web analytics

Newcastle Should Decide Which Player They Want Between These Two – And Go All Out To Sign Him

Newcastle wanted to sign Everton midfielder James McCarthy in January and also winger Andros Townsend from Crystal Palace, but we were not successful – and one thing that has puzzled us is why we haven’t aggressively gone after either of these two players this summer.

What happens when you don’t aggressively pursue your targets is that other clubs come in for them and would you believe that Leicester City are now interested in signing the 26 year-old Everton central midfielder who we think would be a great buy for us.

And Leicester have more funds to meet the asking price for James – £20M or £25M – whichever reports you believe.

26 year-old Everton midfielder James McCarthy

We have wanted James since last summer and if we had managed to stay up Rafa would probably have gone after him at that time.

We definitely need another playmaker in the team and we found out last season that Jonjo Shelley is not enough – when he’s injured or suspended and out of the team we looked poor.

A cheaper alternative to James is Manchester City central midfielder Fabian Delph, who is available for £12M with Stoke City looking like the main competition to Newcastle.

27 year-old Manchester City midfielder Fabian Delph

Is it too much to ask that they decide which player they want between the two of them and then go all out to sign him.

We can get Fabian by bidding the £12M City want for him rather than going in with £8M and then waiting a week or two and then raising it to £8.5M – you know – that kind of thrifty nonsense that gets you nowhere fast.

That’s the type of stuff that dragged the Florian Lejeune transfer out to more than six weeks.

What do you think?

• GeordieTwo

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:45 PM

I can’t see us spending anywhere near 60-70M this summer. Ashley won’t sanction it. But Rafa will want at least 30M to strengthen for Prem survival. We can add it up at the end of the window lads. Anyone calling for 6 or 7 more decent players is in for quite a shock though I’m afraid. It will either be 2 very good players or 3 decent players. That’s it given the current spending frenzy.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:52 PM

Well jib recently called me a mackem so I think we’re safe on that front. You’ve yet to be called a mackem, many other things lol but not a mackem.

• Bobbybee

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:02 AM

Ronaldo, Aye, which is fine, because the people calling me names really bothers me lol. I’d be very disappointed if they did like me to be honest. Much rather talk football with yourself mate and like minded People. There’s enough of those on here to keep me busy chatting. 🙂
    Anyway, getting late again so I think I’ll turn in for the night mate. Cheers for the sensible chat about football, I’m sure we’ll take this up again another time. G’night.

• magspuggy

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:02 AM

As long as we can beat the drop we have a great chance of kicking on over the next few seasons.

First though its like a croc race
    We dont have to outrun the croc
    Just run faster than 3 others

Then even in spite of ashley we will be able to turn nufc into a club that others will look at in envy and try to copy.

We have the fans, manager, stadium all in place to do it.

As rafa said wake the giant.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:03 AM

Good sensible bloggery there Bobby and Ronaldo. Well done lads.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:07 AM

When you’re busy running from the croc, that’s when the honey badger coming from the other direction gets you by the plums though magspuggy mate….. So we have to be careful. Harrumph…

• magspuggy

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:09 AM

Only in greys club g2 only in greys
    Lmfao

• GeordieTwo

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:09 AM

I am worried now though. This just doesn’t smell right to me. If it walks like a honey badger and bleats like a goat, then it’s definitely a honey goat as the old saying goes…..

• magspuggy

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:12 AM

After 10 pints mate they are all honey badgers

• GeordieTwo

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:13 AM

This is another fine mess we’ve gotten ourselves into lads.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:14 AM

Good point magspuggy. I’ve always wanted to have a few at Greys.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:16 AM

Have to head out now. See you all tomorrow hopefully.

• magspuggy

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:24 AM

I honestly dont think our squad will do as bad as a lot of folk do

Another season just to survive will be grim
    But at least this lot care and that is what boiled my pittle last time they just didnt care

When this window settles doon we will grab a couple of players and crack on.

Then we will lose a game and the blog will have a melt doon

Hey ho.
    Its never easy following the toon

• leonado_keng

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:02 AM

Money we got from Sissoko,Carrol, not spent at all. Ashley out!!!!!!!!!!

• manxpie

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:16 AM

I’m gonna stop gambling
    Gambling company well here have 88 pound free
    I’m gonna stop my subscription to sky
    Sky: well here have 2 months for £1.99
    I’m gonna stop heroin
    Dealer: well have this for free but make sure you tell people about it!!!

