web analytics

Rafa – We Have To Focus On Football – Coy On Whether Rondon Will Start

We would expect Salomon Rondon to start the game at Cardiff City tomorrow.

He came on in the second half against Spurs and played well and almost scored when he hit the crossbar after 86 minutes.

But Joselu had one of his (much) better games for Newcastle and scored an excellent headed goal after only 11 minutes from a perfect Ritchie right-wing cross.

So it’s an interesting choice Rafa will have – we have a feeling he may start Joselu and bring on Rondon again in the second half.

Also right-back is open with Yedlin missing the game, and it’s probably between Javier Manquillo and Federico Fernandez – but we’ll see.

Salomon Rondon – will he start tomorrow?

Here’s Rafa talking a bit about the transfer window this summer:

“Everybody is spending big money on players, but will they all work out? We will see.”

“It will be easier for some of our players as they have been in the PL for a year, but now other squads are stronger.

“Now the transfer window is closed, we can just focus on football. That is my focus. Some players may go on loan – but not the senior players I want to keep, no chance for them.”

“But the rest we can just focus on doing our best.”

We created so many chances during the second half last weekend. We need to do the same at Cardiff for 90 mins if we can.”

” Cardiff are very strong physically, it will be a tough atmosphere, and we have to be both physical and try to play good football to beat them.”

“Every game will be difficult for us. We will approach every one trying to get the same. Cardiff is the next one, so it is the most important one for that reason. That is it”

“It’s quite difficult – when a striker is scoring a goal (like Joselu), the other one’s coming on and pushing (like Rondon).”

“Normally, what I do is wait and make the decision at the end.”

“So nobody knows, everybody’s on their toes, and it’s good for the team.”

That was always a controversy at Liverpool that the players didn’t know until shortly before the game who would be in the starting eleven.

That’s the way Rafa does it – and given his record in football, there cannot be too much wrong with that.

If some of the players don’t like it – they will get used to it.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare At Cardiff?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• RobLeenio

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:11 PM

I don’t see why not knowing you’re playing or not is an issue. Everyone should be preparing the same way leading up to match day anyway. If anything, having players turn up knowing they have no chance of starting means they’re less likely to prepare well.

• hibbit

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:13 PM

RobLeenio
    i could be wrong here but Woodman is not classed as in the squad and Rafa said “Anyone who is in our squad, they will not go” Rafa seem to emphasize in the squad !!

i think Woodman needs and will go out on loan

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:15 PM

Ancient,
    Do you think that is carl, it’s definitely the same person giving you shit but I didn’t think it was him, what was that abiut cricket? I hope it’s not swallocks.
    I hope Rondon does start there’s no reason why he shouldn’t

• AncientC

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:21 PM

Jail, yes, I figured betty may have an axe to grind. But the same multiple has been popping up for what must be nearly a year now, so fairly sure it is carl. I could be wrong though. I suppose I have probably rubbed a few people up the wrong way on here, so the list could be long lol.

I am none too worried. They are doing themself more self-harm than me.

• AncientC

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:27 PM

‘Friday brings news that the number of Newcastle United Live TV matches has increased by one.

Sky Sports are now showing the first four Newcastle games in all competitions, with the Forest League Cup match selected.’

Very welcome news.

• RobLeenio

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:28 PM

hibbit, he has a squad number (41) unlike some others (Lazaar, Saivet, Aarons). Not sure if that means anything in reality.

I assumed he would go out on loan, but just picked up on what Rafa said above.

• RobLeenio

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:28 PM

That’s great news AncientC, I’ll not be travelling down to Notts midweek so happy to be able to watch it.

• SredniVashtar

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:44 PM

“They are doing themselves more self-harm than me”

As opposed to doing other people self-harm?

So sorry ancient couldn’t resist – no hostility or ill feeling implied !

🙂

• RobLeenio

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:48 PM

It’s fairly insistent directed your way AncientC – just one post per day, but with the same message, often with an implication they’ve followed you from another blog.

It’s hardly terrorism in the mode of Funki Tsunki, more a constant drip like Chinese water torture. Best off ignoring whoever it is, I reckon.

• hibbit

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:59 PM

Thanks RobLeenio i must have missed that.

• AncientC

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:02 PM

Sredni, no worries, I noticed that boob after I posted it.

Rob, yeah, there is only one person on the blog that keeps mentioning ‘momentum’ being outside football stadiums, same message, different accounts. Goes right back to carl/Ian Toon. Master of disguise he isn’t. He is fairly harmless.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:08 PM

Rob as you mention that to AncientC, I thought I noticed an ancientcoptic posted recently and I think that used to be ancients old moniker if memory serves me right… Someone obviously trying to get a rise.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:09 PM

Ancient

It was ancientcoptic any one point or am I going crazy?

