web analytics

Newcastle Should Decide Which Player They Want Between These Two – And Go All Out To Sign Him

Newcastle wanted to sign Everton midfielder James McCarthy in January and also winger Andros Townsend from Crystal Palace, but we were not successful – and one thing that has puzzled us is why we haven’t aggressively gone after either of these two players this summer.

What happens when you don’t aggressively pursue your targets is that other clubs come in for them and would you believe that Leicester City are now interested in signing the 26 year-old Everton central midfielder who we think would be a great buy for us.

And Leicester have more funds to meet the asking price for James – £20M or £25M – whichever reports you believe.

26 year-old Everton midfielder James McCarthy

We have wanted James since last summer and if we had managed to stay up Rafa would probably have gone after him at that time.

We definitely need another playmaker in the team and we found out last season that Jonjo Shelley is not enough – when he’s injured or suspended and out of the team we looked poor.

A cheaper alternative to James is Manchester City central midfielder Fabian Delph, who is available for £12M with Stoke City looking like the main competition to Newcastle.

27 year-old Manchester City midfielder Fabian Delph

Is it too much to ask that they decide which player they want between the two of them and then go all out to sign him.

We can get Fabian by bidding the £12M City want for him rather than going in with £8M and then waiting a week or two and then raising it to £8.5M – you know – that kind of thrifty nonsense that gets you nowhere fast.

That’s the type of stuff that dragged the Florian Lejeune transfer out to more than six weeks.

What do you think?

• Ron Knee

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:21 PM

Can we expect to see Rivière play against Hearts?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:24 PM

Jib,
    I think he done more than just endorse his book. Martin that is, I worked with a Micheal Hardy hence the mix up.

“That was also the starting point for the book. Rafa proved as good as his word. He let me watch training sessions, he introduced me to his friends, he took me into the community with him and I watched a club reconnect with its people”

• Ron Knee

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:26 PM

On the previous thread Ed wrote: “… there should be a meeting of the principal players involved in the transfers and get the stuff talked through …” But haven’t they had a big meeting recently?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:28 PM

Ron,
    I haven’t been worried at all, that article written by someone who knows Rafa quite well has left me feeling very uneasy.

• Jib

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:31 PM

Ron
    In case you haven’t noticed
    One of the principals has been busy at the High court in London
    😀

• toontaff2

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:34 PM

Laurent Depoitre (FC Porto) – Undisclosed (3.5)
    Aaron Mooy (Man City) – £8m (10 with add-ons)
    Jonas Lossl (Mainz) – Loan
    Tom Ince (Derby County) – Undisclosed (8)
    Kasey Palmer (Chelsea) – Loan
    Danny Williams (Reading) – Free
    Steve Mounie (Montpellier) – Undisclosed (11.5)
    Scott Malone (Fulham) – Undisclosed (4)
    Mathias Jorgensen (FC Copenhagen) – Undisclosed (3.5))

• Ron Knee

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:34 PM

Jib

So you think Ed was including Ashley?

• toontaff2

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:35 PM

Which of the ‘Udders9 would improve our team/squad?

• Ron Knee

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:36 PM

Jail

I’ll (really) start worrying when we’re well into August and nothing has happened.

• Jib

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:38 PM

A lot of deals twixt clubs are facilitated by owners talking to each other informally
    I think what may have been missed here is Ashleys input to give a deal his final push.
    Now that the court case is over perhaps Ashley can start kicking some ass.

• toontaff2

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:39 PM

Shire, I’m still searching for his critical comments on Erwin Mulder! They seem to have disappeared.

• toontaff2

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:40 PM

Maybe Mikey can donate the other 14 million to a worthwhile cause, if hi wins the case?

• GeordieTwo

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:42 PM

Mounie and Ince would add to our squad depth. That’s about all…..

• danishmag

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:45 PM

Just a thought..
    Bring back Ben arfa on a free.. Townsend for 13mill.. Sturridge for 15mil..
    A couple of spanish players due to Rafas connections, for left back and defensive midfielder for maybe 25mil..
    Thats the positions we need strengthened.
    For a mere 50-55mil.
    I know Ben arfa is a clown, but boy can he play out a defence.. I know Sturridge has a lot of injuries, but he scores the 15 goals a season never the less.
    How hard can this be mr.Ashley?

• Jib

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:59 PM

danishmag
    Just a thought..
    Bring back Ben arfa on a free

Wow you know your footy

Dye Beardsley’s hair and get Supermac a corset and we’ve got it cracked.

• WWSBRD

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:00 PM

Its beginning to look a lot like Newcastle, everywhere I look
    Ashleys starting to rock the boat, Rafas getting all fed up
    And it all looks so bleak

Least I entertain myself

Club really need to start acting quicker though or it will reach a head

• hibbit

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:04 PM

danishmag

the last thing we need is a waster like HBA back in the dressing room
    do you honestly think Rafa would entertain a player like HBA ?????

