web analytics

Newcastle Fans Have Their Say On This Summer’s Transfer Window

Forget about the money Rafa was not allowed to spend – that’s all Ashley’s doing – and he will drive Rafa out of the club.

But for £22M the players Rafa brought into the club we think are very good.

Dubravka and Kenedy were Newcastle stars this year in the second half of the season.

Salomon Rondon and Yoshinori Muto replace Aleksandar Mitrovic (who Rafa never played) and Dwight Gayle and that has to be an upgrade.

Kenedy listens to points Rafa Benitez is making (good)

Ki Sung-yueng could turn out be the signing of the season as a free agent – and Fabian Schar and Federico Fernandez are two quality center-backs.

So while we are furious with Mike Ashley we have a better squad than last year at this time.

What’s missing is Mike Ashley needs to allow Rafa to spend £20M or £30M or more, on players who are already top-notch to further strengthen the team.

But he won’t do that.

Here are tweets from our fans.

Alan’s right – this is now what we have to do.

• chicousa

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:36 AM

Sometimes we fans are too close to our own club to be objective about a transfer window. So I was looking around at what different sporting sites thought of NUFC in the window just closed.

ESPN graded us an “F”

They (or the writer) gave out 3 “A” marks: to Liverpool, Fulham and Wolverhampton

My own grade I would give us is a C- as I am optimistic that Rafa will ensure he gets the most from his players and that the sum of the parts will be better than the individual pieces…

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:42 AM

When rafa leaves, that is what the fans should be thinking about. No decent manager will come seeing how even rafa benitez was treated.

We must do ALL IT TAKES to get the fat lying c*t out of our club with ensuring rafa stays.

About time we do something about it!!!!

• chicousa

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:00 AM

The Guardian did not give grades but the last line of their comments re: Newcastle was interesting….Louise Taylor seems to hint at “something”. 🙂

Newcastle United
    Expect cries of “where’s the money gone” from Rafa Benítez as Newcastle ended the window showing a healthy profit on player dealings. Swansea centre half Federico Fernandez’s £6m deadline day move was necessary, selling Aleksandar Mitrovic for £22m is amazing business and Newcastle do look stronger than this time last year. Maybe, just maybe, a takeover beckons. LT

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:06 AM

Martoon, here you go mate.

Final League Position – 9th
    Final Number of Points – 49
    League Cup Round (2 – Entry, 7 – Final) – 4th
    FA Cup Round (3 – Entry, 8 – Final) – 5th
    Player of the Season (Blog) – Ki
    Top Goal Scorer (League & Cup) – Rondon
    Number of Goals for TGS (League & Cup) – 12

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:11 AM

Yes, we are as a team stronger than last year, yes we did sign or acquire seven players but once again feels like we are hoping or Pinky and the Brain are hoping for 10th again in the league. Yes, most teams would be happy with this and we will too if that works out. But and here’s the big but, but as fans, we would love to see our team challenge for something more than survival, maybe challenge to get into Europe or a possible cup. We are not asking for the world here, just asking for a glimmer of hope that would at least try one year to achieve something along those lines, this is what the owner and his sidekick don’t understand, I mean when he opened sports direct was he trying to just get by or was he trying to be a big as he possibly could, this is all Newcastle the city, the people, the fans and the team wants. To have an owner that treats this asset as he does his business, not asking for a handout but when we make money in a window that’s the bottom line, where does it go, what is it used for, I think I have worked it out, players bonuses for one. Oh well, that’s my rant, I do hope we get something from the Spurs game and hope the fans back the team on the pitch and the manager and staff in the dugout, it’s not their fault, yes please cause havoc for Mike Ashley but lets back the players on the pitch.

• marc

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:16 AM

First of all I have had a drink so apologies. However I do think I have an idea for media coverage against a certain mike Ashley.

Chesterfield vs Gateshead is the 22nd September. Chesterfield is 10 minutes away from a certain mike Ashley head quarters and a few thousand Geordies making a visit to a Gateshead away day along with a demonstration outside s***te direct could cause a stir.

