web analytics

Breaking News – Javier Manquillo In Dublin Having A Medical

News in the Chronicle coming through is that as well as Jacob Murphy undergoing a medical at Carton House in Dublin, so it Javier Manquillo of Atletico Madrid who only today has been linked with Newcastle wanting to sign him.

There was news that broke only this morning that Newcastle were very close to signing Atletico Madrid right-back Javier Manquillo and this could be the second time in two summers we have signed an Atletico full-back after signing Jesus Gamez last summer.

Well, it looks like the report in Mundo Deportivo today which says Javier will sign for three seasons is all true, because Lee Ryder of the Chronicle is now reporting Javier is now in Dublin to undergo his medical.

Well – would you believe it – we could get two players through the door in one day.

The report was that Rafa Benitez had been key to the move and the 23 year-old was on loan at Sunderland last season where he played 22 times with one goal for the Black Cats.

The pace is picking up on recruitment at Newcastle and that’s great!

No news on how much we will pay for him but he has only one year left on his contract and it f we were to hazard a guess we’d say around £6M?

Wild guess.

Maybe?

How much do you think he would cost?

• c-dog

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:00 PM

Not a single bit of proven quality signed. How anyone could be optimistic right now as our squad stands about the upcoming season I have no idea. And these are Rafa signings – That’s a fact!

• ToonTime

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:02 PM

Sounds like you* must have watched Sunderland a lot last season to be able rate Manquillo. I personally have absolutely no knowledge of him!

Taking a look at the mackem forum’s they seemed to rate him and mostly blamed Moyes and their predicament for any shortcomings.

Seems he was only dropped after 20 appearances as they didn’t want to trigger a permanent deal they couldn’t afford in the championship.

I think everyone was pretty pleased the last time we got an ex mackem loanee in Yedlin. I’m sure Rafa has done his homework…

• GeordieTwo

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:03 PM

Give Shortstaff a chance lads. He’s not Belgian but you never know…….

• Jib

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:04 PM

Also
    please remember Lascelles had injury issues for half the season
    yet played through the pain barrier.
    He’s had corrective surgery
    and should be a perceptibly better performer this season.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:06 PM

I think we’re setting up nicely. We will need a very good striker in though and that will cost big. Possibly really, really big….

• toon kk

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:10 PM

Our toon
    Jail thinks because we have Rafa everything is hunky dory, He still needs the right player’s in. Every squad in the premier league apart from Huddersfield and Brighton are stronger atm.

• barkel

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:10 PM

Surprised we’re not in for Hernandez, £13million is cheap for him in todays market

• Bambams

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:11 PM

I am unsure about manquillo and I didn’t know anything about Murphy but a Norwich fan at work absolutely loves him !

This is our first season back, we ain’t going to be signing superstars but I do think we will break our transfer record.

Once we get ‘that keeper’ he wants and we know the price, I can see us spending £20+ million on a midfielder or striker.

It would help if we can get some funds from our ‘deadwood ‘ but even if we don’t get great fees it at least gets them off the wage bill.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:13 PM

What about taking a pot at Ishak Belfodil as a secondary striker? Probably 6-8M would get him. Not a bad scoring record. Would give Perez a run for his money…..

• kc2012

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:13 PM

C dog,

‘ Not a single bit of proven quality signed, And these are Rafa signings – That’s a fact! ‘….Well Maybe we should give them a chance to prove their quality then. I think Rafa is probably better at judging players and bringing them in than you are….Thats why i’am optimistic right now.

• Jib

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:20 PM

kc2012
    C dog,

Not Probably

Try

Assuredly
    Certainly
    Definitely
    Positively
    Undoubtedly

• Ron Knee

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:21 PM

The PNE friendly should be interesting!

• barkel

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:25 PM

Rolando made a good point about Clark and comparing the Manquillo signing, I think we’ll have to wait and see on this one. I think we’ve a decent enough squad, not quite there yet but not far off. All the teams outside last seasons top 7 are fairly even really, there was only 6points between 8th & 17th

• BenArfa the magician

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:25 PM

Looking at the Mackems forum they really don’t rate Manquillo at all. Seems a strange acquisition we have Yedders and Gamez at RB so to spend 6m on a covered position doesn’t make much sense to me.

• Jib

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:28 PM

For those that missed it yesterday
    The link below enables you to sign up for free to ifollow which is what
    our game v PNE is being shown on

• SPRINGY

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:29 PM

Never seen much of the unwashed last season…so al just give the lad a chance and see what he can do…. Wouldn’t trust there views on players tbh!lol

• SPRINGY

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:32 PM

I wonder if rafa see’s murphy as a potential number ten play maker,seems to have an eye for goal and a pass….just a thought?

• toon kk

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:33 PM

Rafa has probably forgotten more than most will ever know, but is all his signings his choice?? Maybe but there’s a buy to sell regime at the club so cirtain players will have to fall into that category.
    There was a mixture signed last season but that was for life in the championship.

• Markaccus

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:34 PM

BenArfa

I work with some mackems, and i was saying before that they think it was the way moyes played him that was the problem. Apparently he tackles well and is lightening quick.

• Bambams

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:35 PM

Springy

I hope that SDJ gets a chance at no 10 but I think you are right if this kid is as good as many think he could be a decent player at 10

Gayle looks as though he is going to be involved this season but still think we will bring in a new striker.

Rafa likes to rotate so who knows who will play where.

• kc2012

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:36 PM

Jib,

Exactly mate.

• hibbit

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:37 PM

makems arnt going to say they love him when he’s signing for us are they

• BenArfa the magician

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:41 PM

Hibbett

Not recent posts on him, from match days etc when he was actually playing for them.

Markaccus

That will do for me as backup mind Yedlin is one of my favourite players don’t want him being ousted.

