web analytics

Report – Newcastle Make Club Record £35M Bid To Sign Bas Dost

There’s news coming out of Portugal today that Newcastle United have made a club record £35M bid for Sporting Lisbon striker Bas Dost, who has been a long term target for Newcastle.

The 28-year-old striker has been in terrific goalscoring form in his first season at Sporting and scored a whopping 36 goals in 41 appearances in all competitions for the Lisbon club.

The report is in the Jornal de Notícias and the bid was lodged a few days ago, according to the report.

28 year-old Sporting Lisbon striker Bas Dost

£35M is more than double the £17M club record fee we paid to Real Madrid for Michael Owen back in August of 2005.

Dost could be great in the Premier League and his 6ft 5ins frame makes him a great header of the ball but he’s good with his feet too and a physical player.

So Bas Dost could offer Newcastle an attacking threat from free kicks and corners and he could score the goals, but he could also knock the ball down to other strikers who can put the ball in the net like Dwight Gayle.

Bas Dost was a striker target of Newcastle a couple of years ago when he was still at Wolfsburg and the news at that time is that we bid £9M for him but for whatever reason he did not join Newcastle.

While at Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga for four seasons from 2012 and he scored 48 goals in 117 games so he can certainly score the goals.

In his career so far the 28 year-old has scored a whopping 161 goals in a total of 321 first team matches.

Last year he joined Sporting Lisbon for just €10M (£8.7M) and the Portuguese club then put a huge buyout clause of €60M into his contract – which we assume nobody will be willing to pay.

But if this news is accurate it shows Newcastle are indeed willing to pay out big bucks for good players and may even explain why we didn’t want to pay the full £8.7M up front for recent signing Florian Lejeune from Eibar.

What do you think?

Comments wleocme.

• giimps

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:52 PM

Peeps head round door “is it secret…is it safe?”

• simon376

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:52 PM

Expat,
    As much as I like Darlow I would take that deal. A good experienced keeper in who can guide Woodman on and have him ready to take over. Would mean Woodman have to stay or only 1/2 season on loan, but sure would work in long run

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:53 PM

GLIMPS

Of course it is mate…..lol

• giimps

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:55 PM

201 comments on a supposed bid for a player, admittedly there were a couple of slightly off topic posts too………….meanwhile, if true, I would maybe loan out Darlow rather than sell, I think selling him now to get Reiner in might be a bad move, unless we put a huge resale clause in the deal too…..methinks there is more to come from the lad

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:55 PM

SIMON

I would rather sell Krul to be honest. I really think Darlow has potential.

Woodman is the future but believe it ir not, I think he would benefit from a full season on loan at either Sunderland or Middlesbrough

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:56 PM

giimps
    I’ve got you covered mate go go go. It’s clear 😀

• hibbit

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:57 PM

Expat
    Darlow or Reina
    no contest it would be Reina for me every time

• giimps

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:59 PM

Cheers lads (takes off tin hat and luminous flak jacket)

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:00 PM

How much did we pay for Darlow?

If there’s a deal to be made to get Reina then I’d be inclined to listen to offers for Darlow.

• simon376

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:01 PM

Expat I agree loan out woodman to a local club easier to keep an eye on him and kid doesn’t have to move away. And yes keeping Darlow and loaning him out may be best. Might end up with 2 potential international keepers on the books though know only 1 would really make it as only 1 playing all the time unless loaned out. Don’t want a repeat of the Hexham lag now at Southampton even though his name escapes me right now

• jazzyp

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:02 PM

Shirebrook

7million for Both Darlow and Lascelles.
    Pearce went F@cking ballistic

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:03 PM

SHIREBROOKE

From what I remember, we paid 7 million quid for Lascelles and Darlow with the latter costing 2 million of that.

• giimps

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:03 PM

We got him and lascelles for 7m from forest I think, probably around 3.5m each, they’re worth more than that now surely , I would hold onto him if at all possible, if needs be sell him in a season cos his value will double

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:04 PM

SIMON

Fraser Forster

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:05 PM

What the f@ck you’s lot been talking about for six pages well has anyone got some news or anything in the pipeline or just the normal shit go round.

• giimps

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:05 PM

Yeah Pearce nearly had kittens in one interview after the deal was done, we did loan them back for a season though which pushed the deal through

• giimps

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:07 PM

Runaway, probably best not to ask, and whatever you do wear a tin hat if you start reading from page 1

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:10 PM

Cheers lads. I can remember psycho going nuts over it just couldn’t remember the fees. I think keepers are the last on Rafas list unless one is moved out.

