web analytics

Report – Newcastle Make Club Record £35M Bid To Sign Bas Dost

There’s news coming out of Portugal today that Newcastle United have made a club record £35M bid for Sporting Lisbon striker Bas Dost, who has been a long term target for Newcastle.

The 28-year-old striker has been in terrific goalscoring form in his first season at Sporting and scored a whopping 36 goals in 41 appearances in all competitions for the Lisbon club.

The report is in the Jornal de Notícias and the bid was lodged a few days ago, according to the report.

28 year-old Sporting Lisbon striker Bas Dost

£35M is more than double the £17M club record fee we paid to Real Madrid for Michael Owen back in August of 2005.

Dost could be great in the Premier League and his 6ft 5ins frame makes him a great header of the ball but he’s good with his feet too and a physical player.

So Bas Dost could offer Newcastle an attacking threat from free kicks and corners and he could score the goals, but he could also knock the ball down to other strikers who can put the ball in the net like Dwight Gayle.

Bas Dost was a striker target of Newcastle a couple of years ago when he was still at Wolfsburg and the news at that time is that we bid £9M for him but for whatever reason he did not join Newcastle.

While at Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga for four seasons from 2012 and he scored 48 goals in 117 games so he can certainly score the goals.

In his career so far the 28 year-old has scored a whopping 161 goals in a total of 321 first team matches.

Last year he joined Sporting Lisbon for just €10M (£8.7M) and the Portuguese club then put a huge buyout clause of €60M into his contract – which we assume nobody will be willing to pay.

But if this news is accurate it shows Newcastle are indeed willing to pay out big bucks for good players and may even explain why we didn’t want to pay the full £8.7M up front for recent signing Florian Lejeune from Eibar.

What do you think?

Comments wleocme.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:11 PM

Toon Mauritius – keep posting mate all Toon supporters are and should be welcome on here.

• john tudor

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:12 PM

correction recalc 2%

• Ron Knee

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Hear, hear, MT!

• magspuggy

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:14 PM

So if spoof was the 1%
    Where does that leave this mornings attack on a toon fan because they dont live here or go to the games ?

Give it a rest fella
    Like i said your better than that and it makes geordies look bad

Anyhow back to football

• Mister Tuff

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:15 PM

Ed – when you get better you still have some swamp draining to finalise – still some xenophobes, racists and some uttterly filthy mouthed abusers to throw off the site. Nice reading for kids/youngsters – not.

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:16 PM

JT, so Ashley would rather take the parachute payments ahead of staying in the PL and getting big money every season? Sorry, I fail to see any logic in that at all.
    One thing we likely agree on is that we’re unlikely to win anything under Ashley. Which is why I find this entitlement attitude even harder to figure out. We all know he’s not the best owner, why expect to win anything under him? We’re in a period where we’re not really going anywhere. It’s been like that for a while. And until we find a buyer, I can’t see much changing. Unless Ashley intends to back Rafa all the way. We’ll know more next season, rather than this.

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:18 PM

Says the man who recently posted ‘F*** you’ . You really are an idiot. Everything you accuse others of you are the most guilty yourself, you’re just too stupid to realise it.

• Ron Knee

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:19 PM

This is the poster who applauded Mike ‘Vomit’ Ashley’s antics.

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:20 PM

Doesnt take much to stir up the blog hyperchondriac……lol

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:25 PM

Stay in Australia you goon. All you do is sit in the background sniping at people. Offer something to the blog or do one. The human Centipede gathering together again. Stuck to each other’s rear ends swallowing each other’s crap and constantly digging at fans who bother. The country didn’t lose much when you left did it?

• john tudor

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:26 PM

bobby the man is a gambler nuff said

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:27 PM

By the way thick pig, it’s hypo, not hyper. Der!!!!

• Our Toon

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:27 PM

Glad someone corrected jib as Milner was sold under Keegan’s nose.

As fans we have a big say in who we want as an owner, a club is nothing without fans. I respect those that attend games, good on you and I hope you are entertained. I can’t and won’t buy Mash holding products or attend any games until he’s gone, that’s been consistent since JFK 2nd stint at the club.

What I don’t like is a defeatist attitude of we are stuck with Ashley. He wants alot of money to sell the club but with a fraction of support he would drop that asking price. Without fans a club is worthless, I’m not advocating boycotting but I don’t get the attitude of nothing we can do. You have plenty of options, the difference is you choose not to exercise them options so hide behind nothing we can do…….it just ends up becoming a pointless cycle!!

We are a very good club, we can win something, especially with the right owner. We have a fantastic set of fans….maybe a little to good as we will follow them no matter what circus is in town. It amazes me that fans have no expectations to win anything, Leicester should have given clubs hope. Yes clubs were going through the motions but they managed to trump spurs who were and still are better than them in all facets.

I believe we can win a cup or a league soon, I have done for sometime, it’s pointless supporting something without having any ambition to reach a target or a goal. This season is all about staying up but next season we can try to kick on and win a cup.

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:29 PM

So you readily admit to being the vlog hyperchondriac then??????

Didnt you know? Newcastle United is a world wide name. No matter where i am, Gateshead or Melbourne, I am allowed my say and no blog geriatric with piles can tell me otherwise. …..lol

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:30 PM

Doesnt natter how I spell it, you know the meaning well……old man

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:34 PM

Goon……pig…….centipede…….wow…..Is that the best you can do, Bobby?

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:34 PM

JT, with you all the way mate, he needs to go if we’re ever going to challenge. He’s taking us nowhere. What I don’t get is everybody knows this, yet still expect us to challenge?
    For me, this is just a period of treading water. We desperately need a buyer, but until that happens we are what we are. Which in reality, is what we’ve always been! Just got to try and make the most of it unless somebody knows somebody with a few billion stashed away? No? Thought not.
    At least now we’ve got a good manager Ashley appears to trust, so we can expect better than recent years. Hopefully anyway.

