web analytics

Rafa’s Damning Message To Ashley – It Was The Idea To Win Trophies Here – I Am Not Happy To Survive

Rafa held a meeting with reporters after the game today when we lost 1-0 to Augsburg at home.

The boss was calm and collected and not as agitated as he was on Wednesday night after the team conceded four goals in the second half against Braga.

But Rafa also made a few pointed comments – aimed at Mike Ashley.

He says he came here for a project and doesn’t like just surviving every year – which seems to be what’s happening for next season.

A stern looking Rafa Benitez – in the dugout today

Do only enough in the transfer market, so we are a Premier League club next season – spend as little as possible – that could be the Ashley strategy in a nutshell.

That’s not for Rafa – he wants to achieve things at Newcastle – which is why he will likely call it a day – and leave next summer when his contract is up.

Here are some of the comments he has made as reported in the Chronicle:

“I think it was an entertaining game for the fans because both teams have chances. We improved from the other day because we had more control and played on the ball a bit better. Still we have to improve.”

“At the moment I can’t say a lot (about transfers). Maybe in a couple of days I can say more.”

“I was talking with Lee Charnley before the game and I’ll maybe see him after the game.”

I’m not saying we’re not working, but we had things lined up.”

“I am confident we can do it (new transfers).”   ” If you’re asking me if it’s ideal I would say no because the way I like to work is to do things early but if we can’t do that we have to work.”

“I hope we can do it.”

“Normally when we have had time and support, we deliver. So we have won trophies everywhere.”

“And it was the idea to do something similar here and I am not happy we have to just survive every year.”

“But at the moment we have to see if we can improve the squad.”

We don’t blame Rafa one little bit – but he has an owner in place who has no ambitions whatsoever for Newcastle.

The level of his ambition is to keep us a Premier League side and spend as little as possible to achieve that.

• lochinvar

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:45 PM

Welbeck or Sturridge ?
    Jog on.
    Funny that their names are just mentioned with days before the transfer window closes.
    Rafa has had his target list for months.
    What’s going to change his mind ?
    Oh yes – no funds.
    Thanks Mike

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:45 PM

Rafa will work as hard as he can and do everything in his power to give Nufc the best chance of staying up.

I can’t say the same about Ashley.

I see no problem in Rafa stating he isn’t happy just surviving, only manager I know who’d be happy is Pardew.

If anything I’m happy Rafa is speaking out, why shouldn’t he? Will keeping quiet help Nufc get more points or make Ashley change his ways?

Speaking out and standing up may not work, doing nothing definitely won’t work!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:46 PM

GT…I know we have a poor owner mate…but that doesn’t change my standards or expectations…

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:46 PM

The only way Rafa will get to build us a decent squad is if aliens abduct Ashley and the rest of his sad sack helpers from hell.

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:47 PM

Well said jesper. I wish you were in charge of the club.

• toon kk

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:47 PM

bettyswallocks
    I hope he does read this blog, if a player deserves credit they’ll get it, if a player is poor like Joselu it’s up to him to raise his game.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:48 PM

OP…there a huge difference in having someone life Rafa than the dross we’re use to mate..,

…I still clinch at the sound of both Pardew and McClaren

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:48 PM

Well said optimistic panda also. Huzzah to both of you!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:49 PM

GT…I think that is what Rafa is echoing with is remarks to the press!

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:55 PM

I just wish I knew where ketsy gets his loco weed jesper. I could use some now and then after watching Ashley in action.

• sing in the corner

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:55 PM

Jazzy@134
    Aye…When you put it like that, Ritchie must think he’s not wanted here at all. Hope he isn’t the sulking type..(don’t think he is personally) – could do with him firing on all cylinders!

• toon kk

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:56 PM

MA is only running the club the way he is because the fans allow him to. SJP would still be full if he got a team made up of lads off the school field.
    If people want change stand up to the fat b@st@rd.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:57 PM

Toonkk……… That’s the point I was making, but surely everyone deserves the right to redeem themselves.

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:58 PM

This latest behavior by Ashley really does puzzle me. He’s not even trying to help the club improve anymore. Why do this when it can only lead to disaster and another relegation? Is he senile. Apparently alcoholism often leads to early dementia. Maybe that’s what we’re seeing here.

