web analytics

Newcastle Switch To New Goalkeeper Target – To Bid €15M

It looks like Newcastle are interested in signing 24 year-old Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Alphonse Areola this summer.

Rafa Benitez is keen to bring in a new first choice goalkeeper this summer, as he probably offloads both Karl Darlow and Tim Krul and there’s news in France Football today that Newcastle are close to making an offer of €15M for the French U21 International.

The report is that Rafa Benitez has followed the progress of the player since the Frenchman’s time at Villarreal in season 2015-2016, when he played 37 times on loan for the Spanish club and played extremely well.

24 year-old Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Alphonse Areola

The news is that Areola is now Newcastle’s number one goalkeeper target and Rafa is considering submitting a €15M (£13.3M) bid for the player, who has played for all the French youth sides from U16 through U21.

The 24-year-old Frenchman played 27 times for the PSG first team last season and he is said to be a very calm goalkeeper who is good in the air, commands his box  and an excellent shot-stopper.

Alphonse Areola also has first class leadership skills – always something that Rafa seems to look for in players he wants to sign for Newcastle.

Areola was born in Paris and joined his home town club back in 2006 as a  13 year-old and has been there ever since.

He’s had season long loan spells at Lens (2013-1024 – 36 appearances), Bastia (2014-2015 – 39 appearances) and Villarreal (2015-2016 – 37 appearances) so he has already played 141 first team games in total.

He seems like a very good young goalkeeper who stands 6ft 3ins tall and could do very well in the Premier League.

What do you think?

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:13 AM

Expat
    😛

• JohnJ

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:16 AM

How about this Jib…..
    Translation…..
    The fans acclaimed him and invited him to stay on his arrival at Dimaro, and Pepe Reina’s affair could end with a happy ending: the white smoke on renewal of the contract. According to today’s edition of Corriere dello Sport, the clutches between him and ADL are now behind and the parties are dealing in a fairly serene way.

There would be a willingness on both sides to continue together: the final response will take place after the meeting between president and player, but all leaves for a new agreement.

• nightfa11

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:17 AM

Personally I wouldn’t be to bothered if we sold Gayle (IF we are low on funds). I like the guy, but he isn’t rafas first choice striker in epl, so it wouldn’t make sense to have a 15 mio player on bench.

• jazzyp

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:18 AM

Shirebrook

Morning bud
    I would have liked Rueban here, Think he’s a massive talent. I’m only hoping he turned us down because of the London link and no other reason.
    What do ya think to Wilfred Bony? I know he didn’t do much at Stoke but was cracking at Swans

• JohnJ

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:19 AM

I appreciate that a good keeper can be a big asset to a team but imo there are more important needs in other areas of the team that need to be addressed first….. the most important being a top goalscorer!

• nightfa11

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:21 AM

The main problem we have atm is that we don’t have a captain and reina fits the bill.

• nut meg

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Wilshire, not for me, don’t think we need a hobbling,staggering incoherent midfielder.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:21 AM

How do we know Gayle won’t be first choice next season?

• jackostoon

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:23 AM

Morning all,
    Jib, I’m 51 and not the brightest star in the sky but the only things I could take from those three links were, Reina, Napoli and that the weather’s going to be nice in Italy.
    JohnJ,
    Cheers bud.

• nightfa11

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Jail

Touche. I assumed rafa wants somebody more experienced to lead the line.

• expatmag

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:25 AM

John j

Agreed. More important needs elsewhere.

Nightfall

I dont see Wilshire being an advantage and certainly cannot compare him to Colback as they are 2 diffrrent styled midfielders. I wouldnt be selling Gayle either. I fully expect him to be crucial for us next season.

Stay well clear of Bony. He has been an expensive failure at both City and Stoke.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Jazzy
    I wouldn’t say no to bony mate. But is he a Rafa type player?

• lesh

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Jib @3

That Startforth Tweet and Rafa’s utterances yesterday were comforting.

It looks as though he’s laid out his strategy and budget to Ashley who agreed them. Since then, the markets gone mad and Rafa’s got to deal with it, within budget.

I’d imagine that Rafa’s a proud man who won’t be keen to go to Ashley for more money and so will be trying to do what he needs to do within his proposed budget. If that is the case, then we can relax, hope that Rafa can do what he wants to do and that if necessary, Ashley will sanction additional spend if Rafa can convince him he really needs it.

Had Rafa spoken earlier, fans’d be more optimistic and a few of us, me included, optimistic rather than pessimistic.

• martoon

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Jib & JohnJ – From memory wasn’t the problem something like the Chairman insulted Reina’s wife on social media? If she is involved it may not be so easy to patch things up!

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:29 AM

Do we not need a RB as well, unless it’s going to be Yedlin and Gamez. Is Sterry a RB or CB?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:33 AM

Are the LB’s going to be Dummet and Lazaar, I thought we’d be getting a top quality LB but we don’t seem to be linked with any full backs, what’s that Jetro Willems up to.

• Blofal

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Sterry is a RB but isn’t ready for Premier League football just yet.

• jazzyp

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Expat

I agree he didn’t pull any trees up at Stoke, But a bit harsh to say he failed at City.
    He was always gonna play second fiddle to Aguero.And Dzeko was doing a job there to.
    If we gonna write a player off for one bad season, Then what hope had Mitrovic got

• martoon

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Jail – we’ve been linked with Gibbs from Arsenal – he would be decent competition for Dummett!

• jazzyp

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:39 AM

Jail

I think we all agree we need a left back and Gibbs and Jetro would both fit the bill.
    I’m sure Psv were after Robertson as Willems has expressed his desire to move to the Pl.

