web analytics

Rafa – We Have Long-Term Issues At Newcastle – Only Big Money Can Solve Them

Rafa Benitez has again addressed the transfer window and how Mike Ashley once again refused to spend any real money in the summer transfer window which is now closed.

We made a profit of £20M this summer, and Rafa takes the example of how he signed Joselu last year for £5M, but when you get a striker for £5M you also get the skills of a striker who costs £5M.

So maybe it’s not surprising the Spaniard only scored 4 goals last year although he did get off to a good start this season scoring after 18 minutes against Spurs.

Good for him.

Rafa has been criticized by some pundits this summer for complaining too much about Newcastle not getting the players signed that he wanted – and that was for the second summer running.

Pundits like Sam Allardyce, Richard Keys, Andy Gray, and Dennis Wise have stuck the dagger in and criticized Rafa in recent weeks.

Rafa Benitez – we have long-term issues at Newcastle

That’s what they tend to do to make the news and get noticed.

This is how Benitez has responded to that criticism as reported in the Chronicle today:

“It’s very simple if you want a striker that can score 25 goals and they’ll have to be quick, good in the air and have good mobility – you have to pay £50M.

“So we signed a player who we liked (Joselu) because he could give us competition up front.”

“The problem that we have at Newcastle United is that it is a long-term issue.”

“To fix this issue you have to spend big money.” “If not you have to be really lucky with the players you bring in.”

“Always when signing players you have to find the balance between experience and those who have to perform right now.”

“You have players that have time and you have to give them it.” “I’ll give a name – Isaac Hayden.”

“We bought a young player that could develop and grow then be an important player for us.”

“He is an important player for us, but he still has plenty of room for improvement.”

“It’s not like you try a player who is 30 and they can’t do it.”

“Sometimes you need players to give young players confidence and they need time to grow and improve.”

“When you try to create a squad that is strong enough for the future too you have to find this balance. That has been our idea.”

“Rondon has experience in the Premier League.” “Muto has experience out of the Premier League but both players can give us something different.”

“Rondon has mobility and is strong.” “He can head the ball and bring players into this game.”

“We were looking for mobility from a big man and we have that now.”

“We now have Joselu and him competing for this position. And we have Ayoze competing with Muto.”

“Muto is more dynamic and has more mobility.”

Excellent comments there from Rafa, aimed at an owner who doesn’t like to spend big money on players.

Rafa needs some significant funds to spend in a transfer window to get some top players in, and he hasn’t been given that in any one of the five transfer windows he’s had to suffer through under owner Mike Ashley.

As Rafa says – it’s a long-term issue at Newcastle that only big money will solve.

And we don’t think that can be solved as long as Mike Ashley is the owner of Newcastle.

What do you think?

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:33 PM

Ashley out

• Online Guy

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:34 PM

Danny Boy

Please, this is not a place for Political clap trap.

You will have noticed it’s a place to talk football . Naughty .

• RobLeenio

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:34 PM

RUNAWAY777
    Aug 20, 2018 at 3:26 PM
    Hope kenndy learns from that if he dose get off with that kick out one day he will be the complete footballer just dont think it will be for us as only here for the season and so maybe rafa .

I agree with the first bit but not the 2nd. He does need to learn from this and will, I hope. He is already a pretty complete footballer, is quick, can tackle, pass, beat a player, head the ball. He’s still raw though and needs to learn his trade.

Also, he may only be contracted for a season, but he wants to be here long term. There’s something about this club that gets under the skin of South American players and isn’t easily shaken off. Look at the Robledos, Nobby, Tino. Kenedy will do his best to secure a long-term contract here I’m sure of it. IF Rafa stays, which I think he will

Nothing to back this up with, just a feeling.

• Jib

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:34 PM

I actually think that’s a bit naff

The headline
    “Rafa – We Have Long-Term Issues At Newcastle
    – Only Big Money Can Solve Them”

is presented as if it’s a quote from Benitez which it isn’t

Gutter journalism at it’s worst

Ed go and stand on the naughty step

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:37 PM

Catchy,
    You can come and go to work as you please, it’s got nothing to do with me. I’m just highlighting the many times you go missing when your opinions are proved false ie McLaren and Benitez a few times. You couldn’t keep away from the blog when we went through that black November yet were nowhere to be seen when we put it right, it’s this inconsistency that make your opinions so blinkered. You coach kids so have a basic/moderate understanding of tactics etc. Your beef seems to be this weekend that Rafa did not play the way you would have wanted him to but, who’s to say that a 3-5-2 would have fared better. You don’t like the manager and have quietly waited in the wings for a disappointing start, you’re praying for more of the same we had against Cardiff so it makes your opinion more valid. If we come out of this horrendous fixture list with our heads held high you’ll be nowhere to be seen.

• lesh

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:38 PM

Jib

Your crawls must’ve take their toll on your memory me owld son. The Ouseburn Bridge is in the dip beneath the Byker bridges – it served the then Ouseburn village. Unless you’d taken a very long detour, you’d have got onto Jesmond Road via the Armstrong Bridge, hitting the Punch Bowl before the Cradle Well and onwards through Sandyford to the Blue Bell or the Globe.

Can you remind me whose name was above the door of the Globe when you used it and which of the rooms was your haunt?.

• Black and white armpit

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:40 PM

Jail hits the nail on the head, cap doffed

• Online Guy

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Jib

Not sure if the Chippy you mention is still open ?

If your near Esh Winning any time pop into Fields chippy .. Chips are a throw back..Beef Dripping and Coal fired cookers ! .. Would you believe Prince Harry and his Bro Will pop in and
    Eat Fish and chips whenever they have been up to see mates In Northumberland and Durham.

They eat them out of Paper !

