web analytics

Newcastle Start Moving Into Top Gear To Sign These Five Transfer Targets

A number of fans have expressed some concerns about our lack of transfer business so far this summer, especially when we hear that Rafa was hoping to have up to five players in by now – and we’ve been guilty of some of that.

But we all have to be a little patient and it’s a really difficult task that Rafa and Lee Charnley and his team have to bring in up to say seven first team players, but also get rid of a number of players who have no futures at Newcastle.

It’s a lot more difficult than even last summer, when both men did an absolutely stellar job for the club.

Rafa Benitez – huge task with the help of Lee Charnley this summer
But they can still get the job done

The news over the last few days is that we are finding it hard to compete with some mid-table Premier League clubs mainly because of being down below and missing out on the huge payouts in the first year of the new Premier League £5.1B TV rights deal.

We cannot do anything about that now – that’s water under the Tyne Bridge – but we are back in the Premier League and we have to realize Rafa and Lee have an extremely difficult task on their hands this summer – but can still get the job done.

The good news is that Newcastle have seemed to have ratcheted things up in the transfer market since Rafa returned last Monday to take preseason training and we are being linked with some good players and reported to be trying to make deals for a number of them.

Here are some of the players we are reported to be after:

1. Adama Traore – the latest news is that we are negotiating with Middlesbrough on a possible swap deal with goalkeeper Karl Darlow going the other way and if we can pull this one off it would be a very good deal for both clubs.
  2. Andreas Samaris – we are negotiating with Benfica and trying to get closer to a deal with Newcastle still around about £3M short of Benfica’s valuation of Samaris at £17.5M, but it’s reported this player is one of Rafa’s top targets this summer and the manager wants the deal closed.
  3. Andros Townsend – there’s news in the Croydon Advertiser today that Newcastle are about to make their move for our former winger, who excelled under Rafa Benitez in the first half of last year.
    We are assuming Andros still has a £13M release clause in his contract and with today’s crazy transfer fees he would be a great deal for us – and that’s the fee we got from Crystal Place for him last summer.
  4. Jota – in what could be a surprise signing, it’s reported that Rafa Benitez is after the Brentford playmaker who has recently played in La Liga and we were first linked with Jota (full name Jose Ignacio Peleteiro Ramallo) in mid-June.
    That’s when Sky Sports reported the Newcastle manager was interested in signing his fellow countryman. There’s a possibility that we could sign this player soon, although other clubs are also in for him.
  5. Bas Dost – Newcastle have reportedly bid £35M for the Sporting Lisbon striker but the Lisbon club want to full £53M in his release clause – and that seems far too much for Newcastle this summer at least.
    The Chronicle are reporting today that maybe the money available to Rafa is only around £70M and not the £100M or more that had been reported earlier in the summer.
    Rafa wants up to another five first team players brought in after we have already signed Christian Atsu and Florian Lejeune – and we cannot really spend £35M on one player – not this summer anyway.

So there’s five good players Newcastle seem to be in for at the moment – and it would be great if we can say get a couple of them through the door in the next week.

What do you think?

• Jib - xenophobic mardy flapper

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:54 PM

Rafa is still assessing De Jong and Saivet I would imagine
    He’ll probably want to see them in Ireland and a couple of friendlies before
    making his mind up.
    There’s only the media and the more hysterical bloggers
    flapping and going to pieces

• bettyswallocks

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:58 PM

Tsunki@24……. Is that wishful thinking. It must be awful for you in a crowded elevator being subjected to the various aromas at that level. Sorry mate but the missus is sulking and refuses to acknowledge my banter. She is fed up of my constant jokes about her weight. She needs to lighten up.

