web analytics

Ashley To Strengthen The Squad In January – Here’s Why He Has No Choice

There’s no doubt the Newcastle scouts led by the impressive and hard-working Steve  Nickson will be looking for some new players Newcastle can bring in during the January transfer window.

They could be on loan from the continent or even permanent buys; loans with an option to buy much like we signed Dubravka last January, could be the way to go.

Depending on what Mike Ashley is willing to spend in January will decide how many players are brought in.

Why do the words “not much” enter my mind?

But this will possibly be the last transfer window for Rafa Benitez at Newcastle if he has not signed a new deal.

Rafa Benitez – at Saturday’s game

We don’t think he will have put pen to paper on a new by January.

The success scenario this season is that the performance in the second half on Saturday was no fluke, and we start to do a lot better than last season – before January.

Remember we went 9 successive league games with only one point and 8 defeats in the last two months of last year.

At the halfway point last season we had 18 points from 19 games, and we were in 15th place – 6th bottom and 2 points above the drop zone with a goal difference of -10.

In the second half of the season when we had Dubravka and Kenedy in the side for most of those games, we took 26 points from the games and finished 10th overall on 44 points with a goal difference of -8.

So in the final 19 games, we had a goal difference in those games of +2.

So a good checkpoint is where we are after 19 games, and that’s just before the transfer window opens again.

Unfortunately, if we are doing well, Mike Ashley could decide no spending is necessary if we are in no danger of relegation.

But that would be totally and utterly stupid not to support Rafa next January.

So yes – he could do that.

Indeed, if we are doing well and Rafa can get three new players in he wants then the manager could even decide to sign an extension to stay on at the club.

If Ashley decides not to spend any money next January for whatever reason – Rafa will leave Newcastle for sure next June.

That would be a tragedy of enormous proportions for Newcastle United Football Club and our fans.

• 9

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:49 PM

Given our run of fixtures, I’ll be over the moon if we’re not bottom 3 after 10 games. Over the season, I’ve no worries, but I really, really wanted 3 points on Saturday against a team very unlikely to be at their best to offset what is quite likely to ensue. 3 points at Cardiff now absolutely essential.

• getoutofworeclub

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:51 PM

Good news lads the toon have been sold I don’t no who by but all I no is he is south Korea we’ve been bought for 300 mil that’s all I no at the minute from some 1 I no well it mite not be true but here is true the lad who told me found out Saturday

• crawfordm

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:52 PM

Oh my god – we have just closed an underwhelming transfer window and off we go again. Why oh why will Ashley change his spots now . If Rafa has not signed a contract then Ashley will not put in substantial funds for a manager who may leave 6 months later !!!
    On a seperate issue will our new signing Ki be off to the Aisan games in a few weeks ????

• Mag52

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:52 PM

Jib (previous post),

I said ‘up to speed’ meaning ‘awareness’.
    You have taken the word ‘speed’ too literally. Easy mistake to make.

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:54 PM

Is it the owner of Samsung

• RobLeenio

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:57 PM

getoutofworeclub
    Aug 13, 2018 at 12:51 PM

Interesting – I hope you’re right, but I’ll have to believe it when I see it I’m afraid, no offence to you or your mate.

• BeeGuy

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:01 PM

By January we will know who has not grown into Rafa’s more expansive style of football (If it can continue due to few injuries). Those players will have to be sold off prior to bringing in more. So expect outgoings until the last days when NUFC sweep up the “last of the rest”. .

• RobLeenio

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:03 PM

The odious ferret (Dennis Wise) on Sky Sports:

“if you trade well at a football club and you’re able to bring players in and take players out and make money, I don’t see what the problem is with that.”

The problem, Dennis old pal, is that the money does not belong to Mike f’ing Ashley, it belongs to the club, which appoints a manager to spend as he sees fit. The fact Rafa has not been able to do that is nothing short of scandalous.

The club ownership may be with the fat tw@t at the moment, but its spirit belongs to the fans and always will. His deliberate strangling of the club is a crime against football fans everywhere

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:08 PM

Getoutofworeclub

Thanks for sharing, the hope is eternal in the life of a Newcastle Fan, I hope you’re mate is right, but this has been too under the radar for me to give it any real credit… Let’s wait and see, hopefully there is something in it!!!

