web analytics

Rafa Sends Upbeat Message To Fans About Tonight”s Game

Rafa has tried to explain to Newcastle fans why he cannot play his strongest side in the cup competitions this season.

Since we haven’t won a local cup since back in 1955 when we tore Manchester City apart 3-1  in the FA Cup final – obviously fans want to win a trophy as soon as possible.

And in 1969 we won the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup (now the Europa League) with Bob Moncur as captain.

But it doesn’t look like it will happen anytime soon and certainly not in my lifetime.

Rafa Benitez – message to fans

Here’s what Rafa has said about tonight’s game – essentially a message to the Newcastle fans:

“What the fans I speak to tell me is that they want to see a team that cares.”

“A team that cares for the black and white shirt.” “The players I have picked have that.”

“They may not score two or three goals each or Jamie Sterry will not make 20 perfect crosses.”

“They have to do what they have been doing in the training sessions.” “Work hard, and try to give everything.”

“If they play well – fantastic – because we have more chance of winning.”

“The ones who normally train with us are Sean Longstaff and Jamie Sterry who can be involved.”

“The rest of the squad will be senior players.”

It would really be a lift if we can win this game tonight.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Nottingham Forest In League Cup?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Comments always welcome.

Note: I have been asked by Feedspot to publicize the fact that this blog has been selected as one of the Top 40 Newcastle Blogs on the web – News Websites and Newsletters – and not just limited to football.

There are 3 football blogs on the list, and I understand spelling mistakes did not count in the ranking.

🙂

We are in 19th place and not too surprising Chronicle Live is in the top spot.

Here’s the list.

• Ron Knee

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:22 AM

Lee Ryder

#nufc players understood to be annoyed with talk of bust-up behind the scenes. Understand the incident was a usual day-to-day occurrence at the training ground. There was a heated conversation but was a healthy one. No problems at all between Ritchie and Lascelles.

• A Pain in the Blog

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:25 AM

I may have missed a slice of history, of controvertial British Government policy. Was it common practice around 2007 – as a precursor to the Home Office’s ‘hostile environment’ – to deport goons and idiots to Norway?

• lesh

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:53 AM

Pain,@2

It wasn’t official government policy and the Maybot wouldn’t have known anything about it – like many things politicians wouldn’t have been aware of at the time!

🙂

• lesh

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:56 AM

Referring to the previous thread, I like others, believe the headline should’ve been along the lines of Rafa reduced to having to managing in line with Ashley’s ambitions!

• mac the jaffrey

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:58 AM

See Lee Ryder has been shot down by mr hope as a “puppet”…….who’s the better journalist? There’s only one way to find out…………FIIIIGGGHHHTTT!!

• DaveD1000

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:01 AM

Ed
    Good news about the blog. Your hard work getting some of the recognition it deserves.

Also good news speeling doesn’t count.

• Rob1971

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Just seen the Rafa is too good for our players post this morning again from Catch, thats why we need an inferior manager? What logic is that? It really worked well with Carver, Pardew & his favourite Mclaren, Mclaren even had a better squad yet did a far worse job, the excuses he comes up with to cover his hatred of Rafa is amazing

• Rob1971

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:07 AM

See a bust up is starting on twitter with Craig Hope and Lee Ryder with the Lascelles and Richie story

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:09 AM

Rob,
    You can’t argue with that when it’s backed up with FACT from case studies of Ritalin and herds of sheep.

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:11 AM

The two sides were, in fairness, in completely different situations. Wolves manager Nuno Espirito Santo can call upon a genuinely impressive squad of players including, in one the best central midfield pairings in the league, the all-Portuguese central duo of Joao Moutinho and Ruben Neves. Newcastle, on the other hand, are woefully unstaffed. Rafael Benitez has worked wonders with a squad packed full of players who wouldn’t look out of place in the Championship, and feels unable to compete with bigger sides in open matches.
    ==============
    I like how the article states we have a squad that looks like a championship team. without benitez that’s where we’d be playing at the end of this season.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:14 AM

ilovetoon666 is either bi polar or a WUM as hibbit says. Calling for the gaffer to be sacked one day in the Championship without him the next. Never mind his 0-4 predictions every game.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:15 AM

whoa – Jib (bog pest) is starting the insults and abuse again – bit early even for him.

Jib – posted on here previously where I come from – Wallsend – if you could read a map you will see it is not south of the river – clot

• Jib

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Craig Hope of the Daily Fail
    A grade “A” shit stirrer
    I mean would you buy a second hand car from him ?

• Mister Tuff

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:17 AM

Catchy – ref your Leeds study – I would suspect results would be different if the sample of persons within the study were partisan football fans as opposed to a general cross section of persons.

• Jib

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:17 AM

Mr Tuff
    So you were lying before when you said you came from Gateshead ?

• Mister Tuff

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Pest – on the basis of lies and gaffes put into publication Craig Hope is way, way below you – so on that basis – I would buy a car from him before you.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:21 AM

Pest please provide post where I say I’m from Gateshead – never said it so you cannot – more lies again.

• Jib

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:22 AM

Or are you lying now ?
    The plot thickens !

• Jib

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:25 AM

You used to reminisce with Expat r.i.p.
    about times in Gateshead – I assumed you
    were from there.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:26 AM

Expat was from Low Fell not me.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:28 AM

Jiblets accusing people of lying. Like Walter Mitty accusing Pinocchio.

