web analytics

Benitez To Take Positives And Move Forward – Could Field This Strong Side On Saturday

Rafa Benitez has already proved he can take the pressure at Newcastle and he seems to have nerves of steel.

The 58-year-old is hardly one to panic as he implores the fans to keep calm during this tough start to the season.

He will be saying the same thing to his players in training this week.

Newcastle have an excellent chance to register our first win of the season at Selhurst Park on Saturday in the seventh game played, but it will not be easy.

Salomon Rondon – should start on Saturday

We’ve played well only in patches so far this season, and the lads have to be more consistent and cut out the mistakes.

There have been way too many of those mistakes so far this season.

This is what Rafa has said on nufcTV:

“We were disappointed against Arsenal because two goals of quality made the difference,”

“But in the first half we showed something really positive; the team was on top of them, we were pushing, we were creating, and we were close so I think we deserved more.

“But then we conceded a free-kick into the top corner, and we conceded the second goal too early.

“That meant we were a little more exposed during the second half when we were more open, and afterward we scored the goal but it was too late to react.”

“When your team is not doing well or not winning, then you have to try and take the positives.”

“The positive for us was the approach in the first half; the way that the team played, with intensity and determination, which is what we have to do in every single game.

“But we need to learn how to manage these situations when we have something against us. It’s experience and something that we have to learn quickly.”

We expect Jonjo Shelvey, Salomon Rondon,  and Kenedy to start the game against Crystal Palace and maybe this could be the starting eleven – if Jamaal Lascelles is fit to play.

Dubravka
Yedlin Lascelles (c) Fernandez Dummett
Shelvey Diame
Ritchie Perez Kenedy
Salomon

That’s a strong team and hopefully can come home with the bacon – in this case – all 3 points.

• Optimistic Panda

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:18 AM

Jesper

you revel in playing the victim, go suck your thumb.. You’re

You’re neither use nor ornament, youre like a fart in a space suit.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:18 AM

From previous article, the £300 valuation seems to be based on all marketing / logo rights being included with the ownership of stadium, traing ground, team and staff. For it to be a straight forward transaction our current owner would need to for go any continued interest in any commercial contracts with the club. Then hopefully we will see the back of shitedirect.

• RobLeenio

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM

I dunno, Ed – I think Joselu may start again. Rondon is no doubt the better player, but Joselu has an ability to work on a team’s defence and tire them out so Rondon can come in against at tired legs.

I think we’ve been missing Shelvey for his closing down of the opposition midfield as well as his creativity. I hope he’s back this week, he is the heart of our team and strategy.

• Reilly

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:27 AM

Lee Charnley likes ladyboys.Pass it on.

• Our Toon

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:33 AM

Joselu shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting line up

• Our Toon

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:36 AM

Martoon

Spot on, rafa is criticised for odd subs and team selection and it’s only right that he is. Doesn’t necessarily mean people want him gone, just means fans are being objective. There’s a few things I could add to that but if it was another manager then the majority of the blog would be up in arms, because it’s rafa they’ll happily say nothing. In my eyes that’s deluded and that’s why we see seen as deluded in some quarters

• RobLeenio

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:43 AM

Our Toon, he’s scored a couple of goals against some of the best defenders in the Prem, he’s worked hard and his play has been improved from last season.

He may not be the striker we would all like him to be, but you have to give credit where it’s due.

• martoon

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:48 AM

Our Toon – Cheers – You and I often don’t agree but that surely is the whole point of the comments section?

• martoon

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:52 AM

RobLeenio @7 – When you think about it Joselu is the striker version of Mike Williamson – works hard and always gives his best but just not quite good enough 😉

• A Pain in the Blog

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:52 AM

There are not many teams that are so reliant on one player as Palace and Zaha. It may be that Rafa moves away from his standard tactics and man marks Zaha for the entire match. You would think that Diame or Ki would be prime candidates for this role but Schär could probably do a job too or even Ritchie.

Which position would he sacrifice in his well-honed structure to make way for this roving role? You would think not Shelvey or Diame, who are so essential in breaking up opposition attacks, creating our counter-attacking chances and protecting the back four. So it would have to be the Perez role – withdrawn striker, number ten, most advanced defender – however you see that role.

The alternative is the disciplined team defending that has become our standard way of playing this season (due to the opposition we have faced) and you wouldn’t really bet against that being his option. But if ever there was a team whose potential could be so affected by man marking their star it has to be Palace

• jazzyp

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:42 AM

OP

You about mate
    Are ya meeting up with AC,Shirebrook and I for the Brighton game??

• jazzyp

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:46 AM

Staveley offered 280M for NUFC did she not? And the talks were branded a complete waste of time. He currently values us at over 400M. All of a sudden, 300M will do it? Bollocks. He’s already fed up of the resistance from fans-keep going. Drive the bastard out.

