web analytics

New Signing Made Of Right Stuff – Keen To Improve – Loves The Passion On Tyneside

29-year-old Federico Fernandez had played one game in the Championship for West Brom before he finally made a dash to Newcastle to sign for us on the last day of the transfer window two weeks ago yesterday.

We expect Federico to soon become a starter at Newcastle with Florian Lejeune out until the new year, although new signing Fabian Scar is also pushing hard for a starting place in central defense.

Fernandez has played 117 Premier League games for Swansea, so once he’s ready, Rafa will bring him into the side – perhaps at Nottingham Forest next Wednesday night in the League Cup.

Federico Fernandez – keen to improve under Rafa Benitez

This is what Fernandez has told the Chronicle today, and he is happy to be on Tyneside:

“There’s passion here. I can see that already.”

“When I first went to the stadium people were visiting and there are people that come to the training ground waiting for the players to speak to them.”

“It’s a city that is very passionate. I love to see that. It’s where I want to play my football.”

“You want that passion in every single game.” “I’m happy to sign here and be here for the season.”

“I’ll try every day to help push players and try to encourage them to improve.”

“I’ve played four years in the Premier League with Swansea.”

“I’m here to work hard every day and improve. I want to get better day by day.”

All our new signings will need to fight to get into the starting eleven, and we haven’t seen any of our seven new players start for Newcastle except for January loan signings Dubravka and Kenedy.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Chelsea

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• A Pain in the Blog

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:38 AM

Tynemouth

“…Any credibility I may have considered, regarding your posts, has just evaporated.”

I left the blog at 21:30 last night and popped in again half an hour ago. I was somewhat dismayed by your contribution since I have previously supported you on many occasions.

I think that many of the sensible posters on this blog will have thought that your own credibility evaporated with your drunken (I hope) rant at Robleenio. Where did that anger spring from? My advice, don’t post after a skinful.

And you must have a sore head this morning. Your attempts at excusing your behaviour make for painful reading.

Disappointed mate.

• jazzyp

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:40 AM

The cousin of Sheikh Mansour (MCFC owner) has failed in a £2bn bid for Liverpool.

Nufc anyone??

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:42 AM

Rafa bingo for Sunday

Dubravka
    Yedlin, lascelles, Clark, Dummett
    KSY Shelvey
    Ritchie Perez Murphy
    Rondon

I still think Muto will be eased in given he came from the German League and will be allowed time to settle and gain experience as the weeks pass from the bench. Clark has probably done enough to keep his place in recent weeks and when it is to be changed I think Fernandez is the next up to get a start in the backline ahead of Schär, purely because he has EPL experience, Schär like Muto will be eased in coming from other leagues.

• RobLeenio

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:43 AM

Pain, Lascelles, thanks for the support.

TyneMouth, generally I find myself agreeing with you far more than I disagree. I respect your opinion on things Toon related and acknowledge that your support for the club has lasted longer than mine (I don’t think I’m wrong believing you’ve supported for 6 decades or more, apologies if I’m over-exaggerating your age).

Let’s put this behind us, there’s too much division on the blog as it is and I honestly did not mean what you seem to have taken me to mean.

• hibbit

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:44 AM

Lascelles

gobsmacked !!!!!!
    didn’t think he was anywhere near that

• RobLeenio

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:44 AM

On Fernandez, he seems made of the right stuff, says the right things and has Prem experience with Stoke. Seems like an ideal fit, I’m looking forward to seeing him play

• Pottsclock

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:45 AM

So £2bn for Liverpool is not enough. Arse estimated st £1.8bn from recent buyout. What are we worth based on that? What is a Bournemouth even worth. Figures are just staggering.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:50 AM

Hibbit

He leaps like a 5 footer never mind 6 foot +.

With that physicality level I would expect a hell of a lot more from him, he wins decent flick ons in the opposite half but I think he looses about a foot when he gets into the box (spurs being the exception).

I am genuinely excited to see Rondon getting a run to see how he improves it, there is no doubt he is an improvement in every facet of the game over Joselu.

I would like to see more aggression from a centre forward his size, it’s not like he is a skilfull player to make up for his lack of physical presence from such a commanding frame!

• catchy in norway

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:52 AM

not to sound like an Ashley fan, but from what I read on here or other sites, I have no real clue as to what is the main protest.
    Are we boycotting SD
    Do we want him to sell the club.
    Do we want him to invest more in the club.
    Are we not turning up on match days
    Are we not buying food and drink on match days.

If you want him to sell the club, its rather silly of you to ask him to invest in the club and then not raise the value of he club, and in turn its a bit unfair to say, you said 300 million last year, and now you say 400 million when circumstances change in his favour,
    2 years ago you could buy a 288gto for 700K now there 2,5 mil.
    so with just 2 players, shelvey and Lascelles them 2 alone must have at least appreciated by 50 million.

pick a hill to die on, and stick with it.

• Bigjim67

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:53 AM

From previous thread regarding Joselu’s height, saw him in Newcastle on Tuesday evening with his family. He’s a tall lad but seemed to be lightweight in stature, whereas Diame is tall but looks like a powerful, well built fella. By the way, got my photo taken with Colo a few years back and he seemed very small for a cb. Was just before he started throwing his strops.

• hibbit

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:54 AM

Lascelles
    lets hope Rondon is the answer, as we dont have much else to pick from

• lochinvar

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:03 AM

The Reubens Brothers seem to think Newcastle is the place to invest in. They’ve bought a chunk of City Centre property already. But horses ( well, trying to build executive houses ) ? Could someone point them in the right direction of SJP.

