web analytics

Next Two Years Are Vital If Local Lad To Make It At Newcastle

The Newcastle U23 side overwhelmed Sunderland 5-0 at St. James’ Park last night in a terrific display.

With Sunderland now in League One, this is the highest level of a Tyne-Wear derby, and it certainly got a lot of coverage in the local Newcastle press.

One player who had an excellent game and looked a cut above the others in the Reserves was local lad Jamie Sterry.

He was disappointed he was even in the squad for Saturday’s 0-0 draw at Cardiff where Javier Manquillo deputized for the injured DeAndre Yedlin, and then midfielder Isaac Hayden replaced Manquillo in the second half.

Jamie Sterry – had excellent game last night

Jamie reacted to his disappointment in the right way and let his play last night do the talking.

This is what he said on the Newcastle website after the game last night:

“For me, it was good to play. I want an opportunity to play in the first team and all I can do is give my all.”

“I feel like I’m good enough and last weekend I felt like I could have had a chance, so it was a bit disappointing.”

“But you’ve got to keep your mental strength really high and try to be positive about it.”

“All I can do is give 100%, and I asked to play in the game because I want to play football and show everyone what I can do.”

“I’ve got a great family around me, great friends and girlfriend, so they help me to be positive about everything and tonight I feel like I gave a good account of myself.”

“It was great seeing a lot of the lads getting a taste of playing at St. James’ Park, which is the best feeling in the world, and I thought we did really well.”

“We put on a good show and showed people what we can do. If you start well in a game, get an early goal, you can kick on and it makes everything more relaxed.”

“Everyone was psyched up but you have to not let the moment beat you. You’ve just got to focus and do your job.”

“All the lads coped really well tonight; before the game, everyone was buzzing, a couple of them were a bit nervous because some of them probably hadn’t played in front of so many people.”

“But I thought everyone was really good.”

In the last couple of seasons, Jamie’s been on loan at Coventry City and Crewe Alexandra, and he may be loaned out again this season.

But the lad wants to stay in the Newcastle first team squad and fight for a place in the first team.

He made his debut late in the game when we hammered Spurs 5-1 at St. James Park two years ago – after we had been relegated – when he came on for Moussa Sissoko.

Jamie has played 4 times for the Newcastle first team and a combined 29 games on loan at Coventry and Crew.

The next two years are vital if Jamie wants to stay at Newcastle and break through into the Newcastle first team – his current contract runs out in June 2020.

Given Manquillo’s poor performance on Saturday Rafa may keep Jamie with the first team squad at least through the end of the year.

We expect reinforcements to be brought in during the January transfer window.

That’s the hope in any case.

• RobLeenio

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:13 PM

Sterry’s definitely been working on his strength this Summer. I said when the first photos of them returning from training came out that he looked bigger, he definitely is.

I’d be keen to see him get a run in the team, maybe not thrown in vs Chelsea though.

• toon kk

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:19 PM

Well done to Jamie.

On the Cardiff game and our sh.t performance i hold Rafa totally responsible, yes MA should have strengthened our squad but jeez how the fk can we win a game by playing back and sideways football with Joselu up front then wait so long to change what was clearly not working. A chance of 3 points wasted.

• TyneMouth

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Regarding our new commercial partner, eTorro, does this mean even more ‘Bull’ ar NUFC?…

• RobLeenio

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:23 PM

toon kk, change the record mate you’ve been saying the same thing every day for four days….

And I still disagree.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:23 PM

Rob

Remember Mbabu’s immense PL derby, against no other than the mighty Chelsea, maybe that sort of game could bring the best out of him.

I’m in the throw him in against Chelsea camp, it’s a risk but one worth taking imo. I think we’ll see Yedlin back for Chelsea.

The left side is the spot up for grabs for this game, I think atsu will come back in there to cover Kenedy but I’d like to see Ritchie back out left, Murphy out right with Muto supporting Rondon who can be a focal point for crosses rather than inverted wingers.

• TyneMouth

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:24 PM

….. At NUFC?… even…

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:25 PM

Derby = debut

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:28 PM

Tynemouth

It means we will have a lot more ‘wallpaper’ and even less ‘expendable cash’! 😉

• RobLeenio

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:34 PM

Lascelles, you certainly wouldn’t see me complain if he was named in the starting 11 this weekend. I think it may be a bit early, but we’ll never know till we try.

