web analytics

The Former Player Who Still Loves Newcastle United

Former midfielder Gini Wijnaldum has been interviewed by ESPN today and he has talked about his former club Newcastle United.

Gini was moved out last summer when Liverpool came in and met Newcastle’s asking price of £25M for him, which was over a £10M profit in one year after we had signed the playmaker for around £14M two years ago from PSV.

He was voted the Dutch player of the Year in the previous season as PSV won the Eredivisie.

But we always thought Gini – while never wanting to play in England’s second division – nevertheless conducted himself with professionalism and class last summer and he kept quiet about things until he was eventually sold.

Former Newcastle midfielder Gini Wijnaldum – now at Liverpool

That was unlike some other player who we will not mention, other than to say his first name is Moussa and his career is in the tank this summer.

🙂

Gini has done very well at Liverpool and in our opinion he was the really class player we lost due to relegation last summer.

This is what Gini has said about Newcastle United today to ESPN:

“Newcastle United are a club which is in my heart.” “They gave me the opportunity to play in the Premier League.”

“The fee was a lot of money at the time and a lot of clubs didn’t want to take the risk that they took.” “The people at the club and the fans treated me real good.

“I don’t have a bad word to say about Newcastle and I am happy that they are back in the Premier League where they belong.

“Will I get a good reception there? I don’t know.”

“I heard it won’t be great for me but I still love that club.”

“When I needed them, when I went there as a new signing, they supported me. I had a feeling they were happy I was there.”

“When a club like Liverpool come and give you the opportunity to play in the Premier League again…it’s one of the biggest clubs in the world so I didn’t think twice.”

“I wanted to make the transfer and I’m happy that I did.”

26 year-old Wijnaldum will likely be booed when he plays at St. James’ Park in the coming season, but when you are judging the person – Gini is a good man.

That’s our opinion.

• jimmysmith

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM

……..or the end of the transfer window.

• hibbit

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:28 AM

martoon

end of the window please a couple of players could make a huge difference to our points / placing in the league

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Mark,
    Rafa must have his eye on someone who’s higher up the list. Thank god for that!

• Jib

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Cough cough
    (raises eyes to ceiling)

hands Toontaff his coat

• lesh

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Markaccus @32

Oh yes, JFK…… Couldn’t believe what I was hearing on the radio, when he called TalkSport (I think), very pi$$Ed, to announce his appointment as DoF. He’d go on to dismiss Lambeezi as being no problem to his getting on with the job. Llambias resigned!

• martoon

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Guys – I can’t wait until the end of the window because that is not until the end of August and we’ll have played a few PL games by then – the idea is to predict just before the season kicks off!

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:32 AM

Shire

Yep, i’m so relieved. Such and average run of the mill cm, and for 25M!? I’d rather carry on signing “potential” than thow that much away on him.

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:35 AM

martoon

maybe say after last freindly, but allow people to change player based predictions to any new signings after the window closes.

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:35 AM

thow = throw*

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:36 AM

Martoon,
    Week before season begins mate will do me.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:39 AM

Mark,
    Definitely mate. May aswell go for Carvalho with a 30 mil bid.

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Shire

3 times the player for an extra 5M? thats just crazy talk 😀

• martoon

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:53 AM

Markaccus @49 – That sounds like a good idea to me – so after the friendly at home which will leave about a week and people can change their top goal scorer or player of the season to a new signing after that!

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:53 AM

Mark,
    Be nice to see one big signing

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:53 AM

That transfer panel is growing!! 🙂

• Ron Knee

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:54 AM

For what it’s worth:-

Aleksandar Mitrovic has been offered to Lyon, with Newcastle United wanting €18m for the player, according to Foot Mercato.

