web analytics

One In – One Out – That’s What Football’s All About

We were sorry to see Mikel Merino leave the club yesterday – he’s a young player who looks like he has the skill to become an excellent player in the future.

But he didn’t want to stay at Newcastle so there’s not much Rafa or the club could do about it.

But just before Mikel left us there was news that Rafa had managed to get a season-long loan deal worked out for Brazilian winger Robert Kenedy – who was dazzling for us this year on loan.

At the same time Merino, after recovering from his back injury couldn’t get back into the side because of the great form of Jonjo Shelvey and Mo Diame – who was a revelation in the holding midfield position.

Ayoze has pointed out on his Twitter account that one friend has left the club but another is coming back – so it kinds of evens itself out.

But it also shows how footballers careers can be unpredictable and it’s often difficult to settle anywhere for any length of time.

We are hoping that Ayoze can improve further his goalscoring prowess next season.

Last season he was our top scorer with 10 goals – 8 scored in the Premier League – the most he’s ever scored in a Premier League season for us.

Kenedy scoring against the Saints

He is another player who has improved under the guidance of Rafa Benitez.

Howay The Lads!!

• Ibizatoon

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:08 PM

Bobby…You can’t help yourself. What case? That I just intend to wind up? No. But sometimes I do. Which I just admitted to. As you can see, I don’t have a problem with admitting to stuff.

Thanks though, it was genuine. Maybe one day we can have a smoke together. You can’t be as bad as I imagine and I assure you i’m not quite as bad as you say I am.

Jail…What’s this desire to make things only about recently? Both you and Tsunki are missing the point. I’ve been telling you for ages where this was heading.

Anyway, I’m not going to continue this. I’ve said what I’ve had to say.

Jesper, I’d take this opportunity if you want it, if you don’t, then whoever started it doesn’t really matter anymore imo. I stopped posting as it’s almost impossible not to turn into a hypocrite on here.

Jib…Please don’t. That’ll just make me want to stay.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:09 PM

Bobby…….picked up a copy of “Heartbeat” by Gloria Jones and “Mercy, Mercy” by Don Covay in a local charity shop today. Both in rather unhealthy condition but might respond to TLC.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:10 PM

Ibiza… you’re probably right! It’s difficult to have an argument/discussion on more than one front…

…counter productive to say the least! Just found some of the stuff that was being said by some posters rather strange – especially taken the context into consideration!

• Jib

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:10 PM

Gareth Bale is talking about leaving RM
    In case you don’t know the guy
    He can play on either wing (right preferred)
    and can play centre forward at a pinch.
    he has played for Rafa before

😛

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:12 PM

Beermonkey, you asked if our new young hotshot signing was part of the Ireland trip and someone replied . yes Josef Yarney was indeed going. However I have a feeling you were actually asking about Yannick Toure!

So does anyone know if he’s there as well?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:13 PM

Mag :P…you clear speak of something you know nothing about then…if you have a problem with me fine!

But don’t throw your two bits in to the discussion if you know absolutely nothing of the matter…a just look like a hypocrite!

…we probably all are to some extend but honestly…

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:14 PM

JDdubai
    Jul 13, 2018 at 4:07 PM
    ”I would question Rafa on the buying of Joselu, mainly along the lines of what was the point in spending £5m on a crap CF and having him on a contract that we will most likely struggle to get him off of when we want rid of him, when we had Mitro already here and waiting”
    What about when Mitro missed three games when when he was banned and Gayle was injured, we needed another CF, Mitro had every chance to make himself the main man and blew it within six minutes of coming on against West Ham, as for Joselu, Rafa wanted Tammy Abraham, regardless of what happened at Swansea he was Rafa’s choice and who he’d identified to get us goals.
    Whether people like it or not Mitro’s departure coincided with our upturn inform albeit after we signed Dubravka and Kenedy.

• Belfast

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:15 PM

Bring back Ian Toon!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:16 PM

On the Jesper issue I’ve been waiting for someone to ask him “if he’s still beating his wife?” a yes or no answer only.

It’s no sillier than the endless tedious Rafa question.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:18 PM

I would have thought that NUFC would have given the full Irish squad list by now, or have they?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:18 PM

Touché Essex 😉

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:20 PM

Essex…I don’t think NUFC has released much info at all

• magscar

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:20 PM

Bobby

We are suffering as in past windows from the difficulty in shifting players that aren’t seemingly wanted by other PL clubs but as their wages are relatively high are also difficult to move to Championship or abroad.

Out of sight is out of mind for many supporters but the hard reality is some if not all of the wages of non squad players are a drag on our limited budget and can effect FFP I believe. Rafa is looking to work with a smaller squad I read somewhere but he obviously would want quality and not filler.

