web analytics

The Signing of Ki Could Indicate Changes Coming At Newcastle

Ki Sung-yueng has been brought in by Rafa to replace Mikel Merino who will leave Newcastle soon for Real Sociedad for around £11M.

Mikel grew discontent on Tyneside this year when he couldn’t make the first team with Mo Diame and Jonjo Shelvey in outstanding form in the middle of the Park for Newcastle.

But that’s getting to be a pattern, with the 21-year-old leaving Borussia Dortmund last summer because he didn’t get enough playing time there either.

Ki in action for Swansea

The signing of Ki is a good one and the South Korean captain is an accomplished and experienced player.

There’s a very good piece on the Premier League website from Adrian Clarke and why Ki could become a key player for Newcastle:

“Rafael Benitez’s preference for a counter-attacking strategy for Newcastle United last season was understandable.”

“Newcastle’s three most impressive victories came in matches where they saw little of the ball.”

“At home they beat Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea with shares of possession totaling 35.9%, 28.2% and 41.9% respectively.”

“It would ease the load on their defence if they took greater care in possession of the ball.”

“Newcastle’s players too often handed the initiative back to their opponents, sometimes through forcing a forward pass that was not on or by losing the ball cheaply.”

“The signing of Ki Sung-yueng is perhaps an indication of change.”

“”At Swansea City last season Ki boasted a pass accuracy of 88%, with an 83% success rate in the opposition half.”

“These figures were far superior to Benitez’s central midfielders last season.”

“And Ki’s calming presence will give the side added comfort in possession.”

What tells us that Rafa knew all about those stats on Ki before he signed him?

As we said Ki could become a key player for us next season – excuse the pun.

• Tsunki

Jul 8, 2018 at 5:56 PM

Munster I think we can take from Bobby’s response that he just doesn’t like the look of the dude.

• Tsunki

Jul 8, 2018 at 5:57 PM

….and we are back! Hooray!

• Bobbybee

Jul 8, 2018 at 5:59 PM

Munster, you asked me before and I explained before. Go check. If you ask a phucking question, then at least be reasonable enough to find the answer when someone has the decency to reply. Then I wouldn’t need to repeat myself. Don’t be bitter sweetheart.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 8, 2018 at 5:59 PM

Loan move for kenedy is good in the sense that it allows the transfer funds (however little) can be used for other areas. However, I read a bit this week that Chelsea only open to loaning out again if we agree to buy afterward. Suooosedky it’s either buy now for about £20m+ or loan nd buy next summer for £30m.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:00 PM

Supposedly that’s meant to say.

• Tsunki

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:01 PM

So that nice Mr Southgate seems a lovely man. Nice three piece suits and a clean shirt every day. Plus that nose provides lots of shade for migrating birds.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:01 PM

Haha…look at Tsunki isn’t he just funny! Ha ha

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:02 PM

Bobby…..Southgate, ditto all the points you raised and the well considered and reasoned fact that I just don’t like his face.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:02 PM

Say some more Tsunki we are all listening! All the people are at your feet…I am not even kidding you know 😉

• Tsunki

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:02 PM

Suooosedky you aren’t using a speelchikkr. 🙂

No neethir.

• Bobbybee

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:02 PM

Munster, AND I ALREADY TOLD YOU WHY THE LAST TIME YOU ASKED. If you ask a question, at least look for the reply, then I wouldn’t have to repeat myself, would I? Not that it’s any of your business, but I replied anyway. I won’t bother next time smart arse.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:03 PM

Can’t help it.

• Tsunki

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:04 PM

You are weird Jesper. I’m sure you’re automated. You remind me me of that interview with Jeeves of the Ask Jeeves Search engine years ago.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:04 PM

ronaldo…whether we buy now or at the end of the window the money are the same!

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:05 PM

Tsunki….re Spearchucker. Had to use Word at work and Spillchicker used to alter my buddy Derek’s name to diarrhoeic. I stopped correcting it in the end.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:06 PM

Good for you Tsunki now I’ll be stepping away from you! Moving slightly away and please don’t follow you have a horrible aurora about you…don’t want to be pulled down to your level…

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:06 PM

I like his waistcoat, I bought one last year for the Northumberland plate, Hugo Boss, better than his, his is from Marks and Spencer.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:08 PM

Jesper
    Not by the reports I read and I did mention it on here earlier this week.