Also, he had a full preseason with the first team. He’ll never understand their patterns and style of play better than he does right now, until he gets a good run in the team.

If Atsu does start out left, Murphy will be first change on the wings. He can play either, which means Rafa can choose to replace either Ritchie or Atsu, dependent on who needs it. Not a bad option to have.

• RobLeenio

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:40 PM

bosamuelson
    Aug 21, 2018 at 1:55 PM
    Don’t use Etoro for trading anything, the spread is super high. Best for security and user-friendliness is binance. Have been a user of both for ages. Coinbase is normally used to buy the Bitcoin etc in the first place. Little tip, is is going down further but be set up and ready for it. Here are my links to both sights, I really wouldn’t both with Etoro.
    Binance: https://www.binance.com/?ref=15575765 Coinbase: https://www.coinbase.com/join/5a2ee9c5e6a89200c7b0cc6b
    Have Fun

Thanks bosamuelson

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:42 PM

From the meager amount of info I can garner the only U23 we have out on loan is Josef Varney, so there were quite a few of the potential 1st teamers not playing last night including Fernadez and Sangare, can’t see them being lined up for the Chelsea game though.

And, I can’t see why Sterry would be prevented from being in the squad for Sunday from a fitness point of view, there’s nearly a week to recover.

After last night I’d like to see our new Wee Adam in the 1st team squad, Adam Wilson that is.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:43 PM

Insert an “after” where appropriate. 🙂

• RobLeenio

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:49 PM

Bill, he’s only 18 but looks a prospect. When was the last time we brought a player that young into the first team? Aaron Hughes vs Barcelona at the Camp Nou?

In terms of debut’s you don’t get much bigger than that, BTW

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:01 PM

Jamie has earned his spot I think, lets be honest here I feel he’s way better than Manny. Rafa has had the youth set up now for a few seasons and we still don’t seem to bring anyone into the first team, this has to change soon.
    We cannot keep on loaning players out for them to just be overlooked all the time for the first team and eventually just leave the club after all the time and effort Newcastle have put into the growth. Why we sign these kids after scouting them and not giving them any chance is beyond me, is our youth set up only for the fact that we have to have one, honestly if we are never going to use them lets just cancel the whole program and stop wasting everyone’s time and efforts. Players come to mind and I feel sometimes our management looks at the ages of players and say they are to young to play in the Prem, here’s a few that come to mind, Rooney, Giggs, Fowler and even W

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:01 PM

Wilshire to name a few.

• jayphoto

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:04 PM

Sterry actually any good? honestly never seen him play.. used to like Mbabu, and hes building a great reputation since leaving, was disappointed we never gave him a run when we didn’t have great options..
    Think right back has been our achilles heel for as long as i can remember… Janmaat, Carr, Barton were all suspect for getting caught out of position. Best right back ive seen in a toon shirt was Habib Beye, his career after leaving us was a surprise, was excellent in that 1 season we had him!

• toon kk

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:05 PM

Rob
    I haven’t posted on here every day in the last four days and like so many was naturally disappointed with our preference on Saturday. Not sure why you thought it was OK?
    There’s a lot of posters on here who spout the same sh.t on here day after day.

• toon kk

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:06 PM

Performance

• RobLeenio

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:07 PM

Nope, I’m wrong. Aaron Hughes is only 4th on our list of youngest Premier League players, all the other three debuted more recently than he did – Kazenga Lua Lua youngest, then Adam Armstrong, then Andy Carroll then Aaron Hughes.

Carroll’s European debut was sooner than Aaron Hughes’ Champions League debut also – he was still 17 when he came on vs Palermo in 2006.

