web analytics

This Player Could Turn Out To Be Our Surprise Best Signing Of The Summer

Federico Fernandez has been interviewed in the Chronicle Live today, and he finally made his debut last Saturday for Newcastle at home to Chelsea, and he had an excellent game.

He could well become our best center-back this season, and there is going to be some competition between Fernandez,  Schar, Clark, and Lascelles as to which players start games.

Fabian Schar also looked good on his debut, and he will improve as he gets used to the Premier League.

Federico Fernandez – a very talented central defender

This is what Federico said about his debut last Saturday:

“It was brilliant to finally make my debut at St James’ Park.”

“The stadium has a great atmosphere and I’m really happy to play my first game there,” Fernandez reflected upon his first Magpies appearance.”

“I tried to push myself and show a good game, and I’m really happy.”

“We have a few days to work in training, decide on the system we will play, and we will see if it’s the same.”

“It’s always positive to have played a system already, and we have done that now.”

“We need to stay in the game for as long as we can, to defend, move side to side, run a lot – and then attack when we can.”

“The lads all work so hard and will put another big effort in at Man City.”

“Hopefully, we get a positive result there – and a bit more luck.”

Fernandez’ £6M deal was done almost at the last minute of the transfer window and could turn out to be a significant signing for Newcastle.

He could well become the best signing of the summer for the club.

Rafa was delighted to get the defender who played for him at Napoli through the door, and it enables Rafa to have different formations at the back.

But since a number of our new players came in late in the window it has taken a few weeks for Fernandez and others to be ready to start games.

That’s one of the reasons Rafa wants players in early in the summer, so they are ready for the first game of the season.

It makes sense to us – why don’t Ashley and Charnley listen to Rafa?

He knows what he’s doing.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Manchester City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:27 AM

Jesper

I was making a statement to you.

I know your grasp of English is as poor as your grasp of football but even a numpty like you should see that.

Again ignoring me yet engaging me, strange.

Try a Theosaurus.

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:29 AM

Jesper

You’re a miner

You are

No you are

No you started it

Your argument is strong, no wonder you stay in, sick of being out witted in the playground by 6 year olds.

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:35 AM

Jesper sat and looked at the orange juice carton for 9 hours

It said

“concentrate”

• Jib

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:35 AM

What do you call a blind dinosaur?
    Do-you-think-he-saurus.

• AncientC

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:38 AM

I was just digging through my YouTube history and decided to look up Prefab Sprout—they always end up in there after a late one—and what do you know they are from Durham. That would explain it.

• Jib

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:39 AM

Ancient
    I think everyone but you knew they were mackems

• AncientC

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:41 AM

Apparently Bony is set to leave Swansea as they cannot afford his wages. What a waste of space. And to think some people wanted him at Newcastle.

• AncientC

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:45 AM

Oh Jib, Mackems, eh? That lesser human species. Can you spot them by how far apart their eyes are? Do they give of a distinct scent?

Or maybe you are just a bigot. Worth thinking about.

• Jib

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:45 AM

I was just digging through my YouTube history and guess what ?

Wilfried Bony has nowt to do with Boney M

amazing or what ?

• Jib

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:47 AM

According to AncientC
    Calling Sunlun fans mackems on a Newcastle footy blog
    is bigotry !!!!!!!

I think your mask just slipped there bonny lad

• AncientC

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:51 AM

Jib, where did I call you a bigot; would you care to read my post again? I thought you had a knowledge of semantics. I guess not…

• Jib

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:53 AM

Ancient
    wriggle wriggle – you’ve had a good teacher in Jezza

• AncientC

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:56 AM

To be fair here, I am locking horns with somebody that has experienced ego death thousands of times on this blog. I probably should steer clear of Jib.

If I were to humiliate him again, he probably wouldn’t even fully experience it. Jib would go back to listening to Mozart and foreign language studies for a few hours. If you can believe that is what he does in his spare time. (We all know he practically lives on the blog)

• RobLeenio

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:56 AM

Ancient C, I would suggest that calling folk from Sunderland and fans of SAFC ‘Mackems’ is less bigoted than suggesting that the opinions of fans of NUFC who were not born and raised in the North East are less relevant on this blog.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:03 AM

Missed the bus spectacularly
    We suffered more plus five defeats under Pardew than every other PL manager here combined. He not only equalled the consecutive record loss countless times before smashing it with a six before stepping down and allowing Carver the honour of all time losses.
    We’ve never been hit for five under Rafa and our heads are held high after his two and a half years here. So you all be very careful what you wish for, those wanting a change.

• Jib

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:04 AM

AncientC
    About what you believe I do or don’t do.

Frankly my dear

• Just a fan

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:06 AM

Sunderland once voted on there nickname and I believe mackem came out second top.

• AncientC

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:06 AM

Robleenio, when I want your opinion, I shall ask for it.

You may have noticed before now that I generally ignore you when you are attempting to be ‘friendly.’