• Markaccus

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:42 PM

I agree with Jail on last seasons transfer success rate….. heres an attempt to put it into numbers…
    first, lets drop Gamez from the 11, there is no way he played enough to pass judgement at all. 10 is easier to work with anyway

Deffo failures for me were Sels (or Dodgy McKeeperface) and Lazaar. -2
    Diame for me was 50/50, sometimes really good, but sometimes anonymous. – 0.5
    The rest for me did AT LEAST the job they were signed to do, and some did better than expected. They have to count as successes .
    So, 10-2.5=7.5. 75% success rate is fine by me.

• Markaccus

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:43 PM

BenArfa

Yeah I’d say if Yedlin is the starting RB, then this lad will be the back up. I’ll be fine with that. I’m reserving judgement until i see him kick a balll

• hibbit

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:47 PM

BenArfa the magician

just been reading through the posts myself and even Defoe is getting a slagging off on there,not sure its a good gauge considering the position they were in .
    bit like here on a match day the lunatics take over

• Belfast

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:49 PM

Sorry Toonkk but the likes of Watford, Burnley, West Brom etc don’t have better squads than us like. Some really shite teams stayed up quite comfortably last season.

• SPRINGY

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:50 PM

Bambams
    Aye would be good to see sdj get a run and show what he has to offer…the reason i mention murphy as a possible number 10 is people are saying we are only looking at wingers but this lad doesn’t really look like ya typical winger….i maybe wrong but could be interesting if he’s giving a try at playing off the main striker,but flexibility and creativity in the front 4 will only be good in the long run.

• BenArfa the magician

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:54 PM

Markaccus

He’ll be another sort of underwhelming signing but could turn out very good especially as he can can play LB as well 2 lightning quick full backs would make a nice change.

Hibbett

Oh yeah of course was hoping there may be a couple of good comments on their forums though, saying that as its a Mackem forum i’m shocked sentences were even used.

• BenArfa the magician

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:58 PM

Springy

Or Ritchie as number 10 and Murphy on the right, surely signing Atsu and Murphy both predominately RW along with Richie 1 would move inside? Ritchie would be my choice as he lacks pace for the wing but clever, works hard, great passer perfect for the 10?

• Markaccus

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:59 PM

Unexpected signings sometimes turn out great. In these situations, I always bring up Sibierski. When we signed him, everyone went “WTF?”, but then he turned out to be invaluable in our europa league run that year (well, uefa cup).

• Markaccus

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:01 PM

Ritchie has been used in the past as a 10 i believe. I’d still like us to sign a proper 10, though. Even if sdj stays fit, he won’t play every game.

• CornishMag

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:11 PM

New poster here, long time lurker. Just wanted to give my two cents – I’m quite shocked by the negativity in here. I’d like to direct people to look up the articles on the mag by a bloke under the name Travis Bickle – he’s pointed out on multiple occasions how successful promoted clubs have been in modern times, how strong the Championship is today. I strongly believe that the bottom 10 of the PL and the top 10 of the Championship are largely interchangeable, and such an expensively assembled, highly performing and well managed Championship squad would have no problem at all securing an 11-16 place finish without any real change in personnel.

Newcastle IS a different environment to most championship clubs due to the pressure of playing for such a huge club, but that was true last season as much as it will be next season – in fact, I believe the pressure will be off many of our lads next year since they won’t be expected to waltz to the title. I reckon with a year of Benitez management under their belts, a year of playing and succeeding together, and a year of dealing with the pressure of our fanbase, our players will be far more equipped to go out into the premier league and do just fine. I really don’t see many positions where we’re badly lacking, Striker and DM are the only areas I’d flag up but even in those areas we do have lads who can do a job at the bottom end of the PL.

None of the signings we’ve made has wowed me and I’d like to see a marquee signing as much as the next fan, but I think a lot of people here are strongly overestimating the quality of the weaker premier league teams. Add to that the fact that we’ve got a manager so much better than most bottom half PL teams, and I’m really not worried. Of course I’m ready to eat my words if either we horribly underperform and face a relegation battle, or if Rafa decides to walk and cites not getting the transfers he wanted, but I am happy to believe that Rafa sees Murphy, Manquillo and Lejeune as strong additions to the squad that give us quality, tactical options and depth in 3 different areas of the pitch. One or 2 more like them, and not losing any of our core star players, and I’d call it a successful transfer window, whatever the regular moaners say.

I really struggle to believe that some people enjoy football. You’re entitled to your opinions of course, but when you’re declaring the end of the world every month or 2, many of us start to blank you out and avoid the areas of football discussion where that kind of negativity breeds. Like I say, it’s entirely possible that I’m badly misreading the situation, in which case I will eat a major dose of humble pie, but for the time being I find it hard to take the end-is-nigh stuff seriously after the tantrums some people were throwing about us not getting automatic promotion, before we went and won the bloody title against a powerhouse of a Brighton team (who will also be entirely safe next season and I would be willing to bet their fans aren’t having the meltdown we are).

• custurd

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Is this the best NUFC can do? Where is the ambition? Why aren’t we trying to hijack Leicester’s bid for Man City’s Iheanacho? Given the ludicrous transfer fees this season, £25 million for a proven premier league goal-getter is nothing. We should be all over him!

• Jib

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:19 PM

BenArfa the magician
    2 lightning quick full backs would make a nice change.

Have you watched the Toon at all ?

Dummettt and Yedlin are like shit off of a shovel

• U.S Magpie

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:57 PM

Comment #13 Markaccus: God I hope so, yes your right he was playing out of position and for the Scum and all round every one of the squad looked like shite last season. Hopefully he will be that hidden Gem only Rafa understands and be a top signing.