web analytics

Newcastle Complete First Outgoing Transfer – A Lot More To Come

Mikel Merino has finally completed his transfer To Real Sociedad which is only 50 miles from where he grew up in Spain in his hometown of Pamplona.

Sociedad triggered the release clause in his contract of £10M and there was little Newcastle could do about it since he said he wanted to leave the club after only one year on Tyneside.

He had the same kind of release clause in his contract at Borussia Dortmund before Newcastle triggered that last summer to bring him to Newcastle for about £6M.

Mikel Merino – after scoring his only goal for Newcastle – against Crystal Palace

Rafa Benitez has explained Mikel and his agents insisted on that clause at the two big clubs (Borussia Dortmund and Newcastle) in case he didn’t get enough playing time and he could leave.

We doubt he has that clause in his contract at Sociedad where he’s likely to be their star player.

This is what the 21-year-old gifted player said after being unveiled as a Real Sociedad player:

“I am very happy and very happy to play in a club that I love and one that I have followed since I was a child.”

“It’s very close to Osasuna.” “I am delighted to be here and looking forward to playing the ball.”

“It’s a very nice project, with the change of the stadium and everything is good with the group.”

“The fans here have spoken so well to me and being back to being close to home is important.”

“I am feeling integrated.” “All of them have been important factors and I think I have made a good decision.”

“I want to grow and help the team grow.” “We can improve and aspire to higher levels.”

“I hope it’s a beautiful season.”

Real Sociedad finished only 12th in La Liga last season with 49 points from their 38 games.

Sociedad will be looking to do a lot better next season with Merino running their midfield.

So this is the first transfer we have done that gets Newcastle some money into the club.

And there’s more to come with the likes of Mitrovic, Mbemba, Colback, Aarons, Armstrong, and others expected to leave Newcastle for fees this summer.

We are sorry to see Mikel leave Newcastle but we wish him the very best in what should be an excellent career for him.

The 21-year-old certainly has the potential to become a top player.

• Mag :P

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:52 PM

How one from Ireland can gloat about England being knocked out is very laughable.

I don’t think I’ll be seeing Ireland in a world cup semi final in my lifetime. I wonder if they’ll actually make it to the world cup next time?

• Tsunki

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:57 PM

Personally I think it’s high time jail came out of the closet about his homphobicnessosity.

• Pottsclock

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:59 PM

I’m Mackemphobic. There…I’ve said it !!

• Dave76

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:00 PM

I think kenedy is a postive loan or signed. We have him for a season, even if you sign a player you can only look as far as next window and they could be gone,look at merino.

• DubaiMicky

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:03 PM

lesh, go to the club shop and ask the staff who they’re employed by…. Their answer? Sports Direct.

• RobLeenio

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:09 PM

Potts, agreed, it’s thoughtless, mindless, inappropriate and ignorant as are all nationalistic chants and songs, but it’s not discriminatory which is what FIFA are investigating.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:12 PM

Loans, free agents, players approaching the end of their contracts, or good young players ready to pop are all good ways for us to go. The senior clubs can splash the big money, while we play it canny. You get an increasing sense that Rafa is very willing to work with Ashley, so long as he believes he’s on the level.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:12 PM

Whats wrong with gloating about England losing? I was on here last night and don’t recall any gloating. Couple happy posters and they have every right to be. I’m glad they’re knocked out too and didn’t hide it at the start of tournament or yesterday.

• Mag :P

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:23 PM

Cool man, congrats.

You can be happy all you want.

‘whats wrong with gloating about England losing?’

Well, it depends. If you’re going out of your way to wind people up about it fresh after the defeat then that just says a whole lot about you as a person.

I find it rather strange in your case though considering you’re English? (I think, if not then this point is moot)

Mad how you want your own country to fail. Must be some serious bad blood there.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:32 PM

Rob
    I guess it can be seen negatively like that when people gloat but it’s like when you’re with mates and their team loses, you rub it in at times regardless if your team is playing them or not. Don’t see why it should be different for international teams.

Don’t necessarily have bad blood but have never taken to the national team for reasons I previously explained. Think I was talking to jail about it. Will try to search for the post a service it was a long one and I cannot be bothered explaining it all again lol. give me a moment and I’ll try to find it.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:32 PM

Rob? Mag lol. Not sure how that got corrected.

• Pottsclock

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:35 PM

I suppose there are people in this world who will celebrate the failures of others at things they will never strive to achieve themselves. It’s a sad outlook on life really, in my opinion. Maybe sometimes there’s some history. But in a general sense I don’t understand why I would celebrate at my neighbour losing his job or crashing his car or having his wife leave him for another bloke.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:42 PM

Potts
    It’s football. Have you never had banter with other fans? When Sunderland lose I’m sure you take joy out of it even if it’s not against us. Or when Man Utd or Liverpool lose, or whoever team you dislike. I’m sure if you gloated about it to your mates they won’t think it’s because you’re scum, just that it’s football banter.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:43 PM

That may have come across as very Richard Keys. For that I apologise, it’s only banter! 😀

• Tsunki

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:49 PM

Hmm. Gloating about your own team losing? Hmmm.

• Tsunki

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:50 PM

Thrice hmmm, i say.

• lesh

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:10 PM

Dubai

Aye, I’d heard that about the club shop and SD.

I’d imagine PCP found that what Ashley was selling was nothing more than a football operation that’s financing Ashley’s business interests.

He’s ripped the guts out of our club.