• sing in the corner

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:59 PM

If Townsend is snubbing us again now, it makes mugs of us going back to him cap in hand style, which it sounds as if we might have, after he already bailed when we needed him before.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:59 PM

Jesper……. Who do you clinch with at the sound of Mc Claren and Pardew?

• bettyswallocks

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:01 PM

toonkk. ……. That was Joselu not Ashley I was referring to.

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:02 PM

Could play Ritchie behind the striker in a playmaker role similar to Marveaux type role

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:03 PM

I heard this told with T-Rump as the subject but it can work with Mike as well. Why does Mike Ashley lick his own balls? Because he can.

• RUNAWAY777

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:03 PM

Stroll on midnight so i can get back to Northumberland away from this place

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:04 PM

Ritchie is a winger ketsy. He has some of the skills for that role. He’s not an AMF. Don’t hold your breath waiting for Rafa to try that.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:04 PM

Betsy…cringe

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:05 PM

Where are you now Runaway if you don’t mind my asking?

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:09 PM

I hope Diame isn’t badly injured. We can definitely use him against Spurs.

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:09 PM

Dubravka

Yedlin Lascelles Schar Tagliafico

Townsend De Arrascato Maia Kenedy

Rondon Ballotelli

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:10 PM

Got to sign a few creative players then. Shame we kunt beat Liverpool to Shaqiri

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:10 PM

So Betsy…a bit hypocritical there pal! So you pick and choose who needs to have their slate wiped!

…surely everyone needs a new chance

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:10 PM

I wonder if a 3 man midfield with Shelvey, Diame and Ki Seung would work? And I hope Muto starts as well.

• newcs

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:10 PM

Lol ketsbaia is a good laugh. Ballotelli and 8 mill for clark. Definitely been playing football manager

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:11 PM

Steady on ketsy. That’s enough magic dust for tonight.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:14 PM

Jesper…….. Ok. I had visions of you hugging the missus for moral support when Pardew and Mc Claren were mentioned . Clinch means a tight grip.

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:14 PM

How much did we sign Clark for? £5m. Worth £8m now due to the inflated market.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:15 PM

yes, we’re going to buy Tagliafico, Maia, Arrascato and Balotelli in the next 5 days. And then the fairies are going to come down and dance around you in your bedroom ketsy.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:16 PM

Well I can’t take anymore fantasy football tonight lads. I’m off.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:17 PM

Of course Jesper . Everyone should be allowed to redeem themselves , even you. X

• toon22

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:18 PM

Ma wont care what Rafa thinks or what the team may or may not need
    He will get his advert,tv money and revinue from player sales for atleast another season.
    When Rafa leaves he will employ another to repeat the same shite for another 10 years.Simple fact when it gets tough in the media he comes out and says utter bs to try and quell the comotion.
    When that fails he claims hes going to sell
    Its no different to pretending to try and buy players,its the same lie we have had for at least 8 years.It might have not started this way but we are here now and its where he likes it to be.
    So no matter what happens it will be more of the same until he goes
    And no matter what he claims or who is the manager or who he entices to play his fake game of selling the club it is and always will be the same lies he had always sold
    For me the people who claim any different are either deluded,plain wrong or are payed by MA to quell the disquite he chooses to avoid while he robs the club and its reputaion blind for his own greed

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:18 PM

Someone on here said no one is asking Ashley to put his own money in. I think Rafa has floated the idea on a few occasions, and would certainly be happy if he did. Argues he can responsibly turn that speculation into trophies and profit. When he was at Napoli he wanted improvements to the training facility and Academy, the club preferred to buy Higuain instead, for 90 million. It’s hard not to think Ashley will walk a tightrope as best he can to run the club as lean as he can get away with and hope someone matches his own valuation of the club, given he’s not champing at the bit to get Rafa on board long term. He wants out, but only on his terms, in my opinion. At least that’s what I think today. Deary me.

• toon kk

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:20 PM

bettswollocks
    Yep I know what you meant mate.
    Mind you I wonder if Mash ever reads this blog. He’s to thick skinned to care anyway.

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:22 PM

Would have Marveaux, Abeid and Ben Arfa back. We’d bang more goals in with them in the team. Great players.

• lochinvar

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:23 PM

Talk of Sturridge and Welbeck is tripe at this stage of the window.
    Rafa had a list.