Well done ourtoon keeping it dignified and average making me laugh
    But Bobby how the fusk can you say the 10 year deal is in the goodwill of the fans!?
    The fact is they should be paying people like you ffs!

• manxpie

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:22 AM

Just a side note McCarthy is shite and I mean of the proper kind unfit and not worth more than colback!!!
    Also geordietwo ya can fit a hell of a lot of words in 1 comment box so how about us use it instead of your ridiculous 10 in a row
    It will stop me having to skip so much thanks in advance

• jimmysmith

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:39 AM

The club has a point, transfer fees are extortionate, but then again it’s only reasonable that clubs selling to the EPL get a piece of the action. We are in the unfortunate position of being quoted EPL prices without the full whack of last seasons increased EPL tv money to spend. I expect Rafa will have clear a understanding what we can reasonably spend and what we can reasonably get. I doubt he’s jumping up and down and making demands and ultimatums.

I’ll be happy to see us being canny and patient considering the way things are . You’re hardly missing out when McCarthy and others of his ilk are carrying a 25 million pound price tag. Look to the continent for up and coming players Rafa, and also at good experienced players coming off contract, and use the entire window to maximise our chances of getting the best deals.

• expatmag

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:07 AM

Sell Armstrong……not good enough

• expatmag

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:09 AM

MANXPIE @ 136

Totally agree. About the canadian clowns excessive comments……lol

• john tudor

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:04 AM

don’t like don’t read…..easy fix

• expatmag

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:48 AM

TUDOR

Advice duly noted. I will continue to ignore your posts ……lol

• lesh

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:10 AM

Expat…..Posting about getting rid of Arma was a bit naughty. Surely it wasn’t an attempt to goad wor Bobby into an argument….. was it?

• toontaff2

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:21 AM

7 weeks to go. 😮

• Bobbybee

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:27 AM

Lesh, he’s wasting his time mate. 🙂 His knowledge of football is so minute he’s not worth an argument of any sort. Just another wum who can’t even get that much right. My son’s forgotten more about football than he’ll ever know in his sad little life – LOL 🙂 He only comes on here because he’s sad and lonely and basically pathetic.
    He’s been sussed by the real fans anyway. More and more keep telling him what a nob he is that I can just sit back and laugh at him. Which I do – frequently. 🙂 oh sorry – LOL.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:32 AM

Bobby,
    You’ve made your point clear about the Rafa situation. An article has just been published by probably the most reliable Nufc Web site whiten by someone who appears to have a friendship and good working relationship and it’s made people uneasy, who are you to accuse people of being weak and that we’d rather believe it was true. I’m personally desperate for it not to be true as I really can’t be arsed going forward with the same situation as we’ve had for the last ten years.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:34 AM

*with Rafa

• hibbit

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:46 AM

were at the point when Rafa has come out with the truth is he in or is he out ???
    the fans need to know the situation is now snowballing out of control and Rafa owes an explanation to the fans if he’s not getting the backing promised we should be told

• toontaff2

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:54 AM

Lord Hibbit, something’s not right, but there are still 7 weeks more of this to go!

• toontaff2

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:59 AM

Maybe Jacob Murphy could be the battle ground?
    Toon fan, chance of PL on improved wage.
    Norwich need cash and/or players – maybe offer them Murph/Darlow/Hanley?
    Rafa to Penfold ~ go get him, Tiger! 😎

• Bobbybee

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:02 AM

Jail, who am I? A blogger. It works like this. They give me stick, they should expect it back. You give out enough uncalled for stick on here, with jazzy being your latest target. I don’t need your permission to write on here. It’s not your blog, remember?
    Some of you are obsessed with Ashley. Have been forever and it’s boring now. Dragging up the past and repeating it ad nauseum isn’t moving the blog forward much. What is it now? Six or seven times we’ve been bombarded with ‘Rafa’ s walking’ days, yet, amazingly, he’s still here.
    Personally I’ll believe it when it happens, but I presume you’ve heard the story about the boy who cried wolf? If people keep repeating it every single day, then chances are they might be right one day.
    It’s as though they think nobody else is aware what a whopper Ashley is, that only they in their ultimate wisdom realise what a nob he is. Where would we be without their great understanding?
    Rafa’s not been here long, but like I say, seven times already the wise owls have guaranteed us he’s about to walk. It’s BOR-ING! If he does go, that’s when we deal with it. What do you suggest we do about it now then? Should we all boycott on the very slender chance that he might leave?
    Nobody on here wants him to leave… or do they?
    This desperate attempt to be right for once is nauseating. Every day we get the same shyte from the same people. These great minds who know for a fact how Rafa hates Ashley and is in a constant fight with him, when from what I can gather, they actually get on well.
    Ashley is a whopper mate. Nobody will deny it, but because I’m not obsessed like some, I take it as I find it.
    If Rafa walks because of Ashley, then we can address it then, but right now they’re all working towards the same goal. What exactly do people want us to do about their obsession? Throw away our ST’s on the minute chance they might be right?
    There’s a long time before the season starts. Even longer before the window shuts. Until then, I’m prepared to wait and see. There’s NOTHING any of us can do, working on their belief that he’s s about to walk. Is there? Can you suggest anything?