Shirebrook toon im sure you would be there

• NY Mag

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:29 AM

Chico,

Interesting piece,
    It’s kinda looks like ESPN have simply judged based on “spend” with respect to relative positions
    Liverpool have outspent their peers (top 5)
    Fulham and Wolves have outspent their peers (newcomers and relegation candidates)
    NUFC, as we know have outspent no one

Having said that, I think we’ve brought in ‘Rafa’s choices’ – on the cheap maybe, but ‘Rafa’s choices’ none the less

I’ll go against the grain a bit here , but I think Rafa will stay with NUFC long term
    I think he’s probably at the stage in his career where he thinks – been there, done it, what next

Winning something with NUFC (in spite of the ownership) would give him a status (not only with NUFC fans, but the football world in general) that is legendary

Everything will depend on how this season pans out, if we’re riding high next May, there’s no way he will leave

• chicousa

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:37 AM

NY Mag
    I hope you are right and Rafa stays. I just can’t see that happening if Ashley stays. I think his blatant lying to Rafa’s face re: “every last penny” showed Rafa that MA cannot be trusted no matter what. My only hope is a buyer appears and the fat cnut is gone by next summer!

• NY Mag

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:52 AM

Chico,

My opinion is more in hope that expectation
    The ‘every last penny’ quote requires forensic accountancy skills far above my own (although I always continue to dig into the accounts and have found some interesting things)
    Unfortunately, I can’t see a buyer on the horizon – I think the risk is too high with the ongoing HMRC investigation

• chicousa

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:05 AM

I would be interested in anything you or anyone else finds in looking at the accounts. The problem with reports I have seen so far is the lack of details. For example we see the total spend on wages for players in the season before last and the increase from the prior year wages is “puzzling”. I would love to see that number broken down, player by player, employee by employee. How do we know that buried in that figure there is not say 35M £ paid to Mike Ashley for “services rendered”???

• yogz69

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:21 AM

All in all I think this has been a fairly positive window. We have arguably strengthened the squad from last year. I do though think that selling Mitrovic to a direct rival will be something to regret. Still think we will finish top half and have that blind hope the fat man has been so tight as he is selling up, but guess we will see in the coming season.

• Markaccus

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:22 AM

A couple of hopeful predictions for the coming season

1 Our team will gel because many of the new players should have a similar mindset of working against the odds. Rondon and Perez forming a strong partnership will be key.

2 Perez, having made himself almost undroppable in the last couple of months of last season, will have his best season for us so far, maybe keeping himself as first choice support striker ahead of Muto.

We can only hope.

• Jib

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:28 AM

marc

Unfortunately any away travellers will be at Selhurst Park
    to watch us play CP on that day

• DubaiMicky

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:28 AM

Rafa’s press conference at 1.30 should be rather interesting.

• Jib

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:30 AM

With regard to Fulham vs NUFC
    I think Lascelles will relish showing
    Mitro he’s not as tough as he thinks he is.

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:37 AM

Jib it’s more than 10 minutes. It’s about 30 minutes away from Shite Defect HQ.

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:38 AM

I should know Jib as I’m that Geordie wannabe that lives down here 😉

My Geordie accent is coming along well though I have to add 😛

• Lindisfarne

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:39 AM

I reckon we will sign Gylfi Sigurðsson in January

• Nufc-83

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:40 AM

It is possible that Ashley is pulling profit (Tv and transfers) into the club to reduce debt and make it look more attractive for a sale?

I don’t know but just trying to look at the positives as I don’t understand why we didn’t get more players through the door and support Rafa.

• Markaccus

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:53 AM

Shire

To be fair to Jib in this instance, he was quoting another poster who suggested a protest at Ashleys base camp.

• TyneMouth

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:58 AM

MARTOON

My hopes for the 2018/19 season;

Final League Position………7th

Final Number of Points…….55

League Cup Round……….4

FA Cup Round………….finalists

Player of the Season…. Ki SY

Top Goal Scorer……..Perez

Number of Goals for TGS…… 18

Thank you MARTOON, much appreciated. HWTL…

• jasper