web analytics

Newcastle Complete First Outgoing Transfer – A Lot More To Come

Mikel Merino has finally completed his transfer To Real Sociedad which is only 50 miles from where he grew up in Spain in his hometown of Pamplona.

Sociedad triggered the release clause in his contract of £10M and there was little Newcastle could do about it since he said he wanted to leave the club after only one year on Tyneside.

He had the same kind of release clause in his contract at Borussia Dortmund before Newcastle triggered that last summer to bring him to Newcastle for about £6M.

Mikel Merino – after scoring his only goal for Newcastle – against Crystal Palace

Rafa Benitez has explained Mikel and his agents insisted on that clause at the two big clubs (Borussia Dortmund and Newcastle) in case he didn’t get enough playing time and he could leave.

We doubt he has that clause in his contract at Sociedad where he’s likely to be their star player.

This is what the 21-year-old gifted player said after being unveiled as a Real Sociedad player:

“I am very happy and very happy to play in a club that I love and one that I have followed since I was a child.”

“It’s very close to Osasuna.” “I am delighted to be here and looking forward to playing the ball.”

“It’s a very nice project, with the change of the stadium and everything is good with the group.”

“The fans here have spoken so well to me and being back to being close to home is important.”

“I am feeling integrated.” “All of them have been important factors and I think I have made a good decision.”

“I want to grow and help the team grow.” “We can improve and aspire to higher levels.”

“I hope it’s a beautiful season.”

Real Sociedad finished only 12th in La Liga last season with 49 points from their 38 games.

Sociedad will be looking to do a lot better next season with Merino running their midfield.

So this is the first transfer we have done that gets Newcastle some money into the club.

And there’s more to come with the likes of Mitrovic, Mbemba, Colback, Aarons, Armstrong, and others expected to leave Newcastle for fees this summer.

We are sorry to see Mikel leave Newcastle but we wish him the very best in what should be an excellent career for him.

The 21-year-old certainly has the potential to become a top player.

• RobLeenio

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:54 PM

I’m not sure why no surrender to the IRA was being chanted last night but surely it’s jingoistic not discriminatory. It’s a hangover from the days of nationalist

• RobLeenio

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:56 PM

Oops I’ll carry on.

Nationalist influence at football matches and surely isn’t offensive. inflammatory in certain circumstances but not in Russia vs Croatia

I’d be interested to hear the thoughts of our Irish contingent

• welshgeordie9

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:57 PM

Some rumours going around that we want Gini back.

• Jib

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:57 PM

Lesh I’m awfully pleased you didn’t post a link
    That article is a load of pony

It could be construed as defamatory
    I went straight to SD’s site and The Mag
    is totally wrong.

They are such idiots at the Mag that it may
    be a genuine mistake but if Ashley gets his
    legal eagles on it and feels vindictive he could
    conceivably shut the site down.

Thank gawd you didn’t get Ed involved by association

• DubaiMicky

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:58 PM

Sadly Blair surrendered to the IRA many years ago with the Good Friday Agreement – along with his chum Clinton – bot should be tried as war criminals.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:59 PM

Lesh – I suspect he (SD) are screwing Toon fans for their shirts. As far as I am aware a specific breakdown about sales of Toon shirts is not obvious in the accounts.
    However, judging by his practicers we do know about Rangers only get 7p in the pound for their shirt sales from SD, which is robbery by anyones definition.
    I can only assume he operates similar practices at SJP. He has all the Toon logos/trademarks tied up – I reckon he’s robbing the club.

• Jib

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:02 PM

Mr Tuff
    SSShhhh you prat
    Don’t post unfounded suspicions on
    an open blog you berk.

• AncientC

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:08 PM

The Good Friday Agreement is a war crime lol. That’s a new one.

• Jib

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:10 PM

For once I find myself agreeing with Ancient
    and seeing Dubai Micky in a totally new light

• AncientC

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:13 PM

How much do you reckon Wijnaldum would be going for, £40 million-ish? I think most would have him back in a heartbeat, shame it’s a dubious rumour.

