web analytics

U23s Looked Excellent Monday Night – What’s Happening With Peter Beardsley?

Rafa Benitez wants the standards of every age group improved at Newcastle, and the U23 team had a tremendous 5-0 win against Sunderland at St. James’ Park on Monday night.

With Sunderland now in League One that’s the highest level of the Tyne-Wear derby we will have for at least two years, although there’s always a chance we could draw the Black Cats in one of the cups.

Since Ben Dawson replaced the suspended Peter Beardsley as the U23 coach in early January, he has done quite well and fitted in nicely to the job.

It turns out that Dawson had prepared the players well before the U23 Premier League Division Two fixture and the youngsters went out and were simply superb.

Steve Harper and Ben Dawson in the dugout on Monday night

This is what Ben has said on the Newcastle website:

“We had probably a five-minute blip at the end of the first half, which I wasn’t best pleased with, but for 85 minutes of the game I thought we were terrific.”

“Everything that we’d asked of them pre-match – focus, intensity, enthusiasm – and then the quality on top of that, I thought was evident for really large spells of the game.”

“It was a perfect night for it in terms of the atmosphere, the pitch, everything about the night – and then the performance just made it extra special.”

“It’s important that you have passion and you compete, but at the same time you have to have game intelligence and I thought we got a good balance of that tonight.

“I thought it was the best I’ve seen Luke Charman for a long time. I thought Sean Longstaff worked his socks off.”

“We asked him and Luke to play a little bit closer than they did on Monday in the 1-1 draw at West Brom and I thought they combined well.

“The wide lads – Callum Roberts, Tommy Allan, Adam Wilson made a difference when he came on – were backed up solidly by the two lads in the middle, the two centre-backs and the full-backs joining in when they were needed.”

“We have got good competition for places, a good honest group, and they all seem to have a desire and a hunger to improve and be better.”

“Steve (Harper) will be a great addition to the coaching staff.”

“He’s got good experience from having played the game for a long time.”

“But also he’s spent time learning his trade, a little bit away from here and more recently back at the club, so he will add something else to the coaching staff.”

Luke Charman scored a brace, and Callum Roberts, Owen Bailey, and Elias Sorensen all scored a goal.

We seem to have some (very) good young players coming through in the U23 squad, and it’s possible that Sean Longstaff has a decent chance to play some first-team games this season.

And talking about Ben Dawson, we wonder when Lee Charnley will make a decision on the appropriate action to take with former U23 manager Peter Beardsley.

This thing has dragged on since January, and that’s plenty of time for Charnley to make a decision, difficult though it may be.

• Just a fan

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:08 PM

Jail for Ashley
    Sorry you don’t have grandchildren you would love them

• TyneMouth

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:09 PM

This is purely speculation on my part, however, regarding the current form of Mo Diame, could it be the result of a slow recovery from the fasting regime endured during Ramadan.

I remembered conversations during the World Cup, debating the fitness/stamina levels of the Muslim footballers.

Certainly, last year, Mo was not up to speed at the start of last season.

As I said, simply speculation. I’m not an expert on fasting recovery, but there must be some legacy after such a rigorous diet, expecially to a sportsman…

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:13 PM

Tynemouth,
    I think it was brought up during Ba and Cisse’s time here. However, considering one of them at least were frequenting nightclubs, casinos and shagging local beauties outside of marriage I really don’t see the footin point of fasting?

• TyneMouth

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:15 PM

I’m obviously making the simplistic assumption that Mo is a Muslim…

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:15 PM

Just a fan,
    I hope I’m not a granda for at least another twenty years. I have two very young children that I’m more than happy with.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:18 PM

Tynemouth,
    92% of them are. Allah got there before Livingstone.

• sing in the corner

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:22 PM

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:24 PM

sitc,
    Very pleased to say I’ll be at this one with the two barons before the game.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:25 PM

*bairns

• sing in the corner

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:31 PM

Good man JfA. Hopefully many others will keep making the effort..

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:37 PM

sitc,
    I’m not sure why we’re not going in to the shop and not allowing any sales? I need to attend a fans meeting, they’ve asked for people not to enter the stores so I’ll abide by that.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:40 PM

I don’t know for sure but I believe fasting during Ramadan is confined to the hours between dawn and dusk other than that they can eat normally. Any Muslims on the blog that can say if that is correct.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:45 PM

beermonkey, do you live near St. Ives that’s where the river seals were, sorry to here one of them was killed.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:45 PM

EGB
    There’s a couple of Muslims on here that could give us there views. Personally I thought religion was dying out because of his biza?re it was, then I heard Gavin Peacock on the radio tonight. His son was born without a hand, I wonder if that had anything to do with his full on Christianity thing.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:46 PM

And tomorrows subject is?

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:47 PM

OMG,
    I said there instead of their, Jiblets is going to be calling me worse than thick as pigs sh!t 😮

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:49 PM

EGB,
    Artificial lawns, the right and wrongs and pro’s and con’s!!!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:49 PM

On the SD shop thingy, I’m curious to know if anyone got lumbered with a load with a load of merchandise cos they couldn’t unorder it.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:52 PM

Jail

My neighbour got an artificial lawn cos her St Bernard kept carping on the grass, it still carps on it and it’s a reet buggar to clean apparently. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:53 PM

Jail

Go and sit in the corner mate. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:56 PM

Oops just realised I’ve got writers stutter. 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:57 PM

EGB,
    I doubt that very much as they can’t take payment until the bank accepts.