According to the Ronnie: Plans for a multimillion-pound redevelopment of Newcastle Racecourse and High Gosforth Park have been unveiled by its billionaire brother owners. A host of new jobs are poised to be created at the site following the launch of proposals by Arena Racing Company, the sporting group owned by billionaire entrepreneurs David and Simon Reuben – ranked the 60th wealthiest people in the world in the 2016 Forbes List.
    The proposals will further boost the international prestige of the racecourse, create new jobs in hospitality, tourism and construction, and draw thousands of visitors and their spending into the city.

• Mag52

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:04 AM

Ashley Out.

• Mag52

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:09 AM

My team for Chelsea game:

Dubravka
    Fernandez Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Ritchie Perez Murphy
    Joselu.

( Going for three in a row incidentally)

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:10 AM

Joselu never appears to win headers but his stats put him quite high up. Im sure hes top few for winning headers

• lesh

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:12 AM

Ffs

Some disagreeing with a peaceful protest against the way Ashley’s ruining our club? It beggars belief!

No protests would’ve resulted in no votes for women, the poll tax continuing, Yankee missiles at Greenham Common, India under British rule, segregation laws in the USA etc etc

Sit on your arses and do nowt means Ashley’s reign continues. Sit on your arses outside SD and things might change!

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:13 AM

Mag52

Chelsea will be hard game with 9 players and no midfield!!!
    😉

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:13 AM

I think diames only 6 foot or there abouts

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:14 AM

TNMW

He does seem to win headers when up against midfielders for flick ons but when he competes against centre halves he hasn’t a hope.

• A Pain in the Blog

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:22 AM

From The Grauniad this morning.

“Newcastle fans keeping the Faith
    “Do you really need an explanation of what this T-shirt is about?” enquires Newcastle fan website and fanzine True Faith in the advert for their “Ashley Out” T-shirts which, at the time of writing, have already sold out in XL (behave). Not any more, is the obvious answer and considering the sentiment involved coupled with True Faith’s donation of a quid from every £5 purchase going to the Newcastle United Fans Food Bank, few local causes seem more worthy. Expect to see plenty of these stylish garments on show when Chelsea and the Sky cameras pitch up at St James’ Park for a high-profile date on Sunday afternoon. The brisk sales suggest that even those Newcastle fans who consider wearing anything warmer than a large tattoo on their torsos to be a sign of weakness are prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice to get the message across.”

So there’s another protest. Interesting.

• AncientC

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:26 AM

Catchy: “If you want him to sell the club, its rather silly of you to ask him to invest in the club and then not raise the value of he club.”

It shouldn’t matter. The club either has the money in the bank or has it in assets.

Nobody is asking Ashley to invest in the club—not many anyway—just keep his promises and allow the club to spend what is generates. It’s the least he could do after giving club revenues away to SD shareholders.

• DubaiMicky

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:32 AM

You know, it could be worse for us you know, we could be Brentford FC supporters where our new sponsor is….. A Funeral Director:-

“We are working with one of our coffin suppliers to offer our Brentford-supporting clients a bespoke coffin in club colours and sporting the Brentford FC badge.”

“Welcome aboard to G Saville & Son Funeral Directors who have signed up to become our Official Funeral Partners”.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:34 AM

Lesh, ashleys not as bad as what you mentioned. I think hes just made mistakes

• Jib

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:38 AM

• Jib

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:42 AM

AncientC
    It’s the least he could do after giving club revenues away to SD shareholders.

I don’t think you are that stupid.

He’s not AncientC – he’s just a very naughty boy

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:51 AM

Im not defending him lascelles. I know hes poor

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:55 AM

A lot of these stats on height are outright lies.

I’m 6 4 and I’ve seen Joselu in the flesh, im at least 3 inches taller.

Used to hear the same about Shearer being massive, stood next to him too, he’s 6ft at a push.

Big Dunc was the real deal, only footballer I’ve met my height or bigger.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:57 AM

TNMW

I know you’re not defending him.

Rafa’s perseverance of him is quite painful, he is a good professional and squad player but if we had got Rondon a couple of weeks prior to his actually signing I don’t think we would have seen him starting, injuries aside.

I think he’s poor but he obviously has a place for some reason, maybe he is a consummate trainer that leads by example and works well within the group, I assume he brings other qualities that we don’t see in games for him to still be here, but 40k per week hurts my eyes when I read it!!!

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:58 AM

And Pavel, he was a big lad

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:01 PM

OP

Sir Les was a big lad too!

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:02 PM

Lascellss

Big lad, not over 6ft though

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:03 PM

Andy Carroll is genuinely tall.

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:05 PM

They either exaggerate their height or I’m nearly 7ft and can’t read a tape measure.

Cue scubba

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:06 PM

Overrated

Never stood near him, apparently we’re similar heights.

• Mag52

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:07 PM

Lascelles.

Oops. I did miss out the midfield didn’t I.
    The team I meant to post:

Dubravka
    Fernandez Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Diame
    Ritchie Perez Murphy
    Joselu.

• Jib

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:08 PM

Dave Beasant was 6’6″ with his perm

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:09 PM

I met Kilcline once but I was in my mid teens, he seemed a monster at the time.

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:10 PM

His head was a third of his height

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:10 PM

I thought Sir Les was 6’2′, he was a tank though!!!

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:16 PM

Just checked sir Les… he was only 5’10’, smaller than Shearer!!!

Just shows how mighty you see these guys when you’re a young un!!! Lol