• AncientC

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:19 PM

http://www.football-observatory.com/-values-15489 CIES have Wijnaldum valued at 80 million Euros. That’s that, then.

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:26 PM

Son just came and said how the hell has seri signed for fulham he’s unreal when rome and Barcelona were after him.

• BenbulbenMag

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:27 PM

Would take Gini back in a heartbeat but I’d doubt we could afford anything like what Liverpool would want for him. Surprised a Turkish side could afford it either.

• Jib

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:27 PM

Transfermarkt have Wijnaldum’s current value at
    £27M with his contract until 30 June 2021 when he’ll
    be 30

However I doubt we’d pay that

• Jib

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:32 PM

Fulham is owned by Shahid Khan who’s worth
    $7.4Billion and owns Jacksonville Jags NFL team
    He tried to buy Wembley for £900M in Spring

• AncientC

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:40 PM

Transfermarkt appears to undervalue players quite often, they have Mbappe valued at £108 million, whereas he would likely go for double that right now. That is a big differential.

80 million Euros for Wijnaldum does seem high, but I’d bet CIES are closer to his value than Transfermarkt.

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2017/230/en/ The top 100 valuations by CIES. The majority seem to be about right.

Interestingly enough, Ronaldo was valued at 100 million Euros, which is almost identical to the rumoured fee Juve are offering for him.

• Toonfan8

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:41 PM

I would love to see Gini and Andros back inToon shirt.
    Dúbravka-Yedlin, Lascelles, Lejeune, Dummett- Shelvey, Diame- Townsend, Gini, Kenedy- ??? (Rondon)

• c-dog

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:43 PM

The Irish make the the point that we have a statute of a war criminal in Cromwell in the grounds of Westminster. Think he was left there as part of the good Friday agreement Dubai.

• RobLeenio

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:43 PM

Jib, as far as I’m aware, Khan’s bid for Wembley is still ongoing. Certainly there’s been nothing in the media to say it’s been rejected or he’s withdrawn his offer.

Maybe Seri is well aware of the outcome and thinks Fulham could be top six in the next few seasons. Just shows what an owner with ambition can achieve.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:48 PM

Wijnaldum? With Townsend, why not bring back sissoko and janmaat. Or even stop the future sales of mbemba and mitrovic. Bring back colo as captain. It might be just me but I don’t want wijnaldum, didn’t leave in a bad way like a certain mr Arsenal are my dream club and did score his fair share (at home) but is still part of the group that lascelles has at least twice said that didn’t care for the club. Rumour was a non starter anyway but definite no thanks for me.

• ToonRich

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:52 PM

If we are seriously looking at Rondon I hope we dont just stump up the release clause fee! If the player wants away and hands in a request theres no reason for us not to get him cheaper that said clause?!

Can we not bring back Tino and Big Al 😉

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:53 PM

Forrest still wanting to sign Colback but still waiting on him accepting less wages apparently!!

Come on mate you have earned enough good wonga for doing nothing !!

• Little h

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:53 PM

Fulham to do a leicester??
    There gonna light it up this year i reckon

• c-dog

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:57 PM

I don’t rate Rondon. Abraham has potential but not ready to lead the line. Ings just no. Plea I knew nothing about. Hopefully we get a center forward who inspires us but they don’t come cheap.

• Jib

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:59 PM

Wolverhampton will be the ones to watch I reckon
    A top manager in Esperito Santo and owned by
    Fosun conglomerate worth a mind-boggling
    £60 Billion

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:59 PM

Don’t want any former players here thanks, especially not those that left after relegation be it on good terms or not.