• hibbit

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:05 PM

WWSBRD
    how’s the new job ????

• Legolas

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:07 PM

After reading stories of unrest I usually think that most are bull s**t. However, I am becoming increasingly worried about the lack of signings.

Can Ashley really screw us over again. I honestly thought we had turned a corner but have I yet again been fooled by this man? It is worrying the lack of transfers.

• WWSBRD

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:10 PM

hibbit
    Pretty good cheers mate bit difficult coming to terms with not having my phone all the time like went into work looking at signings and came out to more Rafa is fed up stories haha

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:26 PM

Hibbit rafa is getting ready to walk as soon as another club comes in for him he will not be worried what money he loses he got plenty and this lot on here can’t see what’s about to happen I hope jr does not but can’t blame the bloke Ashley f@cks every body over when will our fans never see it.

• welshgeordie9

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:40 PM

So when i moan about there’s no new signings i get people on my back, negative bull crap, wum etc but now there’s a few saying the same frigging thing as me and I’ve been saying it for a couple of weeks nothing’s getting said about them.

Unbelievable

Think some are see the light while others well……………………………………

• welshgeordie9

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:42 PM

Not going to say i told you so just yet.

• Jack Root

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:48 PM

Jail and 10 year S T’s. You clearly don’t know of or understand, the time value of money. Ashley and regular ST fans are happy with the arrangement. Over time inflation decreases the value of £.
    Stop flapping about things you
    don’t understand or follow and can’t influence. All you’re doing is to make many readers/ contributors nervous by your insistence on talking down the relationship between Ashley and Rafa.

Just my opinion, but I think Rafa sees quality signings, value for money, as a prerequisite to success and not doing what Hudd’fd have done by shopping in the bargain basement. He’s bidding his time.

Be patient don’t panic and listen to those that do have a clue. I’ve bought Hardy’s book but many haven’t and any publicity will help sales.

• beermonkey

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:49 PM

welsh u get called a WUM cos you are

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:51 PM

carl,
    Get back in your hole will you please, nobody asked you.

• toontaff2

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:56 PM

W

• TudorCrisps

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:58 PM

I’m hoping there is a surprise signing showing off the new kit on the Facebook live feed!

• welshgeordie9

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:58 PM

beermonkey

I get called it because I’m not from Newcastle, it’s BS.

• toontaff2

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:59 PM

Looks like my comment’s are disappearing………….where’s Mulder?

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:00 PM

Delph and Mccarthy?

I don’t see them as much better than Shelvey and Hayden. I’d definitely play Shelvey ahead of either of them.

They’re busybodies. Midfield ratters. We have Hayden who’s younger, has more potential and probably more mobile. They’re just not worth the money, either of them.

• toontaff2

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:00 PM

‘Udders9, Beermonkey is correct.

• beermonkey

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:02 PM

welsh

u get it because of what you post time and time again
    i dont think any regular reader of the blog would think your a fan

its nothing to do with where your from

• toontaff2

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:05 PM

I don’t think he’s even a Swansea fan.
    Pobably comes from Merthyr Tydfil.

• welshgeordie9

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:08 PM

I don’t have to support Newcastle, I can easily say frig this I’m off and just support the swans, but i don’t want to and never will, how many people do you know that’s not from Newcastle talk constantly to others about your club, first thing I do when i get up I look at the latest news, when the lads in work go for their breaks I ask them to check up on the latest news, not many do that, i only moan because i care, if Ashley had brains he would give unlimited funds to Rafa and say off you go get whoever you want but it’s completely opposite as an outsider looking in its frustrating.

• beermonkey

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:12 PM

toontaff

i once went to Merthyr Tydfil they dont like the english there and the women at the checkout tried to tell me they couldnt take cards when i could see the machine then she tried to smash my bottle of brandy

such a charming place

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:17 PM

welsh,
    Your arrival coincided with the worst bit of trolling the blog had ever seen. You high fived and whooped with those trolls despite knowing what harm they were causing the blog. You then went on a campaign of slating Pardew until you realised that he wasn’t popular then changed tact and started to pretend to hero worship him. You are a Trumll !

• Jib

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:22 PM

I once went to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch .
    Iasked a lass in a local eating establishment how you pronounced it.
    she said

B-u-r-g-e-r-k-i-n-g

• TudorCrisps

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:27 PM

Haha

• magspuggy

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:27 PM

Kasper
    Instead of the broken hearts thingybob
    Can we not have a report button ?

And a DO NOT FEED THE TROLL sign
    for the wums and multiples.

The blog would be a better place imho