After some of the unwanted players have left there is not only Colback still here but Saivet, Lazaar and Sels who spring to mind ( MItro will go sooner than later). We have failed to shift them on a permanent basis in previuos window(s)

Posters can carp as much as they like about players sticking to their contract and bleat on as to why they have them but it is part and parcel of an agent dominated transfer market and to sign certain players the Club have to take risks or not get the player. When deals don’t work out hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• welshgeordie9

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:20 PM

Nice to see everyone’s been in a good mood today.

Dear me.

• bettyswallocks

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:21 PM

Jesper ……. Are you still beating your wife?

• jane

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:22 PM

many assume that if we don’t spend much money or buy cheap players sometimes it is because Mike Ashley is tight however it could also be because Rafa is choosing to build gradually.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:24 PM

I think I preferred when people talked politics!!

• jane

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:24 PM

many secretly prefer Newcastle to fail and Ashley go than Newcastle succeed with Ashley here.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:26 PM

Essex
    I haven’t seen any confirmation, pics or clips of toure with the squad. Saying that I don’t think there was any confirmation of him signing since he was seen arriving at the airport. I heard rumours that he was last seen entering the same room as barnetta during his visit to the area…

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:27 PM

TBH I’d sooner Newcastle succeed under any circumstances, but preferably with Rafa at the helm.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:30 PM

Jesper,
    Rafa, to some people’s disdain actually came out and said he’d signed the players he had to rather than the ones he wanted to, bit of a risky thing to say but I’m sure it was so that the majority of fans knew what had happened in the transfer window yet still there are people on here, twitter etc blaming him for crap signings. Had he been given carte blanche to realistically sign who he wanted then people would have every right to have a go when they didn’t work out, Munster is still going on about Sels and Lazaar afterall. You also state that if negotions go on too long then Rafa should pull the plug, Kenedy has taken over a month to sort out, should Rafa have told Charnlety to give it a miss and we’ll go further down the pecking order. Rafa has put his neck on the line managing for Ashley and the way things are going we won’t have to put up with his bumbling transfer record for much longer

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:30 PM

Who are these people jane?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:32 PM

Welsh

I’m in a fantastic mood after my visit to the dentist today and after making my contribution to his life of luxury lifestyle.

If I could start my life again I’d be a dentist!!

• jane

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:32 PM

“Who are these people jane?”

lesh

• jane

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:34 PM

If I could start my life again I’d..

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:34 PM

Ronaldo I thought he was a done and dusted singing, hasn’t there been photos of him in the Toon strip?

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:38 PM

Essex….fair’s fair, dentists do live from hand to mouth!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:39 PM

Tosun, lol

• Ron Knee

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:39 PM

Tosun

Hendrix plays guitar on the Don Covay, apparently.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:40 PM

Jail…that comment by Rafa can also be viewed as Jim safeguarding himself a bit…

Every manager works within a budget – a much smaller budget for most of European teams.

That’s what he has to work with and I am only judging that he does with those means and what his plan B and C are when something doesn’t pan out!

He’s a great manager who’s paid handsomely to manage this…

As for Kenedy and should Rafa pull the plug? Why should he? If he could get that deal done than he would be judge an what his other option was.

If the argument was that he sign a Joselu kind of player because he could get this and that player. I would start to question his shortlist to begin with!

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:40 PM

Essex
    I’ve not seen any and don’t think it’s done and dusted yet. Transfermarkt still have him as without a club. We let go of a lot of development players so I would have expected some movement in that area. Pretty quiet on that front too.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:41 PM

Just had a look at the Training pics from Ireland and I think he may be there and I’m also wondering if Saivet is there.

Anyone know better than me who’s who in those pics?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:42 PM

*if he couldn’t get the deal done

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:42 PM

Ron…I believe that to be the case! As historians are very keen to point out, Jimi Hendrix cut his teeth on the chittlin’ circuit.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:43 PM

Anyone remember a couple seasons ago the club released videos of the pre season tours which was carried out by the players. Really enjoyed those and hope to see more of that this time.

• DaveD1000

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:46 PM

chittlin and big bands

• magscar

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:49 PM

Ronaldo

Remember postings on official site of footage by likes of Aarons featuring Haidara Armstrong(?) etc but can’t recall if before Rafa’s time or not. Think it may have been McClaren ? Rafa may require greater focus ?

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:50 PM

Dave….damn right! I love that tiny black and white clip that surfaces now and then,of …..can’t remember which group it is now, maybe Isley Bros, with Jimi H. grooving away in the back row.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:53 PM

Mags
    Yeah it was during mclarens time. I thought it was great for fans getting an insight behind the scenes.