web analytics

Newcastle Team Photo For Season Released – One Player Missing

The team photo for Newcastle United for this season has finally been released, and there are 26 players in the squad.

And as we looked through the players one player is missing – local lad Jack Colback.

Rafa has mentioned that Jack knew the score if he stayed at Newcastle this season.

And it seems the manager will leave Jack out in the cold until January rolls around when he can be sold or loaned out.

Jack annoyed Rafa when he refused to join the first team training during the summer to make the numbers up when some players were out.

Rafa will not have him part of the training presumably because his attitude is not right.

Newcastle United first team squad – 2017-2018

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Newcastle have the NBC documentary on Newcastle that was shown over here before last week’s game with Brighton – there was one on Brighton too.

It shows Newcastle in very good light and especially our fans – a definite must watch!

Here it is.

Howay The Lads!!

• tommotoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:49 PM

jail the loss against brighton may be a blessing in disguise teams can get over confident and it might have brought them back down to earth enough to gee them up even further against liverpool we all knew we were going to lose eventually after3 wins off the trot so its out of the way now and hopefully beat liverpool and have a mini winning run again December being our big test

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:51 PM

Jane been at her hubby’s white lightning?
    🙂

• GeordieTwo

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:52 PM

Having a bad day Jib/Jane/Jeff? My, my it’s very sad for you, having to try to act like an adult and failing miserably. The strain must be enormous. Why don’t you have mummy take you out for a walk in the pram?

• Lindisfarne

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:54 PM

I might fancy our chances if we were playing Everton this weekend, rather than Liverpool, however we do seem to struggle more against teams we would be considered favourites to beat.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:55 PM

I wonder at what level Dummett would find himself playing should ever sell him…

…to me he’s just another Simpson or Perch

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:56 PM

sitc,
    I brought him up because people seem to suggest it’s local lads that are made scapegoats, I don’t believe that for one minute. Were Steve Watson or Howey ever criticised, Beardsley or Gazza, before social media I know but nothing to do with them being local, Williamson and Simpson weren’t local but were the boo boys of the time. Colback raised his finger to his lips to the Gallowgate after scoring for the mackems, reportedly wanted to join West Ham just after signing for us, never really played particularly well when here and scored one goal, does anyone wonder why people never took a shine to him. If Tiote, had have had his head right last year Wearside Jack wouldn’t have been anywhere near the first team last year either.

• jane

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:57 PM

it was sensible football discussion before you came G2. can’t see how others can’t see it.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:00 PM

Maybe so Jane, but it was quite an aggressive response. Hence I wondered if you’d been on the sherries.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:01 PM

Jesper,
    Simpson is probably the worst example of a footballer you could compare Dummet to considering he owns a PL medal and played in the QF of a CL last year!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:03 PM

jane
    I skip G2’s posts, they’re inoffensive and rarely provoke argument, except from Jib….

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:10 PM

Jail
    I think it’s fair to compare Dummett and Simpson; two full backs who played for us, good defenders, poor going forward and get dogs abuse on here. I’d say Simpson is a little better with the ball. I’m with you on the upgrade idea, and Dummet is definitely a player I’d like to upgrade. I respect he is a very good defender and a replacement may not be as good defensively, but full back is such an important attacking position these days and they see a lot of the ball, so having one that is scared of a football is not a good idea IMO.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:12 PM

It was Lascelles marking the Brighton player that got a free header at the back post. Lascelles got caught ball watching whilst his man found space. I’m not a huge fan of Lascelles, but I think he has done a lot more right defensively than wrong this season. We can compare him with Terry at a similar age, but let’s be honest, Terry was one of the best in his generation. I doubt anybody thinks Lascelles is anywhere near that. Terry was better, Maradona was better than Aguero at any age, is Aguero rubbish?

I’d agree with Catchy he has cost us this season, but he has also saved us on other occasions. To put him down as third best centre half would have required the person to have watched Lejeune extensively last year – unlikely. To put him down as fourth is vastly overrating Mbemba and overlooking the more frequent lapses Mbemba has in comparison.

Until proved otherwise, he is surely a starter in our best defence.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:17 PM

Simpson is a better player than Dummett, but Dummett, like Simpson, gets more stick than he deserves because people look more at the offensive side than his defensive attributes. Both are solid if unspectacular. Both did/do a job for us that often goes overlooked. Dummett could be upgraded, but for where we are, is a good option.