• AncientC

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:09 AM

Robleenio, let’s not forget the time you called Asians fans standing in St. James’ park “freaks”. How tolerant was that, may I ask?

In your own time…

• Ron Knee

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:10 AM

“Freddie Woodman earns England under-21 call-up

“The Newcastle goalkeeper has been named in the Young Lions squad for the upcoming qualifiers against Holland and Latvia.”

• AncientC

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:10 AM

What was your explanation again, Robleenio? It wasn’t that they were “Asian,” it was because they had skinny legs and looked like freaks. Okay, got it.

• RobLeenio

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:11 AM

PompousC, it’s a blog and I will give my opinion when I feel it is required. Including when I think you are being a hypocrite

AncientC
    Jul 20, 2018 at 9:37 AM
    RobLeenio, somebody who knows nothing about being born or raised in the North East, telling everybody how they should feel about their football club. Gotta admire that.

AncientC
    Jul 20, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    Robleenio, do you know what a lickspittle is? I am not sure. You are not really from the North East, so I cannot tell. No matter how much you try to amalgamate yourself, Newcastle will never be your birthright, sorry about that.

• Jib

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:13 AM

AncientC
    When I want your opinion, I shall ask for it.

Whoops doesn’t really “get” blogging methinks

• RobLeenio

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:14 AM

I think the other part of my explanation on that point which you conveniently missed out was that I wasn’t looking at their race and hadn’t even noticed it, I was commenting on their generally glum demeanor and huge quantities of SD carrier bags. Their race was evidently the first thing you noticed, however.

Also, I apologised for my indiscretion and again I admit I was wrong, which is something you have singularly failed to do.

• AncientC

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:14 AM

Robleenio, but you are a ‘lickspittle.’

I don’t have anything personally against you, but reading your posts is quite toe-curling. Trying too hard to be liked is my guess. No harm in trying I guess.

• G

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:18 AM

I pine for the days of this becoming a football blog again. A lot of people, including myself don’t bother much any more because it’s more about grudges, petty arguments, and politics than it is about football. Makes me wonder why Ed bothers, as because I would have wrapped my cans a long time ago with all of this personal ego massaging that goes on in this blog. Give it a rest guys, start talking football, stop talking sh**e.

• AncientC

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:18 AM

Ever notice how Robleenio attempts to shield Jib… but he is nowhere to be seen when other nefarious comments are raised by Jib in the direction of others. Munster Mag has a thick skin, that is all I can say on the subject.

Yeah, Robleenio was probably absent that day… he didn’t see anything. Birds of a feather stick together, as they say.

• catchy in norway

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:19 AM

He parked the bus vs Chelsea, and while chelsea have good players, there no where near the level of player at Man C. chelsea don’t have an Drogba up front, they have Hazzard and he is there big big player, we kind of stopped him, and i don’t think it needed the whole team to do that.

Man C have arguably the best CF in the prem, with some of the best attack minded MF players in the world , and somebon the bench. the speed of which City play at is relentless as appossed to chelsea where everything goes through Hazzard. Alonso imo is the second best attacker.
    we had home advantage and we bottled it. plain and simple.

Pardew had 1 and a 1/2 good games where he went toe to toe with man u Arsenal, we lost both games 4-3 7-3. but against man u the players walked of head held high, knowing they just gave them a great game. Ars game, again toe to toe, when at 3–3 P45 reverted back to the norm, shut up shop, retreat, 7-3. it is all about mentality.
    Wolves last week got battered possession wise, i think it was 28%, but it was what they did when they had it. a draw or a 2-1 defeat, wolves players walk of positive to then take on the likes of us, who are mentally weak, and have a great manger who plays hoofball,

that’s not tactics, that’s just cowardly. Rafa shows less and less faith in his players week by week. the players will crawl into shells and hide

• RobLeenio

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:21 AM

lickspittle
    ?l?ksp?t(?)l/Submit
    noun
    a person who behaves obsequiously to those in power.

Such as using the image of a political leader as your avatar?

• AncientC

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:25 AM

Robleenio, there is a difference between respect and being a sycophant, you are fast learning the difference.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:28 AM

Great signing.

• RobLeenio

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:29 AM

G, sorry, you’re right.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:31 AM

Mike Ashley and his childish antics again. I’m upset I haven’t been invited to training!! He bloody owns the club, he can turn up wherever he likes. But why would he want to go to training when he can’t be bothered to go to matches. I don’t recall him going to training under Pardew and he gave him an 8 year deal.

• Ron Knee

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:38 AM

More desperate spinning from Keith Bishop.

• hibbit

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:41 AM

catchy
    you asked 2 questions yesterday you were quick to point out when i only answered 1
    i asked you 1 question and still no reply ?????

• hibbit

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:44 AM

ronaldo/ron
    how low will this guy go

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:44 AM

Ashley hasn’t done anywhere enough for the football side to be welcome at training or matches. It’s ridiculous to think Rafa would align himself with Ashley, as opposed to the fans or the players. Ashley needs to deliver if he wants to enjoy the magnificent club he owns. Simple as that.