• Aces-of-Eights

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:59 PM

Ramadan depends on the time of month as every year it starts 11 days earlier than the previous year. For example this year it was about 17th May until 14th June. Next year it will be around 6th May until 5th June it all depends on sighting of the moon. Now if I pick one day from this years one Friday 1st June for example.. So using 24 hour clock from 02:44 until 21:26 Muslims cannot eat or drink anything whatsoever. From 21:26 of Friday 1st June until 02:43 Saturday 2nd June they can eat or drink whatever they want. Then the cycle starts again cant eat nothing from 02:43 until 21:28 the next day. Times change by a minute according to sunset times etc. So every day this year for a month Muslims fasted for roughly 18 hours. Hope that makes sense.

• TyneMouth

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:01 PM

EGB @#92

I’m sure your right. However ‘dawn to dusk’ in an European Summer is a heavy shift!

What do I know, I’m not a Muslim, it’s hard enough being a Geordie!

• Aces-of-Eights

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:03 PM

Ramadan finished June 14th pre season started July Fasting shouldn’t be an issue for Diame. He just might be a crap player cos age is catching up with him. He was really good for Wigan and West Ham but doesn’t have the legs no more. A 3 man midfield might help or a quick player in midfield. Ayoze and Shelvey are slow and we are not really a very mobile team. Joselu can’t run even if a snake was chasing him. That own goal vs Liverpool last season when he thought he had all the time in the world was so slow and shocking

• TyneMouth

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:05 PM

Ace o 8s..

Beat me to it…

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:13 PM

Diame at Newcastle is the same as he was at West Ham. At some point he’d get on a roll and put together half a dozen good games and the rest of the season he was uselesss. He was never “really good” for West Ham over a full season as their supporters including my brother in law would tell you.

• one fine day

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:24 PM

jib
    one fine day
    Yes big lamp correct .
    Not sure where I got big head from

Probably looking in the mirror at the time

lol oh you rascal . kinda left myself wide open for that one.:)
    btw .. its massive like
    seriously though had them mixed up with these lads in burleigh heads, Aus who do some very nice brews.

• one fine day

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:36 PM

Jfa/ Egb
    have 5 or 6 lads i work with all fast .f@cking nightmare for them.
    they have the special calendar next to the rosters so they can work out what time to take breaks on shift everyday and it changes with the sunrise/ sunset as you said.
    one lad i know will get up at 4 am and have dinner with his family then go back to bed for a few hours before work.
    They are all chefs but cant even taste food during the day light hours so we have apprentices working with them to check , some will not even drink water.
    for the weeks that they do it most are like zombies as it must shake the body around. how the hell a pro footballer can cope with training is beyond me.
    saying that i went out to lakemba with him one night after work and they do night food markets . best kebabs and baba ghanoush i have ever had even at 3 am .(none of the sweaty red cabbage in stale pitta bread i recall from the international in the bigg market lol)
    The main idea is that at the end of the fast they all give food money to those less fortunate ,heard this year they raised a lot of money and are giving it to Aussie farmers struggling with the drought.not something you will read much in the mainstream media though as they prefer to tar them all with the same dark brush.

• one fine day

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:41 PM

Essex Geordie Bill @92
    Yes the Muslim lads at work all say that however hard it is for them they are just happy they are not living in the northern lands which have 20 hours of day light in summer lol
    I always encourage them to google Sunderland so they feel even more grateful.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:44 AM

Ooh, love a lamb sandwich myself. Australia has the best in the world, marvellous doner kebabs, particularly in Melbourne. Good on the Muslim community for donating to Aussie farmers, who are doing it really tough. Strange though that the Australian govt isn’t similarly stepping up. Too busy plotting and staving off leadership coups I imagine.

• TyneMouth

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:02 AM

I raised the question earlier, as to whether the dietary regime that Mo Diame is obliged to follow, because of his spiritual beliefs, has any long/short term affect on his performance.

The flow of information, related to Muslim religious dietary practice, was very interesting.

Just goes to show, that although the subject of religion should be avoided in most social contexts, but there are times when the awareness of the effects of believing in a faith, could be detrimental to the day job.

…and I say this as a totally convinced Atheist…

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:08 AM

Tyne Mouth,
    Ramadan has a huge impact on players. Each to a different extent. If Mo observed Ramadan fully, then it will have an impact on his performance. These guys are high end athletes, competing against other high end athletes, if they change their normal life and routine it will clearly affect them.

I work at youth level, and I see a huge change during and for the first 2 weeks after Ramadan. Any player who fully participates in Ramadan will take time to catch up to full fitness for a professional

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:15 AM

We provide additional food for our kids in the academy to have during hours it is acceptable for their religion. But the religious practice still has an effect on their performance and training.

I/we accept that, all football should.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:23 AM

I am fairly ambivalent to religion, but I respect and would defend anyone’s right to believe in whatever they have faith in.

But if your religious practices stop you from performing at your best, then so be it, in this profession, you are dropped.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:30 AM

You do need a player to replace him though. Not sure we have like for like when it comes to Diame.

Stats don’t tell you everything, but he won the ball from the opposition more times per 90minutes last season than all but Kante.

Not a big fan of his, but for what we currently are, he is huge for the club

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:52 AM

Jail,
    So because Cisse wasn’t the best example for Muslims during Ramadan, we should bemoan the Muslims in pro football that do? Haway mate. You know that is a flawed argument

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:54 AM

Apologies, that should be “howay” the Geordie version. Not with an ‘a’

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:01 AM

Not often I’m back, anyone fancy a pre match beer? I’m hoping I have a ticket sorted for Sunday, but I’d still have a pre match beer somewhere

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:28 AM

So, Mo Diame hasn’t showed this season but in all fairness no one else has either, but maybe considering we shop in the bargain basement, we may be setting our sights too high, comparing price tags, we have been getting a far bigger bang for our buck comparing Diame to Pogba.