• jayphoto

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:09 PM

@nostradamus – don’t think its an age thing, think its generally that our youth sides aren’t good enough? From the outside looking in, i’d say we seem to have had a lot of players in international youth sides, french u18’s, england u16s etc that have gone on to do nothing. As someone that came through an academy system, if we have players that are peaking at 17/18 its because we’re promoting and focusing on the kids with early physical development which is all good and well till 19 when it equals out. Was a common fault of english youth academies in the 1990s n early 00’s, ive seen nothing to suggest Newcastle under ashley wouldn’t be out of date. Got a feeling there its all about the fastest and strongest rather than mentality and brain

• jayphoto

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:11 PM

@Robleenio- Carroll on a free next summer now you mentioned him..
    Didn’t young adam Campbell get 20 mins in a UEFA cup game when he was about 17? (he was adam armstrong before adam armstrong was adam armstrong)

• RobLeenio

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:25 PM

toon kk, fair enough it may not have been every day, but you’ve posted the same thing multiple times since the match (and during it?) – lets move on, it’s a blog not a party political broadcast for the I Wish Rafa Had Subbed Joselu for Rondon / Kenedy for Murphy / Perez for Muto Party.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:31 PM

Nostrodamus @ 13

Have to say I was in a mind to make a similar comment to the one you have made so succinctly.
    What’s the point in having an academy if the players are never given a chance to prove themselves.

And I totally disagree with the comment saying we don’t have any good enough to step up, in fact some of last nights lads are better than, imo, than some of our present incumbents.

Sterry, Barlaser and Fernandez could all play in the 1st team nee bother.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:45 PM

Lesh

Sorry about mine and Roblenio’s gaffes in talking about football on a political/music/nostalgia blog.

To partially redress the balance I want to say given the current state of Italy and Greece I believe getting out of the EU will be a very good move.

It seems likely that the bridge disaster could be the tip of a mafia generated building scenario with a lot of other shoddy constructs being likely to collapse in the not too distant future. Costing the country billions which we would be expected to contribute too.

And Greece is shyting itself at a no deal Brexit which will plunge them deeper in the clarts.

Immigration was the least of my worries in voting to leave.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:47 PM

Time for the next bus Ed.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:47 PM

I’ve only been using Twitter for two days and Dennis bloody Wise has blocked me already for asking him if he’d be willing to be interviewed by George Caulkin and asked some real questions 🙁

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:49 PM

Oops looks like my grammar was actually OK with no “after” needing to be inserted anywhere.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:51 PM

Jail, well done you’re getting to be a real scourge of the bad boys, keep it up. 🙂

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:01 PM

Jail

It’s probably the most popular Wise has ever been!

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:05 PM

What do people think of Shearer saying Aguero is the best foreign player to have played in the prem.

I’d of went for Henry possibly Cantona or Bergkamp, a few decent to choose from.

Aguero is a great player but I wouldn’t give him the accolade of best foreigner.

• toon kk

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:07 PM

Rob
    Yes your right let’s move it’s a blog for expressing your views.

• catchy in norway

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:10 PM

If only Jamie Sterry was spanish.

• catchy in norway

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:16 PM

OP

i think you could add Zola or Henry to the list

peter schmeichel would be on there too

• catchy in norway

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:19 PM

toonkk

your not allowed any view unless it’s been vetted by the sheeples.

god forbid you have a different view, as it’s not really a different view, it’s a conspiracy.

heard mentality will bring you to justice

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:20 PM

Is Shirebrook about, I need Twitter lessons pls.

• RobLeenio

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:25 PM

Jail, it’s easy. Log in, find something to be offended about, tell everyone you’re offended, log out.

Simples

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:27 PM

catchy,
    What herd is that, are you referring to the 97% herd of fans that are happy with Rafa Benitez and blog most days. OR the 3% minority that can’t stand him and only ever post when they think that things aren’t going so well?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:30 PM

Would think Sterry is in contention for next week…

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:33 PM

RobLeenio,
    How do you read other people’s comments?
    How do you leave a message on e.g. Alan Shearers page?
    Do only people following me see my posts/tweets?
    Tks

• RobLeenio

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:53 PM

Jail, it depends what device you’re using. The layout changes across android / iphone / desktop. But in general terms, log in, search for people (eg Alan Shearer) and when you’ve found the genuine person, you can tweet them direct. There’s a big blue button on the left side of the desktop page, not sure where it is on mobile devices

To read comments, you need to click below the photo you’re looking at, not on it as that just expands the photo. You can reply to individual comments or to the thread as a whole by clicking on each comment.

If you tweet generally, only those that follow you will see your tweet, unless someone re-tweets, in which case their followers will see it too and so on. If you want your tweet to be easier for people to search, you can add a hashtag ie #nufc or #ifrafagoeswego will alert anyone who searches for that hashtag to your tweet, no matter if they follow you or not.

Hope it’s useful.