Will we see a LB next through the doors?

Willems and Carvalho would be nice!

• Our Toon

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:11 PM

Bobby

Hope you are feeling well mate, hopefully you’ll fully read what I stated earlier. At no point did I have a dig at you or anyone else for going to SJP, I had a dig at your defeatist attitude. Guess that sums you up perfectly, always on the defensive and assuming you have to justify a stance whilst launching a Joe Kinnear like abusive rant.

For someone who repeats how much you dislike Ashley you don’t half make some excuses for the bloke.

Anyway I hope you take your medication when you return later and are able to post sensible comments without name calling like a 5 year old kid.

I’m going to refer to you as Joe Kinnear from now though 😉

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:14 PM

Lets be honest you really have to stretch out the conversation with something on a Bad Dost article.

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:15 PM

OUR TOON

he he……nice one……but somehow I dont think he will be able to resist another tirade…..lol

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Ok…..thats me for the night.

You can come back in now, Booby B

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:23 PM

Odd that there seems to be a feeling we could get rid of Darlow even though he did well in his short PL stint, and had a good campaign in the championship with some good displays. I’d say keepers were absolutely the last purchase we should be looking at.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:25 PM

Soccersauce still at it I see.

Saying we have a firm interest in Batshuayi lol

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:31 PM

giimps cheers bro I not even going to try as half of it will be shit as its the same crap going round haven’t seem much of our Lord today must walking his dogs see toontaff2 been on giving a few updates.

• jezza442

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:32 PM

why is it that championship standard players and European players with no premium league experience are being sold for 10-20m but our players who won the championship are being touted about for 3 4 and 5 million surely some of our players like gayle,richie,mitro and even darlow must be worth 10-15 plus ,if pickford is worth 25-30m that must raise the price of all half decent keepers

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:42 PM

My view – I reckon we will sign about 1 player every week for next 4 or 5 weeks. After that I see us getting in 3 or 4 players on on loan mangala/fernando/Loftus-cheek/bony/ojo. I don’t think we will see the total overhaul rafa would want but somewhere between that and what we have done already. They won’t spend bigger than about 13 million on a player.
    I think we will miss out on key players with the 1 in 1 out approach. I hope the players settle quickly or our relatively good starting fixtures could be wasted and we will struggle big time this season.
    I doubt we will be sold this season.
    Just my humble opinion.

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:53 PM

Have to agree that costs and book balancing will still win out over out and out ambition. It will be a balancing act of keeping Benitez on song and having a squad that will desperately need to have it’s morale dragged up by its laces to keep in the middle of the table. I just hope that a lack of intent in the buying of players doesn’t wear the incumbents desire down as it has so devastatingly done in the past.

• Jib - Jazzy's xenophobic mardy bitch

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:59 PM

The young Midfielder/Left Wing – MacKenzie Heaney has been given his first pro contract with NUFC

• ZIPPIE57

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:06 PM

Huddersfield now have 5 quality new signings and have broken their transfer record for one of them
    Come on surely we are a bigger club ffs

• Markaccus

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:13 PM

Zippie

Edit…. Huddersfield have made 5 signings. Not sure i’d say they were “quality”. Many are suggesting most of them are championship standard.

• Jib - Jazzy's xenophobic mardy bitch

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:27 PM

ZIPPIE57
    Do be brief young ‘un

ffs

Tom Ince – A handful of PL games in 7 years
    Danny Williams – German American no PL games
    Kasey Palmer – Young Chelsea midfielder on his first loan with Huddersfild last season
    Scott Malone – Tall left back no PL games
    Steve Mounie top scorer wit 11 goals for Ligue2 side Nimes Olympique

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:28 PM

Mark- agreed. However, I do think we should have made more progress than we have. I thought we’d have a dm and striker in possibly a keeper in so we have sorted the spine already. I suspect those are the places we will take 4 weeks to fill.

• ZIPPIE57

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:06 PM

Jib
    You forgot Aaron Mooy

• voodoo85

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:54 PM

All for us breaking our record transfer fee but smashing it and paying £35m for this guy, no thanks.

• dannitoon

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Id rather spend 20m on giroud and put together a 15m contract for rooney

• Phil K

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:17 PM

Another pile of crap from Portuguese clubs
    A/ He’s not worth half that
    B/ He’s past the age of huge bids
    C/ Same Portuguese lunacy we get over their cast off Samaris – who isn’t worth a quarter of what they’re asking

1 4 5 6