• hibbit

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:55 AM

martoon

just have to hope Rafa gets our game changers in sooner rather than later , still hoping for 2/3 more players with a bit of proven quality about them

• Jack Root

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:57 AM

martoon
    From earlier- ha ha. A bit like. The batsmen’s holding the bowlers willey.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:01 AM

Ideal scenario is:-

1) Get keeper situation sorted with either Reina or Adrian for 5M, please not Randolph.
    2) Make Carvalho top CM target 30M
    3) Make Batschuyai top striker target on loan

Charnley will most likely lose opportunities like the above due to wages and dithering etc, but we live in hope.

If we can lose Rivi, Lazaar, Colback to free up places it’s a bonus.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM

Evening Ron…any news on potential goalie and striker targets?

• Rotonda heights

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:03 AM

wasn’t there also a lilley caught willey bowled dilley or similar.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:04 AM

Ron

Can’t see lyon paying that but I’d be very happy

• Bambams

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:05 AM

I have noticed on Twitter the hammers fans are certainly backing Adrian. David Gold did a bit of a PR blunder ‘re Hart signing.

Obviously they rate Adrian very highly.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:06 AM

RH…that would be quite an upgrade on the transfers so far…would be surprised if that happened!

Listening to some of the Rafa interviews you get the impression we have problems attracting the quality we want? Or is it just me

• Ron Knee

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:08 AM

Afternoon jesper

I go here for rumours. 99% garbage, I’m afraid!

• Mister Tuff

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:08 AM

Urrrrggghhh. I think if some want to talk about holding another mans tadger – please not on here. I understand there are sites that cater for those interested in such practices.

• Phil K

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:08 AM

He was worse than Sissoko. Definately. But he did NOT conduct himself with class. He didn’t produce away when we needed him and lost interest towards the end. At least Townsend put the effort in. (Although his current bald, bearded “Fresh from the ISIS recruitment poster” look is off putting)
    I believe he’s preparing the way for an unpleasant DESERVED negative reception

• Ron Knee

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:09 AM

RH

Mitro has his defenders on this blog but I’m not one of them!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:10 AM

jesper
    I think one of our biggest problems is our location –
    i) up North miles away from London or Manchester or nearby where it seems most of the players want to play.

• Phil K

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:11 AM

That should have been WASN’T as bad as Sissoko – trying to talk to wife while typing

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:16 AM

Charlie…London has a pull no doubt and understandably…especially to players with family. Even to a footballer there’s other important thing in life. But it’s not impossible to attract great players to Newcastle don’t even think that for a minute…especially young players who haven’t started a family yet.

• Legolas

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:16 AM

Jesper,

Don’t think it’s a problem attracting players. More to do with money in my opinion. I think we do have funds to spend but when s club is asking for 25 million for a player (James Mc)that doesn’t even make their team then there is a problem. The worst thing about it he is no better than what we have.

I was listening to talksport the other day and they were saying that a 20 million player is the same as a £750,000 a few years ago. The mind boggles.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:17 AM

Ron…if a rumour floats around enough their’s usually something to it…it seems clubs do their business in the media these days

• Ron Knee

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:18 AM

From the horse’s mouth:-

“We are not signing top-class players in the Premier League, we are signing the players we can and the players who can do a job for us.”

• Jack Root

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Leicester looking to sell Slimani to buy Iheanacho. Tv money due by end of month are we in the market for someone who wants to join us at a £ 20 million + price.
    Slimani 7 goals in 23 last season for a relatively underperforming Leicester.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:21 AM

Legolas…I agree! and personally I think we are looking at the wrong players (if these rumoured links are to be true). There has been plenty of good buys to be made so far this window – but for some reason we haven’t been interested.

We have to keep in mind though that even though English players are vastly overpriced it’s a two way street – you pay over the price, but you also get sell at a much higher price. For me it’s not a gamble buying the right English players – far from actually.

• Jib

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:22 AM

I honestly believe that Tuff doesn’t realise that it’s

“The batman’s Holding
    The bowler’s Willey”

Watch the dope will come on now and say “of course I did ”

What a berk
    😀

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:23 AM

Ron #75…that was exactly my concern if you read my post #65

• john tudor

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:25 AM

and jib was watching lol