• hibbit

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:10 AM

“war and peace”

• magscar

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:11 AM

Jail

Have to admit I am a little uneasy at Martin Hardy’s article for the reasons you state. Couple of things do occur though, I read NUFC.com everyday and respect their viewpoints but I have purchased all 3 of his books through the site and they have come from Biffa. So if sales of latest are slow might this help draw attention to the book?? Bit surprised if Martin has simply regurgitated other journalists scribbles though. Although his references to the more likely of the interminable list of targets is Abraham’s and Reina are a little economical with the truth of those sagas!

May be the closer relationship when writing the book last season isn’t there now? Maybe Rafa is being wily and Martin is reading the runes wrong or is being slightly played? Maybe he is simply helping and using his previous rapport to galvanise the transfer strategy?

It is disconcerting as I tend to take more note of only 2 Journalists him and George Caulkin. Hopefully it is simply a reflection of the irritation with how slow things are moving and no more than that.

Not expecting Club statements or such as that is not their way – no comments on all speculation. Rafa himself won’t want to be drawn into commenting either but perhaps press conference before Hearts game might lead to some clarification?

Our history under Ashley is full of own goals but I can’t see him making what would be a catastrophic error this time. I think he wanted KK to stay (on his terms maybe) but Llambias was the prat doing most of the day to day talking back then. Clearer communication seems to be possible this time if Rafa wanted.

Maybe his new man in tidying up club for sale or more likely investment is slowing down if not totally frustrating some purchases? On balance I stay with the ridiculous state of the market and inability to shift out those we need off the books as being the underlying cause of all this speculation and frustration.

• Bobbybee

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:11 AM

Hibbett, he gave us one the other day. He said that the entire club is working towards making signatures a possibility. He’s planning for the future without even the slightest hint he’s ready to walk. I doubt he has time to come on here and read these conspiracy theories and less time to comfort those in need.
    He’s got a job to do, made even harder by the fact that prices are ridiculous. Why people can’t just let him get on with his job is beyond me.
    Seven times now mate. Seven times those in the know have assured us he’s on his way. Not happened. Not likely to either. He’s under contract and was happy with what he’s got. He simply can’t come out every single day and say ‘today, I am not leaving the club’. Nor should he have to. He’s got far more important things to do with his time.

• toontaff2

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:13 AM

Peace will not be breaking oot here, any time soon.

• Jack Root

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:18 AM

Jail, did you not say ” there’s been no doom and gloom from me this summer”. What! Since your sabbatical you’ve been all over the place. Just get a grip man!

Or go away and leave it to those with a more measured contribution. Just leave the blog to Bobby and those fans who don’t go into a major flap with every negative comment in the media. A statement from Nufc would be appropriate but Newcastle rarely keep fans updated. it’s not the way they operate. Keep calm.

• toontaff2

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:22 AM

Maybe a Rafa Bingo for tomorrow night?
    Krul

Yedlin LAscalles Mbemba Dummett
    Hayden Shelvey
    Ritchie Perez Gayle
    Mitro

• hibbit

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:24 AM

bobby i admire your blind faith but the unrest is spreading
    not sure where you get this 7 times statement from people in the know , but if Rafa or anybody else has made them it’s obviously not been made clear enough and the unrest is still spreading
    he needs to kill it now to stop all this rubbish he owes the fans that much

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:27 AM

Hibbit and toomtaff2 I think you’s two know where going to get f@ck over again Ashley does not want to back rafa but I see everybodys at each other’s throats instead of standing as one against the fat twat Ashley.