web analytics

Great To See Newcastle Player Signed By Top Championship Club

We put out an article this morning that Leeds United were interested in signing Vurnon Anita, who has been a free agent since July 1st, the day after his contract expired at Newcastle.

And it’s good news tonight that Vurnon has signed a deal at Leeds so he should be a big player for them in the coming season.

The announcement was made via the Leeds  Twitter account although there is nothing yet on the Newcastle web-site.

28 year-old Vurnon Anita – signed for Leeds United

This is what Leeds said via their Twitter account followed by a welcome from the Leeds United owner Andrea Radrizzani:

Vurnon was one of our favorite players at Newcastle and he was also a great guy who was always completely committed to the Newcastle cause.

We were surprised – like a number of Newcastle fans – when the 28 year-old was released and not given a new deal, especially after Rafa had often complimented him as a first class professional who knew the game well.

Vurnon played 155 times for Newcastle over his five years at the club with 3 goals and 6 assists and 106 of those games were in the Premier League.

Last season he made 31 total appearances for the Magpies including 27 games in the Championship and helped us to get promoted straight back to the Premier League.

We wish Vurnon the very best of luck in his Leeds career and hope to see him back in the Premier League next year.

• WWSBRD

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:07 PM

jazzy/Shire
    Haha I was put in the corner under threat but I will never learn my lesson I promise u that

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:08 PM

Jazzy,
    Ya know what they. Sharings caring 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:09 PM

WW…,
    He needs to learn to call people smelly breath tw@ts instead of using their nationalities 😮

• jazzyp

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:11 PM

Wws

Regarding Lascelles and Hayden. I would imagine that depends on how much Rafa strengthens the squad mate.
    I still think another Cb will come in and Grant and maybe Mbemba out if they cannot persuade Rafa to have faith in them.
    And as much as I rate Hayden, I definately think we need an alternate as Colback simply offers nothing

• Jib - xenophobic mardy flapper

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:16 PM

Ron
    Kacper is experimenting as we speak
    The mooted replacements are
    Bottles of Dog
    Thumbs up/down
    The club logo
    mini poll

• WWSBRD

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:35 PM

Jail
    Aye wouldnt be a bad start for him tbf, I wonder if the captaincy would have a calming affect as it sometimes does but equally I worry about him being the only one able to talk to the ref, Lascelles can stay very calm throughout but would Shelvey?

jazzy
    Not wrong mate but I think regardless Lascelles will see a lot of play time (I still think we will play 3 at the back at times next season and Lejeune hinted at it too in his interview) Hanley I think is away but I think Mbemba will stay. On Hayden again I think he will play a lot he came to us with the PL in mind and I dont think he’d of turned Hull down if Rafa hadnt told him similar we are clearly after a CDM but Rafa is one to use his squad plus he can play CB and I think he would make a good box to box player as well if given a bit more freedom

It’ll depend on the transfers in like but I wouldnt be shocked to see them in a friendly squad if we have a half way decent season or if there are injuries to England players

• WWSBRD

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:37 PM

Anyway lads nice chatting but I must go (have to start some training just incase I run into slap happy around town). Unrelated note but maybe our blog designer could include a report button on posts? Its a normal thing on social media etc

Have a good one anyway

• jimmysmith

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:51 PM

If we get another mid, say for example Delph, we’d still need to either keep or replace Colback. But really Shelvey, Delph, Hayden, Colback, Perez and De Jong wouldn’t be bad at all as far as the middle of the park goes first campaign back. I’d take Negredo in place of Morph in a heartbeat to play up top ahead of them, with Mitro being brought along as understudy and Gayle also in the mix. Gibbs in as well, and a winger of similar calibre to start and possibly an experienced keeper and we are solid going in to our return campaign. Not far fetched to imagine that’s how it will pan out for us.

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:51 PM

I’d take negredo. Always rated him. I wish we would go all out for iheanacho but looks lcfc bound.

• hibbit

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:53 PM

WWSBRD
    didn’t realise you actually visited sunderland that’s the only place you could bump into jib 😛

• G

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:57 PM

Good luck Vern. For the record I think you have been a great player for us, have taken a lot of unjust criticism from a lot of fans, and undoubtedly worth another contract. For whatever reason, this isn’t the case, but I wish you the best of success in your future career.,

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:14 PM

Nite catch you tomorrow off to bed to count sheep jumping over the Tyne lads.

