web analytics

Rafa’s Damning Message To Ashley – It Was The Idea To Win Trophies Here – I Am Not Happy To Survive

Rafa held a meeting with reporters after the game today when we lost 1-0 to Augsburg at home.

The boss was calm and collected and not as agitated as he was on Wednesday night after the team conceded four goals in the second half against Braga.

But Rafa also made a few pointed comments – aimed at Mike Ashley.

He says he came here for a project and doesn’t like just surviving every year – which seems to be what’s happening for next season.

A stern looking Rafa Benitez – in the dugout today

Do only enough in the transfer market, so we are a Premier League club next season – spend as little as possible – that could be the Ashley strategy in a nutshell.

That’s not for Rafa – he wants to achieve things at Newcastle – which is why he will likely call it a day – and leave next summer when his contract is up.

Here are some of the comments he has made as reported in the Chronicle:

“I think it was an entertaining game for the fans because both teams have chances. We improved from the other day because we had more control and played on the ball a bit better. Still we have to improve.”

“At the moment I can’t say a lot (about transfers). Maybe in a couple of days I can say more.”

“I was talking with Lee Charnley before the game and I’ll maybe see him after the game.”

I’m not saying we’re not working, but we had things lined up.”

“I am confident we can do it (new transfers).”   ” If you’re asking me if it’s ideal I would say no because the way I like to work is to do things early but if we can’t do that we have to work.”

“I hope we can do it.”

“Normally when we have had time and support, we deliver. So we have won trophies everywhere.”

“And it was the idea to do something similar here and I am not happy we have to just survive every year.”

“But at the moment we have to see if we can improve the squad.”

We don’t blame Rafa one little bit – but he has an owner in place who has no ambitions whatsoever for Newcastle.

The level of his ambition is to keep us a Premier League side and spend as little as possible to achieve that.

• the ledge

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:42 PM

why would anyone look for approval on a blog ?

• toon22

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:42 PM

The best thing the MA has done lately is plough cash into high street stores
    As it seems thye are all going do the pan atm with most on the brink of bankruptcy
    Lets hope he gets his fingers burnt with that gamble and ends up losing his shirt as untill he does hes never going to sell us or ever compete in this league.Other than death only the HRMC or the FA can save us.

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:43 PM

Posada

Look when you post I do not engage you as I respect your opinion,Yet when I express an opinion of late you object every time even tho I am in agreement with others.

We clearly have nothing in common and to be truth I’m getting fed up of ya sniping. Please feel free to skip over my moniker and don’t worry I wont be offended by it ..Honest.
    You keep banging the same drum that you wont give up ya ST and showing ya anger or venting frustration wont do anything..Maybe that is true but that is mine and many others choice so please respect it

• posada

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:45 PM

I don’t want to be popular. I could not give a stuff.
    Told you all I thought AS was a chancer and quite possibly working for Ashley in part.
    I was hated for it cos it was not what you wanted to hear.

Yorkymag has perhaps used some rhetoric there I would not agree with. Howver, his general theme is sound. If owner and manager don’t get on them something gives. Not at nufc we have a mexican stand off and potentially a wasted window.
    Potentially, we don’t actually know whats happening.
    He’s been subjected essentially to abuse which is out of order. Yorky that is.

Conte was looking for the sack from January. He’s not still there is he.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:45 PM

Little blog reminder:

DO NOT FEED TROLLS AND WUMS

• toon kk

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:46 PM

Great if Rondon is coming ( he still has a lot to prove) but at loosing Gayle? Why didn’t we do the deal with Joselu? Because any other club has more sense than to waste money on a flop.

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:47 PM

Posada

There you go again with ya sniping, bet you feel good sat behind your computer being all macho.
    Meet me at a match mate for a friendly beer or 2 as I have offered before. or give it a rest and pick on someone else because ya getting very boring and tedious now

• Pottsclock

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:49 PM

The reason that Ashley is not investing is exactly because he wants to sell. He’s not going to make a big investment in something he’s trying to get rid of. Unfortunately we’re stuck with mediocrity until he sells and we’ll be living on the edge. I hope we get a reasonable start, get some buyers interested and then have new owners before the end of the season. It’s the only way Rafa will stay.

• lochinvar

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:52 PM

Runnaway777@61
    You’re the DJ in a Mackems disco tonight
    Brilliant
    Do you do requests ?
    I’ve got a few here for you

Local Hero
    Blaydon Races
    I’m coming home
    Geordie Boot boys
    Any O’Brien
    Down Down ( Status Quo)

Have fun

P.S. Are there cheesy chips for the buffet ?

• toon kk

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:53 PM

Pottsclock
    You’ve got a point, but it’s the way he’s always run the club unfortunately.

• posada

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:54 PM

Jazzy
    Firstly, why would I want to meet with you for a beer.
    Secondly, it’s not sniping. Do what you want to protest.
    All I’m saying is why keep on with comments about Ashley.
    We all know what he is.
    The MPs knew what he is.