• Jib

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:02 PM

Once the WC final is out of the way on Sunday
    Monday the transfer market is going to go potty

• Pottsclock

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:11 PM

I don’t think Wijnaldum was effective for us when he was here last time. Clearly Liverpool don’t rate him that highly either. It’s not as if he’s 22 or 23 and will could radically improve.
    Not a good option from what I see. As others pointed out, fee would be enormous so we can only be discussing a loan

• Munster Mag

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:15 PM

Its awful that we got Ashley and wolves got ambition. Great to gave a famous club back. I’d like to see Leeds and forest up too

• Jib

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:15 PM

The Turkish media outlet that has us linked to Wijnaldum
    is the same one that had NUFC being bought by the
    owner of McVities biscuits – Turkish billionaire Murat Ülker

• Munster Mag

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:22 PM

English yobs who smashed up lansdowne Rd sand no surrender to the IRA. And just look like the irrelevant simpletons they are. Another reason why plenty of us were happy to see England vacate the tournament. In hindsight I shouldn’t have come on winding you up and gloating last night but I’d had a few so hands up fellas. Dubai as for war crimes and the Good Friday agreement, we’ll have to agree to differ there. Those Essex ladies might have had an effect on more than your trousers mate 🙂

• RobLeenio

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:26 PM

I seem to remember Wijnaldum’s performances were far better and more consistent when Rafa had been working with him for a while. The frustrating thing with Gini was he had all the talent but went missing too often. I think Rafa could do wonders with him but it would have to be for the right price

I certainly don’t bear him any ill will, he didn’t agitate for a move, turned up for pre-season training and seemed to get involved with it. When he left he was complimentary towards the club and fans too.

• The American

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:29 PM

I must say that I am pleased about Kenedy coming in, but if we don’t have an option or obligation to buy after the season then this is an awful piece of business. If he even consistently matches what he did during the last half of the season over the course of a full one then he will be worth almost double what his price would have been this summer.

Disappointed to have Merino gone too. Although he dropped of significantly after his injury last season, the consistent run of form that he had when he was first introduced into the starting team was impressive. Hopefully he does well at Sociedad.

• lesh

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:41 PM

Jib @44

You must’ve had your Ashey apologise eyes on.

The club’s site has the 2018/19 adult home tops @ £64.99 and juniors @ £54.99.

One would’ve expected the club’s shop to at least discount em but then again, it looks as though SD and the club shop are one and the same.

The evil, greedy bustard’s really got it in for the club’s fans.

• RobLeenio

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:42 PM

Munster, I did say the chant would be inflammatory in certain circumstances. No doubt it was at Lansdowne Rd that night. Surely in tone it’s not far removed from Flower of Scotland, Men of Harlech and Soldier’s Song? None of those offend me and none have been (or should be) investigated by FIFA.

No offence meant by the way, if I am being offensive then I apologise in advance.

• Little h

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:45 PM

Merino isnt an issue to me.
    Yes its not ideal.
    But basically he wants to be in the starting line up and clearly doesnt think he should have to earn it or fight for it “get out” rather than “get stuck in”

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:46 PM

Widjnaldum was a great signing 3 years ago, but wouldn’t be now that he’s popped. If Liverpool does indeed have a surfeit of midfielders and might want to offload one, then the one we might realistically get is Milner, who would be a fantastic player for us if we could get him on a 3 three year contract for under 10 million on 60 – 70 k a week. Milner is a banker.

• lesh

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:48 PM

Tiff

If Ashkey does have the club’s image rights and merchandising stitched up with SD, that might explain why Stavely would only offer what she did.

Greedy, evil got that he is.

• lesh

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:50 PM

** Greedy, evil got that he is.= Greedy, evil git that he is.

• Pottsclock

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:51 PM

But what I can’t understand is morons who actually sing stuff that’s not even relevant to sport at football matches or rugby or whatever. In fact, it is probably the case that they’re so thick they don’t even know what they are singing. What’s the point – other than to embarrass the very England they are supposed to be supporting?
    Honestly, if it is shown that it was sung then a simple statement from Southgate saying that he disapproves would be welcome. At the moment, his esteem is held so high that I think it would actually have an effect.