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:11 PM

I posted this on the previous thread but the bus moved whilst typing so apologies for the repost!

With the criticism being aimed at Yedlin and Ritchie on the second goal I think toonces sums it up pretty well. All in all I don’t think anyone is actually giving the first time cross from Aurier the credit it deserves. That was a beautiful cross, absolutely wonderful, any side would have struggled to defend that. The back line was wrong footed by the botched clearance from Dummett and had to regroup, it just ended up with the ball going to a great crosser of the ball in Aurier who delivered it perfectly into the path of one of the games great late arrivers in the penalty area in Alli… Credit where it is due, if either Ritchie or Yedlin did pick up Alli, does anyone really think it would make a difference, either would inconvenience him in the air and imo Alli still scores that header with pressure from either Ritchie or Yedlin giving his strength in the air. It was a good goal by spurs, not one where we should be looking a scapegoat!

• getoutofworeclub

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:16 PM

It make Sence if true Ashley wanted 400 mil for the club he took all the TV money bought house of Fraser for 90 mil and sold the toon for 300 mil

• RobLeenio

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Lascelles, fair point, my intention really was to defend Yedlin who I thought was taking some unwarranted flack rather than to attack Ritchie, but you’re right, credit where it’s due, that cross, Ritchie’s for Joselu and Joselu’s own pass to Kenedy were three real moments of quality

• toonluvva

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:18 PM

Mr Ashley really doesn’t HAVE to do anything. He is a gambler, and he has shown that he is willing to risk our EPL status by not investing in the playing staff.
    His only motivation is being PAID to advertise Sports Direct and now House of Fraser. If he believes that nufc can finish higher than 18th with the current squad, then so be it.
    The purchase of HofF will mean that what limited attention he paid to NUFC will be reduce even further.
    I do hope that the rumour from Getoutofworeclub is true and that we do indeed have a new owner.
    Some of the purchase price can be recouped by offering fans the opportunity to remove the Sports Direct advertising boards.

• RobLeenio

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:30 PM

From a logical point of view, it makes sense that we could be bought by a Korean, having just bought Ki Sung Yeung. He’s been the Korean Captain (now retired from Internationals?) and is a very marketable asset in that country, I imagine. People wondered why he chose us over any other Premier League team or European team and this could explain things quite nicely.

• Mag52

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:36 PM

Ashley Out.

• jezza442

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:37 PM

So if the club is sold,can I go in sports direct now ,the kids need some new school shoes lol

Only joking I’m going to h of f ………….Doh!

• Belfast

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:39 PM

He definitely didn’t use the TV money to buy house of Fraser like. That rumour is the biggest pile of pish ever.

He has absolutely no interest in selling either. From his point of view, It’s probably the best financial position he’s had the club in. Every player on the books nowadays probably has a relegation reducer in their contracts, highly paid manager in the last year of his contract and no significant outlay in the transfer market.

The club is financially prepared to drop back into the championship if/when it happens with minimum fuss.

So why the fcuk would he then take 90 million from the club and buy house of Fraser ? It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. Haha

• Mag52

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:39 PM

Robleenio.

That response will answer Crawfordm’s query regarding Ki and the Asian games.
    I imagine he won’t be going as he has retired from international action.

• RobLeenio

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:42 PM

Mag52, yep, that’s my understanding.

crawfordm, sorry, I didn’t see your query I would have answered you direct.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:54 PM

Rob

Sometimes you just have to give credit to an outstanding passage of play which Spurs second goal clearly was… Just like Joselu’s goal.

I watched the spurs backline for Ritchie’s cross and the fact that he put it onto his left foot on the right hand side really caught the spurs backline out, they’re back line looked as if it was about to step up but Ritchie’s great cross, released very quickly when he got it onto his left leg was another sensational cross. Sometimes there is no real fault, just a great passage of play which both goals came from!