• toon22

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:54 PM

Ashleys not going to sell ever
    He likes the nice ready made excuse
    The whole Stavely thing was no different to not getting whoever over the line like every other transfer window in the last 10 years
    No matter who has been manager its always been the same.
    MA will only spend when we get religated as he wants his tat shops advert in the prem

MA will never sell up unless he is made a rediculous offer or has to,other than death he likes things as they are.All the cash sloshing around football is propping up or help build his tat shop empire

Hes not going to sell ever the sooner people realize it they can see him for what he is,imho he should be banned from owning or running any buisness in the UK

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:54 PM

Potts
    You really think Ashley wants to sell? What exactly has to done to suggest he does?
    And let’s be honest, nobody is asking Ashley to put his own money in, just to let Rafa use the money generated by the club from player sales, sponsors, matchday and tv money.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:55 PM

Interesting, Steve McClarts started his tenure at QPR in his usual fashion, with a defeat, and his usual rhetoric, “defense did very well, we should have come away with a draw”. Inspiring!

• sing in the corner

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:55 PM

Thanks Rolando @84
    Good reminder.
    When tensions are getting very high, like now, it’s easy to forget some weirdos like to come on and rub salt in..

On Rondon.. Can’t say I wanted us to get him. Didn’t think he’s the man we need.. But now it’s happening, let’s hope for the best. He’s a unit, should give defenders a head ache and hopefully will hit the ground running in terms of form.

• lochinvar

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:57 PM

Would it be clutching at straws to hope that the strategy is to shift the deadwood in this transfer window and see where we’re at in January when the money will be freed for some serious transfer activity ?

Thought not, just a moment of weakness.
    Note to self, remain strong.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:00 PM

Posada

If I want to express an opinion I will do, And if I want to say the same thing every day on here I will do. Who the hell do you think you are to tell me what I can and cannot say eh??
    And to be honest you fixated on Shirebrook last winter now it seems its my turn, What are you the blog stalker.
    Told you god knows how many times now do all the blog a favour and skip over my moniker, It is an easy thing to do sunshine

• posada

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:00 PM

Football comment.
    Gayle is a great player. He would have been fine in the days of 4/4/2 with the right strike partner.
    Sadly, game not like that anymore.
    Think Rondon fits in with the way the game is now and the way rafa wants to play.

• toon22

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:03 PM

Anyone know what actually happened with the HRMC investigation?

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:06 PM

Football comment

BREAKING: Danny Welbeck has been told to find a new club as he is surplus to Arsenal’s requirements this season with Nufc showing interest this window

• posada

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:07 PM

Fixated on your mate Shirebrook!
    He wanted to meet up for a pint as well.
    Said no to the Peaky Blinders on that occasion and I’ll stick with it.
    You’ve had plenty to say about others.
    Describing opinions as horse manure but in more fulgar terms.

• Pottsclock

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:10 PM

If Ashley didn’t want to sell then he wasted his time with Staveley etc last year. He has said the club is up for sale several times. Of course he wants to sell – the debate is on the price.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:10 PM

Hahaha you still banging on Stalker

• Crow59

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:10 PM

Is it just lazy journalism or are we constantly linked with the bin dippers casualty list for a reason?
    After Sturridge went to West Brom and wasn’t successful, I’d thought we’d heard the last of that lost cause.
    As for Ing’s, if he’s not even good to make their bench (when fit) then I hold no hope that’s he’s a solution to anything.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:14 PM

Pottsclock

I don’t think Ashley has any intentions mate on selling the club. Minimal investment for maximum profit..its a perfect business model to own.
    Ashley knows the fans will turn up in there droves no matter what. Win win for the guy

• RUNAWAY777

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:14 PM

lochinvar got all them mate would love too but dont i would get out alive most of them have come with shirts on you would think they had won something ffs

• Crow59

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:14 PM

Why the hostility’s? Thought this was a blog for opinions and debate, not a tool for insults and arguments.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:16 PM

Potts
    Well to be fair, if Ashley said so it must be true then lol.

Last year with stavely the guy was away on holiday so hardly wasting his time. The actions since his announcement to me shout he doesn’t want to sell. From no bother to bring facilities and stadium to a decent standard and the way over inflated price tag of £400m just scares any potential buyers away.

According to john hall, Ashley bought this club as a vehicle to promote his sports direct. I don’t see how this has changed. With it being the primary reason for buying the club, I think it’s the most important factor.

Other people more appropriate and suitable than me have valued the club around £280-£300m. £400m is the actions of a man that doesn’t want to sell.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:20 PM

Crow59

Couldn’t agree more mate. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion how varied that may be and should be respected as such

• Mister Tuff

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:20 PM

Toon 22 – nothing at all in the press about the HMRC investigation – so we have to assume it’s still ongoing.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:22 PM

A positive I think is that there should be no further arguments about Adam Armstrong on here.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:23 PM

Tuffers

Don’t start Bobby off please

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:24 PM

The purpose of the comments is to allow Newcastle United fans and others to express their views on the news of the day concerning the Newcastle United Football Club.
    We’d ask that you be civil towards other readers

Edd Harrison

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:26 PM

Jazzyp…do you think Arsenal want Joselu in return 😀

• Mister Tuff

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:27 PM

jazzy – I was tempted to make my post a bit longer but thought against it , my post was brief and hopefully not contentious and certainly not aimed at raising an in depth debate – just making a point.

• sing in the corner

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:30 PM

Yeah thanks Jazzy… We all knew that already
    🙂

• Mister Tuff

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:30 PM

The centre forward incoming must be a choice between Welbeck or Sturridge. On loan of course or it’s no deal.
    Going for Sturridge.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:30 PM

Mister Tuff

very good of you sir. Wouldn’t want a stand out rant at this time of night

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:31 PM

Sing

hehehe cheeky

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:32 PM

Jesper

Haha I believe Welbeck and 2 million to us would secure the services of Josepoo mate