web analytics

Newcastle Start Moving Into Top Gear To Sign These Five Transfer Targets

A number of fans have expressed some concerns about our lack of transfer business so far this summer, especially when we hear that Rafa was hoping to have up to five players in by now – and we’ve been guilty of some of that.

But we all have to be a little patient and it’s a really difficult task that Rafa and Lee Charnley and his team have to bring in up to say seven first team players, but also get rid of a number of players who have no futures at Newcastle.

It’s a lot more difficult than even last summer, when both men did an absolutely stellar job for the club.

Rafa Benitez – huge task with the help of Lee Charnley this summer
But they can still get the job done

The news over the last few days is that we are finding it hard to compete with some mid-table Premier League clubs mainly because of being down below and missing out on the huge payouts in the first year of the new Premier League £5.1B TV rights deal.

We cannot do anything about that now – that’s water under the Tyne Bridge – but we are back in the Premier League and we have to realize Rafa and Lee have an extremely difficult task on their hands this summer – but can still get the job done.

The good news is that Newcastle have seemed to have ratcheted things up in the transfer market since Rafa returned last Monday to take preseason training and we are being linked with some good players and reported to be trying to make deals for a number of them.

Here are some of the players we are reported to be after:

1. Adama Traore – the latest news is that we are negotiating with Middlesbrough on a possible swap deal with goalkeeper Karl Darlow going the other way and if we can pull this one off it would be a very good deal for both clubs.
  2. Andreas Samaris – we are negotiating with Benfica and trying to get closer to a deal with Newcastle still around about £3M short of Benfica’s valuation of Samaris at £17.5M, but it’s reported this player is one of Rafa’s top targets this summer and the manager wants the deal closed.
  3. Andros Townsend – there’s news in the Croydon Advertiser today that Newcastle are about to make their move for our former winger, who excelled under Rafa Benitez in the first half of last year.
    We are assuming Andros still has a £13M release clause in his contract and with today’s crazy transfer fees he would be a great deal for us – and that’s the fee we got from Crystal Place for him last summer.
  4. Jota – in what could be a surprise signing, it’s reported that Rafa Benitez is after the Brentford playmaker who has recently played in La Liga and we were first linked with Jota (full name Jose Ignacio Peleteiro Ramallo) in mid-June.
    That’s when Sky Sports reported the Newcastle manager was interested in signing his fellow countryman. There’s a possibility that we could sign this player soon, although other clubs are also in for him.
  5. Bas Dost – Newcastle have reportedly bid £35M for the Sporting Lisbon striker but the Lisbon club want to full £53M in his release clause – and that seems far too much for Newcastle this summer at least.
    The Chronicle are reporting today that maybe the money available to Rafa is only around £70M and not the £100M or more that had been reported earlier in the summer.
    Rafa wants up to another five first team players brought in after we have already signed Christian Atsu and Florian Lejeune – and we cannot really spend £35M on one player – not this summer anyway.

So there’s five good players Newcastle seem to be in for at the moment – and it would be great if we can say get a couple of them through the door in the next week.

What do you think?

• Mister Tuff

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:02 AM

bobbybee – you had your say – I’ve had mine – let’s call it even and start afresh.

• lesh

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:06 AM

Bobbybee…….. ?

• Bobbybee

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:06 AM

The difference is, I gave you advice. You tried telling me what I can post and what I can’t. That’s always your problem. You accuse others as if you own the blog. As if you somehow, have some say in matters. You don’t. You’re nobody. You don’t get to order people about.
    Actually, I think I know who you are. Should’ve twigged a while ago – ex filth, 6’7″ and full of shyte. Boy, I’m not surprised you’re frightened to go to games ha ha!

• Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:12 AM

Bobby
    Tuff.
    You’ve both said more than enough to each other. Passion has spilled over into a more personal animosity but let’s get some views on the toon.
    Both of you. How real do you think the Samaris link us and would you like to see him at the toon?

• lesh

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:13 AM

Bobbybee/ Mr Tuff

?