• Tsunki

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:21 PM

Jane works up a head of steam as an informed yet succinct observer only to descend into petty remarks and the erroneous statement that this is a football blog. Seems that “she” makes the same mistakes as jib in that regard.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:21 PM

Chancel,
    Given we are a newly promoted side, surely we are better off being solid and having solid defensive fullbacks rather than leaving us more open defensively?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:24 PM

Lilongwe,
    While you’re about, you often mention that Rafa shouldn’t be given a free reign, whether playing devils advocate or not have suggested he’s not to be trusted in the transfer market and would be better working under a DoF. Given that our upper management, in many different guises over the last ten years have employed Dennis Wise, Derek Llambias, JfK (twice), have given Alan Pardew an eight year deal and described Steve Mclaren as a perfect match for Newcastle United, who do you think is even remotely qualified to shortlist and employ said DoF. Apart from Rafa of course?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:28 PM

Jail,
    Colback only scored 1 goal? 5 in 87 games, hardly world class, but far from a disgrace for a fairly defensive minded player….

• Pitmatic

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:35 PM

By the time we play Crystal Palace in a few weeks they’ll almost certainly still be pointless, and quite likely goalless (their next two games are Man Utd away and Chelsea at home). That should be a good thing, but it’s already giving me the shivers. I think we all know what happens next…

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:38 PM

Jail,
    Because our upper management have employed sub par people in the past, then there is nobody in global football that would be a suitable DoF? Did our upper management not also appoint Rafa? What makes you think that they couldn’t appoint someone suitably well qualified to the DoF position if they so wished?

Rafa hasn’t got a stellar record anywhere in the transfer market. Nobody gets it right all the time, and when your attention is torn between numerous different aspects of the club, then it makes it harder to get it right as often as you desired. Rafa relies on a huge team of scouts and contacts. Is it best that Rafa oversees them all and takes away from other time where he could be working on other aspects of on field performance?

Guardiola has other people dealing with transfers to concentrate on coaching. Ferguson stepped back from coaching to look at other aspects and left day to day coaching to others. Mourinho gives others free license to develop profiles on the upcoming opposition. No manager does it all, not even the best of them. Why do you think Rafa should be overseeing it all, can he do it all to the best of his ability when spread so thinly?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:39 PM

Pitmatic,
    We gave Derby their first win during their record setting season, I hope Palace have nicked something before we play them….

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:42 PM

Lilogwe
    Yes, solid defensive full backs are good, but when moving from defence to attack, I feel Dummett slows/stops this, and I wonder how mant opportunities to score on the break are thwarted by this. I could be wrong, but I remember reading a stat that fullbacks have the highest amount of possession of any position. So I was speculating that what he offers in defence is negated somewhat by his lack of comfort with the ball. I’d say since Dummetts injury, we are less solid in LB defence, but we attack a lot more down that flank than when he’s in the team. Who’s to say if that make us easier/harder to beat.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:50 PM

Chancel,
    I agree, Dummett at left back hampers us offensively. I’m not sure it is fair arguing since he was out this season we attack better down the left, that is more to do with Joselu and our play not being restricted to Gayle running behind. We build play better without Gayle, which allows our other players to get further forward. I’m not a huge fan of Dummet, but he serves a purpose for a club in our position and with a manager that builds upon a strong back line.

If we were breathing down the necks of the top 6, Dummett wouldn’t be anywhere near good enough, we aren’t though, we are a mid to lower table side at the minute, and he is definitely capable of doing that.

• Tsunki

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:55 PM

Given that our glorious benefactor has somehow managed to find a way to secure the services of Sr. Benitez after a long trawl through the second hand coach market, I think it’s highly infeasible that he will somehow climb to the heights of hiring a superlative DoF. Never going to happen. Never. So put it out of your mind.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:02 AM

Tsunki,
    I never said it would happen, it’s unlikely because it would be another step forward, and another argumentative so and so telling Ashley to spend his money. That doesn’t make it the wrong decision or not the best option. We’ve rarely gone for the best option under Ashley, why is allegedly giving Rafa full control the best option?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:04 AM

Tsunki,
    On a separate note, glad to see your still around after the odd and misplaced allegations. I had a brief visit without commenting around that time, and saw you said you’d walk away to let him keep posting….. pleased to see that never came to pass.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:04 AM

*you’re

• Tsunki

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:11 AM

Lilo the offer was if bobby came back I would stand aside but he hasn’t. If he does though the offer still stands.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:17 AM

Tsunki,
    You’d be missed – not by everyone, I’m sure, but….

Given someone posted one of the posts you were accused of saying that was by someone else, I’d hope that it needn’t come to leaving….

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:33 AM

I often wonder how many people actually watch players in matches.

Firstly Dummet does contribute to attacks, he will and does get down the wing and support team mates and he does put in some good crosses when the opportunity occurs.

Secondly we were not outplayed in the Brighton game, we could easily have won it and if we had then a lot of the negative stuff wouldn’t be as abundant as it currently is.

We’ve not been outplayed in any games this season in the EPL, not even the Spurs one, it’s no accident we are not conceding many goals. Chances are that we’ll lose a few to 1-0 scorelines but I reckon we’ll win at least as many with low scores, which is all we really want this season.

• expatmag

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:03 AM

Been reading a few points on here and it shows just how many posters have little knowledge about foitball when commenting on players.

