web analytics

One In – One Out – That’s What Football’s All About

We were sorry to see Mikel Merino leave the club yesterday – he’s a young player who looks like he has the skill to become an excellent player in the future.

But he didn’t want to stay at Newcastle so there’s not much Rafa or the club could do about it.

But just before Mikel left us there was news that Rafa had managed to get a season-long loan deal worked out for Brazilian winger Robert Kenedy – who was dazzling for us this year on loan.

At the same time Merino, after recovering from his back injury couldn’t get back into the side because of the great form of Jonjo Shelvey and Mo Diame – who was a revelation in the holding midfield position.

Ayoze has pointed out on his Twitter account that one friend has left the club but another is coming back – so it kinds of evens itself out.

But it also shows how footballers careers can be unpredictable and it’s often difficult to settle anywhere for any length of time.

We are hoping that Ayoze can improve further his goalscoring prowess next season.

Last season he was our top scorer with 10 goals – 8 scored in the Premier League – the most he’s ever scored in a Premier League season for us.

Kenedy scoring against the Saints

He is another player who has improved under the guidance of Rafa Benitez.

Howay The Lads!!

• RobLeenio

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:27 PM

jazzyp “Is this a curveball from Rafa or are we gonna be in for a struggle again this season coming”

Time will tell mate. I hope there’s some ducks being lined up as we speak. He isn’t complaining or blaming the management like he has done in previous windows so I’m tempted to think things are moving behind the scenes.

We need to keep the faith in Rafa to get us the best team he can.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:27 PM

It is going to be a struggle again this season because of our owner. Rafa knows this. He may finish his contract and leave because of it.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:29 PM

Rafa is a ManBeast though. Howay Rafa!!!

• Dave76

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:30 PM

What are everyones thoughts on welbeck as a possible striker. Never going to get a game at arsenal.not a risk like buying a dutch or french league striker with 50% chance of not adapting to prem. Shouldnt cost silly money and knows the area from his time at sunderland. Has pace and can score goals

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:31 PM

Jazzy

I don’t think we will struggle again this season, I think we will be comfortably safe from relegation. Whether we have the squad to properly compete for top 8 remains to be seen. Other squads have strengthened considerably, West Ham will want to make amends for their shit show season, Southampton will want to kick on as well. A ST, attacking options and a little more depth and we’re in good shape.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:32 PM

Welbeck is a baby elephant with absolutely zero footballing ability who would still cost over 25m quid. No thanks.

• Mag :P

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:36 PM

If we don’t sign a striker I’d be worried to be honest. Our midfield and defence carried us last season, I wouldn’t want try that again.

• Spoof

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Tsunki

You keep on asking Jesper the same questions, you keep getting the same reply that he answered those questions previously, did he answer them or did he not, I don’t know, I don’t care, but he has made it obvious that he will not answer them now so why can we not just move on.

• jazzyp

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:40 PM

Rob …Ruddy

Can or do we merit our selves as a big club still tho.
    Take away us fans and what does Nufc stand for now under Ashley.
    Can we still believe things will turn around or will Rafa walk at the end of next season knowing full well he gave his all??

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:46 PM

Jazzy

We’re a big regional club but in the grand scheme of things no, we’re not a big club. We do have a recognisable brand and a rich history, but most regional clubs can claim the same. Spurs are considerably bigger than us in the modern context and we should be OK with acknowledging that.

In the mid-late 00s we were essentially on par (or not far away) from Spurs. 10 years later they are consistently top 4 with some of the most exciting young players in the league and a much sought after manager while we are talking about relegation and desperately clinging onto the world-class manager we currently have.

Ultimately I do believe Rafa’s fate is tied into Mike Ashley’s. If Mike Ashley doesn’t sell up this season then I do believe that it will be unlikely that Rafa will sign a new contract. If he does sign a new contract then assurances will have been made (much stricter assurances than last time) that either he will be given the backing required, or that Ashley is on the way out.

