web analytics

Paul Merson’s Prediction For Newcastle Against Tottenham

Paul Merson admits the Newcastle vs Tottenham game is a difficult one to predict with Tottenham having a weakened side because of the World Cup and their best players not being available tomorrow.

He seems to take the easy way out and goes for a 0-0 draw – and we suppose that would be a decent result for Newcastle.

But we have a chance tomorrow to play against a weakened top side, and Rafa will be wanting a win especially with the first 8 games including five top six clubs.

Rafa Benitez – will want a win tomorrow

Here’s what Paul has said about the game:

“This is a tough one. This was an early game last year, and Spurs got a couple of late goals, but I feel they’ll find it hard due to the World Cup.”

Spurs just haven’t got their players back. Rafa Benitez will make them hard to beat. “

“Spurs won’t have the goals early on so Newcastle will hold on this year. I’m going for a goalless draw.”

Prediction: 0-0

Here’s how our fans think it will go tomorrow.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Tottenham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Howay The Lads!!

• Lindisfarne

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:22 AM

Yep, not sure any of the new players will start as most have arrived late in the window and Rafa will be looking to set up with a well organised team.

Dubs
    Yedlin Lascelles Clarke Dummett
    Ritchie Diame Shelvey Murphy
    Perez Joselu

Could be Hayden for Diame depending on injury and Atsu for Murphy, but as the latter came back early he will be hoping to start. I would prefer to play one of Atsu / Murphy behind Perez for speed and technique.

• RobLeenio

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:22 AM

Rackateer from early this morning, thanks and welcome to the blog.

• A Pain in the Blog

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:23 AM

I don’t think most posters get MA at all.

He bought NUFC for one reason only – as a billboard to advertise SD. Now, that was a piece of lateral thinking that proves he is a shrewd and innovative businessman. NUFC is very successful in the purpose for which it was bought. He can ignore it – as you would a billboard – knowing that it is doing its job at no cost to him, and he can even rake off some extra millions on the side as a nice little bonus.

While we are all cursing him and gnashing our teeth at his antics, he is blissfully unaware – and totally uninterested – in NUFC’s other raison d’être as a football club. He’s totally absorbed in playing his retail game with SD, HoF and Debenhams. Transfer window? What are you on about? He barely notices us.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:24 AM

at least we know where our transfer fund went now

• martoon

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:25 AM

Shoulders knees – Jesper was closest with Jane an honourable second.

• Just a fan

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:25 AM

Just seen jibs video re Sunderland newcastle.i used to get the train from manors to Wallsend after matches. Man it’s fans must have got the train there so one side Manu other side Newcastle chucking hings etc. No police.god I thought how I going to get my train I was bricking it.never mind I walked .slid.between the to sets in the gap between them.it was fine but my point is it was just mob rule.i don’t like being part of a mob it gets out of hand often

• RobLeenio

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:26 AM

Ashley’s cronies are going to have their hands full with turning House of Fraser around. Will that give them time to do anything with NUFC at all or will the club become ever more neglected?

At some point, Ashley is going to start seeing it as an unwanted asset and a distraction from his main business he does not need, as well as being a very saleable asset with Rafa in place. He’ll surely (hopefully) start becoming more amenable to further bids as that happens.

• Aces-of-Eights

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:26 AM

apparently a club is worth 1.8 times its turnover.. so how much are we really worth?

• Ron Knee

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:29 AM

House of Fraser bought by Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct for £90m

• Dondatta13

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:30 AM

So, he HAS bought HoF for £90 Million…

I think Amanda Staveley may have missed a trick here.. MA has always “dreamed of owning a department store”. AS could have put in the bid to buy HoF and used it as leverage to get her hands on NUFC.

• 9

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:31 AM

Lindisfarne @ 41 Kenedy????

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:37 AM

I think t’s a good time to play Spurs, just as I do Chelsea and Arsenal over the first few games and think we will win more points out of the first 8 games than most people expect but I don’t think we will pick up many away points and I think the away form will hurt us over the course of season I just hope we can make the home form count.

