web analytics

Cardiff Manager Defends Ashley – Passes Judgement On Rafa Benitez

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock has given his press conference for tomorrow’s game in South Wales against Newcastle.

Warnock has done extremely well to get Cardiff promoted since he only joined them back in October 2016.

So in his first full season in charge, he had them automatically promoted in second place behind Wolves in May.

You cannot ask for more than that and it was Neil’s 8th promotion in his career.

And joining Cardiff was Warnock’s 17th management appointment since he went into management way back in 1980 – when I was a boy.

Rafa Benitez and Neil Warnock at St James’ Park, November 2016
We won 2-1

The news making the headlines from his press conference is not that he said Newcastle were a magnificent club and have a great team (he came close though) but rather he supported owner Mike Ashley.

He was asked about any Newcastle weaknesses, and we mustn’t have any because this is how he answered that question:

“I think that’s a bit of hot air.” “If you look at their squad and their players, they’ve improved from last year and they finished 10th last year.”

“So I don’t know how much more they could improve. I think that’s a bit tongue-in-cheek and I think Mike Ashley is an easy target: ‘Let’s blame him.’”

“You’ve only got to look at what the fans are saying.”

“But the one person Newcastle can’t afford to lose is Rafa. He’s in his last year now and it’ll be interesting to see how that develops because he’ll be targeted around the world I’m sure.”

“Newcastle are a good club, they’ve got some good players and a good following. Rafa’s done a good job and it promises to be a good atmosphere all round.”

“It’s an exciting time for everyone at the club, it’s going to be a cracking crowd, nearly a full house and it’s what we’ve been striving for.”

“When I came to the club, they’d thought I was in cloud cuckoo land if you’d said we’d be playing in front of a full house.”

“We’ve got as much chance of beating Arsenal as Newcastle, but I don’t’ worry too much at home about anyone.”

“Away from home I think we’re capable of getting results.”

“I understand there’s games more difficult than others but everyone is difficult to us.”

“I was pleased to get the opening week, disappointed about the goals but from a manager’s point of view, it was nice to see us in the game until the death.”

“I already know it’d be 100 times anything I’ve done in my career to keep us up in the league.” “I’m in the game for days like tomorrow, I’ve got goose-pimples thinking about it now.”

“The fans have been pivotal in my 8th promotion and I want to repay them with some enjoyment. At this stage of my career, and with the financial situation we’re dealing with, it makes me more determined.”

Cardiff lost 2-0 at Bournemouth last week.

Rafa will be giving his press conference within the hour, and he will not want to talk too much about the transfer window.

That’s over and if the seven players we brought in are as good as we think they are we could have a good season, and finish maybe higher than 10th place.

It’s time now to concentrate on the football while Rafa’s Recruitment team scout the three or four players we can sign in January.

🙂

How Will Newcastle Fare At Cardiff?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Tramp

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:51 PM

Neil Warnock Newcastle United manager Championship season 2019/20.

• A Pain in the Blog

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:54 PM

lochinvar (#58 last thread)

I have to concur with your bingo prediction v Cardiff. It’s not what I’d like to see – I’d prefer Ki to Diame and Rondon to Joselu – but it’s what I think Rafa will choose as a starting XI.

Dubravka
    Manquillo Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Ritchie Diame Shelvey Kennedy
    Perez
    Joselu

[cut and pasted]

Hope you don’t mind sharing the prize money, prestige, etc.

• Huw Turbervill

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:00 PM

Ancient Corbyn
    You are wasting your time on the issue of joining Momentum. I was unfortunate enough to witness their dirty tricks at Arsenal last December. I have no interest coming to any of your events.

Corbyn’s problem is that he has a past that will keep being brought up. The mural he admired; the dodgy individuals he’s invited to the HoC; the anti-Semites he has spoken alongside; the terror groups he’s called friends… now this.

The picture of him giving the Muslim Brotherhood hand sign in apparent solidarity next to a smiling member of the group. The Brotherhood were the same organisation which spawned Al-Qaida.
    Give it up and don’t write to me via the Cricketer again or I will come on your blog again, just give it up.

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:00 PM

I don’t agree with Jail that the bingo
    is virtually a foregone conclusion.
    There are a lot of fascinating permutations

• Chancel My MBembaship

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Warnock – one of those mouthy Yorkshireman types with the ‘say what I like and like what I bloody well say’ attitudes. I’d take Rafa with his dignity and intelligence any day of the week over Warnock.

• Markaccus

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:04 PM

If ever anyone needed convincing of how much of a tw@t Warnock is, here you go.

I was going to say “there’s our next manager” but have been beaten to it.

• RobLeenio

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:08 PM

All good then

Sheesh….

• RobLeenio

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:09 PM

Great to see Ed chipping in with some music.

Ed, don;t you know this is a football blog???

😉

• Pottsclock

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:10 PM

Neil Warnock. What a plonker. I really want us to pull them apart tomorrow so I can see him all red faced and hysterical on the sidelines. No doubt if we win he’ll claim the referee made an error

• Markaccus

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:17 PM

If he’d stopped talking before he got the part he claimed Ashley is an easy target, he would have looked almost respectable. But no, he had to have a say defending him.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:18 PM

£120 for three tickets in the platinum 😮

• Munster Mag

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:24 PM

Well said chancel re rafa

• toon22

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:32 PM

Just because MA is asset stripping the toon it dont make him.bad

FFS

• Toon&oot

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:33 PM

Typical viewpoint of an outsider looking in. The fact is we did finish 10th and might have a better squad but the fact is other clubs are progressing at a faster rate than we are. We are ranked bottom in relation to investment on players. To me the most damning is pundits managers etc failure to recognise the constant lies and false promises Ashley has made to the supporters on our football club, the latest being the ‘every penny’ statement. Warnock won’t be the last manager to fly the Ashley flag.

• Rafa the Gaffatape