• hibbit

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:02 PM

BenArfa the magician

to sell an item you have to have a buyer unfortunately we don’t seen to have any ❗
    any other suggestions that might help Rafa ❓

• Bobbybee

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:03 PM

Doesn’t matter who’s buying it, that’s economics. Rafa actually agrees basically with the Ashley blueprint in principle and agreed to it. He has asked that on occasion he be allowed to bend the rules where and when he sees fit and Ashley agreed to that.
    We may not like the fact that Ashley and Rafa get on, but that’s how it is. They’re working together to take the club forward but it won’t happen overnight. This season we consolidate, next season we push on. That’s the plan. You might argue that Ashley will renage on that, but that’s why Rafa had those meetings and got everything in writing. If Ashley renages on the agreement Rafa will bail and rightly so. That hasn’t happened and Rafa is cracking on within the restrictions he’s agreed to.
    That’s the reason I don’t listen to the Rafa’s walking BS. Five times already shyte stirrers have had Rafa walking – guaranteed walking – yet he’s still here working on wheeling and dealing to assemble the best squad he can. Hence, until I hear he’s walking from the horses mouth I choose to ignore such rumours. I might be wrong – wouldn’t be the first time in my life – but right now, that’s my viewpoint. I certainly don’t trust Ashley, but I do trust Rafa.

• Ron Knee

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:05 PM

I would post what you want until Dr Harrison says otherwise!

• magscar

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:05 PM

Jib

Fair point. Reports from their loan spells won’t be sufficient and Rafa no doubt wants to see them first hand in training to make up his mind. If I was a betting man I would say that Dear Jong is perhaps only one he hasn’t yet decided on but is leaning g towards – sell?

This another interesting side to whole issue of retaining border line players- if those Rafa is interested in can’t be brought in or won’t come here at what point do the scales tip from “maybe keep” to “will have to until next window”?

There are several factors at play during a transfer window many of which are not visible to us or press but between Rafa, his staff and Charnley. These are I suspect by necessity very fluid considerations and not totally confined to simply and exclusively ok move on down list to next one – FM17 it ain’t.

• magscar

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Predictive text scores again can’t be bothered to correct meaning is clear I think

• Thump

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:09 PM

@Bobby: we NEED to consolidate, is the thing. While I’d love us to spend every penny on the best possible players and not haggle over the odd million here and there, we’re in an inflated market with the new PL money, and were at a huge disadvantage. Maybe not spending in January has gave us a bit extra to play with, but a couple of solid signings and we should be okay until next season.

Let’s have some smooth sailing for a change!

• magscar

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:10 PM

Mind if I was say Tsunki I might think Dear Jong had a certain cachet 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:12 PM

From what I recall, the approved blogger list mentioned about half a dozen names so I reckon that over 95% of us aren’t on it.

Oh well, I’ll just continue to chuck the occasional comment even if I aint approved.

• Jib - xenophobic mardy flapper

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:13 PM

Do Dutch soldiers fighting in foreign parts get Dear Jong letters ?

• jga81

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:14 PM

Tfunki a can have an opinion if a want it’s not your blog either so f@ck off aswell

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:14 PM

Or even chuck the occasional comment in. 🙂

• Ron Knee

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:17 PM

Do the tfunki chicken!

• magscar

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:19 PM

Jib 🙂

Essex

You are on my list along with many others not previously mentioned – room for plenty of opinions and consequent disagreements but without the silly squabbles which some find amusing

• Jib - xenophobic mardy flapper

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:22 PM

Tfunki ing for Jamaica – Tom Browne – one of my faves

• Ron Knee

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:27 PM

Mine too!

• Bobbybee

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:27 PM

What a load of nonsense – approved bloggers. It’s a blog, we’re all allowed to post what we want. Everybody has people they agree with and those they disagree with but surely that’s the purpose of the blog? Don’t be so precious. If you’re not on one approved list I’m sure you’re on somebody’s.

• BenArfa the magician

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:32 PM

Hibbet

Thanks for the great reply really informative, hence why I said not all would be sold. All my comments are of my opinion only so being sarcastic asking for more suggestions for Rafa is pretty pointless. The whole point of this blog is to put ones opinion across correct?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:37 PM

Bobby thank you for your words of wisdom, I was speaking in jest however. 🙂

• Jib - xenophobic mardy flapper

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:38 PM

Bobby
    I’m an approved blogger
    I went to a very good school
    It was approved as well
    😀

• Bobbybee

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:43 PM

Bill, trust me mate, that was never intended in any way to include you. You are most definitely 100% on MY approved list of bloggers. I fully get your sense of humour mate. 🙂

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM

I had a horrible thought the other night while smoking a pipe in Blog End. What happens if Lejuene is our Colocinni Wow signing for the summer? And that we only spend say 20M on 4 more players. So forget all the signings above except possibly Traore and/or Jota. It’s probably just me being a bit suspicious about the boss. We know the boss is a knob who doesn’t want to spend but that he also doesn’t want to lose Rafa…..

