web analytics

Newcastle Winger Wants To Be Noticed This Season

Callum Roberts played at West Brom yesterday in the 1-1 draw and he equalized in the second half for Newcastle.

The impressive local lad knows he has to get Rafa’s attention this season by scoring goals and getting assists too.

Callum will either stay at Newcastle this season but could also go out on loan to a lower division club to get some first team games.

Callum turned 21 in April and it’s now time for him to show he can become a first-team player at Newcastle.

Callum Roberts – in action in the preseason

This is what Callum said on nufcTV after the game yesterday:

“It’s always nice to start the season with a goal – but definitely I need to add more goals and assists to my game.”

“It’s goals and assists which get wingers and forwards noticed the most – be it to get a loan move, or to impress the first-team manager, because that’s what he [Benitez] is going to be looking for.”

“It was a really good experience (preseason), where I played in all the games, but I needed to get a full 90 minutes in for the U-23s, which I’ve done now.”

“Being away with the first team has been great; you play with better players, the standard is higher and the intensity is totally different.”

“You’ve got to up your game when you go up a level, and I think I did that really well during pre-season.”

“But now it’s about translating that back into the U-23 setup and helping this side reach the next level too.”

“This is my job, it’s my job to score goals and make goals, so you’ve just got to try and forget the occasion – it doesn’t matter where you’re playing, or who you’re playing against – and try to perform to your best.”

“We worked really hard in pre-season, both on the pitch and in the gym, so now it’s about translating it from the training pitch into every game. If I can do that, I’ll be really happy.”

Another local lad, 21-year-old Adam Armstrong, was sold to Blackburn Rovers this summer and that was a disappointment that Adam didn’t make it at his hometown club.

We hope that Callum can show some excellent form this season and make his way permanently into the Newcastle first team squad.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:24 PM

Chinese consortiums can have unspeakably high amounts of yuan that they are happy to invest in foreign markets with less sovereign risk than China. They like to have a chunk of their assets in pounds, dollars, euros and yen etc, to diversify and protect their wealth against currency fluctuations. So a Chinese buyer is something that Ashley will be angling for if he is indeed still looking to sell because they are potentially willing to bid higher than the clubs “apparent” market value. This one might have legs.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:33 PM

Just watched the U23s highlights v WBA and our lads looked really good. Apparently we had a very strong team out but I couldn’t find a team listing for us anywhere on the NUFC official site.

The site is definitely in need of a proper web designer, put your CV in Kacper.

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:34 PM

Terry,Sammy,Ancient6 or what ever name you post under tomorrow, take your politics FCUF OFF to Guido Fawkes.

• SredniVashtar

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:35 PM

Essex Geordie bill

I think my post splitting is more the result of my incompetence at using any kind of website that isn’t google or Wikipedia and less to do with fancy science, although maybe I could use that excuse for things in the future……

You’ll be here for a long long time if you think my name is an anagram

Sredni Vashtar is the title of a short story by Hector Hugh Monro under the alias Saki – don’t just read it on Wikipedia like jib did when I entered the blog!
    I would recommend getting hold of the story itself on google (I’m sure it’s on the web somewhere) and reading it – it’s a great tale and only two or three pages long.
    I feel it somewhat mirrors the plight of nufc under the Ashley regime – you’ll see the parallels when you read it
    😉

• SredniVashtar

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:36 PM

Don’t read about it on Wikipedia I mean – it spoils a great story

• SredniVashtar

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:38 PM

Here we are – give it a read lads

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:47 PM

SV, yeah that was actually me that posted the wiki version. When I first saw your name on here it prompted a clear recollection being read the story by my Dad at bedtime. Should have posted the very excellent original. Bad form, I apologise.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:57 PM

Sredni

So do you see Conradin as NUFC and Mrs DeRopp as MA? 🙂

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:01 PM

EGB

I’d say the ferret was MA and Mrs DeRopp is Bishop 😆

• martoon

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:07 PM

Jail @159 – I can’t agree, like I said earlier bits of itk information about transfers and sale of the club etc. are what I love to read. I know most of it will turn out to be rubbish but still good fun.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:09 PM

Shire

Conradin was the sickly child that had no care or attention.