• Jib

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:30 AM

There you go
    Not so clottish really

• Munster Mag

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:35 AM

Jail, you slag off IloveToon for being a loon and predicting 0-4 results all the time. Thats crazy stuff out of him, but you’re as big a nutter for bracketing me with him, Kimbo etc. I have tried to explain to reasonable guys like RobLeenio why I think Rafa could attack the likes of Chelsea just a little more, and still maintain a strong defensive approach to a difficult game like that. Sadly Wolves showed us that, but they have quicker players than us, which would facilitate that. I still feel that with the number of internationals on our team, that we could have got a draw off Chelsea, at home, with the right ( very safe but occasionally more progressive) approach. I dont expect us to go toe to toe etc. But its important to remember that we are at home, and that we are not a 2nd division team. Hopefully Robleenio is right and Rafa will have us playing differently by the end of the season in games like this.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:36 AM

Munster,
    We very nearly got a draw.

• Munster Mag

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:43 AM

As for my overall support of Rafa, I still think the guy is great. A real unifier, brilliant on getting team spirit together and it was a pleasure to meet him in person and get a pic with my daughter , who is now an NUFC fan and will be keeping me posted on the Forest game as I will miss the first 20-30 mins I think. A really kind hearted man too, which I think counts for something. My negative analysis re Rafa comes from him being over conservative at times. but I appreciate the contraints like any normal fan and had little to moan about in the second half of last season. I also think he has done brilliantly so far on a crazy budget ( even though I think he might regret Mitro, who will score 15+ goals I reckon) . Speaking of transfers, did anyone else think that Ki looked like neither an attacker, defender, not creator the other day. Early days obviously but i thought he didnt look comfortable. Our squad is now deeper as Rafa seems to have used the Mitro money well, and I think we are in better nick playing Forest than we were last year.

• Munster Mag

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:48 AM

I know Jail. Although Yedlin cud have been pulled up for the elbow too and we hardly bothered the goalie beyond that. Im hoping RobLeenio is right and that Rafa can train them to be bother safe and occasionally adventurous as the season goes on, v Arsenal etc . I know we will be 11 behind the ball v City, but away from home v City I have no issue with that. I think home to Chelsea requires a tint bit more , and is not remotely as bad as facing City in Manchester. I dont share the views of some posters that Redknapp “has it in” for Rafa or NUFC . Mind u Souness is a different kettle of crap. Re the media, I like the way Carragher was sticking up for NUFC pre Cardiff. Fair play. Bellars was trying to stick the Ashley blade in though.

• A Pain in the Blog

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:50 AM

Munster #25

I agree re Ki. I was a bit disappointed in him, having had high expectations. I hope it was just the very restrictive circumstances of that match.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:52 AM

Moanster – ref Ki in the last game. He looked a bit lost. Might have be the tactics but I’ll be keen to see what happens during the oncoming games.

• DaveD1000

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:56 AM

Munster
    I think you answered your own concerns about Rafa there. He is getting on with operating to the best of his ability given the constraints he is under. Ki…I agree looked a big lost lump at times. Given the improvements of Dummett,Shelvey, Diame, and (ducking) Perez, I am hoping a sprinkling of Rafa dust will improve him as we go along.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:02 PM

Munster,
    I wouldn’t guarantee a footballing spectacle this season. It’s going to be a long horrible season.

• hibbit

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:06 PM

Jail for Ashley @ 9

ewe got that wrong it’s flocks of sheep you should know that being part of the flock

• hibbit

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:15 PM

Munster Mag
    if i’ve pick you up wrong i apologize,
    i still don’t get why you continually try to undermine Rafa’s management under very difficult circumstances

• MrMojoRisin76

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:16 PM

Chelsea had 1 more shot on target and one more corner than us for all their possession.We did try to attack them but when we got the ball back our passing was atrocious,giving the ball straight back,hoofing it out of play,balls into space nowhere near anyone,1st touch poor.

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:42 PM

A lot of people have said Rafa didn’t let the team attack or waited until after the pen to change tactics, I disagree.

What happened was when Chelsea got the pen the crowd cranked it up another level. The players took the pen as a kick up the arse, everyone found a half a yard and was quicker to everything. Which changed the outlook of game.

My only complaint the whole match was a lack of quality when we stole the ball and tried to counter. So many personnel changes may have contributed to this more. We had players trying to make runs but no one able to make the pass.

I’ve no problem with Rafa building from the back,it’s the only way foward with this squad.

Ask yourself this, Rafa lost that game 2-1 if Keegan was in charge with the same squad what would the score have been?

• RobLeenio

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:50 PM

Anyone going to the match tonight?

ShirebrookToon, jazzyp it’s virtually down the road for you lads isn’t it?

You can all find me in the pub

😉

• Munster Mag

Aug 29, 2018 at 1:17 PM

Hibbitt, maybe cos I’m a tool! 🙂

I think Rafa is a great gut compared to the level we are normally entitled too. I maintain that we can do better against the better teams at home, albeit in a small way. We have internationals on the pitch, Guys like Ki should be able to influence the game better. Same too Rondon, Ritchie, and hopefully the guys who are injured, when they are recovered. As RobLee said, maybe over time once rafa has them better drilled.