That’s how I see it anyway.

• bettyswallocks

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:49 PM

Reverend Ibiza ……….Nice to hear from you again. I wasn’t expecting it as we are not currently in the process of joining forces to oust Ashley neither is it necessary at the moment from your armchair to try and persuade fans against going to the match which is when you were clearly in your element.
    With regards to Jesper, unless you are the PR spokesman he jokes about us referring to , then I would suggest that he is a big boy and more than capable of giving as good as he gets.

My rapport with Jesper doesn’t require your holier than thou self righteous interference , neither does Mag P require a character assassination from you when as he points out himself he posts only on the odd occasion.

My humour may not be to everyone’s taste but they are free to skip past it and therefore I consider it to be my choice whether to waste my time on here not yours.

• West Lancs Geordie

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:50 PM

Same old same old. Rafa has to sell to bring in “new” players. But we will never improve if we can’t strengthen. RAFA give Cashley an ultimatum that if he doesn’t back you big time before the start of the season you are off. He’s now taken another year’s TV money for himself & has no intention of selling. YFCB.GOOOC

• Toondog2

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:50 PM

If it is a question of selling and buying with no extra amount ie a neutral figure with the wheeling and dealing,where is the Sky money ?
    Perhaps there are things going on behind the scenes which gets us the extra upgraded players Rafa wants to compete next year.
    Or is it just wishful thinking?
    Everyone was talking about the £125 m figure not so long ago does it come in tranches?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:51 PM

Sorry Ruddy…I couldn’t find the time to give you a reply you deserved 🙂

I’ll try and get back to you later mate…and no I have been turned or anything!

Just really been annoyed about how last transfer season was handled…not just by Ashley but by Rafa as well! And the fact that he kept with Joselu and wouldn’t use Mitro frustrated me! The loan signing of Slimani really was a slap in the face…the guy was injured and had done nothing.

But I have better hopes for this transfer window …if only we’ll sign that striker soon

• Toondog2

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:55 PM

How many players are in the squad and how many do we have to get rid off the wage bill to get to the 25 man squad to compete

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:57 PM

Jesper

On the transfer front, I think Rafa really has his hands tied behind his back. Personally, I don’t rate Mitrovic. Would he have done a better job than Joselu? Probably, but then again Rafa clearly doesn’t think he’s a good influence to have in or around the squad, never mind trust him in the starting XI.

I have no problems with Rafa wanting to get rid of Mitro. He hasn’t done nearly enough for us either in the Premier League or down in the Championship. Yes he has scored goals at Fulham and he scores goals for Serbia in systems where he is the main focal point – we don’t play like that, nor will we play like that under Rafa. So good riddance to Mitro is what I say.

As for Joselu and Slimani. Joselu was Rafa’s 5th choice striker, so I don’t think we can blame him for that one. He brought him in because he desperately wanted rid of Mitro and needed cover as well as someone who can play a different style of game than Gayle. With better support from Ashley we would have signed a better player than Joselu. Slimani was a gamble, and if he were fit that gamble may well have paid off – he was excellent against Arsenal.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:01 PM

What do people think of the ‘transfer merry-go-round’ involving Shaquiri to Liverpool, Ritchie to Stoke and Townsend to us? I personally rate Ritchie, I think his work rate is exceptional and has excellent set-piece delivery.

I am all for having Townsend return to us because he is a much more potent attacking threat than Ritchie but we surely have the budget to sign him and keep Ritchie in the squad.

• Ibizatoon

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:04 PM

Tsunki…Imo, and it is only that, Jesper does not feel he’s entering into a discussion with you. Think rotating captains if that makes it easier. Why would he bother, not to be listened to and then just ridiculed? All good fun for you, sure and maybe he shouldn’t care. Do you think he doesn’t though?

Forget right and wrong for a minute, what are you getting from this? If you enjoy it, then fair play to you. I’ve maybe gone soft.