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:57 PM

News just in the cast of Biker Grove and Auf Wiedersehen, Pet with the power partners behind the scenes Ant and Dec and Sting have purchased Newcastle United for 500 Million. Rafa will 100% now sign knowing this power group will give him what he wants. The making of this movie is fictitious and no animals were hurt during the making of this news story.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:57 PM

There’s obviously been a load of job cuts at the box office, you just can’t get through to them anymore.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:59 PM

News must be really slow when people are actually tring to make sence out of getoutofworclub’s ”rumour” dear oh dear.

• 9

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Rob @ 12 Agreed, but plus a couple of Kenedy’s dribbles (moments of quality) early 2nd half.

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:09 PM

getoutofworclub #2

Don’t shoot the messenger, Why does Ashley need to sell? All Ashley needs to do is avoid relegation season after season and he will net a cool £100Mill + profit from the Sky money alone, in 3 or 4 seasons Ashley will accumulate his £400 asking price for the club, he keeps his free advertising the STs and kit sponsor money will pretty much cover the running costs of the club, tell me where you can make easy money like that? . Ashley just needs to keep us in the Prem.

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:11 PM

Should be £400 Mill

• Wayayman

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:11 PM

Nostradamus@21, it’s ‘Byker’ but you should have seen that one coming 😉

• Wayayman

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:12 PM

So just after the resistance starts gathering pace, the ‘takeover’ rumours resurface? Hmmm…

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:14 PM

wayaman,
    I’d wouldn’t even give Bishop the credit with this latest rumour, it was about as credible as DubaiMickey’s pinch of salt.

• martoon

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:18 PM

Nostradamus@21 – Biker Grove – is that the show where a group of Motorcyclists form a youth club? 😀

• 9

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:21 PM

dig@25 Much as I don’t want to, I can’t help agreeing your analysis. The gargantuan sums TV is throwing at the EPL must be irresistible to anyone with enough wealth to buy an EPL club and who wants to make money out of it. The myriads of posters on here who lash our owner incessantly for his ability to make money out of NUFC can certainly be sympathised with, emotionally, but not economically. MA must laugh his socks off at the insane transfer fees now current: £66m for a keeper; £71m for a keeper; Mourinho reported to be upset his £100m bid for a centre half failed. This is, surely, madness on an epic scale, and MA is extremely wise to dodge the lot of it. His trick now is to persuade our (and his) trump card to stay: that truly would be worth spreading a little of his ample wonga.

• lesh

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:23 PM

Jail

Dubai passes on his rumours with a pinch of salt.

Jib needs a pinch of something up his nose before he can function………..

😉

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:23 PM

We are not expecting that, why do you keep using the extremes, 12m each on a LB and RB to add to our squad would have been great additions and in line with the promise Ashley made, publicly, a few times.

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:27 PM

Lol right, Byker, in my defense it is 5.30am and I have not had my coffee yet. I said weeks ago that Ashley will give Rafa what he wants before January transfer window so he signs a new deal. If we are sitting good or bad in the league, my thinking would be that he does want to sell and having Rafa tied to a contract at the club is a great selling point.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:31 PM

Basically, some lackey with a bit of football knowledge, probably Shola, Wise or JfK has told Mikey that Clarke can cover LB and that we have Manquillo, this was all he needed to allow Churnley to bumble any dealings to bring in cover in those positions

• crawfordm

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:32 PM

#18 #19 many thanks for the reply concerning Ki

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:32 PM

how did the demonstrations go? I haven’t heard anything.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:37 PM

i’d rather change formation than play Clarke or manquillo at fullback. Yedlin is probably our weakest player but he’s one of the only ones we can’t replace adequately.

• 9

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:38 PM

Jail@33, very fair comment on those particulars. I concede your point. I don’t think it makes a great dent in my point, however. It seems like MA was being particularly tight-fisted earlier this month, his HoF exploits can’t be unconnected to this, wouldn’t you think (OK, he’s ALWAYS tight-fisted. I guess that may be why he has earned enough money to buy NUFC and I (and, possibly, your own good self) hasn’t).

• 9

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:40 PM

TNMW I’m afraid I agree, Yedlin is our greatest weakness (goalscorer apart, obv.)