• Ron Knee

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:41 AM

I think – hope – we’ll eventually have a workmanlike squad under Rafa, but things may not be in place until the end of the window. That’s a worry.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Lesh…has the marked really gone mad since Rafa and Ashley agreed on a budget? Is it really that different from last year if you take the money flow into account?

You sell high and you pay high.

Iheanacho at £25M is still a good deal because the prices will keep on being inflated (still a lot of money to pay, but the turn over is the same I think)

I just think we might have to except we’re not doing to well this window like we have thought…time will tell I suppose!

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:51 AM

It would be nice to know what positions Rafa wants never mind what players. I always thought LB, RB, CB, LW, AM, DM and ST.

• Jib

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Martoon
    I just cannot understand folk who insult others on social media
    😎

• expatmag

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:07 AM

JIB

Hope you have your tin helmet handy

• nut meg

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Jail
    As far as I remember Rafa wanted to strengthen the spine which many years ago was GK..CH,CF but nowadays I suppose you can add DMF.CMF / AMF to the list.

• magspuggy

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:13 AM

That rafa bloke was on look north this morning looking “somber” as reported by lee ryder.

I wonder if lee and co run a book where you have to add worlds they dont understand to articles.

Imho
    Rafa looked happy enough he really gets a kick from the community events and gets what they give to the bairns.
    I wonder if thats a big part of why they loved him at liverpool.

The way this windows looking atm i think we may buy wor imported players first and then try and buy from the prem when(if) thing settle down a bit.

• Jib

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:46 AM

Someone commented yesterday that while there is no
    sign of consternation on the splendid NUFC.com they
    refuse to be concerned.

Quite right.

Niall and Biffa have been there so often before they have several T-shirts each.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Well that was a flurry of activity come to an abrupt halt.

• Bobbybee

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:56 AM

So, for all the stick I got for being optimistic, turns out I was right again chaps. 🙂 Panic over?
    Joking aside, people need to trust Rafa a bit more. He’s not the walking type, he’s the stay and fix it type until the fixing is beyond repair. He’s told us his plans and he simply hasn’t time – nor inclination I imagine – to run around us all tucking us up and telling us ‘there there, everything will be fine, go to sleep now’. If things change, from how he is as a person – how he comes across anyway, I don’t know him personally – I’m sure he’ll let us know. Until that happens, I think it’s fair to assume he’s cracking on with his job.
    You know, I do get the Ashley thing. He’s been a nob and I doubt even he could deny that, so I get the concern he might revert to type, but Rafa went to a lot of trouble to ensure he got everything in writing and that was for a reason. No need to trust Ashley – even a pet snake can bite you after all – but give Rafa the respect he’s surely earned. This is his pet project and he’s unlikely to walk right at the start.

• Jib

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:01 AM

Jeff Blue said in court

“Mr Ashley was like no other client that anyone at Merrill Lynch had ever come across.
    Notwithstanding the venue and the consumption of alcohol, I note that Mr Ashley was able during the evening to conduct other business, including making decisions in regards to player transfers on behalf of Newcastle United.”

NUFC.com commented
    That “strategy” may explain how JFK ended up on the club payroll not once, but twice.

• magspuggy

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:06 AM

Ashley
    Also said in court he is the last person to hear about transfers at nufc
    Aslo the people in charge dont care about his input as he does not understand football.

I take everything he says with a pinch of salt tbh

• Bobbybee

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:09 AM

Jib, when was this mate? I’m assuming, from how long matters take to get to court, that this all happened before Rafa came on board and agreements finalised on ‘football matters’.
    From what I can gather, Rafa now has control of players coming and going and Penfold has control of the purse strings, leaving Ashley free to, well, get pissed and things. 🙂 Not sure they have to get the OK from him anymore. That’s how I see it anyway.

• Bobbybee

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:12 AM

Mags, makes you wonder if this chap is trying to get one over on Ashley lol. Makes a change from him trying to get one over on us I suppose!

• AncientC

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:15 AM

It would make sense if Ashley were the last person to hear about transfers at NUFC, he has already put in place the structures for Charnley to abide by – if/when a transfer meets all of those requirements and a deal is in place, that would be the point in which Ashley is contacted to be informed the deal is going through, giving Ashley the final call.

Charnley doesn’t need to call Ashley to ask him if they can spend most of the budget on a 31 year old player, as he already knows what the answer would be.

• Jib

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:18 AM

2013
    Bobby

magspuggy

said in court he is the last person to hear about transfers at nufc

referring to now since the structure has changed since Rafa arrived

• magspuggy

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:19 AM

Bobby
    Who hasnt offered to pay someone £15 million bonus when having a pint lol

• Jib

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Ancient C
    Which 31 year old player is worth £80 million in your opinion ?

• Bobbybee

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:21 AM

Anyway, looks like we might be getting ready to test the resolve of Norwich by upping the offer for Murphy. I think it’s worth the effort myself. Young lad with loads of potential who’s price will surely increase if he puts in a decent season in the PL.
    Think we might have to decide which positions are crucial to us and spend whatever money we’ve got on those. I’m sure nobody expected prices to rise quite this much and even Rafa was caught out.
    I imagine he set out who he wanted on paper for Penfold to go get, but all that went tits up due to prices. Hence the meeting they had to reassess the situation. No doubt the numbers have been reduced to stretch the money further.

• martoon

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:26 AM

When you are at Ashley’s level you can’t be consulted on every decision this would be impractical. I would imagine he sets budgets and targets and then employs people to carry these out. In the case of NUFC this is Charnley & Rafa – maybe if we were about to break our transfer record he may be consulted but not for every decision.