• AncientC

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:17 PM

Lascelles, yup. Shortened my name years back. One and the same.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:19 PM

There was an ancientcoptic poster recently, I did think it odd at the time however… Moving on lol

• Online Guy

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:27 PM

Jail

Someone mentioned the Krays..Tynemouth , a few people joined in … some good comments …

I posted a link for Tynemouth…then I see a post from you saying I was Posting stuff while Drinking !

Your assumption was wrong and pretty Damn Insulting .

I could see you getting more and more frustrated as people wrote about a subject that seemed alien to you , 60’s Newcastle .

Seems like whenever anyone broaches another subject on the blog, ie; Music, Guitars, to name but two, You can’t handle it .

If it’s not about Ashley out you seem limited in your conversation and thought process .

You come across as a grey man and Boring to the extreme.

The above reply comes about because of you snide remark.

• Kenedyshow

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:34 PM

Can we still sign players on free transfer? Marchisio has terminated his contract with Juve! We should def try to sign him If possible!

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:46 PM

raj of hailsley

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM

JfA
    Deary deary goodness gracious me,some posters are having more faces than the venerable Ganesh !

My favourite multiple: D

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:48 PM

OLG,
    I’ve read a profession of violence on the Krays and once held a guitar, if that’s any good to you?

• RobLeenio

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:49 PM

Kendeyshow, yes we can sign free agents.

Will we, however, is the question we should be asking.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:51 PM

We need a LB back up if there’s one available for nowt.

• hibbit

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:57 PM

LAZAAR HAVING GENOA MEDICAL

Sky in Italy is reporting that Newcastle left-back Achraf Lazaar having a medical in Italy ahead of his move to Genoa.

• hibbit

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:59 PM

anyone know if this deal gone through ?????

• beermonkey

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:00 PM

jail

just a left back

all our players have to cost nowt or we cant have them

• RobLeenio

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:01 PM

This has been posted before, but as it’s relevant – free agents list

Not many left backs at all, and not one I’d jump at.

Funny seeing Jack Rodwell on the list…

• RobLeenio

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:03 PM

hibbit, I heard the only thing holding it up was Genoa wanted an option to buy, we were trying to make a compulsory purchase a condition of the loan. They’ve obviously come to an agreement, so hopefully it’s in our favour

• beermonkey

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:13 PM

rob

i know he is trouble but i would take a punt on nasri for a season
    although not read anything bad about his club football just international

as for rodwell do you think he regrets going to city

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:31 PM

beer,
    Unfortunately not, he’s made himself a multi millionaire to ease the anguish over whether he should have stayed put or lowered his sights. I don’t think he deserves another club after Tuesday he behaved down the road but it would be funny if we took a punt on him and he got an England call up at the end of the season 😀

• hibbit

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:37 PM

could Rafa turn Rodwell around??
    would we want to turn him round ??

he has it in him but can he knuckle down again and find that form again
    i just don’t know if he’s worth the risk

• hibbit

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:40 PM

jail

what happened on tuesday ????

• beermonkey

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:40 PM

jail

suprised wet spam havent signed him they love failed england player

• DaveD1000

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:56 PM

Hibbit 29
    Craig David took her for a drink

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:00 PM

Tremoulinas is a good player on a short term deal, 32 so could get the season and next out of him. I see Pogba’s brother on the free list too!

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:04 PM

Less than an hour ago
    The Genoa FC Chairman blocks Lazar’s transfer

• Get up salmon

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:05 PM

Never knew there was 2 sir alex Fergusons whats the odds of having 2 Scottish sir alex Fergusons

• hibbit

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:06 PM

DaveD1000

i’m totally lost here what am i missing ????

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:08 PM

Is Lazaar that bad he is actually better than having no back up at all. If it’s just about wages I’m surprised Rafa gives a foot anymore.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:12 PM

Taking my lad to his first game next Sunday, I hope he doesn’t want to bail at half time after spending £120 😮

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:22 PM

Jail for Ashley
    Taking my lad to his first game next Sunday
    So
    There’ll be at least 2 spectators who won’t
    have a clue what’s happening

• Moonraker15

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:22 PM

Oh dear! Looks like Ashley might have bought himself £90 million worth of trouble with HoF. The debts of £484 million include key suppliers and services. Sports Direct have no obligation to pay the debts but there are doubts as to whether HoF can operate without these creditors. Did SD do the due diligence? Watch this space!