• ToonRich

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:35 PM

?

• Our Toon

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:37 PM

We should welcome supporters from around the world, not belittle them. We have no entitlement over them. We are all proud Geordies doesn’t matter where you are from.

I for one welcome them all

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:37 PM

Getting back to football, for what it is worth, I think there will be more players departing both pernanently and on loan before we make any significant signings.

For example, if the Bas Dost story were true, I would expect to see equal or more speculation on Mitrovic leaving.

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:38 PM

Cheers Our Toon

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:42 PM

No Expat, but right now I’m discussing football with like minded people, not sitting hiding in the background like a total w@nker sniping from behind a bush. Don’t talk to me filth, I have nothing to say to you. Is that really so hard for you to comprehend that? Why do you tossers constantly come on here looking for a row? No life is the answer. It’s a football blog. I got sick of tying you divvies up in knots months ago. Last time you banded together you all ran away in tears swearing never to come back, but sadly…
    Go away. Unless you want to talk football – I know, out of your comfort zone, but hey.
    If all you can offer is sad little digs from the side, why bother? What have you offered so far? Insults. Not even good ones.
    I really have tried to make it clear, I wouldn’t pee on the likes of you if you were on fire,so why do you want to talk to me? Are you really that thick? Rhetorical question, we know the answer.
    We’re talking football pal. Keep your childish snipes to yourself eh?

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:44 PM

Our Toon

Unfortunately, I think a combination of world economics, high asking price and geographical positioning all rules against us currently being taken over.

• Our Toon

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:44 PM

You are welcome Expat. I find it somewhat funny that people have a dig at fans as they aren’t based here yet the blog they comment on is run by a fan in the states.

On Bas Dost, I can’t see us bidding that much for 4 players combined never mind 1 player

• masterp1983

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:45 PM

Would anyone take Remy back? I can’t imagine he would be too expensive and did a great job for us when he paid.. Just a thought.. even as backup..

• hibbit

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:46 PM

Our Toon
    a very interesting theory

without a boycott what course of action do you think the fans good take ?

my own choice would be to some sort of action against SD shops which would quickly of an economic effect on his main company and would stir up a reaction of the other shareholders and give him as much grief as he gives us and also would keep any disruption well away from st james

having said all that i think ashley will be gone very soon

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Filth as well.

Unfortunately for you, 2 things are very relevant here.

I left the name calling behind in primary school over 50 years ago.

You dont rule the roost on this blog, even though you portray yourself as the fountain of all knowledge. When you buggered off for a while, it was actually quite peaceful on here.

• Our Toon

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Expat

Yep I agree on the asking price mate, I think geographical location works in our favour though. In the hotbed for fanatic support and 1 club city. Ashley wants alot of money as he knows the support of 52k is worth alot more than the tv deal. All clubs get the tv money not all have the support of 52k plus in 1 city.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Senor Tuff…thank you for the welcome back…I actually returned because I thought the blog had turned to the better. Certain bloggers had disappeared and others seemed to have turned a page, but I always accepted that something will never change!

I admit I hanven’t been on much the last year so I might have missed a few new “amazing” bloggers 😉 but I am sure we’ll be acquainted soon.

How’s life these days?

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Oh no! I’m an old man now. Ha ha ha ha, we all get there if we’re lucky. And to people with a brain, maybe it does matter. As that doesn’t include you, carry on regardless.
    Oh no, what am I going to do – I’m an old man and that, apparently, is an insult now. 🙂 Seriously, I don’t need to say much do I? Ha ha, you do it to yourselves. Coming into a battle of wits totally unarmed – good move. 🙂

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Our Toon

Agreed. Before emigrating to Oz, I was a season ticket holder and whenever I get back home to blighty, I try to see a game or two.

Living 10,000 miles away doesnt make me any less of a supporter than my mate in Low Fell who has had a season ticket for over 40 years

• Our Toon

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:55 PM

Hibbit

Spot on, his brand for SD is his pride and joy, more importantly he has shareholders, for example a monthly disruption for them would impact on SD, shares of SD and the conflict of interest would have a enough of a negative impact for shareholders to ask Ashley to sort it out or sell up shares in either entity.

He’ll even drop his asking price to just get rid, he might sell players on and make money quick but nothing we can’t bounce back from with the right owner in place.

That’s just an example, like I say I don’t like a defeatist attitude of all we can do is wait for him to sell!! Whilst we wait he’ll happily crack on laughing

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:55 PM

BOBBY

Wasn t meant as an insult. It is true that you are over the age of 65, arent you?

• dok - the horrid colonial

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:56 PM

gmorning all,

jesper, welcome back and welcome home !! you’ve been missed!!

• Our Toon

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:57 PM

Bobby

You need to grow up mate, what’s with the childish rants and name calling. Relax, take a 5 minute recess and then come back, it’ll do you the world of good and won’t make you come across as childish.

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:59 PM

There aren’t many amazing bloggers Jesper so don’t get your hopes up. Apart from yours truly of course ha ha. Btw I did try and start a “Bring back Jesper” thing done months ago but it fell on blind eyes. Still all’s well, eh? 🙂

I see the rant volume has been turned up past “9” some of us are trying to get some shut eye keep it down will you!!!

• Our Toon

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:01 PM

Jesper

It’s been a while buddy, hope you are well

• NYMAG

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:02 PM

There is no chance we’d throw £35M at a player that we almost signed for £10M. Ashley’s ego won’t allow it. Plus he’s 28 so resale potential.