• lesh

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:17 PM

Great To See Newcastle Player Signed By Top Championship Club

It’d have been good if Ed’s headline had read –

Great To See Top Championship Club Player Signed By Newcastle.

However, it didn’t and we’ll all wish the best of everything for Vurnon.

• Blofal

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:19 AM

You know if we adopt the 3-5-2 formation that a lot of teams are using now days then I’m not sure it’s a given that we’ll sell Hanley or Mbemba. We would have a back 3 of Lascelles, Clarke and Lejeune and would have Mbemba and Hanley both pushing for a place. To get through a season with a back 3 we would need 5 CB’s in total to cover injuries and play in the cups.

• Markaccus

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:08 AM

Blofal

We’d have dummet to cover cb as well. If we play 352 he is unsuited to LWB anyway, due to getting a nose bleed when he crosses half way 😀

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:08 AM

Blofal…why do you assume Rafa will abandon his precious 4-4-1-1? Even in the obvious games last season he had a hard time abandoning it….

That is probably one of the only issues I have with Rafa…his old-school stubbornness!

• jazzyp

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:21 AM

Good morning lads

First rumour of the day.. Sergio Roberto

• cyprus

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:48 AM

Negredo? Rafa you fox you’ve been attention to my suggestions.

Ok, just two more and we’re set and you, and that new scout, can relax on signings:

Nasri, Jesus.

• cyprus

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:49 AM

Paying

• Markaccus

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:00 AM

Sergio Roberto and Negredo are 2 signings that would make me happy to say the least. Still think it’s paper talk though.

• jazzyp

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:05 AM

Mark

The blogs 90 % rumours mate. That’s why we all love it .
    I’m with you tho, Sergio would be some signing and links in to the Cam from Spain who we are supposedly in talks with.
    We can only hope pal

• Markaccus

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:08 AM

Jazzy

Ive got Everything crossed here, mate.

• Jib - xenophobic mardy flapper

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:27 AM

Whoops
    Jesper cannot help himself
    bit of a snipe at our trusted leader
    It’s 4-2-3-1 btw

• martoon

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:34 AM

ShirebrookToon – Sorry I was out last night just seen your question. As you say the DD period runs from April to March. Your payments continue next April hence renewing your ST automatically if you want to cancel you have to notify them by end of February I think. Normally you continue paying the same as last season until the new ST prices are announced and then your DD is adjusted accordingly – I think the first renewal it went down automatically to cover the 12 month period but I can’t exactly remember. I’m on the scheme where the price was fixed for 9/10 years so my ST price never rises – I don’t know if they still do that now?

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:37 AM

Martoon,
    Ah thought it was something along those lines. Thanks for clearing it up mate. Much appreciated 🙂

• Jib - xenophobic mardy flapper

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:38 AM

Jaap Stam at Reading admits he offered £5million for Karl Darlow and now David Wagner from Huddersfield is sniffing around the same player.
    What have these managers heard on the grapevine that would lead them to think Darlow is available ?
    Has Krul looked in tremendous form ?
    Has Rafa had a bid for Kiko Casilla or Pepe Reina accepted ?
    Has Rob Elliott lost 4 stones ?
    Time will tell

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:40 AM

Martoon,
    Don’t know about the 10 year price freeze. There was no option for that on the application. Unless I get offered it at a later date but doubt it.

• one fine day

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:45 AM

On negredo …lot of stuff coming from valencia about an apparent bid calling it “an erotic dream” if we can take him off their hands so clearly they no longer rate him…?
    strange as i thought he was a beast when he was at city … any ways who knows ? seems like we are being linked with every player on the planet at the moment other than Santiago Munez ..

• martoon

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:48 AM

ShirebrookToon – No problem – I don’t know about others on the DD scheme but I have to say while it is a very convenient way to pay for your ST they don’t really inform you very well about your payments. I’ve never had a notification telling me about a payment change and I thought they were supposed to as it is one of the rules of DD?

• giimps

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:12 AM

I got a letter from them detailing each payment and when it was going to be taken on ours.
    I can’t exactly remember when that was but I can remember seeing one.