• Bobbybee

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:08 PM

Oh, it did post first time. Ed, your machine lied to me 🙂 Not to worry, the message is the same.

Tosun, glad you agree mate. 🙂 Sometimes you come across people you simply don’t like. Then something happens that just reaffirms that feeling. Didn’t think it mattered why I dislike him, i just do. His explanation for not taking Jonjo smacks of FA interference imo and I just hope it doesn’t cost us going forward.

• Ron Knee

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:09 PM

Lee Ryder

#nufc sources suggesting that no deal for Kenedy done just yet but the talks are ongoing. Close to the top of the wanted list. Maurizio Sarri appointment should see some progress on loan deal.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:09 PM

Jesper,
    PND in men is not uncommon.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:09 PM

If Kenedy is coming here I hope it’s on a transfer which leave room for us to loan another player at Chelsea…Loftus would be a great deal!

• Munster Mag

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:09 PM

Jail stop lying. For once. I questioned Rafa’s tactics in SOME games, mainly in the relegation battle and start of promotion season. If you don’t like that tough shit. Last year he was fantastic but u ignore all positive comments I have made on that manager. Largely because you aren’t the brightest. I questioned SOME of his signings, yet u make out I think he doesn’t do transfers well. So u ignored my comments re merino, diame for example. I said arsenal fans wudnt want him (correctly I reckon) because they want all flair flair flair. But I think it’s an accurate reflection of them. If I said riot, I was exaggerating u halfwit. I made no comment that all his previous clubs hated him (Liverpool fans love him but some I know found his bingo annoying ). I have no idea re napoli etc. I never thought Madrid was a good match for him. Nor did many others. These are minor issues but u can’t let it go. I have said many times that Rafa is perfect for us and his unifying personality and contact in the market and counter attacking style is perfect for us. I hope he is here for years. But I do think think it will happen. Is that clear enough for you Jail? I might even get to meet the great man in Kildale but its way off my track work and travel wise. Viva Rafa.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:10 PM

Can you imagine the first time we see Salmon step on the field for us with Pencilcock and Gristle? I certainly can! We’ll be magnificent!!! Huzzah!! And no, I’m not a bot from Thailand Tsunki!

• Tsunki

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:11 PM

Jesper I think I do have an Aurora about me. You do too.

Aurora Bore-alis.

😉

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:12 PM

Jail…no one are saying it is…you shouldn’t feel less manly because of that. But honestly no one are asking you to shate…definitely not me!

I’ll be moving away from you now to Jail…please don’t follow I am really not interested!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:12 PM

• Tsunki

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:13 PM

Tosun @55 yeah it wears you down in the end. 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:14 PM

GT…it will be another great buy by Rafa! First Joselu and then Slimani. Didn’t think a third one was possible…

• Tsunki

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:14 PM

Jail don’t you dare shate! Theres definitely a blog rule about that! 🙂

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:15 PM

When are the big transfer moves coming for us? Have we got any money for anybody yet? Merino? Mbemba? Ike Turner? Tina Turner? Where and when is the money coming? We need money! Pull your finger oot Chutney! Get these players sold and more, much more!

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:15 PM

I’d prefer a permanent transfer to us obviously but I don’t see it while rafa’s future is still up in the air. If we sign him on loan again, no doubt it will be celebrated but I think it’s a sad state of affairs how far we have fallen.

• Tsunki

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:16 PM

*BOOM* “JOSELU” *BANG* “SLIMANIIIIIIIII”!!!!!!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:18 PM

Jail…you have to give credit to some of what Munster is writing…you’re not the brightest!

…not even you can contest that surely 😉

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:19 PM

Negative on that Rolando mate! We aren’t falling.. We’re negatively rising! It’s like Nixon and non denial denials or Donnie Trump and fake news! We will positively impact wor league standing in a downward sense next season. Huzzah!!!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:19 PM

ronaldo…I fear if it’s a loan deal then it’s not with an option to buy…

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:20 PM

Who’s our rock??? Pencilcock!!!

• Belfast

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:21 PM

It’s been a messy divorce Tsunki and Jesper.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:21 PM

It’s going to be a loan deal with an option to find another loan deal the following season lads. Oh, and when Kenedy is 35 we will put a bid in for him. It’s so exciting, this time of year…

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:22 PM

Jail/Tsunki…you two are so cute together in a manly way (of course)

…almost finishing each other’s sentences 😉 lol