• RobLeenio

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:22 PM

lesh, Micky – I’m not sure what you’re implying is true. The Staveley bid team did their due diligence, surely if there was any such terrible schemes in place then this process would have identified them. Presumably the conditions of their bid would have attempted to remove them. It’s possible in theory that this is why Ashley rejected the bid. They wouldn’t have been able to reveal this kind of detail under the terms of an NDA so we’ll never know for sure.

Even so, a sufficiently high bid should tempt Ashley to let go of these kinds of clause – after all, a larger cash sum has to be worth more than the equivalent earnings over 20 years.

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:23 PM

Felipe Anderson to west ham tomorrow for 35 million we are being left behind by the teams that Finished under us.

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:27 PM

Jannik Vestergaard from Borussia Monchengladbach signs for southampton

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:32 PM

Now fulham after man citys Zinchenko this team is going places where as we are not.

• Munster Mag

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:35 PM

Rob no worries mate. The smart guts on here know where I’m coming from on a variety of issues. Some think I hate our manager. Of course and I love Sunderland. And England. That silly anti IRA song is neither jingoistic or discriminatory or anything else. It’s just a pointless song, sung by yobs. If a few British soldiers in the North of Ireland sang it, it wud make more sense, as at least they were involved somehow. Either way, thousands of us wanted you out, or at least didn’t support you directly. Apparently one pub in Dublin erupted when columbia scored. It’s just the way it is and it doesn’t mean we hate the English, far far from it. MagP, we don’t expect to ever get to a semi final although we reached the quarters before. Your point is irrelevant. Football isn’t even our national sport. Gaelic games are. We are considered second in rugby in the world at the present moment. That’s remarkable. If we don’t make the semis, I’m not worried. But work away and make silly statements all u want MagP.

• Mag :P

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:43 PM

It’s not silly when it’s factual chap. 🙂

The Irish can pretend that there opinion matters when it comes to the English national team but we all see it as bitter regardless.

It’s amazing how neighbouring countries can be so vile to one another. Pride and all that jazz.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:45 PM

Anyone else think that The God Save The Queen is one of the worst and most uninspiring pre match anthems for a national team.

Apart from the fact is the national anthem of all of Britain and isn’t really appropriate just for England.

Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem would be better I’d even go for Vindaloo. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:47 PM

As someone else already said having a team of stars doesn’t necessarily produce a star team.

• Mag :P

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:50 PM

I agree Essex, it’s boring compared to the rest. Lol.

• Munster Mag

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:55 PM

Potts, Rolando or me are not talking about celebrating misfortune of any consequence. Its football. Nobody has crashed a car or wife left them as you mentioned. The common reflection over here is that England would be banging on about a world cup win when guys like me are old men as we are still hearing about 1966. The Irish might be just as bad if we won something big but we don’t know because we haven’t. When I lived in england, colleagues demanded that I support england because I was employed there. It got aggressive in pubs now and again because I didn’t and wouldn’t back down. This team seemed like a nicer bunch and the manager is a nicer bloke than fat sam but old habits die hard. Just the way it is. BTW there was support for England over here too.

• Munster Mag

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:03 AM

Mag P we don’t care what the English think on a macro scale, any more than you do re us. That’s fair enough. I hope you believe though that, for example, if I meet a fellow fisherman from England, over here, I wud always extend the hand of friendship. I would never pretend to him that I like his team, but would sincere hope that he is welcomed here etc. Oh. O, I feel a Fast Show moment coming on…. But…. If he should take liberties, and drop litter for example I wud say ‘oi, English man, noooooo!!’ ?

• Oldgit1

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:03 AM

@ Bill or the theme tune of The archers as recommended by the yin himself.

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:06 AM

What’s the odds of us being done in the window. There won’t be any further additions nor leaving.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:09 AM

EGB – -I think this was mentioned the other day, by Jib -that uncouth and vulgar fellow, that the best national anthem was the French “La Marseillaise”- I find myself agreeing with Jib. It is a truly rousing song certainly the best in the world.
    A fine rendition of the song by French singer Mireille Mathieu.

• Munster Mag

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:09 AM

Runaway it’s getting a bit worrying re other clubs signings. One season and Rafa will go if he doesn’t get some movement. He has been so clever so far, so maybe a blockbuster signing at 9 is bubbling

• Munster Mag

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:18 AM

Tuff the words are pretty bloody aswell!

• Munster Mag

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:19 AM

That said, I love the Welsh anthem.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:21 AM

Moanster – apparently it was a war song written when the French declared war on Austria about 300 years ago.

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:23 AM

A lad has just showed me t2 clip from the england match dont no if its ture cant say its not rebic got a yellow card on 46 min then he showed me clip 5 mins in to extra time and rebic got another yellow dont no if this ie ture but its the rounds

• lochinvar

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:59 AM

EssexGB@104
    Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem would be better I’d even go for Vindaloo.

The Mackems have release their own anthem : Loadofpooh

• lochinvar

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:05 AM

Nottingham Forest are in talks with Newcastle over a loan move for midfielder Jack Colback, according to Sky sources

Looks like we can’t buy nor can we sell.

perhaps Charners should go on a course on how to do both,

• Ron Knee

Jul 13, 2018 at 6:09 AM

Re Colback

As Cromwell said to the Rump Parliament, “In the name of God, go!”

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 13, 2018 at 6:28 AM

Colback does look like an unsellable asset…Saviet is probably as well