Furthetmore, the circumstances around decision making at the club cannot be insightful for certain posters making ridiculously innaccurare comments.

On Lascelles:

The lad is a stalwart and to criticise him as being ordinary just displays some posters lack of football knowledge. He is 23, the youngest club captain in the PL and possibly in european football. He is a leader, an organiser and potentially, a future England international and captain. I said a couple of days ago that I have been more impressed with him at centre back than I have been with McGuire (Leicester) and Keane (Burnley) who are currently in the England squad yet plying their trades for more established PL clubs that are leaking goals at the back.

Factor in his performances with Mbemba in the last few games of the relegation season, his appointment, leadership and willingness to play whilst injured last season to ensure automatic promotion and his performances so far this season show his value to the club.

How many of you remember Chelsea offering NUFC 17 million quid for Lascelles a couple of years ago?

On Dummett

This lad is a consistently good defender who, as a local.lad, is unfairly disparaged by those nuggets who think they know better. The lad nay not be the best going forward but whilst sprnding most of his career as a left back, his primary position is as a centre back. He is quick and defensively astute and black and white through and through.

On Colback

Obviously there appears to be more that has gone on behind the scenes but I feel it is unprofessional and unwarranted to preclude this lad from senior squad training and the squad photograph. Colback could quite possibly have grounds for bullying depending on circumstances.

• chicousa

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:14 AM

Two thoughts or questions re: this Sunday’s match-

It will be interesting to see how our LB does against Mohamed Salah. That lad is freakin’ fast / quick. I have a lot of respect for Mbemba, but that little Egyptian will be a tough one to handle! I bet Dummett is OK with missing this week! 🙂

The second thing I am wondering is if Rafa brings Mitro back into the squad. I definitely do not think he will start, but will be interesting to see if he is even on the bench and whether he comes on as a sub. I am still expecting good things from the big Serb, who absolutely has to stop doing stupid things, and I hope he starts playing the way a few of us think he is capable of playing…

• chicousa

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:24 AM

Re: who plays the #10 role for us-

I have read most of the ideas about using Shelvey there, Merino there, Ritchie there, Joselu there, even using Aaron’s or Atsu in the 10 spot! What is interesting is the lack of calls to have the player who actually wears the number 10 shirt, play there!!! How did Diame get assigned the number 10 FFS?!!! 😀

• toontaff2

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:35 AM

Well done the nightshift! Excellent football discussions! Unfortunately, I am usually in the sack early, due to the early kick offs! Mind, the days I am not are often beer fuelled, so I avoid commenting!
    Mind I have been accused of ruining the blog!
    Despair had set in. But after the nightshift’s great effort we managed to beat the previous 24 hours, with 199 comments!
    Noted, we still have the multiple conspiracy rearing it’s heed!

• cyprus

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:36 AM

Predicted 5-0 last night. Couldn’t be more wrong. Apollon were actually better than Everton. Comes to tell you: confidence and belief.

That’s how we must play Liverpool.

BTW, hadn’t realised how disjointed Everton are. A young kid in the middle, a lb beyond his best, no CF, slow MF.

• toontaff2

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:45 AM

As ‘Rafa’s mouthpiece’, I concur with expat/Chancel/Lillongwe on both Dummett and Lascalles. Unfortunately, I am not able to communicate his thoughts on poor Jack!
    Unlike our ‘superfan’ (30/199 ~a lowly 15% ~ can do better, but retains the cap), I get sickened by our players, Dummett, Colback, Perez, young Murphy – constantly slated – I just remember that banner, along the lines of us Toon fans not demanding a winning team, but a team that tries. Even with my limited knowledge/ability of tactics/formations I can certainly say it’s a long time since I’ve seen such a committed group of players. Long may it continue!

• chicousa

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:50 AM

toontaff2
    Yeah, one thing you can say about this squad, they all put in an honest shift! Also the fact that no player on this squad is talking about playing for a “big team” or playing for a Champions League team is so refreshing! All hail Rafa for bringing in players who want to be here!

• toontaff2

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:55 AM

Final caffeine induced thought.
    This multiple carry on really has been done to death – it really is petty – I’m sure it’s up to ED to sort it out, if it is occurring and causing issues. JIB is apparently being moderated, so hard to see him also being Jane.
    I do hope BobbyBee returns – his football input is clearly missed. I also enjoy Tsunki’s comments, so it would be good if there was a solution that does not involve either not posting.

• chicousa

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:10 AM

Bobbybee come back! Tsunki stay! As Rodney King once asked: “Can’t we all get along?”

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:27 AM

Lilongwe,
    You stealthily avoided my question. Who, in upper management apart from Rafa would be qualified to interview and choose a Dog for Rafa to work with. I’d be happy for him to work with one if Rafa was allowed to choose him, but would not be giving him free reign as well.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:40 AM

Ha ha, a DoF, if it were left to Churnley to choose his dog, by the time he agreed the price it wouldn’t be a puppy anymore