Betty…I didn’t post to you. I did post to Mag as I thought he was wrong. Still do. Him posting afterwards that he doesn’t post often is of no relevance. It wasn’t a character assassination. It was retaliation to his character assessment of Jesper which I object to. I’m allowed.

Again, what you do is of no concern to me. In my opinion, it’s a waste of time, but you seem to enjoy it, so fair play to you also. You may want to ask Jesper whether he finds it amusing.

As for when I post on this blog, I haven’t in a long while as I find the way in which everyone interacts to be really poor. It’s completely untrue that I only post to get people to boycott or during those periods. I spent a long time on here defending the other side of that argument, until I felt it was the right thing to do.
    As for being in my element. I was just happy that it seemed some fans were willing to do something other than whinge for a change. Can’t remember you being so against it at the time.

For the record, I just want the club to be one I can be proud of. I used this blog as it was a way to connect with fellow NUFC fans, including locals and those from overseas. Used to be fun, now it’s just unpleasant.

Over to you all, you’ve clearly got a wonderful handle on things 🙂

Lots of love

Rev x

• Online Guy

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:05 PM

Ibiza toon.

Sustained agitatition and harrasment towards Jesper can clearly be read on a daily basis.
    You are totally justified in pointing that out.

Your credit to this blog with your input… don’t go altogether.

Like you I have to deal with the odd moron time to time ..now , I don’t give much attention to the cerebraly challenged.. Comes from not taking the blog too serious.

I’m rarely here but from past I think some people here spend their whole lives indoors typing away and jumping on every comment…

I imagine Jib and Tsunki are pasty faced because of lack of Sunshine ..watch that vitimin D count boys.

• DaveD1000

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:10 PM

Ruddy @90
    Nailed it.
    Jesper argument? He is loving it. I used to zip past Jesper but now is a must read…though sometimes either his translator is broke or is drinking something I want a pint of.
    Ruddy @97
    again agree, am not mad on Townsend but he did do a job last time. I would prefer it if we could keep ahold of Ritchie.

• Online Guy

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:11 PM

Note to the Pathetic on here..you know who you are .. ICG2F.

• Offkey

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:14 PM

Grow up online, Ibiza and the rest. Jesper is a wum, he used to congratulate Betty on him winding people up and was calling him ‘little Sebastian’. He has then started doing the same and then you mugs jump on screaming bullying and harassment….ffs

• Online Guy

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:14 PM

Jib

It would be entertaining if you changed your name to

Roger Nouveau….. any Chance ?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:14 PM

Offkey
    Jul 13, 2018 at 4:04 PM
    Lol, Jesper is attention seeking, pure and simple. He saw the attention sweaty got for sh#t stirring regarding right wing politics, calling him little Sebastian, and then decided to get in on the act.
    Read back you will see but you probably don’t read the blog much these days.

Offkey…sorry if I come off as a WUM to you in regards to Betsy…as you point out he’s a sh!tstear…but you didn’t seem to mind the things he was throwing at me – if you had voiced your concern back then maybe I would’ve had to fight back with fire!

A bit rich to come now with that remark! A bit pathetic as well if you ask me…

• bettyswallocks

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:15 PM

Jesper………. I am sure that the main reason fot Rafa preferring to use Joselu as opposed to Mitrovic was due to Mitro being disruptive , petulant and a loose cannon who struggles to follow instructions .

Rafa’s methodology requires each and every player knowing their job and carrying it out to the letter. Similar scenario with Mbemba which is why he never got used.

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:17 PM

Transfer’s really can only happen once you have removed the players you don’t need. Newcastle can be linked with strikers but will have to offload one to get one, this all sadly works around the wage bill at Newcastle. Its a little strange with all the talk about Mitro to Fulham before the world cup and now nothing, Gayle Stoke and now nothing, Joselu to Tesco’s and now nothing. So four odd weeks left, lets hope we can move on some of these rumors as its getting tiresome.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:18 PM

I note that my desperate attempts to keep the conversation about football have fallen on deaf ears!