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:43 PM

Lesh

Jib is clueless when it comes to the Geography of Newcastle, many a time I’ve pulled him up

There’s no Ouseburn bridge, there is the Ouseburn via duct for the trains.

The small bridge next to the Shipp inn is called Crawford’s bridge. It’s the oldest standing bridge in Newcastle.

• Black and white armpit

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:43 PM

Stantons (Bimbis) on Neville St. still use dripping too, best in Durham.

• Online Guy

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:44 PM

Lesh , Jib was pissed remember ! By the time he got to the Ouseburn he would have been lost in space.

• RobLeenio

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:44 PM

beef dripping fish and chips served at Beamish museum too. Proper job…

• Online Guy

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:46 PM

Jib would make a good character in any edition of Viz !

Wonder what Chris would call him ?

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:47 PM

Roger irrelevant is already taken

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:47 PM

Lesh #6

That’s a long list for Jib to Google

• Online Guy

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:51 PM

Tynemouth ,

Just catching up ….When I sent you link to that other Greys club and the bloke that ran it I did have the thought that the owners would be a generation and a half or more ahead of you in terms of years ..and you would be a young Stud , Don Juan , around town.

• Online Guy

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:52 PM

Jib

Did you ever see Queen Victoria ?

• Online Guy

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:54 PM

OP

Roger Nouveau.

• Jib

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:55 PM

Lesh
    Guess what the Armstrong bridge crosses

notice I didn’t put it in capitals.

• Jib

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:56 PM

My dad always called it the apprentices bridge
    Allegedly it was built by Armstrongs apprentices

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:56 PM

Starbeck chippy is still there. Not the same owners unfortunately.

It’s definatley Armstrong bridge near the corner house.

A lot of people are of the belief that Jesmond dene Heaton park and Armstrong park were donated to the people of Newcastle by Lord Armstrong, a wee fib

What actually happened was Lord Armstrong lost that land in a card game to a common man, he couldn’t afford the taxes so gave it to the people of Newcastle.

There’s one of those Heritadge signs behind the tanners arms that tells the full story.

I ain’t caught up today so if that’s been mentioned my apologies.

• Online Guy

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:56 PM

Jibs Viz Character , anyone ?

• RobLeenio

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:57 PM

Online, we’ve all seen her man – she sits at the top of Front Street in Tynemouth.

Not sure which footy team she supported, mind.

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:58 PM

Jib

There’s a big board before you go on the bridge now, tells you all it’s history.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:58 PM

OG @ 11…glad you brought viz up,I’ve been meaning to mention this for a little while. A week or so ago, I happened to say that MA puts me in mind of Spoilt B@st@rd from Viz. It occurred to me a bit later that he may well have been the inspiration for more Viz characters….Eight Ace, Cockney W@nker, Big Vern,spring to mind. I’m sure there could be more.

• Jib

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:01 PM

There are 7 tyne bridges
    Only one Tyne bridge

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:01 PM

Jib

Built at Armstrong’s factory.

Not sure if it was the first with electric lighting but sure it’s close.

Cragside house was first with electricity just as Newcastle was the first city with electric street lamps. All down to Lord Armstrong.

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:02 PM

Jib

Do you know what the word Tyne means?

• lesh

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:02 PM

Optimistic Panda

Ah ha, so the bridge beneath the Ouseburn Viaduct and Byker Bridge is Crawfords Bridge. We used to call it the Ouseburn Bridge. We live and learn

I

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:03 PM

I’ll give you a clue, it means the same as Thames

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:03 PM

Bit late with the name game but I used to work with lists of employees, one of which was Lidia Piana, and my own doctor is called Doctor Proctor. Honest!

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:06 PM

Lesh

Yes, it was built by a man called Crawford who had several pubs and factories one side and a load of houses on one side and no way for his customers and tennenants to cross. So he built himself a bridge.

Im from Heaton, I love the local history, there’s a lot going on down over here regarding the history. Victoria tunnel etc, mine of history down there

• Just a fan

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:07 PM

I was allways led to believe the oldest bridge in Newcastle crossed the Ouse burn at gosforth

• RobLeenio

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:08 PM

Tosun “my own doctor is called Doctor Proctor” – reminds me of a proctologist my Grandad told me about called Ben Dover. Not sure I ever believed him.

• Jib

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:09 PM

An owld geezer I knew at Hexham
    told me Tyne came from the fact the
    River forked North and South
    Prongs of forks are called tines

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:11 PM

Lesh

Unlike jib I don’t need to Google for this stuff, I have a genuine love of the history of Newcastle so read everything I can. Also get involved with some of the local tours and walks.

Newcastle has some amazing and unique history, our name is firmly on the map for great engineering and inventing some amazing machines.

I may get the odd date or name mixed as there’s so much intertwined history but as a rule I know my stuff on Heaton and the Ouseburn, it’s where I grew up.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:11 PM

Rob…..just the word proctologist makes your eyes water!!

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:12 PM

Jib

Its a old Anglo word that means River.
    There you go son, use it as your own

• Online Guy

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:15 PM

Tosun

I can imagine if Ashley was around when the Donald clan were running the show there would have been a creative accountant bat fasterd In it.

What would Ashley’s character be Called ? I’ll start it off.

Robin B’stard .

• lesh

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:16 PM

OP

The Tanners is a fair walk from Armstrong Park – they must of been pi$$Ed when they out the plaque up! 🙂

Armstrong was but a side character when it came to developing the uses of electricity. He was a contemporary of Charles Parsons, Alphonse Reyrolle and Norbert Mertz who joined them on Tyneside at a time when industry was growing space.

And, I was told that Hebburn was the first have electric traffic lights. Not sure about that one though.

Wasn’t it Armstrong who landscaped Jesmond Dean – he was find of his Rhododendrons.

1 2 3 6