• Bobbybee

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM

Jib, I know, I was in the class next to you. 🙂

• hibbit

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:46 PM

BenArfa the magician
    sorry mate if you took it that way
    the point i was making was most of the players on that list are unsellable at any price we paid to much for them gave them to long a contract and to high wages

• BenArfa the magician

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:49 PM

Hibbet

No problem mate and yes 100% agreed on the hard sell factors too high wages especially.

• Reilly

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:49 PM

Lesh.there are to many players on big wages doing fk all.
    We carnt just keep adding players to the wage bill with out getting rid.

spot on bobby.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:50 PM

So I think we can forget about Big Boat. And Andros. And Samaris. Our price point is lower. Much lower. Has anybody got a lead on a top, top player for say 3M pounds plus some add-ons (say some bargain bin stretchy pants)? Can even Rafa build a decent squad with a 30M pound spend? We’re only at 4M net so far. If we did manage to get 12M for Mitro and somehow gave away all our dross at a flea market could we survive in the Prem?

• Jib - xenophobic mardy flapper

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:52 PM

Benfica have decided to accept our bid for Samaris
    because they want to buy Real Madrid’s Brazilian
    right back Danilo

I cannot post a link under the new blog design
    (that will please a few I dare say)

• Mister Tuff

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:57 PM

Very good signing Samaris – Bas Dost next then a few under the radar types. Should be fine.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:00 PM

I think we can reasonably now suspect that there isn’t a big pot of transfer money. And sorry Ed I don’t believe we ever would have had 100M or 70M to spend after being relegated due to an incompetent owner, since it’s that same owner that still runs things. My guess is 30 to 40M total if we can bring in 10-15M in player sales. That’s the way the boss operates. How Rafa will deal with that is anyone’s guess. If a bigger club gets in trouble by the halfway point of the season they might take a run at Rafa. He won’t stay for long if it’s obvious that Ash is hopelessly deluded. Who would ever think Ash was hopelessly deluded you say? Everyone on here for starters I would think.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:04 PM

I hope you’re right Mr. Tuff. 17.5M is a lot of money for us to pay. No way for Dost though. Out of our league by at least 25M pounds.

• Jib

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Cracked it
    Unmodify your user name and you can post links
    😀

• toon kk

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:10 PM

Bobbybee @ 44
    Totally agree.

• Bobbybee

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:22 PM

Can’t find a link to the Samaris deal. Does that mean we’ve broken our transfer record for this lad?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:23 PM

Bobby,
    I’ve seen you post loads of times now that “you may not like it but Rafa and Ashley get on” who are you talking about here, it is absolutely great that they get on and even better that he gets on with that tw@t Charnley, it can only be good for the club.

• Ron Knee

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:31 PM

“Newcastle avança com 20 milhões por Samaris”

What does “avança” mean?

• Bobbybee

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:36 PM

Jail, those determined to see a rift. The ones who keep insisting Rafa is about to walk – up to about five times now. The ones insisting that Ashley is fighting Rafa all the time. You’re right, everyone should be happy. You might have missed a lot of those posts but I’m sure people will confirm it. You must be aware that some posters insist Ashley will mess this up.
    Not saying history doesn’t point to that, but to me they appears to have been a shift in Ashley’s thinking. Unfortunately some people won’t accept it and fill the blog with doom n gloom stories.
    Doubt anybody can argue Ashley’s been a dick in the past and has done some bizarre things that make us all wonder wtf he’s playing at, but recently he appears to have taken on board some good advice – especially with bringing Rafa aboard. Some accept a movement has occurred in the right direction, whilst others simply refuse to accept it – period.

• Bobbybee

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:38 PM

Ron, I don’t know!!!! Stop teasing me! 🙂 Is he coming?