• lesh

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:15 AM

These freaking emoticons are driving me up the freaking plaster! Grrrrr. 😐

• lesh

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:20 AM

• Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:23 AM

Could be the case lesh. We know ash only likes to splash the existing cash rather than use the future stash

• Bobbybee

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:30 AM

Don’t worry yourselves. I will never address that tw@t again. Surprised I didn’t get on that earlier. What a doylum. In fact, that I even offered a olive branch has just turned my stomach. In fact, I need a shower just conversing with that. That’s that sorted then.

Yeah, Samaris would be a good signing matey. Maybe not the best season last season, but his overall record is very decent. Not sure it will happen though, because we’ve been reassured on here that we won’t break our transfer record, so not sure it can happen. 🙂
    I’m curious about this Bas Dost link that keeps coming up. Find it hard to believe we’ve gone anywhere near the price we’ve been quoted as offering, but it keeps popping up and not just from the usual silly sources either. What is it? 34m euros? His goals say he could be worth that but can’t see it this window, unless Penfold has been raiding his piggy bank! 🙂

• Bobbybee

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:36 AM

Lesh, this money thing must confuse everybody. Nobody ever seems to know when it is paid and even reading that I’m still not sure! 🙂 I mean, how can they pay you monthly? Everyone gets a different amount depending on where they finish, so how can we get paid when we weren’t there? Or am I missing something you might have spotted?

• Mister Tuff

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:45 AM

Bobbybee – you made your offer accompanied by half a page of insults ( or as you say advice) I reciprocated in the exact same manner. You like to say you have the right to respond – well so do I.
    Why can you write half a page abusing me and I cannot do likewise – I’m just responding in the exact same manner as you posted. And I said in the last sentence – bury the hatchet. quite clear that I agreed to call an end to the feuding. quite clear.
    Now you are saying I’m telling you what to say on the blog – what – where the hell did you get that from.
    And you’ve launched a tirade of abuse.
    You made the initial offer – I will again say fine- let’s bury the hatchet. I’m prepared to agree to your proposal – how many times do I need to say it. Over to you.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:54 AM

pardew – Samaris looks half decent but at the end of the day it’s how he plays in the PL, fits into the team, is asked to play and of course the rest of the team. you can have a decent midfielder but if others around him cannot hit a barn door it sort of negates any quality the bloke has.
    Bas Dost – certainly knows where the net is and the lad from Brentford -Jota – looks a decent player – albeit in the Championship – but he makes the runs forward -if he has that mentality he’ll also have it in the PL.

• Bobbybee

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:55 AM

PPB, it was Leeds insistence in spending future money that got them in the trouble they were in. It was slightly different inasmuch they spent the Championship League money and then failed to qualify, but it’s a warning about what can happen when you overspend the budget to.
    Rafa actually agrees with Ashley’s blueprint on running the club, as long as he can deviate from it now and then when he feels the need,so I can’t see that changing now.
    Like I said earlier, building a team to challenge won’t happen overnight and as fans we’ve just got to accept that. Some can’t and demand it happens now, but that’s a pipedream. Unless of course Ashley sells up very soon, or gets some finance brought on board, but I’m not relying on that.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:57 AM

And at that I’m away to the pit.

• Bobbybee

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:08 AM

Jota is greatly underrated on here, as was Church also from Brentford. Brentford played some of the nicest football in the league when both were fit and available.
    Jota did really well in Spain, then came back and ripped it up for Brentford. What was it? 11 goals and seven assists since January – something like that, roughly. Not as a striker either, as a winger. I know the argument it was only the Championship, but couldn’t that apply to Shelvey and Gayle? Or the Fulham lad we were interested in?
    You don’t need to cost a fortune or be a big name to perform well and bear in mind, these are Rafa’s choices now and although he isn’t infallible, he does know a good player generally.
    I’d take Traore as well. Not on his form, because his end product is abysmal at the moment, but on potential. That pace is blistering and if he can learn to use the ball better – Rafa’s coaching will come in there – he could be another Bale. (slight exaggeration but you get my drift).