• Spellcheck

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:57 AM

I passed Joselu down on the Quayside on Monday, so miserable looking he is. If it was a Toon striker of any recognition I’m guessing he couldn’t just walk around without anybody recognising him. Here’s hoping Ashley sells up sooner rather than later, as the way our great club is being run is a nightmare to say the least. I’m very worried we’ll be still in the premier league next season. Our squad is just too weak. Quality is lacking in every area of the pitch.

• toon kk

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:59 AM

Our toon
    If it was any other manager, most fans would have wanted him oot by now or at least being up in arms with his tactics and predictable game plan that was found out by other clubs along time ago. Yes he’s world class but a so called world class manager only gets that reputation through being lucky enough to have world class players.

• kimbo

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:00 PM

Ashley has probably taken £100m out of the club this season so he has reduced his asking price to £300M.

• RobLeenio

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:01 PM

I’ve been thinking George Caulkin has been very quiet. He was one journo you thought actually had some connection with the Staveley camp. I’ll be keen to hear what he has to say about Ashley apparently lowering his price, given his tweet in the Summer along the lines of “she hasn’t gone away, but won’t be bidding at £400M”.

He generally tweets daily (as do most journos) but hasn’t done so the last few days.

• Optimistic Panda

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:04 PM

Jazzy

I’m moving house that day and I’m best man for my mate who’s stag do is also that day.

However I like a challenge so I’ll do my best to meet for a pint or two..

• jazzyp

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:05 PM

Rob

Ashley repeated the same lie last year about him being a willing seller. He talked about staged payments. He was offered all of that. He rejected it and increased the price to £400m. Turn the heat up now. Don’t believe a word until a sale is done.

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:06 PM

I’m not going if Jazzy is going. He stood me up for Chelsea game 😆

How’s it going jazzy pal? Hope your well mate

• Optimistic Panda

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:06 PM

The grass is greener elsewhere

• jazzyp

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:07 PM

OP

Now I know you are lying cos you ain’t got no mates hahaha.No problem pal it was just Ac mentioned a get together for the game that was all. He’s trying to convert his kid from being a red so one last hell marie

• Optimistic Panda

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:09 PM

Jazzy

He’s a mackem

• Optimistic Panda

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:10 PM

Don’t worry though, I threw him in Tyne twice on derby day.

• Optimistic Panda

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:12 PM

Oh no I must be a wum, I have friends from Sunderland

• jazzyp

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:13 PM

Shirebrook

Hey mate how’s tricks. I’ve been suffering quite a few pressure build ups with the Meningitis bud if I’m honest. Off today as I have another scan at Kings mill Mri mobile centre.
    You going Brighton mate?? That’s the next game I am up

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:14 PM

OP

Could be worse. Could have relatives from there 😆

• jazzyp

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:14 PM

OP

You’ve blown it now mate…Que Jibs attack on OP

• Optimistic Panda

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:16 PM

Jazzy

I have friends in lots of different places, some are high some are low down

• Optimistic Panda

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:17 PM

If I turn up and Shire is Mike Ashley I don’t be happy

• Optimistic Panda

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:17 PM

Wont

• Optimistic Panda

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM

I’ve been to quite a few Gateshead matches with him as he jacked his ticket 4 years ago.

It’s a canny day out, smoggies mags and mackems sat together in their respective tops having a laugh supporting the same team..

Cracking day out.

• jazzyp

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM

OP

You wont be happy then Bud. Why do you think he has soo much inside info wink wink

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Jazzy

Shite mate. Holiday from hell, been on deaths door ever since. Got solicitors on the case to sew the fcuking lot.

Sounds like you’ve been through some shit aswell mate. Tell you full story through private message mate later. Need a good catch up

• RobLeenio

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:23 PM

jazzy, you had meningitis? Hope you’re recovering well. My son had the one of the bacterial forms last Summer and he was in hospital for a couple of weeks. All better now, though, thank goodness.

• Optimistic Panda

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:24 PM

I’m 2nd thoughts I wont make it, I’m too healthy to hang with disease ridden tourists

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:25 PM

OP

If I was mike Ashley I would have shot myself by now.

• jazzyp

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:26 PM

Shirebrook

Sorry to here that pal. I wondered where you were at as I hadn’t heard from you for a bit.
    Hope ya better now buddy

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:28 PM

OP

Not us that have mackem mates. Keep them diseases to yourself

• jazzyp

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:31 PM

Rob

Cheers mate and yeah I had Bacterial meningitis back in 2014. Intensive care the job lot.I lost no limbs but unfortunately have a blood disorder now which causes pressure build ups up and down my spine, Which in turn causes pressure build ups in my head.. Something I have to live with I’m afraid.
    But hey I am alive and have a loving family so all is good in life. Just need a few wins on the board mate to put some smiles back on our faces

• Rotonda heights

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:34 PM

KK

Can’t think of many, if any, who could have got us 10th with this squad.

We’ve just played arguably the top 4 teams and have had many decisions and bad luck go against us.
    Hopefully the wheel will start to turn. I know talk of a 300M sale is just that, – talk, but just thinking about it has lifted my spirits somewhat, despite the lying, greedy bar steward’s track record.