For what it is worth, Jesper has been on the blog for years and in my opinion I don’t think he is a WUM. He has some half-baked opinions at times, but I don’t think he’s a WUM.

So where do people think we will end up this season? Where are the main areas of the squad we need to strengthen? Will we struggle to hold onto Lascelles should a £30m+ bid come in for him?

• Online Guy

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:20 PM

Offkey, your offside son,

It’s all part of the Fabric of this ere blog , accept his opinion ,you don’t have to agree with him , just don’t ridicule him for said opinion.

Anyway your a grown up bloke who probably has to have a shave now and then so you know the score. Imagine every one having a pop at you every day ?

You would leave the blog.

Jesper takes it and fights his Corner. Not good when a maurauding gang of bully boys with weak charecter join in with the gang and put the boot in each and every day.

Could you take it ? Peace.

• Harper-NUFC

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:22 PM

Going to get ready for the backlash of this comment, but I think the other player we are interested in signing from Chelsea is David Luiz.
    Now Sarri has been appointed new manager, there will be more movement.

• Ibizatoon

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:23 PM

offkey…Quite happy with my level of growth, cheers.

I think Jesper may be able to give you some clarity on the lil sebastian comment. I don’t think you’ll find it was Jesper encouraging Betty.

I also know Jesper pretty well. Get where he’s coming from. Does he sometimes wind the situation? Sure. We’ve all been guilty of that. Is he a WUM. 100% not. Sorry, you’re wrong.

Online…Maybe I’m biased, but it’s not that I don’t like Jail and Tsunki, who seem to have big issues with Jesper and vice versa. They clearly have a bee in their bonnet, but from where I’m sitting, show no signs of actually trying to deal with the issue. All parties have drawn their lines. I find it way too pathetic.

Back to work for me.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Betty @105 yeah I would definitely agree with that assessment of both Mitro and Mbemba. It’s a shame that he doesn’t have more control (and money) when it comes to replacing these players. If he had, we’d definitely be in a much stronger position regarding squad depth

• Ibizatoon

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Sorry Ruddy. Valiant effort and I shall not stand in your way.

Go save this mofo!

• RobLeenio

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:25 PM

Nostradamus, it’s gone very quiet over Mitro and Gayle, but only Mitro wants away. You’d expect his agent to be screaming his availability from the rooftops now the World Cup is over for him and he was relatively high-profile, but he hasn’t been.

That says only one thing to me – the deal is done in principle but something is holding it back.

Keep the faith lads and lasses

And no closet gate tonight

😉

• Offkey

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:25 PM

Ibiza oops Jesper admitted it

• Online Guy

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:25 PM

Ruddy ,

first things first and the priority is to snare a Top Top world class Striker. No also rans or potential , the real deal. We are after all Newcastle United.

Pink rectangular thing just flew over Hadrians wall…

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Ruddy…I agree with that paragraph!

“The success of the transfer window depends on Ashley far more than it depends on Rafa.”

…but what Rafa does with what he’s given will define us as long as Ashley is still here and not changing his approach!

It’s going to be the same if someone new comes in next season!

I don’t think you can defend the Joselu signing…neither by saying he was a fifth choice! He shouldn’t have been a 10th choice unless he were going to be our third starting choice 🙂

As for an injured Slimani?

• jazzyp

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:27 PM

Ruddy

I tried mate after all it is a football blog

• Offkey

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:28 PM

Jesper I can pull up the comments, you were trying to get Betty inside, one day he took your little Sebastian the wrong way and wrongly had a go at you when you were encouraging him to wum. Then you started your wum-img it’s all there in black and white

• Offkey

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:29 PM

Onside

Wum-ing

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:29 PM

We tried but couldn’t get them over the line incoming. Return of Atsu from injury, will be like a new signing.