• custurd

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:18 AM

Not too long ago, Spain were winning tournaments with no strikers. That must be Rafa’s plan, judging by todays’ rags who reckon we’re “on the verge” of signing three wingers — Townsend, Navas and Traore — to play “alongside” the three we already have — Atsu, Ritchie and Aarons. Apparently 🙂

• Bobbybee

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:24 AM

Tuff, for the sake of the blog, let’s do that. I’m fed up of it all and come here to talk football. It’s my passion in life as anybody who knows me will agree. I can row with the best and have on here against six at a time, but it’s not what I want. I love football. Even more so since my accident because I’m restricted to what I can and can’t do. I throw it all into football.
    That means no dragging up the past arguments. Christ, you can have a good ruck and let it go the next day if you try. Football brings up great passion in people and if it didn’t, it wouldn’t have the appeal it has. But it’s also a game where no two people see exactly the same thing. You disagree, you put your point across passionately, but then let it go. It’s not about scoring points off each other – or it shouldn’t be.
    Me and Lesh here often have widely differing views and sometimes discuss it heatedly, but next day it’s forgotten. The reason being, in the greater scheme of things, it’s not that important. It’s opinions about aspects of the game.
    So right, no insults there, agreed? Our past arguments are forgotten? Never to be raised again? I can live with that if you can.

• Bobbybee

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:33 AM

Custard, we need cover in every position, so with Aaron’s injury record it’s difficult to put too much faith in him, so that might explain why to an extent. Does Ritchie have the pace as a winger in the PL? I’d like to see him tucked in behind the striker myself, in a No10 position if De Jong doesn’t cut it. Then of course, we may not get those others and in reality might have no interest in them. Rafa certainly isn’t advertising his main targets, despite what headlines might say. If he gets one, he’ll probably not bother with the other, but better to keep options open.
    Who would you personally go for as wingers from the players mentioned?

• Bobbybee

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:48 AM

Custard, just checked the news feed mate. Better throw Jesus Navas into that equation! 🙂 Yet another winger we’re apparently in pole position to sign and that Rafa has allegedly already approached with an offer. Getting silly innit?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:58 AM

Blimey we could have a team of wingers, just hope we have someone in the middle to convert all of those crosses.

Not Bas Dost, though, he didn’t impress me in the Bundesleague games on telly, rather have Gomez even if he is now an football oap.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 9, 2017 at 2:03 AM

We should have a ceremony where Bobby and Mr Tuff symbolically bury the hatchet, not in each others head though. 🙂

I’d bet that if the pair of them met up in a pub, they’d get on like a house on fire, probably be some great banter.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 9, 2017 at 2:06 AM

Anyway my bed is calling, goodnight all, over to,the blog nightshift now!

• Bobbybee

Jul 9, 2017 at 2:06 AM

He has bagged a lot of goals per game though Bill. Not just a one off either, he seems to do it regularly. That said, the price is ridiculous anyway and simply out of our price range just now.
    Makes you wonder where these links originate. Haven’t checked any other clubs blogs, but I wonder if they’re having to put up with this sort of nonsense, or if we’ve been targeted?

• Bobbybee

Jul 9, 2017 at 2:11 AM

Aye, I’m ready for my bed too. Looking forward to seeing England finish off the South Africans later. 🙂 Wonder how many more players we’ll be linked with tomorrow? It ain’t called silly season for nothing. G’night one and all.

• lesh

Jul 9, 2017 at 2:15 AM

Bobby @170

I got the impression that it’s the TV money that’s paid monthly, in advance. It’ll vary as the tranches of televised games are announced. I think.

Nevertheless, it seems there’s been a few quid paid into the transfer fund jar.

• JAMSHA

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:49 AM

Mirror says We are in Talks With Jesus Navas , If this is true would love it

• YoungMag :P

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:57 AM

Ughhh, im not used to having to get up this early.

• hibbit

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:03 AM

Jesus Navas
    now that would be a trophy signing 🙂
    YoungMag
    be worth it when you get that first wage keep up the good work the money always helps
    have a good day and remember the customer is always right 😛

• DubaiMicky

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:19 AM

@hibbit,
    Jesus Navas
    now that would be a trophy signing

Hardly, he’s a free agent!

1 3 4 5