• lochinvar

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:39 AM

A Pain in the Blog@43
    Spot on.
    Some assume that the billboard and signage advertising Sports Direct in and around the ground is aimed solely at supporting his UK stores. Partly maybe.
    The bigger picture is that the Sky/BT/Netflix broadcasts reach a global audience and Sports Direct has a large European and wider global exposure that he’s targeting including markets such as China so no coincidence that our short sponsor is focused on Asia.
    Not least of all sportsdirect.com which reaches a global online shopping audience. Money for old rope as they say.

Even if he sold NUFC you can bet that a deal would be struck even at a subsidised or discounted rate to keep Sports Direct signage at the fore.

• Just a fan

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:41 AM

Re Ashley money for house of Fraser didn’t he just sell Dunlop recently for like 100 million.or have I got that wrong

• lochinvar

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:41 AM

Bingo

Dubrovka
    Yedlin Lascelles Clarke Dummett
    Ritchie Diame Shelvey Kennedy
    Perez Joselu

Bench Bingo ?

• Jib

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:42 AM

I’ve worked out NUFC turnover as approx.
    £190M so Ashley has pretty much got his
    valuation at £350M pretty much spot on

• DubaiMicky

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:42 AM

You’ve got to say the fat twat has done a great deal there, the Chinese investors were going to put in £70m and still wouldn’t own it, the fat twat put in a bit more and now owns 100%.

BUT, tft only owns 61% of Shite Direct, but as he owns so much he can run it as his own kit.

• RobLeenio

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:45 AM

loch “Even if he sold NUFC you can bet that a deal would be struck even at a subsidised or discounted rate to keep Sports Direct signage at the fore”

Yep, agreed – this aspect of the club ownership is too valuable to him to let go, though the club itself is not. Surely a deal could be reached where any future owner allows Sports Direct advertising on a pre-agreed commercial basis around the ground, with incremental increases factored in dependent on future success and a fair first-refusal agreement on future sponsorship contracts.

This would allow for Ashley to dispose of the club but keep the aspect of it which is commercially most valuable to him.

• Jib

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:45 AM

I see the shadow government is blaming
    Mike Ashley for the movement from high
    street shopping to online shopping.
    Idiots

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Jib

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:42 AM

I’ve worked out NUFC turnover as approx.
    £190M so Ashley has pretty much got his
    valuation at £350M pretty much spot on

It’s funny though Jib…that no one seems to want to pay that!

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:47 AM

House of Fraser chenging it’s trading name to Dis-Grace Bros, Are you being “RIPPED OFF”

• Jib

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:47 AM

#56
    minus 1 pretty much
    😛

• RobLeenio

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:48 AM

Micky, I like the new avatar, far better than having to look at his photo every time you post
    😉

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:48 AM

Changing

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:49 AM

I Know it is Ashley’s money but it would be nice to know if any of the NUFC monies went to buy House of Fraser.

New Sponsors – House of Fraser ??????

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:50 AM

I want us to start with our top 11 regardless of match fitness to get the side up to speed as fast as poss.

………………….Dubravka…
    Yedlin…Lascelles.. Fernandez..Dummett..
    ……………….Shelvey..Ki…
    …..Ritchie………Perez……Kenedy..
    …………………..Rondon….

More likely…….Dubravka…
    Yedlin…Lascelles….Clarke..Dummett.
    ……………..Shelvey..Diame…
    ….;;.Ritchie…….Perez……Murphy..
    ………………..Joselu…. I suppose, but it’s nowhere near as good.

Ki is a starter alongside Shelvey by the way. Not a squaddie.

• Jib

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:50 AM

Jesper
    So right
    Something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay
    But
    I’m fairly sure you have an idea of what your house and car
    are worth
    and you have to start somewhere

• Jib

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:51 AM

Fernandez played a full game for Swansea
    in the Champo last weekend

• oldarse

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:59 AM

NUFC buys HOF discounts around the corner yipeeeeeeeeeee.

• geordiesteve520

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:00 AM

FFS, Ashley has used OUR money to buy House of Fraser. I tweeted this a few days ago to Mark Douglas who denied it, in support of Ashley. Lazy journalist!

