Theres nee need for it.

It chases fans from the blog and thats not fair fella.

Putting people down because they arnt from here but support our club is wrong
    We should be making them feel at home here and proving that we geordies are the salt of the earth.

Your better than that fella

• john tudor

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:40 PM

did not leicester do it without the cash from relegation fodder to champions…… not promoted but from amongst the deadmen

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Nice to see everyone getting along for a change 😀

• dazzler

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:43 PM

Jib,

“Allardyce sold Milner after James had put a written transfer request.Ashley had only owned the club for a mattr of wks and was not involved in it.”

Milner was sold under the nose of Keegan, which resulted in Keegan quitting, Ashley losing in court after being found to be full of s***.

Putting people right with facts is one thing, but you are wrong. It had absolutely nowt to do with Allardyce he wasn’t even employed by the club, and Ashley had been here for a full year when it happened.

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:45 PM

In fact, apart from us in the early nineties, has any promoted team taken the PL by storm? No, save you the trouble of googling it. 🙂 Every other side, Huddersfield and Brighton aside, are in a better place than us.
    Bournemouth, very little overheads being so small a club, have more cash than us. That’s life i’m afraid. Crowd size no longer matters in this cash crazy league. It might buy us one decent player, but nothing more. It’s all about the Sky money now and we ain’t got it this season. Survival we’ll do comfortably imo. Top six? Seriously? We’d all LOVE to be there, but realistically? Under Ashley? Dream on.

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:45 PM

Toon rich – that’s fake 100%

• ToonRich

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:49 PM

Cheers OAS, still better reading that than the tosh on here this morning haha!!

• toontaff2

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:51 PM

‘After their Championship play-off final triumph Huddersfield Town will join Brighton & Hove Albion as debutants in the Premier League next season, so we looked at how previous clubs have fared in their first campaign in the competition.
    Excluding the inaugural 1992/93 Premier League season when 22 teams took part for the first time, 25 new teams have competed in the division after gaining promotion. Brighton and Huddersfield will take this tally to 27 in 2017/18.
    Fittingly, this season’s Championship winners Newcastle United were the first promoted side and the best performers in their debut campaign, with Andrew Cole, in the video below, scoring 34 goals as they claimed third place in 1993/94.
    They are one of 13 clubs to stay up in their first Premier League season, with the other 12 new teams getting relegated………..’

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:57 PM

JT, Leicester was a fluke, mate. But in answer to your question, then they had a minimum of 100m to start. Even the bottom club in the PL makes infinitely more money that Championship winners.
    By fluke I simply mean a one off. That’s why it was such a surprise. All the big teams were in the process of rebuilding and bingo! Leicester did the unthinkable. But it wasn’t normal. It was literally a one off – at least until it happens again! 🙂
    Nobody wants us to win something more than me. Plenty want it just as much, I know that. I missed the Fairs Cup so at 60 – on Saturday – I’ve travelled the country far and wide following mainly poor players hoping for the best. I’m desperate for us to win something before I snuff it, but it won’t be this season, unless we win a cup. I’ll happily take that with bells on it.
    I’m trying to keep it real. Looking at the, meltdowns from a season where we won the league – albeit the Championship – I dread to think what it’ll be like on here next season when chances are, we’ll lose more than we win. You need to be realistic about our chances. If you can’t be realistic, you might be in for a long hard season!

• Jib - Jazzy's mardy bitch

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:59 PM

magspuggy
    Its a blog where 99% of things folk write are open to discuss

Quite right

This time was the 1% where spoof was factually wrong – ie spouting crap

Tudor I think 32% is being quite generous ha ha
    😀

Dazzler I wondered if anyone would pick up on it
    I read it back and couldn’t be arsed to correct it
    I meant to say Chris Mort resigned June 2008 and Ashley liked to consider himself as just another fan until he appointed the tosser Llambias.
    Allardyce had agreed with Martin ONeill to flog Milner that’s why James put in a written transfer request in the end.
    I think the sale of Milner was way down KK’s list of gripes against Ashley

• Ron Knee

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:01 PM

“The signing of Lejeune has helped the situation at #NUFC but tensions remain, writes @CaulkinTheTimes https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/difficult-newcastle-owner-providing-benitez-with-reas

Unfortunately, there’s a paywall!

• john tudor

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:02 PM

i wont be in for a long hard season im not expecting nowt till the fat man goes .. he will be happy going down for the chute payments gambling on a swift return he does not fool me

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:06 PM

Cheers Toontaff, that pretty much sums it up. HALF the clubs winning the Championship have been relegated. Didn’t realise it was as many as that, but that only pushes the point further. We finished third, two decades ago plus. It’s a long time ago remember, times have changed. Money talks. Let’s get established back in the big league, then think about pushing on.
    Now hopefully, I’ll be proven wrong and we’ll win the league this season. 🙂 You’re right, that it ridiculous.

• martoon

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:09 PM

Like I said earlier – realistically this season I think we’ll be aiming for a comfortable mid- table position well clear of relegation and hopefully a good cup run. Hopefully though the football will be better to watch than last season which was a means to an ends.

• cyprus

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:09 PM

Bobbybee

I’m not sure I agree with your argument that it was much easier in the past, hence the kk era and Blackburn buying it…

Proof: Leicester won it! Yesterday.

There used to be a difference between a 3 million player and a 300k one. Now, any pl team can afford 10-15 million individuals and 20-30 million ones aren’t always much better than shrewd purchases at the former price.

Conclusion: we and others can compete. There’s a chasm, but, under certain circumstances (e.g. rough diamonds, super coaching) big things can happen.

For me (and I hope Rafa) average won’t do. That’s why the regime was slated in the first place. For trying to educate the fans, to quote AP.

What, now we’ve been educated?

• Mister Tuff

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:10 PM

Jib – see you getting your “facts” wrong again. Basic NUFC history and you don’t know it.

See you were also insulting Toon Mauritius earlier on – with you spiteful xenophobia and only two posters have spoken up about it. Well done those two. The rest who said nowt – shame on you.