Mrs DeRopp was the nasty short sighted person who sold off his precious chicken (good player) to spite him (the fans)

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:11 PM

The ferret is surely idealised new owners, Mrs DeRoop Ashley and Conradin us. Yikes!!!!!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:12 PM

Nicky

What else did your dad read you at bedtime, Poe or Lovecraft perhaps? 🙂

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:20 PM

Ha,ha,ha, yeah, fortunately, I was too pooped and too much of a dunce to be overly perturbed by his choice of bedtime reading material, and was off to the land of nod about a paragraph in. Nae bother.

• lochinvar

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:22 PM

Spot the crap reporting. Yedlin could miss a large chunk of the season ? You might think then that rules him out of the Cardiff game ? Or not necessarily ?

Yedlin is deemed a ‘serious doubt’ for this weekend’s clash with Cardiff and could well join Florian Lejeune in missing a large chunk of the season if news from the club doctors comes back as negative as some are fearing.

Heres’ what The Chronicle’s Chris Waugh has said about the injury today.
    ‘The USA international is still being assessed by United, but there are fears he could face a lengthy absence – and Yedlin is a serious doubt for this weekend’s trip to Cardiff City.’

• jane

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:28 PM

“I couldn’t find a team listing for us anywhere on the NUFC official site.”

1 F. Woodman
    5 S. O’Connor
    2 J. Sterry
    3 L. Gibson Substituted
    8 D. Barlaser
    4 O. Bailey
    6 K. Watts
    10 S. Longstaff
    7 C. Roberts
    11 Víctor Fernández Substituted
    9 L. Charman Substituted

• NY Mag

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:44 PM

Lindisfarne & Lesh,

thanks for reading & responding earlier
    I really don’t know what the true story is behind this, I guess we’ll find out in time what occurred

I don’t want to keep bleating on about the same story (i’m sure a lot of people are bored of it)

I’ll leave you with one final snippet to muse over – while the 22M in the accounts was officially called “Onerous employment contracts & other charges” it was from a section of the accounts called “Provisions for liabilities”

Since I really didn’t know what that meant, I search the accounts for any plausible explanation and tucked away on one of the last pages is this section (which is intriguing)

“Contingent liabilities

In April 2017 HMRC attended certain Company premises and executed a search warrant. Subsequent to these events, Newcastle United Football Company Limited (“NUFCL”) received claims from HMRC relating to alleged underpayment of tax and national insurance, and interest to date thereon. The amount that has been claimed by HMRC has been assessed by the Director and an accrual has been made in the Company’s financial statements. The amount accrued represents a best estimate at this time of the amount which may be payable. The amount claimed excludes any amount which may be payable in respect of penalties and only reflects amounts the Company has been made aware of. Claims have been lodged against these assessments, and the matter remains in the hands of the Company’s legal advisors.

In the opinion of the Director, at this stage in the process, there is insufficient information available to enable him to make a reliable estimate of either the un-accrued amount or of any liability which may ultimately arise in this regard, or when any such sums may become payable. “

• SredniVashtar

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:47 PM

No problem Nicky – it’s all in the past.

Hopefully some wondrous ferret will liberate us from the evil Mrs De Ropp !

Do one thing for me, sredni vashtar
    Do one thing for me, sredni vashtar……..

• RobLeenio

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:51 PM

Loving the literary parallels to NUFC tonight – feels like an alternative book club. I first came across Sredni Vashtar in GCSE English. Loved the story, I’ve read more Saki since and he’s a great writer.

What’s next though, NUFC as ‘Moby Dick’ with Rafa as Captain Ahab and a decent transfer budget as the eponymous whale? The Jungle Book with Ashley as Shere Khan, Bishop as Kaa, us as Mowgli and Rafa as Baloo? Or maybe Ashley is Nag, Rafa is RikiTikiTavi and we have some Chinese figure like the father of the family coming over the horizon to finish Nag off.

We can but hope…

• jane

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:00 PM

sounds plausible.