• c-dog

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:01 AM

Ah I reckon Rafa has the answer to survival. Anything more is a bonus.

• A Pain in the Blog

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:02 AM

Cheers

• lochinvar

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:05 AM

For the year to 28 January 2017, the House of Fraser group had gross assets of £946.3m and made £14.7m net profit.

Ashley has paid £90m to own them
    Looks like he has done the maths,unfortunately

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:06 AM

“In a perverse way Benítez is his own worst enemy: keeping Newcastle in the Premier League is essentially Mike Ashley’s sole aim until he finds someone to buy the club, and Benítez did that with relative comfort last season. Ashley thus does not have the imperative to spend big money, and has to just do enough to keep the manager, a hero in the stands, from walking. But there must be a point where all of this impacts on a thin-looking team: even if Spurs look a little undercooked themselves, Ashley could witness the harsh realities of his policies first hand.”

The Guardian.

Decent take on things, but the chickens won’t be coming home to roost so early as this weekend fella. Nice open end to end 2- 1 home win for mine.

• A Pain in the Blog

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:14 AM

geordiesteve520 @70

How come you KNOW that MA used our money to buy HoF? And why attack Mark Douglas for not being up to speed with your spontaneous intellect?

MA is worth £3 billion. He can afford £90 million on his own to buy HoF without our money. If your total wealth was £100,000 it would be like you spending £3,000 on a new toy.

• Moonraker15

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:15 AM

Dubai
    If Ashley is sitting on 500 million + in banks, how come he say all his money is tied up in shares in SD and therefore he can’t afford to invest in NUFC?
    I wouldn’t trust that man to run a Christmas club honestly!

• Toon&oot

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:16 AM

I love the optimism of some fans. Staying positive is one thing but when you have had 10 years of mis management, false promises, court cases and PR spin, I think it’s fair to say this year will be struggle. Rafa being constantly undermined has got to have an impact on the players. If it goes tits up we know where to point the finger or two!

• kennyg33

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Don’t normally post but feel I need to share my thoughts after reading similarly narrow minded comments over the last month – sick of hearing pretend fans stating that the issue with mike Ashley not changing is all the fault of the 52,000 fans who continue to turn up to watch the team regardless of how Ashley treats the club.
    52,000 fans turn up every week not to support the mike Ashley regime but to support their team, Newcastle United, because we always turn up to watch our team regardless of who we sign and how good our players are.
    The vast majority of nufc fans aren’t used to any level of success and have watched poor teams and a lack of success for as long as I can remember – but we still go because we love watching football, we live the passion of match day and we love our club – not the glory days of Keegan (although it was wonderful while it lasted) but the ups and downs associated with Newcastle. Not the poncy flair players who only turn up for a season or two then move on but the hard working grafters who really care and love a crunching tackle.
    We turn up regardless of who the owner is cos it’s our team and we love the optimism that we can beat anyone but deep down know it’s never going to quite go our way.
    As a kid my dad, as a sunderland fan, took me to sunderland for my first game and they won 5:1 with the likes of bobby Kerr playing. Next week he took me to Newcastle and we got beat 2:1 off arsenal and went on to be relegated. I didn’t choose to support Newcastle cos we would win games, I chose to support Newcastle for how I felt stood in the gallowgate and the noise I could still hear when we left early to run to get the bus yet the crowd were still cheering, shouting and screaming even though we were crap and we lost. That’s why 52,000 turn up every week – CIA of the love of the club and the collective hope and passion. Those who can’t see that and claim we’re fools for turning up just don’t understand what it’s like to really be a fan of nufc and I can only feel a sense of sadness for what you are missing out on.
    I like 52,000 others, and my 4 kids who I now drag along every week, will continue to be there Ashley or no Ashley just because it’s newcastle united and that’s all that matters to me.

• jarra lad

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:18 AM

Breaking news: Ashley has just bought House of Fraser for £90 million. So that’s where Rafa’s transfer budget went!

• kennyg33

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:21 AM

Apologies for posting twice but I put it on an old thread by mistake: