web analytics

Newcastle Are In Good Shape And Can Be Successful This Season

Dubravka is with the Slovakian squad international duty, and he was an unused substitute in Wednesday’s 3-0 friendly win against a weakened Denmark side.

However, Martin will likely start the game against Ukraine in the new UEFA Nations League this coming Sunday.

Slovakia finished second to England in Group F of the World Cup qualifying, and Martin is keen for his country to qualify for the UEFA Nations League finals next year and then the year after that we have the UEFA 2020 Championships.

Martin Dubravka – during the interview

This is what the Newcastle number one goalkeeper had to say on the Newcastle website today:

“I don’t agree if anyone says we are not in a good shape.”

“We’ve played against very tough opponents and in all of the games, they were very close and we’ve missed a little bit of luck, especially against Tottenham.”

“We could easily have taken a draw against Chelsea and unfortunately we didn’t win against Cardiff, but we created chances and stood compact.”

“And if we play like we did against Manchester City – especially in the second half – we can be successful.”

“We hoped that we could change something (at City) – we tried to stay focused for the full 90 minutes, but of course it’s difficult when you play against Man City at their stadium.”

“It was a tough game but it showed that we have brilliant players ourselves and we have confidence for the next games.”

“Every time when I go to the national team, I really look forward to seeing my team mates and the coaching staff. It’s great, the mood there – the same as at Newcastle.”

Martin is not only an excellent goalkeeper but he has a great character and temperament and is already extremely popular with the Newcastle fans.

At £4M he is a terrific acquisition by Rafa Benitez and the Recruitment staff under the leadership of Steve Nickson.

• Bobbybee

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:02 PM

Rob, Nathan Harker played in goal against Donny Rovers the other night mate, not Woody. I assume Woody was, away on U21 duty?

• RobLeenio

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:04 PM

Ah, cheers Bobby – my mistake.

I think I knew that to be fair, I’d just forgotten. Harker’s the nephew of my next door neighbours. They were very excited when he was sent to Portugal with the first team last season.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:11 PM

Jeezus.H.Christos, I’m glad I’m at work, it’s died a death on here. For the record I thought that calling catchy a c**t and other insults was bang out of order the other day, mass debater was quite funny but a bit over the top calling him a c***.

• RobLeenio

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:18 PM

So Aarons has managed to get a club, Slovan Liberec.

That’s got to be a good thing for him, a chance to play football in a senior first 11 and raise his profile.

• hibbit

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:33 PM

Rolando Aarons leaves on loan
    He’s joined Czech side Slovan Liberec on loan until January.

Lee Ryder
    ?
    @lee_ryder
    Rolando Aarons completes loan move to FC Slovan Liberec. #nufc

• hibbit

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:36 PM

sorry rob i don’t know how i missed your post,
    senior moment possibly LOL

• RobLeenio

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:43 PM

LOL hibbit – you phrased it more elegantly….

• RobLeenio

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:54 PM

Apparently Martin Dubravka helped to get the deal done, giving his old club a glowing reference to Aarons. It also sounds like Rafa’s been working his charm on the Sporting Director at Liberec.

Sometimes two clubs find good common ground – I’d expect to see more cooperation between NUFC and Liberec in the future, possibly more young players going their way on loan for eg if Aarons enjoys it. What an experience it could be, proper eye-opener.

I’d rather be there than Blackpool, for eg.