“reflects amounts the Company has been made aware of. Claims have been lodged against these assessments”

maybe the club have a good idea that the final amount will be much less than 22M but have used this as justification for putting this money aside/not spending it on players.

maybe West Ham haven’t accrued for it and will be clobbered 😀

• jane

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:18 PM

there was plenty of domestic football tonight (EFL cup and National league) but tomorrow there are no matches involving clubs in the top 5 English leagues or any champions league qualifiers and Sunderland’s EFL cup match is on Thursday which is unusual for a Wednesday, surely this can’t be so that nothing clashes with the Spanish Super cup!? there seems to be very little top level soccer around the world tomorrow evening either apart from Darlington v Blyth Spartans.

• jane

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:21 PM

it’s not the Spanish Super Cup it’s the Super cup which explains it!

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:21 PM

As we’re talking about evil villains and comparing them to our ‘illustrious’ owner, I came across this which I find very apt:

“There are a couple of fat supervillains out there that could stand to spend some time on the treadmill. … horror movie, but to comic book fans The Blob is simply the greatest fat evil mutant of all time”

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:23 PM

Mike Ashley = The Blob = Fat, Evil Mutant

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:26 PM

Ooh, “Darlo v The Spartans”, Crikey, I’d love to be there. Reminds of how I used to love nipping down the coast to see the wonderfully feisty Hartlepools Darlo derbies. Hell of a racket. Good stuff, and sadly missed.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:26 PM

Actually, that’s too mean. The blob hasn’t done anything to deserve being called Mike Ashley.

• toon22

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:58 PM

Can anyone remember when the toon was about football and not about figuring out the current financial position
    Its like were more about money and not football

Funny that aint it as theres only one person interested in money and were dancing to his greedy tune
    I get that were supposed to fund ourselves but youd have to be an utter idiot to not see whats happening for what it is

We are a profitable advert for tat shops

The rest you see on here are people payed to manage the crowd and stop any meaningful opposition to MAs plans
    Remember he is a playground bully and dont like people questioning his ways or opposing his plans

I would say this is where hurts him the most,hurt him where he likes it the least,his actions shows where that is regardless of his words

• toon22

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:01 AM

Im sure lots of people will think different some are actual fans

But there are some here whos only purpose is to stop this,to divide and conquer

That alone show you exactly where it hurts him

• toon22

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:08 AM

Why do you think his lacky Denis Wise was on his chosen media partner today with his BS

He dont like the us saying stuff as it is and prefers everyone to toe the line.

Hes a bully

• Jib

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:11 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    boring repetitive f@ckwit

• Graeme

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:33 AM

Jib – you’re too kind at times lol

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:48 AM

Jib

Cheers for the info, I see that one of our new lads got some pitch time.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:49 AM

Jane sorry, should have been thanking you not Jib.

Genuine error there not a dig.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:53 AM

Just been watching the Folk version of the Proms that I recorded whenever it was on.

Featured The Unthanks who were good and some really top class other folk acts, worth getting on catch up if anyone hasn’t already seen it.

• RobLeenio

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:15 AM

I like the Unthanks – I’ve met Rachel, she’s a good lass. I’ll have to check it out on catch up, cheers Bill

• Veltman

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:27 AM

Well, leave Jib alone.He is working hard for me to get me atleast $10k a month.That is all that matters isn’t it? 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:52 AM

Veltman,
    Good morning, at what time would you typically start chewing khat, isn’t 08:50 a little bit early, even for you?

• jazzyp

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:00 AM

So we clinging to a hope we’ve been sold eh lads??
    Let’s hope there is some legs behind this claim as I doubt why Ashley would want to sell while making 100 mill a year out of the club

• jazzyp

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:04 AM

Heard some whispers that a Chinese Company has bought #NUFC for £320m + the £144m ($£464m total) owed to Ashley – Owner of the Company is very respected and powerful Chinese Man whose name was not disclosed – Also same amounts (£320+£140)bandied about but buyer was South Korean.

And so it begins

• Lindisfarne

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:07 AM

Is there going to be another protest at SD Cardiff?